5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Warm Tales With Real Substance & Wisdom
If you find the whole genre of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' type books to be annoyingly sappy and over-the-top then this book is your antidote.

Published on January 4, 2005 by Jason E. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected!
This book was pretty much ok but not as good as i expected it too be,,guess i was a bit disappointed in it!
Published 6 months ago by Betty o

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Warm Tales With Real Substance & Wisdom, January 4, 2005

It features real stories from real life whereby the author (a Quaker pastor) draws real substantive wisdom. Where Chicken Soup and the like were "cute" or "charming", Gulley is challenging. There's plenty laugh out loud comedy here too, and enough sweetness to aggravate a toothache, but those elements are the icing instead of the cake.

Gulley talks about raising children to be tough, the capacity people have for mid-life change, prayer, loss, flexibility, the home, the dignity of work, the debilitating effect of television, why we need more listening and less psychology, love between a husband & wife, and many other subjects. Nearly all of these short essays are punctuated with surprisingly relevant scriptural anecdotes from the Good Book.

On the first page, Gulley wrote, "I thank God I was born before Nintendo video games and all the other things that keep kids from getting out and exploring their environs. My parents turned off the television set and sent me outdoors, where I met all kinds of interesting people, like Mrs. Harvey and Doctor Gibbs and Mr. Welty."

And he isn't kidding. This is a superb read that--through the window of the author's life--manages to search out so much of what's wrong with the world, offers beautiful alternatives, and does it all with the charity, humor, modesty, and self-depreciation proper to a Christian.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll read it over and over again!, July 13, 1999
This review is from: Front Porch Tales (Hardcover)
I'm 13 and I'll admit I only bought this book because I had a gift certificate to a local Christian bookstore and I couldn't find anything to buy in the young adult section. But after being bored one day I picked it and it's dusty cover off of my bookshelf and started reading it. I'm glad I did. Philip Gulley writes in an easy manner that anyone can understand, even a teenager like me. His stories make you laugh, even though I don't think he tries to be funny. It just comes out natural in his writing. I've read the book twice and got my mom to read it and she liked too. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read mini-stories, because that's what the book is. You can put the book down and not have to worry about remembering characters' names or other details. It's full of stories that will make you laugh and also warm your heart. So why are sitting here reading my review? Buy the book on Amazon today! If I'm 13 and I liked it, I think you'll like it too. Thanks for reading my review. Bye!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just need some peace..., October 16, 2001
Philip Gulley's books give me a sense of peace, calm, and quiet seasoned with a generous helping of humor that always lets me end my day on a happier note. I've read most of his works and especially enjoy the characters who make me think, "I KNOW that person!" "Front Porch Tales" has joined my other favorite book, Clyde Egerton's "Walking Across Egypt" as my gift of choice to dear friends and loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed the way I live my life., March 9, 1999
This review is from: Front Porch Tales (Hardcover)
For most of my life I have sought the answer to many questions about life, I've complicated my life in trying to find the answers. But here, after the better part of twenty-five years of searching, is the definitive answer.....basic simplicity, fundamental values, caring for each other, respecting each other, gathering strength from friends and family....no frills, no thrills in the new age sort of way....just remembering the past, learning from it and living by it, we've lost so much of it......well here it is...Phillip Gulley has restored my belief in living life to it's fullest, savoring every moment big and small. This book for all its simplistic values is the one book, that every man, women and child should read, to help them cherish the life that God has given us, the opportunities that are presented to us, and the gift of small, sacred treasures.....like home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Front Porch Tales: Warm-Hearted Stories of Family, Faith, Laughter and Love, September 24, 2005
Bought this as a gift for my Mother who is in a nursing home, looked for light, up lifting reading for her and WOW did I find it in this author, bought two more of his books and am thrilled with the poignant and sometimes humorous stories. Would recommend again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming Stories..., April 8, 2004
This was a wonderful little book about love, friends, family and faith. I don't normally read religious books, but this book left me feeling really good. Mr. Gulley has a wonderful sense of storytelling. He's never preachy, and he's very humorous without trying to be. I've just picked up the sequel to this book Hometown Tales...and though I've only read a couple stories in it...it's just as wonderful. I recommend Mr. Gulleys books to everyone. They won't disappoint you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories of small town life, April 22, 2004
Early in the book, the author states one of his teachers told him not to write. That teacher was very wrong.
This book is full of short, interesting stories of the author, the author's life and the people of his community. He, in a very short space, gives wonderful descriptions of the people and events of his community. Being from a small, rural town, I could relate to the events and people the author describes. Each town has a character like that described, and everyone has had events described in the book.
After reading the book, I felt that I had a new friend in Phillip Gulley. When I first picked the book up, I thought it would be a rather boring, dry book. I could not have been more wrong. It is a wonderful book, and goes much too quickly. I read it in an evening, and wanted more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Home Spun Experiences, March 24, 2006
Terrific book. Wonderful, warm, pratical, short stories. Excellent examples of how to treat others. Full of love, respect and fortitude. Have mentioned the book to many of my children as a wonderful source of positive examples as to the approach to life. Made certain to give a copy to my daughter. Each story takes less than 5 minutes to read but were so meaniful I still remember many of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must to read, October 2, 1999
This review is from: Front Porch Tales (Hardcover)
This whole series written by Philip Gulley is a refreshing change. Getting back to simplicity:What an idea! Gulley reminds us of people that we may overlook everyday,but that have lasting impact on us.We feel,as readers, that we know the people he writes about.Can't praise it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm & Wonderful, August 3, 2005
In this time of terror and termoil in the world, Philip Gulley provides an oasis of reason and peace based in faith. For Gulley fans, this is a must read along with Hometown Tales and the entire Harmony fiction series. His is a good, old fashion, back-to-basics approach to life and religion. I do not read Philip Gulley books, I devour them, satisfied yet always hungry for the next.

Front Porch Tales: Warm Hearted Stories of Family, Faith, Laughter and Love