5.0 out of 5 stars An open window into profound treasure of simple daily joys
Published on October 5, 2004 by Midwest Book Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I've ever read
I bought the book because about 2 years ago I began my own project in the Texas Hill Country. My husband and I own some land there, and we've been working on it and enjoying it tremendously.
Published on October 16, 2003 by Sylvie J. Shurgot

5.0 out of 5 stars An open window into profound treasure of simple daily joys, October 5, 2004
This review is from: From a Limestone Ledge: Some Essays and Other Ruminations about Country Life in Texas (Paperback)
Now in a new edition with a foreword by Bill Wittliff, From A Limestone Ledge: Some Essays And Other Ruminations About Country Life In Texas is a collection of the writings of Texas author and freelance writer John Graves. Enhanced for the reader with illustrations by Glenn Wolff, the subjects range from caring for animals such as cows, goats, bees, dogs, and chickens to growing grapes and making wine, smokeless tobacco ponderings, the day-to-day issues that face a countryman, and much more. From A Limestone Ledge reverberates with the wholehearted appreciation for Texas country life, and offers an open window into profound treasure of simple daily joys.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, May 29, 2004
Jeff (Fort Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From a Limestone Ledge (Paperback)
This book is one that finds its was to my night stand again and again. The humorus manner in which the essays are written make the most mundane things become interesting. The authors ability to poke fun at his own follies while coping with country life are half the fun of reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Graves, poet, storyteller, humorist, historian, April 1, 2011
I have all if John Graves books, and IMO, the Goodbye to a River is his best. However every book of his, deserves a read...in my case multiple reads purely for ENJOYMENT! I took to reading From a Limestone Ledge again, not sure how how many times I have read this volume...but it is a collection of 19 free standing chapters, or "shorts" if you will....about country life in Texas. Mr. Graves bought a "stock farm", or piece of land, in central Texas (Somerville county) sometime after his profits from the hit book Goodbye to a River. Evidently he pretty much built the house, barn, fences and other improvements on the land mostly by himself with some heavy lifting help from hired hands. In this volume he covers all sorts of country lore, country views, ...his humor is wonderful. Anyone who doesn't understand or is bored by this volume must not understand the country way of life. I do, and I LOVE this book. There is some wonderful humor, his story of the three goats put into a 55 gallon drum and the lid welded shut and then a week later the drum is opened...is a classic. His chapter on his dogs, Old Blue in particular, is great. (there is a separate short book by Graves on Old Blue and some other dogs)
Mr. Graves, is a talented scholar with the written word, the turn of a phrase...a Winston Churchill, a Thoreau. He is also a genuine hero of the Pacific war in World War II. I highly recomment this book, as well as any other book from the pen of John Graves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 20, 2014
This review is from: From a Limestone Ledge (Paperback)
quick shipper, item as advertised, Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I've ever read, October 16, 2003
Sylvie J. Shurgot "sshurgot" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From a Limestone Ledge (Paperback)
Mr. Graves' book must be the most boring piece of writing I have ever read, and I'm a serious reader. I don't usually write reviews, but this book was so bad I simply had to respond.
So don't bother reading the book; there's much better stuff out there. And please, do not form a negative opinion about the Texas Hill Country based on this book. The fact that the author has nothing interesting to say about it doesn't mean that there is nothing interesting to talk about. The area is beautiful, and there certainly is much more to it than what you'll find in Mr. Graves' ramblings.

Used & New from: $367.40