5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
Published on June 19, 2011 by Susan M. Craun

3.0 out of 5 stars A good survey of the major ways that poverty has been ...
A good survey of the major ways that poverty has been addressed in America. Trattner attempts to address both sides of the issue but he inserts significant bias towards the left on most of the issues. I would supplement any of your research from this book with other sources that are not so overtly welfare-state driven.
Published 27 days ago by Conrad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 19, 2011
I am doing research on our local poor farm and this has given me more information than I have ever imagined. It definitely starts at the beginning of care for and of the poor and follows through to the end. Trattner has done an excellent job covering the poor laws to modern day social welfare in a comprehensive and straight-forward manner. I have found the book intriguing and thought provoking. Well written to the point that researcher and layman alike can read this book and find it to be a valuable resource.

Professors would be well advised to include this in their classroom. Definitely a book to keep on my shelf for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A broad, sweeping history of America and Charity, June 9, 2000
Trattner takes the reader back in time to define how modern American has developed its current welfare state. Certainly this is a task that cannot be fully done in only 400 pages. The only weakness in this book is that it is too brief. It does not go into enough detail, but it is comprehensive enough to give a solid introduction to the modern American welfare state and the issues that face America's poor. This is a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Short. Cheap. Great., October 4, 2013
This review is from: From Poor Law to Welfare State, 6th Edition: A History of Social Welfare in America (Kindle Edition)
Chapters short. Check. Easy to understand with no stuffy language. Check. Kindle price:$11. Check. What more could you want in a comprehensive history book?

4.0 out of 5 stars but a good historical overview of social welfare in the United States, July 1, 2014
Published in 1999 and somewhat dated, but a good historical overview of social welfare in the United States, particulary in the early portion of the nation's history. A good beginner guide to the subject matter--not recommended for those who are already subject matter experts in the area.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and written as a story, April 16, 2014
This is really interesting and actually reads as a story - the story of welfare/caring for others in America. It's actually fascinating how it impacts us TODAY and policy and health care and non-profits. Definitely read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great text for social work history, August 19, 2014
This text was very informative and helped me gain a better understanding of the history of social work in America. I now understand why we are at the point we are in the field, and where we came from to get here.

5.0 out of 5 stars purchased for school, January 13, 2014
Bea "B" (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I am a Master of Social Work student and purchased this for a Policy class. It was a good read and I found the material engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., October 25, 2013
Read it as required reading for an msw class. Really interesting and enjoyable read for something I had to read for school.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was a Class requirement! For graduate school, February 14, 2014
Very detailed! Plus I needed it for class! And it was inexpensive! It is easy to read and follow! Thx

5.0 out of 5 stars almost brand new, October 2, 2013
This book is almost a brand new one! This is beyond my expectation. I have not read it yet, but it's a required book...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›