5.0 out of 5 stars ZING! This is the real thing!
At last, a source for sparkling fresh, aromatic Sichuan pepper! This puts to shame all the withered flavorless pellets they sell by that name in spice shops and Chinatowns all over the country. Open the bag and a cold breeze flies over you; bite into a peppercorn and your whole mouth goes numb. Fantastic.
Published on June 29, 2010 by T. Sanchez

1.0 out of 5 stars Sichuan Peppercorns: Stale, tasteless, useless
I have used Sichuan Peppercorns many times at my home in China. Since I cannot bring them in from China by myself, I tried ordering them through Amazon. I received a large bag that is filled with old, stale and basically tasteless peppercorns. Unfortunately they are not refundable, so I threw them out. This was a bad investment and a most disappointing transaction.
Published on August 25, 2011 by Iris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sichuan Peppercorns: Stale, tasteless, useless, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Frontier Peppercorns, Sichuan Whole, 16 Ounce Bag (Grocery)

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FRONTIER AND NOT RETURNABLE!!! USE A DIFFERENT SUPPLIER!!, August 8, 2013
The product I received was a cellophane bag labeled "Dried Prickly Ash (Red Pepper)" and not the Frontier brand as the photo and description would have you believe. My package had a label with a barcode stuck on top of the original barcode, perhaps to hide it from the Amazon scanners..

If you want Frontier brand, I suggest ordering from the Frontier site, or pick another brand (and make sure it is returnable before you buy)

5.0 out of 5 stars ZING! This is the real thing!, June 29, 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Received cheaper brand!, November 3, 2012
I would only trust this company if they show you a photo of the trademark Frontier silver bag which all their foods come in.

I bought 2 and got some Chinese rip-off marked "Made in China" and (unlike Frontier's long-lasting storable bags) these were crumbly clear plastic and I could smell the product through the bag. I actually got a full refund because I wrote to Frontier and sent photos and they said they were false advertising. Now, it might be a different merchant, but still, they need to show a photo of the silver bag.

Here is the real deal:

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncleaned Peppercorns, February 21, 2012
A third of the peppercorns was seeds and stems.
I had to spend a lot of time cleaning out the seeds and stems.
I was expecting a ready to use product.

Other than the need to clean out stems and seeds, the flavor is strong and tastes wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-za, September 11, 2010
Bill G (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
To start... I received my package exactly 24 hours after placing it on the regular non-rushed shipment format!!
I opened the professionally sealed bag to a waft of spectacular, woodsy, smoky wonderfulness. The "peppercorns" are big and very fresh looking. The next day, having sealed the "peppercorns" in a ziplock bag, the smell in my kitchen is exquisite.
I am very excited to cook with these. I will be buying more spices from this company soon.
Product and delivery has more than exceeded expectation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely false advertising, September 30, 2013
Gordon (Bethesda, MD) - See all my reviews
I also received a bag of "Prickly Ash" which Sichuan Pepper is sometimes called... but it is NOT a Frontier product, and it was basically stale and junk. Do not be tempted. I will try to upload pictures of what I received, hopefully they will be accepted. And yes, they slapped a little tag on the back that said Frontier... but trust me, what these people are selling is not a Frontier product. No silver bag to start with. And Frontier sells 16 oz on their site for $40, so how could these folks sell it for $16?

5.0 out of 5 stars SLOW TO ARRIVE, BUT WORTH THE WAIT, September 1, 2010
This is the best Sichuan Peppercorns that I ever bought. They smell so wonderful, there is no comparison.
I just love the clean and fresh look of them. They are so much better than the one you got from China town.

They ship about 3 weeks after placing my order. I would order early next time.

Highly recommend this product to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars they were vacum pack and fresh, September 24, 2013
.I hate these long reviewes just get to the point did it get there and was it as shown works great and ad shown

2.0 out of 5 stars Sichuan Pepper yes but low grade immature unoped seed pods, October 2, 2013
I also received a bag of "Prickly Ash" which Sichuan Pepper is technically called. But it is NOT Frontier product packaging (it was "super" brand a standard low grade oriental market brand), and it was basically low grade immature unoped seed pods that would never be found in a spice market. But sold to uneducated American consumers. that being said they were and are reasonably fresh but require intense cleaning. How you may ask? well first pour them in a bowl type colander and remove as many of the seeds as possible they are the round black parts they have no flavor and when stir fried are like grains of sand. then lay them out on the counter or large tray fish out the fully closed pods they will contain seeds you must put them in a mortar and lightly crush/rub them to rid the seed at this point the red/brown husk stem (flavorful husk) are ready for use. Yes it takes a hour or so Yes you loose almost 1/2 the weight to waste but until we can find a better source (please message me who I will buy and review) we get what we get. So the real price is more like 30.00 not 15.00

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›