5.0 out of 5 stars Aging with clarity....
First things first. 311, singer Nick Hexum,Chad Sexton,"SA" Doug Martinez, guitarist Tim Mahoney and thunder bassist P-Nut are a good time positivity driven group that in no way is going for the whole angst/rap/rock trend (Bizkit,Roach,etc.). So, get that out of your head, and lets not try to draw comparisons between them. After breaking it big in 1996 with...
Published on June 20, 2001 by Jon H

3.0 out of 5 stars I was looking for something original
Every album 311 seems to come up with something different for their fans, but this cd seems to try to repeat the blue album over again. Dont get me wrong, I think this is an album worth buing by a great band, but the blue album is almost the exact same style. Its obvious that "Wake your mind up" is a replica of the blue albums "Hive" and isnt worth...
Published on July 26, 2001 by Troy

‹ Previous | 119 20 21 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Of 311, July 21, 2001
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
311's Soundsystem 2 me was a good cd but from chaos takes 311's music to new heights. Here's the scoop.
1. an ok song i guess. 3.5/5
11. hummm 3.5/5
12. cool song. 4/5

2.0 out of 5 stars "From Chaos" ??? More like "From Compost", June 22, 2001
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
I have been an avid 311 fan since back in the day. Up until now, each of their CDs has been a fresh, original take on modern rock (of which 311's brand only recently has been dubbed "rap-rock", a shame since it shares the category with a bunch of studio-generated garbage - you know who). I don't know what they were going after on this CD, but I REALLY hope that they are not trying to play to the market. Every one of their CDs so far has been like a different band, but always a good band. (For example, with 311 you could never say "If you liked ____, you'll LOVE ___ -- because they're sound has changed a lot) While the 311 vibe is there on this release, as is the excellent musical ability of the band, this CD is just not that fun to listen to. If they were searching for greater commercial success and recognition, I doubt this will achieve it. If they were again trying to reinvent themselves within their genre (as they have successfully done again and again), they indeed may have succeeded, but at what price? I do not recommend this CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars 311 Loses Their Beat on this CD, February 17, 2003
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
While I was reading these reviews, I was amazed at how many people raved that 'From Chaos' was the best album since their self-titeld release. You people cannot be true 311 fans if you think this CD even compares to 'Music' or the Blue Album. Soundsystem was a great CD with a fresh 311 sound, but on From Chaos, there are only a handful of songs that I consider 311 worthy. Songs like 'You Get Worked', 'I Told Myself', and 'Sick Tight', are just knock offs of the Blue Album. From Chaos, Amber, Hostile Apostle and Full Ride are the only songs that reflect 311's style. All in all, I'd say that From Chaos is my least favorite 311 CD, but it is worth the money if you are a real fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, April 8, 2003
Yoshi (Atlanta, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
Although this isnt 311's best work, its still a decent release.
You Get Worked 9/10- Great opener reminds me of songs from the blue album, although SA voices gets annoying in the chorus
Sick Tight 10/10- Awsome, fast paced song. Very fun to listen to.
You Wouldnt Believe 4/10- Alright im not gonna front. this song was cool the first few times I heard it but now its got pretty stale. The gutairs are so [weak] in this song. Good bass line though.
Full Ride 9/10- Nice metal intro, cool lyrics, all around good song.
From Chaos 6/10- The song starts off promising but seems dragged out once you get into it, nothing to write home about.
I Told Myself 8/10- Good tune, although not perfect I usually listen to it everytime and never skip.
Champagne 10/10- Outstanding mellow tune. The perfect song to relax to.
Hostle Apostle 8/10- Good opening and closing gutairs, and the raps were good. Overall a good song.
Wake Your Mind Up 9/10- Love listening to this song in the dark ;) the vocals gutairs drums are sweet as hell. One of my fav. 311 songs.
Amber 6/10- Okay, but it is way to overplayed.
Uncalm 9/10- Great song with a mean ... gutair riff.
I am not gonna comment on Ill Be Here Awhile...

2.0 out of 5 stars uuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhh, July 20, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
I found this CD, actually not mine, and at first I thought it really rocked, but the more I listened the more all the music seemed become a blur of noise...nothing very memorable save Amber, maybe. Don't buy this CD, save your money. I don't feel this music at all..its just annoying with that "SA" guy who can't rap at all...the high nasal whinning sounds of Eminem or something...and Nicks voice is so monotonus, sounds lika robot. Anyway theres not much to this CD, just the same old same old. Either their pushing it too much or boring the [stuff]out of you. Pretty [bad]. Don't bother. Oh, and by the way, No Doubt and RHCP ARE way better, I'd buy their stuff over this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda disappointed long time fan, July 7, 2001
michael e shannon (Chambersburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
Their new cd is ok at best.Unfortunately Im an old fan from Music and Grassroots. this isnt the same band that wrote those cd's. this is the same band that wrote soundsystem.This cd is a little too pop and radio friendly for me I think. the cd does have some high points but has as many songs that I prefer not to listen to. If you liked soundsystem, you will probably like this release.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointed, July 15, 2001
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
Before the album came out, 311music.com said that this was going to be a beautiful album. Instead, it turns out to sound like "Grassroots," only 5 times worse. Nick Hexum cannot write lyrics to save his life, and plenty of the songs sound similar, such as "You Get Worked" and "Wake Your Mind Up."

1.0 out of 5 stars Dude, where's the rock?, June 19, 2001
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
This album is really awful. My mom kind of digs it, but otherwise it doesn't get played at all. I think it's safe to say that 311 went "Britney" on this album, with all the recycled beats and songs about female "empowerment". It doesn't really sound good though. I actually ran into Nick Hexum a few weeks back and he had nothing but good things to say about this album. I asked if I could sneak a listen to a few tracks so we went out to his car and turned it up. And then I turned it off. Who do these guys think they are, Janet Jackson?! I gave Nick my honest take on the four songs he let me listen to and he took a few minutes to fully digest it. And then he punched me in the face. He said that "in the end, revenge sends zen to the defendant." And I said that "in the end, SA Martinez is a flower and a [bad]MC!" before sprinting away. I definitely liked these guys better when they were called C&C Music Factory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good..., January 15, 2006
Amy (Cupertino, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
I'm not a 311 hater, it's just that I think this cd has a lot of filler. I borrowed it, because I liked the song Amber (and still do) and thats probably the only song I enjoyed on the cd. His voice can get annoying after a while. I don't really like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great, April 4, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: From Chaos (Audio CD)
This was a good CD. A couple tracks, such as Champagne, I'll Be Here A While, and Amber, are completley addictive. The rest of the cd is just simply fair, simple electric guitar licks to fair drumming and easy vocals. Like I said earlier, though, the other 3 are REALLY good, musically.
You probably won't notice the musicallity though cuz if you are listening to 311, chances are you are high.
Therefore I suggest this. Buy it used. I wouldnt pay $12 for it though. Because if you like 311, you probably cant afford the $12 anyway cause you blew all of your money on pot.
311 - From Chaos = FSBS, For Stoners By Stoners.
Maybe thats why I dont like the rest of the cd?

‹ Previous | 119 20 21 | Next ›

From Chaos
From Chaos by 311 (Audio CD - 2001)