Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: MP3 MusicChange

on January 21, 2014
Nine Lashes debut album did little to rise above the recent wave of modern rock. Fortunately, "From Water to War" takes the strengths of their debut and improves upon them.

This album is full of monster guitar riffs, dynamic drums, gritty baselines, heavy electronic effects, and thought provoking lyrics. Jeremy Dunn, the lead singer, sounds more comfortable than their debut, singing more dynamically on the softer songs and more aggressively on the heavier songs. His voice complements the tone of the energized, emotional music. The lyrics of the album are a highlight as Dunn sings with relevance and boldness, especially about his Christian faith.

This album takes a more artistic approach than their debut album, and that is undoubtedly because producer Aaron Sprinkle got his hands on this project. This is very evident when you start hearing strong pop influences ("Surrender", "Love Me Now") scattered throughout the album. These changes to their style make the album pretty dynamic and proves to be an enjoyable listen.

There are strong influences from other modern rock bands like Linkin Park and Red, but Nine Lashes does a great job owning their sound. 4/5 stars.

Update: After five months, I still find myself craving to listen to this album, particularly the more aggressive songs like "Never Back Down", "Break The World", "Lights We Burn", etc. I've changed my 3.5 star rating to a 4.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
Contrary to all the mixed or negative reviews I have read I think Nine Lashes has improved their sound by expanding the electronic element. They have added a new dimension to their hard rock sound, not detracted from it. All the songs are great. The ones that really stand out to me are,"Break The World","Surrender","Love Me Now", "Cover Your Own" &"Light It Up". I defintely recommend buying this album & their previous album,"World We View."
on July 31, 2014
I was really pumped to see how this album would turn out, because I was big fans of their first two albums. So I pre-ordered it, received it, and proceeded to blast it. Unfortunately, it was a bit underwhelming for me. Most of the songs had a cliche sound to them, with a few sounding similar to a mix between Linkin Park and Skillet. Weird, I know.

It was a good attempt to sound different and break out of their shell, but I thought World We View was going in a more positive direction. I am a fan of bands like blessthefall and Underoath, so I may be a little biased, but From Water to War just seemed too overproduced for me. I would not object to them experimenting more with synth and techno sounds, but at the moment, it comes across as a bit weak. Despite this, I would recommend that you give it a listen and see what you think, because I really like the members of this band. They are really great people and deserve a bigger fan base.
on April 30, 2014
I liked this album. I don't have anything negative to say other than that for me personally, I don't see this album having a very high replay value. Some really catchy tunes, but I think their previous album was a little more polished, for lack of better words. Definitely worth picking up if you are looking for some new tunes though.
on June 30, 2014
This is the second CD I've downloaded by Nine Lashes. They have a great rock song. Uplifting and clean lyrics. I really like their sound. Both of their CDs will get lots of play from me. Nice to find hard rocking Christian bands!
on January 25, 2014
Even though it has only been two years since "World We View" was released, it still feels as if this album has been a long time coming. It has been almost three months since Nine Lashes released the single, "Break the World." Now that the entire album is released, I can profoundly say that it has been well worth the wait.

Nine Lashes was right what they said that they were going to take the intros heard from "World We View" and build on them for this album. This meant including some more electronic production thrown into the mix. So many bands have done this and it has completely changed their sound into something hardcore fans loathe (Ex: AFI, Fall Out Boy, Daughtry, Three Days Grace...).

Fortunately, the added electronic production does not take much away from Nine Lashes' "tried and true" sound. In fact, it adds some complexity and interesting twists to some of their songs. Even if the songs including some electronic production are unappealing to some, there are still songs like "Never Back Down," "Lights We Burn," "In the Dark," and "Light it Up" that have extremely minimal electronic influences to balance everything out.

Overall, this album is very well produced. The lyrics are well thought out and can appeal to a broad audience. I extremely recommend this album.
on June 19, 2014
i loved the early releases from this band, but this is just too poopy for my tastes. i guess some songs are okay but i was hoping for something more raw. oh well.
on June 19, 2014
Came across this band on Pandora radio, within "Red" channel and I had to add another channel under this band. Continued to stumble upon their songs and had to buy the CD. If you like Red, you should like/love this band as well. Great mixture of vocals and sound overall.
on April 17, 2014
I was a big fan of their previous album. This one is even better in my opinion. It hits harder.
on March 30, 2014
This is a good new rock album and has several very good songs. Nothing completely new/different but it definitely has some high points.