Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on November 5, 2011
I used to enjoy watching Richard Greene as Robin Hood when I was a boy. And, occasionally there was a strolling minstrel with a lute. I took to that music. It made sense. So, would you like the joy of playing in a Renaissance court? Buy this book. The first piece is very pretty and immediately gets you off to a happy start. You can play it within an hour.

I'm what I would call an intermediate player. I know my chords, folk and jazz, up and down the neck and most stretches come easily and I can do a bit of picking, but no claw hammer yet. I've been playing about four years. If you have the Hal Leonard wonderful ukulele fingerpicking book this will at first go seem easier but equally as beautiful. Buy the book just to listen to the recording. High g is essential for the right tone. It works with low g but doesn't have the Renaissance feel.
on November 27, 2011
This is a very nice collection of lute pieces mostly unfamiliar to those not versed in lute/Renaissance repertoire, transcribed for uke in re-entrant tuning.

The pieces work beautifully on the uke's four strings. You'd think they were written for uke to start with. Tony Mizen has a real knack for transcribing for the uke's limited range.

It's not a beginner book, but if you can read tab, the arrangements are not that hard and are a lot of fun to play.

The CD is something you can just listen to for pleasure, besides hearing the pieces in the book. Mizen is an excellent player.

If you play uke and are into classical, I highly recommend this book.
on March 4, 2012
The first piece in the book called "Bear Dance" is worth the price of the book alone. It's easy to play and is a catchy tune. All the pieces are played fingerstyle which means you pluck the strings instead of strumming. On the ukulele this sounds like a harp. The beginning of the book is easy to play and the tunes are easy to memorize. Everyone I've played pieces out of this book for has been impressed--and it's not my playing, I'm an advanced beginner, it's the pieces themselves. The second half of the book gets harder, so there are pieces for intermediate players and pieces for beginners to aspire to. The book comes with a CD which is very pleasant to listen to. If you've got a ukulele, you should get this book!
on July 19, 2012
Having played the ukulele for 12 months, I decided that I wanted to play more finger style and classical pieces. This book has a great selection - starting from straightforward and progressing to complex. They are all for a "high G " ukulele tuning and it comes with a CD that I consider invaluable. Combination of tabs and traditional staff allows you to get the timing just right.
The more complex pieces have advice on fingerng including what to Barr and which fingers of the fretting hand to use.
Some of the pieces are instantly recognisable and others I have never heard before, however they all seem achievable - eventually.
Highly recommended. Looking forward to a follow up book in the next 12 months.
on March 17, 2012
This outstanding collection of Renaissance pieces for lute are perfectly suited to the uke.
The collection is an absolute must for lovers of Renaissance music.
The pieces sound totally authentic on the uke and are totally delightful.
The CD of the music is one of my all time favorite recordings.
on July 15, 2012
Just received my copy & CD of "Lute to uke", WHAT a masterpiece!. The book is well done. The choice of Renaissance music: superb. The arrangements are as faithful to the original music as can be. The CD, well it's been playing all day at the office!! and I LOVE IT!. His playing, with a tiny bit of reverb sounds SO much like a 7-course Renaissance Lute. Simply amazing and SO professionally played. I love the way "he feels" his way through each pieces. He gives each pieces of music life and caracter of it's own, no robotic style without warmth. Love the ornamentations. He pauses at just the right places giving the music breathing space it needs at various intervals. In conclusion. Mr.Mizen is an excellent ukulele player who approaches Renaissance music the way it was intended to be played. Congratulations!

Mario
on April 25, 2012
A very different sound for the uke, and quite enjoyable. I agree with the other reviewer that the CD can be listened to for pleasure as well as to teach.

I started playing the ukulele about 6 weeks ago, and between this and a book about fingering styles, I feel like I have the next few months of learning cut out for me.
on February 7, 2012
This is an excellent book. It is exactly what and how I want to be playing uke.
Many of the pieces can be played with low G tuning since the melody rarely uses the reentrant.
on October 17, 2014
This is a pretty cool book. I have only "mastered" the first song however, but I think I will enjoy learning many more. I really like this Author Tony Mizen, he arranges the songs for Ukulele very well. I have ordered his other two books- Learn Finger Style Ukulele and the Baroque Ukulele. The Learn Finger Style Uke is also a pretty good book, it gets you into looking at pieces of music and actually seeing how they can be "converted" to finger style, which is something I have been wanting to learn. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to have finger style songs to play on the Uke. These songs are NOT top 40 hits by any means, they are old music in the renaissance era, but sound really cool on the uke! Almost mid-evil...... =)
on February 2, 2013
This will definitely challenge you, but in a very good way! It will make you slowly develop and improve your skills and make you think (if you are so inclined) as well. The enclosed CD is extremely pretty and will give you a new appreciation for what the ukulele can do and does do in a master's hands and it can help you fudge your way into sounding like a master player. Finally, this a great price in comparison to other places that this product is available. If you like your Uke then you deserve this book!