4.0 out of 5 stars It's Called the "Bootleg" Box, Folks!
So far I have made it through the first two discs. I don't think the sound is nearly as bad as some of the other reviewers. If you are familiar with "real" bootleg recordings from this era, it isn't bad at all, and Vancouver is excellent. What do you want from a a cult band 35 years ago? Lots of raw energy and prett hard-driving rock, freed from the studio production.
Published on June 18, 2010 by VelvetOrange

3.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of their Time, December 17, 2006
As a Dolls fan, I bought this item as soon as I saw it. The song selection

is excellent, and is an amazing career overview. The only down side(although

not for me) is the sound quality. If that would deter one from buying this,

your not as big a Dolls fan as you may have thought you were. A must have for any serious fan of The New York Dolls.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Called the "Bootleg" Box, Folks!, June 18, 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the demos?, June 14, 2006
This review is from: From Here to Eternity (Audio CD)
First of all, the track listing is wrong from what appears on the Amazon site as of 6-14-2006. It's not even close. Second, there are no demos on this. Am I missing something?? I preordered this to get the demos and all we have are live recordings. The sound on this is awful, very similar to the Stooges live recordings. If your familar with those, you know what I mean. I would have given it one star, but it is still a interesting listen, as I love The New York Dolls. I'm shocked they would release this the way it sounds. It appears to be a attempt to make money without putting a dime in cleaning up the sound on this. The Vancouver show is the only decent recording on this release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whole lotta live, September 30, 2011
Orange Newt (Bandon, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Here to Eternity (Audio CD)
First, yeah, the "Editorial Review" description is just wrong -- there are no demos in this collection. As to "where are the demos?", the two-disc collection PRIVATE WORLD has 'em all. Whoever wrote the editorial review must have gotten the two releases confused.

These are all live recordings, bursting with energy, sometimes a bit rough as far as sound/recording quality.

The shows where these performances were recorded are:

Paris, November 1973 (3 tracks)
Detroit, December 1973 (13 tracks)
My Father's Place, Long Island, April 1974 (11 tracks, split between Discs 1 and 2)
Vancouver, 1974 (9 tracks)
Dallas, September 1974 (8 tracks, split between Discs 2 and 3)
New York, 1974 (12 tracks)
Sweden, 1984 -- Johnny Thunders solo tour with Sylvain Sylvain and Jerry Nolan (3 tracks)

This isn't a "complete live" compilation -- the Paris show, at least, is available in several versions with, I think, 11 tracks (although not "The Milk Man"), and there's probably yet more live stuff out there. But this is a lot of live Dolls, with a good amount of material that wasn't on their two studio albums.

Of course, there's some duplication between shows -- we get five versions of "Personality Crisis" and three each of several other songs. But part of the fun of live recordings, for me at least, is hearing how different a tune can sound on different nights.

There's lots of highlights -- "The Milk Man", "Hoochie Coochie Man", "It's Too Late", the Vancouver show has nice clear sound, and the New York 1975 show (tracks 5 thru 16 on Disc 3) has the least familiar material (to me anyway) and maybe gives you an idea what a third Dolls album might have sounded like if the original band had hung together long enough to record it.

FYI, here's the complete tracklist for Disc 1:

Detroit December 1973:
4. Intro/Personality Crisis
5. Bad Girl
6. Looking For A Kiss
7. Who Are The Mystery Girls?
8. Stranded In The Jungle

21. Personality Crisis
22. Bad Girl
23. Pills

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk rock roots, May 8, 2008
This review is from: From Here to Eternity: The Live Bootleg Box Set (Audio CD)
This is a good opportunity to check how raw was the punk rock in its beginning. Different from the 'punk' rock bands in these days, someone (whose isn't inserted in the punk rock scene) can think this a poor record, but, I assure, this must be listen to understand why this musical genre appeared. Thunders, Nolan and Kane were there! GG Allin lives!

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Old, Same Old, June 13, 2006
This review is from: From Here to Eternity (Audio CD)
Nice packaging and liner notes but this is mostly the same old stuff that has been floating around on boots or semi-legitimate releases for years.

Unfortunately there was no magic remastering applied so the crummy sounding stuff still sounds crummy.

One bright spot: I had never heard the Vancouver material before and it is pretty darn good, very listenable.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible quality, January 20, 2010
This review is from: From Here to Eternity (Audio CD)
This is not worth the money. The recording quality is worse than an audience B rating.
Oddly, I am discovering that Amazon only publishes my reviews with a positive rating, wonder why. Sales?
Let's see how this goes before I waste more of my time.

Rate and Discover Movies