Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 20, 2006
about high school peer pressure.

I avoided this album for a long time. "Sugar We're Going Down" got a lot of airplay, but while I thought the song was catchy, I assumed it was just another crappy emo band. However, after "Dance Dance" and "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me", I decided to get the album.

I am only a few months older than Pete, and a bit older than the other members, so I definately am well above the median age of FOB fans, but... their music is brilliant fun. Their music is not going to change the world, but who cares? I am not a fan of most of the "rock" that MTV plays these days, which is a reason I think that a lot of the alternative bands from the 90's who are still around have benefitted so well, but these guys are an exception.

For the younger fans. I am sure that "cool elitist" kids at your school make fun of you for liking this band, but look at it this way. When I was your age, I took crap all the time for listening to Weezer and Green Day by exactly the same type of kids who are picking apart FOB now... yet over a decade later, look who is still around? So just smile and nod and don't care about they say because everyone should be free to like what they want to like.
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2006
Fall Out Boy are masters at perfecting the art of pop-punk. The songs have good hooks, catchy melodies, smart lyrics(not necessarily thought-provoking or deep, but they've got some pretty good one-liners), and you can't deny the fact that the singer, Patrick Stump, has a great range. The Remix of Sugar We're Goin' Down is a little quieter, with a louder bass, and the Dance Dance remix has more of an electronic vibe.

Sure, pop-punk may just be a trend, but why not enjoy it while it lasts?

P.S. To the person who is bitching about what "punk rock" is - shut up. First of all, you obviously haven't heard anything from Fall Out Boy other than their singles, so you have no place to write a review on their albums. Second of all, Fall Out Boy have never called themselves punk, and they are not "posing" as a punk band. They are pop-punk and they know it. Name-dropping the Sex Pistols doesn't make you look any cooler, it just makes you look like a retarded, closed-minded elitist. And please, use punctuation. Your use of run-on sentences further proves yourself as a moron.
on July 28, 2005
FOB outdid themselves with this one. I enjoyed Take This to Your Grave, but the songs on this album are much more catchy and enjoyable. I wasnt even a huge fan of their first album, but this one made me a hardcore FOB fan. First of all, I'd like to say that their use of lyrics are amazing. My favorites: "I keep my jealousy close cause its all mine, and if you say that makes you happy than I'm not the only one lying." Also, the infamous "Am I more than you bargained for yet?" Its so easy for so many people to relate to their songs. Many of their songs are about them being bitter at exes, although the style of music isnt exactly depressing either. I also love how every song is catchy. My favorite song on the album is "Dance, Dance," because it has amazing lyrics, and great drums and bass. Another favorite is "Nobody Puts Baby In the Corner," which I love way better than the acoustic version. Other favorites are "Champagne for my Real Friends..." and "XO." I LOVE pretty much every song on the album, and that rarely happens for me.
on May 7, 2005
Second albums aren't always as good as first albums. You have you entire life to make the first one but only a year or so to make the second one. But this band has not let us down with From Under The Cork Tree.

Like TTTYG, there are no fillers on this CD. Any one of the 13 tracks could easily be a single or video.

Not only has Fall Out Boy earned their signing to a major label, they have proven that they will not compromise their artistic integrity (i.e. "sell out"). The sound of the second CD may be a little more polished and produced, but it is unmistakably Fall Out Boy. This is not a Simple Plan or Dashboard Confessional CD by any means.

Song-by-Song reviews:

1) Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued - Great song to open the album with. The beginning sound effects (the camera clicking) sort of echos "Tell That Mick..." from TTTYG, but this is an entirely different (and much less angry) opening act. 9/10

2) Of All The Gin Joints In All The World - Not a filler by any means, but not my favorite on the album. 7/10

3) Dance Dance - Catchy and yes, danceable. 8/10

4) Sugar We're Going Down - One of my four favorites on the album. It's the obvious first single and hopefully the song that will break the band. 10/10

5) Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner - Excellent song. The full-band version rocks, but I do prefer the acoustic version. I think a better choice to be remade would have been "It's Not A Side Effect of Cocaine. I'm Thinking It Must Be Love." 9/10

6) I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth - This is a big sudden left-turn for the band. It almost has a retro 80s Smiths/Morrissey sound. Very refreshing, very different. 10/10

7) 7 Minutes In Heaven - Good song, but like "Gin Joints" doesn't stand out quite as high as the rest. 8/10

8) Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year - Another good one. Great chorus, good hook. I think this one will definitely be a single. 9/10

9) Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends - Good song, but unfortunately the title is better. This one is not a stand-out either. 7/10

10) I Slept With Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me - I like this one. 8/10

11) A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me' - Another one of my favorites. I think this one is the "Grand Theft Autumn" of the album. It stays in your head hours after listening to it. 10/10

12) Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows) - I'm noticing alot of reviews mentioning this song as one of the weaker ones, but I absolutely love it. Pete sings a bit in this one and the poem read at the end is chilling. 10/10

13) XO - I'm wondering if this one is a sequel to "Tell That Mick...". The lyrics reference "I hoped you choked and crashed your car". It's a dark stalker anthem and very creepy. A perfect song to end the album with. 10/10
on June 12, 2005
I bought From Under the Cork Tree a week after it came out, not thinking it would be that great. It is the best cd I've heard all year and equally as great as Take This To Your Grave, and in some ways better.

1. Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued : 8/10. Good song. No where near as good as Tell That Mick...(which happens to be my fave track on TTTYG). But it's definitely got a catchy chorus and some nice guitar.

2. Of All The Gin Joints In All The World...:10/10. Hands down the best song on the CD. It's got everything you'd expect from Fall Out Boy. It has a catchy chorus, captivating guitar, and is overall just a great piece of music.

3. Dance Dance: 9/10. Definitely a good one. The guitar I love. At first listen, the way the first verse is sung bugged me, but the more I listen the more I love.

4. Sugar We're Goin Down: 10/10: Excellent choice for a first single. The guitar and bass are a little louder on this one, and it works well. I absolutely love the 2nd verse with the piano in it and the drums at the very start.

5. Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner: 9/10 I have to say I do like the acoustic version better, but that's not to say this one isn't good as well. It does the original one justice.

6. I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song): 7/10. Good gosh. On my first few listens of this song I could not stand this song. I used to hate the way Patrick's voice sounded. I'm still not totally over it, but I like the way the lyrics are on this one and it's actually a pretty good song.

7. 7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen): 10/10. Very very good song. The guitar solo is probably the most unique I've ever heard from Fall Out Boy and from start to finish it's a song that keeps your ears tuned in.

8. Sophmore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year: 9/10 The intro is a bit boring, but the lyrics make up for it. "The best part of believe is the lie" is the coolest lyric in it for sure. Steady chorus and a good beat.

9. Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends

6/10. For me, this is definitely the lowest point in the album. One of the few songs I don't like too much. Nothing too particularly exciting about this one. I love the title, just wish the song was the same for me.

10. I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me: 8/10 This one has some deep lyrics and overall I enjoy it much. The fact that Chad Gilbert from New Found Glory does some backing vocals for it only helps it be better.

11. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me": 10/10 This one is for sure the most poppy and catchy song on the album. I agree with some that say it sounds quite a bit like Grand Theft Autumn. In any case, it's a fast, fun song from start to finish and the lyrics are fantastic.

12. Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows): 8/10 Probably the most dark and melancholy song I've heard from Fall Out Boy. When I first heard it, it weirded me out, especially the poem/talking at the end. But like a couple other songs on this CD, the more I heard it the more I liked the direction they went with this song.

13. XO: 10/10 I never really listened to this one at first, mostly becuase it was at the end of the record. But now it reminds me a lot of a My Chemical Romance song, which I like about this one. The lyrics are good at catching your attention ,and the "loose lips sink ships" part is absolutely incredible.

What else can I say? From Under the Cork Tree is a landmark record for Fall Out Boy. A lot of people talk about a sophomore CD being the toughest and sometimes worst effort from a band. And it really is tuff. Fall Out Boy picked an incredible way to get themselves in the steroes and heads of people all across the country. I get sick of people that expect a follow up CD to sound exactly the same as the one before it.(i.e. Take This To Your Grave and From Under the Cork Tree) That's the beauty of music from good bands: it's always changing and improving. This CD is a breakthrough and overall success. Once you start listening to it, you'll never stop.
on February 19, 2006
Okay, I just have to say this:

I've read a lot of the reviews on this CD, and I just have a lot to say about them. But before you insult me, saying that I don't know anything about anything, here it is:

For those of you who are saying that people should listen to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and the whole nine yards instead of Fall Out Boy... I don't get you. What do Fall Out Boy have to do with any of those bands? I mean, I am definately not saying that Metallica, Maiden and all the rest suck, but people buy the Fall Out Boy CD because they like that kind of music. Some people like it when you can't understand the lyrics properly. But you can't go around comparing Fall Out Boy to Metallica or whatever. Some people like music from the 80's, some people like new music. I agree completely that Fall Out Boy are not punk in any way, seeing as it's completely dead, never to be ressurected, and that real punk is Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Black Flag, The Clash and all of them, but it doesn't make sense to tell someone "Listen to Metallica, not Fall Out Boy". Now I know that this is a review, and that you're supposed to write how you feel about the album, but by saying "This sucks, go listen to Maiden right NOW" you can't be serious. I'm sorry, I just don't get how you can compare the two.

Now I know this is meant to be a review of From Under The Cork Tree, and people will rate this low as hell, but it doesn't matter to me whether you rate it high or low, as long as you get what I'm saying.

P.S. The dude may have a hard to understand voice, but you have to admit, his sideburns rock.
on March 9, 2006
I bought this CD shortly after it came out. I am very impressed with Fall Out Boy. I have become a big fan after hearing From Under The Cork Tree and then Take This To Your Grave. I think all of the members are very talented in thier own ways. Patrick Stump has such a unique voice. Although you often have to listen to FOB's songs a few times to pick up on the lyrics, I still love almost everything I hear by them. FOB's lyrics are what catches my attention the most. I don't get how people could say this music is for 13 year old girls because most of the lyrics are way too in depth for anyone of that age to even start to comprehend.

To the people who are giving this album 1 stars:

If you haven't listened to this CD, don't rate it. Don't try to compare this band with Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, or for any other bands for that matter. I believe the button says "Rate this CD," not "Compare this band with your favorite bands." If you don't like this type of music, who cares? I don't particularly like Led Zepplin, but you don't see me posting hateful bashfests on their CD ratings. I think most bands out there are very talented, but that doesn't mean that I like the bands. Just because I don't like a band, doesn't mean I have to bash them either. Just stick to the music you like and don't worry about the music you don't.
No one can deny the popularity of punk or emo music. It is a ubiquitous genre and has been for sometime. Being so ubiquitous, it is difficult to make the style different and unique. Fall Out Boy take the angst and the overall feel of punk/emo to the next level. Their first succesful move is to make their song titles very unique. You just don't see song titles with ten or more words today (unless you are alternative artists such as SUFJAN STEVENS, etc...). That already seperates Fall Out Boy from rival artists such as Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, etc.

Furthermore, Fall Out Boy experiments with different driving guitar riffs and rhythm. Their overall use of rhythm gives them as a band a very unique sound. "Sugar We're Going Down" is different from every other single today. It uses the typical emo/punk qualities, yet it is so non-mainstream compared to say Simple Plan's "SHUT UP" or Good Charlotte's "I Just Wanna Live". Also, Fall Out Boy's remainder of songs are all different and unique from the previous song, making the very short, but tight album work very efficiently.

My favorite tracks include "Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued", "Of All The Gin Joints In All The World", "Dance, Dance", "Sugar We're Going Down" (my personal favorite), "Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year", and "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me". A well put together album with great production and a major amount of creativity. 4 stars easily, and more importantly, hopefully a Grammy nomination.
11 comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2005
I've have pretty much every emo/punk/screamo band's album. And I'm not being sarcastic, about 10 gigs of my 25 gigabytes of music is emo/screamo/punk. I've listened to at least 3 songs of every band, and I pass up all the bad ones, and listen to the ones worth listening to. When I got my first Fall Out Boy album (TTTYG), I listened to it like any other album, and... wow. I don't know what it was, but I was in shock at how good it was.

I'm a fan of emo/screamo, punk (the real stuff - Sex Pistols, NOFX etc), and metal. Fall Out Boy is pop-punk, with metal influences. The lyrics can be dark, while the melody is fast-paced and energetic (but possilbly in minor). Drums are heavier than normal emo, the screaming really isn't emo-style, it's not as high-pitched, the guitars and music parts are metal-sounding, bass parts can be pounding, and there's a very very cool but subtle death metal solo in the background in I Slept With Someone.

Patrick is an amazing vocalist as well, with amazing range and a flexible voice. I've heard that they are also an excellent live band, but I was on vacation in China when they went to Pittsburgh with Warped Tour, so unfortunately, I am unable to witness them live.

Highlights in this album include I Slept With Someone In FOB, Dance, Dance, and XO, but all the songs on this album are excellent.

Fall Out Boy also has a very enthusiastic fan base, and I'm proud to say that 1) I'm in it, and 2) they deserve it.
on May 4, 2005
coming from a fan of mainly indie/indie-rock music, i think this is probably the best thing that could have ever happened to what's left of the "punk" scene. i've been a fan of fall out boy (not to be confused with fallout boy and/or the fall out boys for those of you scene kids who like them because your best friend butchered the lyrics to get out her angst for her ex-boyfriend) since soon after the release of "take this to your grave", which i still reguard as the one of the very few solid power-chord records. i've been to a couple of their shows and the crowd gets younger and more ignorant every time.

as the scenesters murder what "scene" they have left, patrick, pete, andy and joe have produced a record with a sound that's more than capable of knocking you flat on your ass. from the first chords of "our lawyer made us change the name of this song so we wouldn't get sued" to the more emotional ending of "xo", the chicago quartet does not disappoint. with more dance-style tracks ("our lawyer..." and "dance dance") and more attitude than "take this to your grave", the guys have brought a level of maturity and attitude to the decaying industry that so many bands blatantly lack nowadays. i had the chance to talk to pete after their set at one of their shows and he's probably the most decent people, let alone musicians, that i've ever met. the guys are back and aren't afraid to tell you they hate you.

as they say, do your part to save the scene and stop going to shows. take your my chemical romance and hawthorne heights cds and go skateboarding.

standout tracks: "our lawyer made us change the name of this song so we wouldn't get sued", "dance dance", "i slept with someone in fall out boy and all i got was this stupid song written about me"