Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

I have had the pleasure of enjoying Southern comfort-food over the years, but never had the opportunity to collect unique recipes for my own kitchen. Bobby Deen, host of his own show, Not My Mama's Meals, delivers over one-hundred of his all-time favorite recipes. His top priority was to continue to cook the mouth-watering recipes he grew-up on, while replacing high-calorie items with lo-cal versions, then testing his results. In conclusion, the Southern flavors were locked in to perfection and never changed. He realized that he didn't have to sacrifice any of his favorites. However, each recipe is 350 calories, or less, which is a huge bonus. Bobby Deen offers recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinners. In addition, recipes are included for Soup, Salads, and much more. The tasty Appetizers such as Seafood Dip and Party Guacamole are sure to be a big hit, and luscious Desserts such as Raspberry Angel Pie, or Peach Cobbler makes your mouth water by just looking at the photos. "FROM MAMA'S TABLE TO MINE" also includes sandwiches, side-dishes, tips, and stunning photos of prepared-cooked recipes. I cannot wait to try the Mini Savannah Crab Cakes, and Not My Mama's Banana Pudding. The author includes a select group of foods that he works with in his diet such as Avocado, Blueberries, Sweet Potatoes, and more. Bobby Deen can honestly say; 'You can have your cake and eat it too!' Easy-to-read recipes, classic comfort-food, inspiring calorie charts per recipe, and colorful illustrations. An Update on New Recipes we made: FRENCH ONION SOUP, which we love, very tasty and will indeed make again. Also, we made JACK's CORN CHOWDER, delicious & filling. One of my favorites is REAL SOUTHERN CORN BREAD. This is the Best corn bread recipe I have found thus far and I've been searching for years. My daughter and I enjoy toasting the corn bread and adding butter. The taste is sensational. A fascinating cookbook for every kitchen, and a great gift idea for any chef. Highly recommended!
22 comments168 of 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2013
I have never cared for Paula Deens recipes. Not because they did not sound good, or were not like a lot of the food I grew up with, but because they were so unhealthy I would not even consider them. When I saw this book, I was mainly curious to see what he did. I think he succeeded in making very high fat/calorie dishes much healthier and the changes don't seem to have affected the taste. Its mostly substitutions and different cooking methods, which most of us know if we try for heathier food, but its convenient to have a lot of these tips and methods in one place. I like the layout and pictures throughout.
0Comment100 of 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2013
I purchased this book on the day it came out and so far I've made 6 of the recipes. Not only are they delicious but they're easy. My family loves them. I've already made out my meals for next week using the recipes in the book. I hope Bobby Dean comes out with another cookbook soon.
0Comment81 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I like how the cook book is put together, very easy to access recipes. Love the whole idea of southern comfort foods with less fat and calories. Great job Bobby!
0Comment33 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
After starting our new years resolution and trying to diet... this cook book helps make good but low calorie comfort food. and guests that come to the house love the food too... they don't realize its low calorie
on December 18, 2013
After glancing at this book's preview (printed format), I scouted out the book at a brick-and-mortar bookstore. A number of the recipes appealed to me, but I didn't want to bring yet another cookbook into the house to store.

So I decided to buy the Kindle version of the book. I have numerous iPads and Kindles, and electronic books are so very convenient.

I was disappointed in a major way when I opened the book and discovered:

1. The table of contents lists just the chapters; clicking a chapter title takes you to the first page of the chapter.
2. The first page of the chapters do not contain chapter tables of contents listing recipes and linking to them.
3. The lovely and complete index contained in the printed version is not even included in the Kindle version let-alone linked to content.

I haven't tried recipes yet, but the 2-star rating is my way of saying that I'm tired of the lazy publishers who see e-Readers and tablet computers as a marketplace to increase profits but don't bother to invest a bit of money to ensure that books are useable in that format.

Most of the time that I buy cookbooks and find these problems, I return them (yes, you CAN return Kindle books for refund). I'll keep this one because I want several recipes. But I really should return it to send the publisher and Amazon a stronger message.

I am also disappointed with Amazon because they apparently do nothing to use their clout to ensure that only the top-notch books converted to Kindle format are accepted for sale. Shame on Amazon!
on February 9, 2013
Bobby Deen has done a great job of converting traditional southern recipes so that they still taste delicious without extra calories and harmful fats. I just got my book this week and have already made the pimento cheese. I am sure I will use this book often! This is a great book!
on February 8, 2013
I HAVE ALL THE PAULA DEEN COOKBOOKS BUT THIS ONE BY BOBBY IS JUST GREAT. DELISOUS SOUTHERN COOKING WITHOUT ALL THE BUTTER. I MADE THE BANANNA PUDDING LAST NIGHT ANT IT WAS TO DIE FOR? A MUST HAVE COOKBOOK.
0Comment32 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I just picked this book up at the store last night. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. As a southerner, I grew up eating many of the dishes that Paula Deen is famous for. I've seen a few of Bobby's tv shows and have been impressed with the techniques he uses to lower the calories and fat. When you look at these recipes you will be hard pressed to find the changes he made to make it low-calorie/low-fat. He still uses lots cheese and milk, just low-fat versions. The ingredients are common ingredients that most of us keep in our homes. The instructions are clear and simple. There are pictures for most of the recipes but not all.

The only thing I wished he would have included was serving size. It's something that few cookbooks include but it helps me in choosing a recipe if I know the size of the serving.

UPDATE 2/10/2013
Made the Pimento Cheese and the Corn Casserole today. Both are great! The book says the corn casserole makes 6 to 8 servings. I got 9 generous servings from the recipe. It is made in a 9 inch square pan so it is easier to cut into 9 servings than to try to figure out 8 servings.
22 comments39 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
The book has 120 delicious mouth watering southern recipes , which means there is something for everybody inside this book. I'm glad he kept his mama same recipes and find a way to tweak them into low calories dishes without losing the flavor. All the food ingredients you need to buy to make these recipes aren't hard to find in your local grocery store, which is a huge plus in my book. SO the first thing I made was the "yes You Can" mac and cheese and it did not disappoint at all, it was very flavorful leaving me satisfy. I have also tried two other dishes which were Easy Ginger Glaze Spare Ribs, and Crispy Oven Fried Chicken. The two dishes came out great, were very flavorful and the directions were easy to follow. The book has some nice pictures of Bobby which adds a nice touch. Overall it's a nice book with alot of delicious recipes which I can't wait to share with my family and friends. I love to cook, so I can't wait to make a bunch of these dishes and invite my friends and family over to sample them. The best thing about this book is that you enjoy the foods you love with out compromising on flavor and still keep your waist line in shape. I recommend this book for any more who loves to cook great food.