Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used Frommer's Maui book over 10 years ago when I initially traveled to Maui with my sister. At that time the book included a wonderful restaurant in Wailuku called 'A Saigon Cafe'. It was difficult to find, but well worth the trip for absolutely wonderful, fresh, creative Vietnamese food. It was a hidden treasure at the time when there was no posted sign. It is included in this 2012 publication too and I was happy to see it listed and given a 3-star rating.

The star rating system is used throughout the book. I had trouble finding what the stars actually mean since the little star icon is not in the first part of the book, but after looking closer, it is described in written text right above the seven featured icons on page ix. Zero-stars is 'recommended' and 3-stars are 'exceptional'

Overall, this is an excellent travel book that you can throw in your carry on. Frommer's 'free' attached map in the back of their books have been a disappointment. They do not provide enough detail and could simply be printed on additional pages in the back of the book. Instead, you have to tear out the map and then it is forever separated from the bound book. It is printed on durable, water-resistant paper which is nice.

Accommodations: The book includes lots of options at various price points. My all-time favorite place to stay along the NW shore is included: Napili Surf Beach Resort, although I would personally rate it as a 2-3 star, not a 1-star as is published in their book.

That's my take on the book and very nice to see Frommer's keeping their travel books up-to-date!
VINE VOICEon May 14, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Frommer's has such strong name recognition -- I keep expecting more from it but am always disappointed.

If you want a guide to typical restaurants and accommodations with a little of the natural attractions thrown in this could be helpful. If you want more of off the beaten path adventure I stronly recommend any of the Lonely Planet guides. I have Lonely Planet Discover Maui (Full Color Regional Travel Guide)and love it -- this will be my second trip to Maui and I'm brining the Lonely Planet guide with me again. I have used their guides for the Big Island and Kauai as well. All have lead me to delightful spots I would never have found on my own.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit that at first I was somewhat surprised to see a travel guide on Maui alone, but once I started reading it, I could see why. Maui is a luscious island blessed with great weather, lovely beaches and stunning scenery in every corner just to name a few assets. Additionally this beautiful island offers lots of outdoor activities for the young and old.

My favorite section in this book is titled "The Best of Maui" under this section there are some very interesting and informative sub-sections such as "The Best Beaches", "The Best Maui Experiences", "The Best Maui Adventures", "The Best of Underwater Maui", and "The Best Golf Courses" just to name a few.

Another section that I found interesting is a long list of films made in Hawaii but about other places. Each film listed shows the year that it was made along with some interesting tid bits.

Toward the back of the book, there's a whole section on a not so well known island called "Molokai". According to the book, this island is the least developed of all the Hawaiian islands. And like many of the other Frommer's travel guides, there are different types of easy to read maps and lots of colorful photos throughout the book as well as a large pull-out map of Maui. A good travel guide, highly recommended!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Waterfalls, romantic sunsets, lavender fields, day cruises, scuba diving, parasailing, snorkeling and helicopter rides all await you on your next vacation. This guide to Maui is written so well it is like taking a vacation just reading the book. This book will guide you to the best restaurants, hotels, spas and shops. The "Pineapple Grill" sounds wonderful. You will also learn some history like how there used to be sandalwood forests. The writers also recommend movies filmed in Maui and explain the best novels and nonfiction you may want to read before you go to Maui. This book will also tell you when to go to Maui so you can save money. So if you are looking for a great guide this has it all.

~The Rebecca Review
on June 21, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Frommer's Maui continues the tried and true concept of this excellent travel guide publisher. For a reasonable price you can find all the information that you might need. It is my favorite source for starting my vacation research. This edition far exceeds the Fodor travel guide line in readability and ease of use.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While we're no globetrotting family, we have been to Maui a couple of times and found that this book does a good job covering the sights that we think shouldn't be missed. While we tend more toward the "do it yourself" vacation rather than taking tours. We picked this book up in order to plan our next trip there and decide which other activities we'd like to try.

Lots of good information like fish, birds, and plants, as well as popular activities (scuba, snorkeling, kayaking, whale watching, etc.) are described in great detail. The book is littered with other tidbits of useful information -- did you know that Charles Lindbergh lived in Hana and is buried on Maui? If you like, you can go visit his grave.

Of particular interest to me are the sections like "Maui with kids," which outlines a 7-day trip to Maui for a family trip. The schedule includes arrival and pool time, volcano hiking, sailing, and driving the Hana Highway. Incredibly, this section touches on many of the highlights of our last family trip to Maui. We had a wonderful time, so I can't argue with the advice -- I'd stress that it is good to have some kind of plan when you go. That is, unless you just want to go and relax; in that case, having NO plan is preferred. Even if you don't have children (or don't intend to take yours with you!), there are suggested itineraries for 1 or 2 weeks on Maui as well as "Maui for the Adventurous" and 1 week on Molokai or Lanai.

Don't worry, if you're not interested in the "canned" itineraries provided, there is ample information in the book for you to plan your own adventure: There are plenty of color photos (at least one per page, it seems), several high-level maps, and a nice pullout map of Maui with detailed sections for Kaanapali, Kapalua, Lahaina and Wailea. FWIW, the map is more durable and detailed than the ones you get at the airport, hotels, or various vendor booths around the island!

For the record, I have to agree with the authors that Trilogy offers the best snorkeling and sailing in Hawaii!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My family first made use of a Frommer's guide book over 20 years ago while preparing for a visit to Costa Rica. We had gathered a good many guide books and materials and the Frommer's was the one that was, all around, the most useful. It came along on that trip and a Frommer's has been a travelling companion for most trips, both domestic and overseas, we have taken since. As regular visitors to Maui, the most recent Frommer's is a must-have before each vacation there. This new edition is no exception.

The guide has grown up over the years. More and better photographs and more thorough updates of sights, beaches and eateries. Of particular interest is the Frommer "way" of managing to provide more useful information about less popular locations than do the competitors. For example, my family spends a lot of time in and around Kihei. Not a tourist resort "hot spot" but a town immediately across the narrow waist of the island from the main airport at Kahului with great beaches and (relatively) reasonable prices.

At first, the updated book looked a little too flashy, too commercial... Too much like an advertisement. However, once I began to read the updated content for our favorite areas, I was pleased to discover that the information was as useful, detailed, engagingly written and as up-to-date as I have come to expect from Frommer's.

I can't imagine heading to Maui without the most recent Frommer's. Anyone who has not used one before is advised to give it a try. It helps in planning and making the most out of the time you are fortunate enough to get to spend on Maui.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have never picked up a Frommer's Anyplace that I've been unhappy to read. In general, these books have good information, colored maps, ratings, websites, hours of operations, phone numbers and more. They are generally written by someone who loves the place and who lives there or travels in that place quite a bit.

This book is no exception. The pictures are stunning. The information is enough to plan a trip but not so much that it is overwhelming. In this book Maui is broken down into the various areas of the island; for example, Kihei. And within each area you can find information about some places to lay your head with a wide range of places. Hotels include bed and breakfast establishments, condos, traditional hotels. You can find information about places to shop, suggested items to buy, places to get a good deal, tours and places to visit on your own.

One thing I like in particular about this book is the information that you can gather about doing activities with children.

We have been using this book to plan our upcoming trip to Hawaii. We fully expect to have a lot of fun and have found several things we wouldn't have thought of trying had it not been for this book.

Well worth the money.
Enjoy.
on July 2, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a decent guide of Maui, Lanai and Molokai.

I've been to Maui more than 20 times over the last few years and find this guide book to be accurate and reasonably complete.

Strong points
* Good coverage of the main activities and sights that are most worth
seeing in Maui.
* The writer's personality came out in this book quite a bit.
* The explanation of the names of the local seafood is quite valuable
* Nice inclusion of Lanai and Molokai

Weak points
* Coverage of restaurants is weak. Some of the best dining on Maui is ignored or given short shrift
* Seems to be a bias against certain resorts and hotels for no apparent reason
* The writing style is too dry; it does not build up much excitement in the reader to go visit Maui

The photographs in the book are decent, but not the best I've ever seen in Maui guidebooks.

Overall, this is a solid guidebook that will be a "read once only" book for most
on May 16, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a frequent visitor to Maui I found this book OK but not terribly impressive. I would recommend picking up a copy of Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook as that's still the classic.

The Frommer's book provides reasonable and up to date information, but it reads like a fairly typical travel guide without too much local knowledge in my opinion.

The maps are relatively minimal (you'll get better in one of the free "drive guide" advertising publications you can pick up at the airport or pretty much anywhere else on the island). Also the large bound-in fold-out map is really minimal in terms of information provided.

The book also offers some coverage of Molokai and Lanai.

It's relatively portable, and feels good in the hand. There are a reasonable number of color photographs but many have a "stock photo" feel to them.

So in short, a typical travel guide. Three and a half stars (rounded up) for this one.

G.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...