Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: From the Heart: Eight Rules to Live By
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 9, 2008
From: [...]
Author & Book Views On A Healthy Life!

A FirstLook Feature

Book Review: From the Heart: Eight Rules to Live By (Hyperion, 2008) by Robin Roberts

Robin Roberts is a co-anchor of ABC's Good Morning America. Prior to this, she was an anchor of ESPN's Sports Center for more than 15 years. Robin believes that rules have purpose because they teach us invaluable lessons like discipline and responsibility.

Robin Roberts paperback memoir includes a new chapter this time around in which she's added a new rule to live by. Following up on her original seven rules:

1. Position yourself to take the shot.
2. Dream big, but focus small. "Dreams are vague and far away. Goals are tangible and achievable."
3. If at first you don't succeed dive back in. "It isn't always the smartest, most talented, prettiest, or most charismatic person who has the most success." Don't let rejection hold you back from your achievements.
4. Never play the race, gender, or any other card.
5. Venture outside your comfort zone. "To stop growing is to stop living."
6. Focus on the solution, not the problem.
7. Keep faith, family, and friends close to your heart. "My faith, family, and friends are the foundation upon which everything else rests."

As Robin's newest rule to live by, she states her mother's old saying: "Make your mess your message."

This last chapter of From the Heart is a memoir of Robin's journey through cancer. While crying she wrote, "I was asked to write an entire book about my experience with cancer. I respectfully declined. Cancer is no more than a chapter in my life. And it will not be the last chapter."

Shortly after Joel Siegel's death from colon cancer, Robin Roberts discovered her own tumor as a lump in her breast (2007). Fearing the worst, she almost "chickened out" of telling her doctor--but instead took the shot. Focusing on the small things which helped her attain her dream of being cancer-free, Robin had a biopsy, partial mastectomy, chemo, and later radiation. When she felt depressed, Robin kept on fighting. She says she never used the "excuse" of having cancer to keep her from achieving her goals.

Robin speaks of her wonderful doctors, supportive friends like Diane Sawyer, and opportunities, such as traveling to the Middle East on a breast cancer awareness initiative with First Lady Laura Bush. Talking about her disease publicly on Good Morning America, was how she raised her own awareness campaign of turning her mess into her message.

Robin Roberts has no familial history of breast cancer, as many of us do not. But she was successfully diagnosed early, treated, and has recovered--most of this in the public's view. We can see that Robin is a survivor. True to her own life rules, Robin puts a happy face on her cover, commits to eradicating cancer from her body, and moves on--an example to us all.

5 Stars
on September 6, 2012
Felt like Robin was in my living room talking to me. Loved the book. Would recommend it to anyone going through changes in their life.
on September 17, 2013
I wish I read a book like this when I was younger. I seriously suggest that if you know a teen or someone in their early twenties, you will buy them this book. Makes a great high school or college graduation gift. Just old school principles that are not taught enough anymore. For older readers, there are still many insights and inspirations for everyday living. This book will encourage you to go out and pursue your dreams, but does not sugarcoat the work that will be involved.
on March 14, 2011
I am beginning to read more again and this was a good start. The book was easy reading and almost like a conversation with an old friend. I have recommended this book to others and purchased three more for family members. Great job, Robin.
on November 13, 2013
Ms. Roberts writes in a voice that puts the reader in a conversation with her bestfriend. This book has a message and allows the reader to really connect with the author's voice as well as the very important message.
on August 16, 2012
Robin writes this with such clarity. I love when she says breast cancer is only one chapter in her life.She is a true inspiration to many people. Her comments about what her mama taught her still ring in my head.
on January 31, 2013
Robin Roberts is an amazing woman and it comes through in this book. She has shared so many things about her life that if you did not love her before, you will after you read her book. The book is filled with inspirational words that we can all live by no matter how old or young you are. I highly recommend this to anyone, young or old, male or female.
on July 1, 2013
A beautiful sol such as Robin Roberts can do nothing but write a soul-touching book. Her positive outlook inspires me to see more brightness in my own future.
on May 4, 2013
One of the best books I have read in a long time. If you watch GMA and love her than this is the book for you. Highly recommend it.
on November 13, 2012
Reading the book "From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live by" was truly an inspirational book about Robin Robert's life and how she has been faced with constant trials and tribulations throughout her life and how she has overcome life's troubles to succeeed and be on top. I liked reading about her life's story and the tough decisions she has had to make through her life. I remember seeing her on ESPN's sportcenter when I was young and now she is on GMA. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to read a good book.