Published on December 6, 2009 by Holly Holly

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on July 2, 2010 by Mel W

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cookbook that gives my Indian husband a true taste of home!, December 6, 2009
This review is from: From Mom with love: Complete Guide to Indian Cooking and Entertaining (Hardcover)
I purchased this cookbook about 8 months ago. I wanted to really give it a workout before writing a review. I'm a born and raised American who married a born and raised East Indian. My husband is a doll, but having been one of the fortunate few to have grown up in a wealthy Indian home, he was provided only the best meals and is extremely picky with food. So much so that his mother even warned me about it.

I have quite a few Indian cookbooks, my favorites being this one, "Quick and Easy Indian Cooking" by Mahur Jaffrey and "5 Spices, 50 Dishes" by Ruhta Kahate. Madhur Jaffrey and Rutha Kahate are both fabulous cooks and have some great recipes, but my husbands biggest complaints about both of their cookbooks is that many of the recipes are too mild or are "Americanized" Indian dishes. (The spice issue is easy to work with, I just double the chili powder or add additional green chilies.) So while the meals in both of those cookbooks are really great tasting food, my Gujarati husband was looking for the EXACT SAME taste he would get at home in every recipe of the book. (EEEK!)

I read the great reviews on this book and decided to purchase it even though it didn't have anything about "simple" or "easy" in the title. I really think Mahur Jaffrey and Rutha Kahate both introduced me to Indian style cooking and helped me get past that initial fear of all the spices, taking me from beginner to intermediate. Both are really great books and I highly recommend them for beginners.

Well, this is THE BOOK!! From meal one, this cookbook was a huge hit with my husband! I don't consider myself a naturally good cook, but this book is absolutely fabulous at guiding you every step of the way. Each recipe has a full color photo and they are non-intimidating. Most meals take under an hour and some are 30 minutes or so, including cooking time. Even the more complicated looking dishes aren't that bad. I did as suggested and pre-cooked and froze masala for use in later recipes and it's worked out great. My husband's favorite is the Tandoori chicken, which looks scary, but it's really not! Once you have all of the spices required it's a little time consuming but a snap.

The taste of the food is not really going to be much like you'd find in Indian Restaurants here in the US, it's actually better, more flavorful. Much more of a home cooked Indian meal you can only find either at the home of an NRI or in India itself. I have been fortunate enough to go to India and these meals are exactly like what I was served at the gracious homes of my husband's friends and family.

My husband often tells me the meals I make from this book are sometimes even better than what he eats at home. He credits this to the fact that (he thinks) I follow every single step to the letter, while his mother sometimes skips spices. (Critical, critical! She's a fabulous cook!!) But either way it is possible to (shhhh!) take a few shortcuts with this book. I don't always grind my coriander fresh (something I learned from Madhur Jaffrey) and will use coriander powder instead. I also get lazy and use garlic or ginger paste instead of messing with the real thing. The taste is still fabulous, and several of the recipes call for garlic or ginger paste anyway.

In order to cook most of the great Indian meals from this book, you really only need a few essential tools, some of which you probably already have. A food processor, a blender and a spice grinder. A pressure cooker helps but I don't remember if any of these recipes require one. There are usually alternate directions if you don't have one anyway.

If you are new to the idea of Indian cooking but really want to produce that authentic, home cooked Indian taste, GET THIS BOOK! It's NOT scary. Trust me, I'm not a natural in the kitchen. I'm easily intimidated and was delighted to find I could cook any recipe in this book to perfection. If you're absolutely new at this, just be prepared to blow at least $30.00 on some base spices right off the bat and be SURE to get a spice grinder.

The Indian ingredients I always keep in stock in my kitchen are as follows:

Amchur (Mango) Powder
Garam Masala
Garlic Paste
Ginger Paste
Green Cardamon Pods
Green Chili's (Serrano Peppers)
Lemon Juice
Mustard Oil
Onions
Saffron
Tumeric
Urad Dahl
Vegetable Oil

I realize that is an extensive list and no one should just go out and buy all of those spices without several recipes to use them in. Also, keep in mind it was built up over time and I also cook Indian food at least 5 times a week. If I had to pick the five spices I use the most, it would be Coriander Powder, Tumeric, Chili Powder, Cumin and Garam Masala. These are very basic for most Indian dishes. I'd say the best way to do it is build as you go. Pick 4 or 5 recipes you'd like to cook, make a list and go from there. Your spice cabinet will build up over time.

Anyway, this is a fabulous cookbook for non-intimidating and fairly easy to prepare authentic Indian dishes. Don't let the spices scare you, it's not bad at all! Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not daunting and easy to follow recipes, May 29, 2008
I have over 10 cookbooks in my pantry that claim to be the 'best' Indian cookbooks around. So, skeptical of adding yet another book to an already overcrowded shelf of unused cookbooks, I made the purchase...mainly becuase the pictures and recipes just looked so delicious...and my strong desire to have good home-made Indian food. When I tried out a recipe...I noticed that the directions were easy to follow and were accurate (in my experience, Indian cookbooks are not accurate about all the ingredients necessary or the amounts or even the preparation times)! To my surprise, my dishes turned out just as the book described (unlike the results I got from some of those other cookbooks in my pantry). This book has given me confidence that I can actually cook Indian food...successfully. I especially like the recommendation at the beginning of the book that tells you the essential spices to have in your pantry. I hope Pushpa Bhargava will consider writing a Vol. 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook for learning and advanced cooks, March 4, 2009
Delores "Colorado" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this cookbook as a present for my husband who loves Indian food but never learned to cook it. We've now made several recipes (mostly our favorites from Indian restaurants, but also some we were unfamiliar with) and all of them have been delicious. Some recipes are complicated, others less so, but nothing has been beyond our skill.

Standout aspects of this excellent book:
- glossary explaining ingredients
- list of ingredients to have on hand
- list of special equipment needed
- menu suggestions for entertainment
- lassi and homemade paneer recipes
- suggestions for meals that freeze or keep well
- suggestions for recipes

Problem and suggestions:
- The list of ingredients preceding a recipe is not organized in the order of use. She might tell you to heat oil in a pan and then add two or three spices, but those spices will not be the first items on the ingredients list, they might be the 3rd, 4th, and 10th items in the list. To overcome this confusion we've developed two techniques:
1) Read the recipe thoroughly at least twice before starting to cook. If you are accustomed to scanning a recipe and then diving in, don't be tempted to do that with this cookbook.
2) Measure out all the spices ahead of time. We use small dishes and organize the spices as they are used in the recipe. If 3 bay leaves, a stick of cinnamon and a tablespoon of turmeric all go into the pan together, we put those three spices into one bowl and set it aside, and so on for all the spices in the recipe. That way as you are cooking you can grab one bowl that contains all the relevant spices for that area of the recipe. This means you spend less time being confused by the disorganized list of ingredients. (And you can feel like the host of your own Indian cooking show)

I highly recommend this book especially if you have never cooked Indian food before. Don't be intimidated by the long lists of ingredients for each recipe!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, with a few technical improvements would be even better, November 5, 2009
I've really enjoyed this cookbook and have made several items from it. What I've cooked has been quite nice tasting. The basic masala (which is used in some other recipes) is delicious and its use is clever and time saving. The butternut squash dish is one of the most fantastic tasting squash recipes I've ever eaten. Her directions for bread-making are clear. Also the reader can take advantage of the author's website to view cooking demonstrations online.

The book has a nice sturdy cover and is easy to use and read in the kitchen.

I do have some suggestions for improvement for the next edition:
* please put the ingredients in order of their use in the recipe. It is really confusing, for example in one lentil recipe, to have the ingredients all jumbled together and then be told at the end "add remaining ingredients," so that one must look through the list and recall which were already put in.
* provide English translations for the dishes in the table of contents to broaden the appeal to those who don't know their Hindi names.
* include an index so that one can locate a particular recipe in the text.
* provide the yields of the recipes. For example, there is a big batch of a basic masala used throughout the book, but the yield is not stated. When I made it, the yield seemed to be approximately 2-1/4 cups.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 2, 2010
Mel W (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought this cookbook after seeing all the rave reviews here. I wanted another Indian cookbook to complement the one I have owned and loved for years (Curried Favors: Family Recipes from South India, by Maya Kaimal Macmillan). I have to say, I have been disappointed by every recipe I have made in this book so far. The recipes are far more complicated than the ones in Curried Favors and require hard-to-find ingredients; the instructions are vague; and the finished products are not nearly as delicious.

Here's an example: last night I made the Chicken Biryani, and two of the listed ingredients (red chili powder and salt) are never mentioned in the recipe itself, so you have no idea when to add them in. In addition, there is a step in which you are told to sauté the chicken "until it is soft" before baking it for 30 minutes. What does that even mean? Chicken becomes less soft as you cook it, not more so. I took a wild guess and sautéed it for 10 minutes, which clearly wasn't what I was supposed to do, because I had to bake it for a full hour before it was cooked through. And then it was just OK; my husband and I found it a little bland. The other recipes I have made have also been a disappointment. The chicken curry, for one, is incredibly watery -- the sauce was the consistency of chicken broth. Yuck.

I'm going to stick with Curried Favors, and recommend that others do the same. It's an amazing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Somebody doesn't know how to write recipes, April 21, 2010
So far I've made about four recipes from this book. They've been pretty good. I'm giving the food 4 stars as I don't have a lot of experience with Indian food. It may be a generous rating.

I just spent about 20 minutes scaling the recipe for Tahari on P. 114. As somebody noted before, The ingredients are not written in the order that one uses them in this book. I don't know if this is cultural or the author was never taught how to write a recipe. When I see this type of formatting issue with an internet recipe, I immediately dismiss the recipe and move on to another source. I figure, If they don't know how to format a basic recipe, how good can the food be? And what other careless mistakes did they make? In this same recipe that I had to re-read about 50 times (ok that's an exaggeration, maybe 10 times), The black cardamom was left out of the description as to where it should be used. Given the large quantity of spices and ingredients in many of the recipes, this is not a small issue. I'm thinking I should have given it a 3 come to think of it.

Not looking forward to spending an extra 10 minutes re-reading every recipe several times and I don't have time right now to edit the order of the ingredients on every page. Finished venting. I think I've been fair though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be more aptly titled..., June 17, 2009
jim_nc "jim_nc" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
As a vegetarian and a longtime Indian food enthusiast, I bought "From Mom with love..." last year, and it has since become one of our most dependable and beloved cookbooks.

The book seems to fill a particular void in the market: An Indian home cookbook that is very accessible, personal, fairly thorough, with great recipes, and loaded with the practical tips and bits of helpful information that one tends to wish for in a cookbook but seldom finds. It's like having an experienced guide there with you as you plan and cook. Ms. Bhargava additionally goes the extra distance of maintaining a website with videos of cooking techniques to supplement the content in the book.

Even if you like to experiment as you cook, I've found that this collection serves as a great reference guide of sold, trustworthy standards to work from.

I have a particular pet peeve that many cookbook authors overreach to try to bulk up large volumes (or multiple volumes) with recipes that are rough and unperfected, and that don't flow from the author's heart and benefit from their long-experience in working with them over time. Clearly this was not at all the case with "From Mom with love..." These home-style recipes bear a much-appreciated personal touch. It's been a delightful experience for us working our way through this aptly titled labor of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes. Most Fabulous Indian Recipes Book, May 26, 2011
My daughter Swati Sharma recently wrote a review for this book. Now let me tell you the perspective of a first generation parent of US born grown professionals.

I recently visited Swati in her new home. I was completely blown away by the assortment of AUTHENTIC Indian dishes she had made for my husband and me - even down to homemade Garam Masala that even I had never made in my entire life - thanks to From Mom with Love - a book she had been bragging about for weeks!

Now I have also started using this book for dishes that I have not made in a while and need a "refresher" - always with very predictable results. I also like the short cuts like the precooked masala.

Mrs. Bhargava deserves a big thank you from all of the first generation Indians like me who felt more than a little concerned about the quality of food their children were making/eating in their own homes with their busy lifestyles and helplessness in not being able to do much for them.

I highly recommend this book to seasoned as well as new cooks and also non-Indians who want to take a short cut to get from novices to "expert" cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Indian Cookbook on the Market...BY FAR, September 30, 2009
I have been cooking vegetarian food from all over the world for many years. I have many Indian cookbooks including those by Sahni and Jaffrey and this book is by far the best.

I like that it has one recipe per page, with large pictures and nice size print. The recipes have been very easy to follow and because it is hard cover, the book stays open when being used.

It has been very easy to try new dishes, which is the fun of cooking. So go ahead and try this book. You won't be disappointed.

There is only one negative review here and seems to be written by someone who it appears has never bought the book in the first place!! So dont pay any attention to it. It is not magazine thin and the glossary is very helpful for shopping in Indan stores. She says she cant return the book because she 'lost the slip'. When was that a problem with online Amazon?

So enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE foundation book for Indian cooking. A highlight in our library., September 19, 2009
Christopher D. Petrauskas (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
My wife and I are both big fans of Indian food both from restaurants and trying to bring it more into our regular cooking routines. While we've found many entertaining books with strong recipes we never really found a book that helps us get properly oriented to internalize the habits and working methods of the Indian home cook, 'From Mom With Love...' does just exactly that.

As I bit of background, I have to say that overall I find the glut of cookbooks hitting the shelves these days rather disappointing in quality. Sure the pictures are large and the typesetting impressive but I find that the content trends towards the lackluster. I'm happy to report that 'From Mom With Love...' is a complete antidote to that feeling. What Pushpa Bhargava has done here is nothing less than invite you into the routines and organizational practices that are a practical part of the day to day life of the Indian home cook.

The book's organization is some of the best I have ever seen to the point that I would say it is unique. Bhargava has even gone so far as to have a single but critical introductory page of the book tabbed so that you are sure to read it and find success. Adding a tab is no trivial expense in publishing and I find its inclusion a clear indicator of how committed to her reader's culinary success the author is.

Everything about this book is geared towards being used and not just languishing prettily on the shelves or imposingly on the coffee table. The format is compact and the end boards are covered with a slick semi-gloss paper that wipes off easily. No dust jacket to be an irritating crumb catcher doomed to rips and smears.

The book does have high quality photography and layout but it's all in the service of getting the recipes and techniques across. There are no gratuitous multi-page food porn centerfolds that just waste pages.

So, I like the physical object and the editorial style, but what about the food? No worries there. The recipes are delicious and quite obviously well tested as they work perfectly 'off the rack'. The most important thing to me about this book though is not the recipes per se but the fact that Bhargava's teaching style has left me with the pantry and beginning instincts to start to feel that I'm 'getting' Indian cuisine as a cook in a way that no other book (in any cuisine for that matter) ever has. I can unequivocally say that this should be the foundation book in the kitchen of anyone that wants to begin to really understand the amazing foods of India.

From Mom with love: Complete Guide to Indian Cooking and Entertaining
From Mom with love: Complete Guide to Indian Cooking and Entertaining by Pushpa Bhargava (Hardcover - January 1, 2010)
$27.95 $20.91