4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful memories, insightful objectivity
Published 13 months ago by Wendy Keller

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises
As a former member of the WCG I can relate! Really stirred up some old memories. I felt anxiety and at times anger. Those years molded me more than I realized.
Published 2 months ago by Nancy Sauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful memories, insightful objectivity, October 31, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
To be clear, I've only read into chapter 17 as I begin this review. I so resonated with whomever is telling her story in chapter 16 that I had to step away from the Kindle for a few minutes to gulp down the tears and rage. My parents joined when I was six. I didn't know any better...until I left and finally saw the wonderful, loving, colorful, creative, interesting world that exists on the other side of the concentration camp wall.

I will finish the book, because all of us females who lived the horrors and traumas, suppression and depression of WCG must read this. Whether you stayed with "the church" when it transformed, as Ms Graham chose to do, or you are still running from it, as I am, it is important that we acknowledge the profound ways in which WCG shaped our lives (Is "deformed" a better word? Perhaps so!)

Nonetheless, I appreciate the incredible community I had in WCG. I still love many of my old friends. As the former Mrs Jeff Zhorne, I endured an enormous tragedy in 1991. The brethren were unfathomably kind, helpful, loving and supportive after it occurred, including Ms Graham herself. But fearing for my eternal life, I endured and lied about the true things going on behind the scenes in my life, my marriage, my heart and my church. I thought I was doing God's will, despite knowing that something wasn't right. I lacked the strength to stand up for my personal truths. For females in WCG, thinking was not a welcome talent.

To me, the constant training in submission was like I imagine those factory farmed chickens might feel, stuffed into the long rows, crowded, miserable, and...never able to see the sunshine or the beauty of the world around them, never allowed to fully become what they are, kept only for egg laying or breeding or for someone to consume.

I've become successful as a woman and a business owner, a FB blogger and a mother since leaving WCG, but there are dark areas of my psyche where I snap into a damaging behavior or a harmful belief that was founded in the indoctrination I endured in the cult in which I feel I was raised. I am permanently distorted from the experience. This book reminds me that I am not alone. Ms Graham does a great job of writing with objectivity and research blended with anecdotes that will surely resonate in whole or part with all of us who endured the misogyny and spiritual vacuousness that was Mr Armstrong's WCG.

4.0 out of 5 stars From Faith to Fear a Journey Worth Taking, September 12, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
I commend Sheila for tackling the difficult task of telling the stories of the women, past and present, of the Worldwide Church of God. Our journeys of faith were each unique while at the same time in common with others who walk this road of Christian faith. Sheila shares both the positive and negative, and recounts the events of the transition without rancor or judgment. Although the inclusion of personal stories makes the flow of the book seem a little disjointed at times, these stories are the heart of the book. I definitely recommend "From Faith to Fear".

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankful, November 21, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
I am a male who grew up in WCG. My parents were members from the late 40s and are still members of GCI today. While my wife and I no longer attend, we continue to support the denomination and are thankful for what Jesus has done through it these past 20 years, including what Ms. Graham eloquently and passionately wrote. There are many, many stories that will continue to be told about this group and the changes it went through and the cost / blessings of those changes to the organization and to its members. Even to the children and teens who went through the changes with their parents or in spite of their parents.

Thank you for your candid and encouraging look at the patience, sacrifice, faith of these saints. We have wholeheartedly recommended this book to family members and friends. It is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story that Needs to be Told., October 2, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
Someone once said, "Everyone has a story and their story needs to be told." This is what Sheila Graham successfully accomplished in her book, "From Fear to Faith." She gave a voice to the women, past and present, of the Worldwide Church of God, to share their unique stories as they all journeyed through the years in WCG. Her willingness to stand in the gap, by providing the platform where lives of faith can be shared without judgment, promotes healing and stands as a testimony to her faith, courage and strength. I definitely recommend "From Fear to Faith."

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding their voice. ., January 30, 2014
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
This is a specific story about a specific group of women in a very specific circumstance. . .trying to find themselves and their place in their church and more broadly in society. . .but their stories transcend their circumstances. Women trying to find their way in a man's world. . .whether it be in their work, their faith or their identity, continue to struggle to find where they fit. When we can read about those who have found their voice and their strength, no matter the circumstance, it can give us a vision on how to find our own way too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of WCG history and how it affected women, December 7, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
A great mix of Worldwide Church of God history, along with the (frequently overlooked) stories of how this affected women. In some cases, men on the bottom end of the hierarchy might tell similar stories of oppression and grace. The sociology and psychology were different for every person, it seems, but there's no question that the doctrines and ethos gave women serious disadvantages. Although attitudes cannot be changed in an instant, thankfully there has been much improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, February 5, 2014
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
Sheila has written a heartfelt & revealing account of our lives & experiences. At times sad and yet showing the power of the enduring faith that has brought us through complete transformation & into grace.

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises, September 17, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening!, October 7, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read! Very informative. This story has needed to be told so that these women can heal. Hopefully, now their relationship with Christ can blossom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and moving!, November 22, 2013
This review is from: From Fear to Faith (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful book! It is a beautiful journey of faith, sharing and love. I highly recommend it for everyone!

From Fear to Faith