5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, delicious, versatile...
Published on February 10, 2010 by Hugh Thompson

Published on May 24, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks like 2-star cocoa being sold as 4 1/2-star cocoa... don't buy it!, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Frontier Fair Trade Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali Certified Organic, 16-Ounce Bag (Grocery)
Ordered a package of this cocoa around April 25th 2011. It was fabulous. Worthy of the 4 1/2 stars rating. Deep rich color. Well sealed. So good we needed to reorder about a month later. So went back to same amazon site, same picture and did reorder. This time however, upon arrival it was not same company, packaging or label (hokey looking)... Instead of "Frontier" it said "Organic Herbal Essence". Upon further investigation I went to my Amazon history and noticed first batch came from Sold by: Bangalla Organic Wholesale LLC and second batch came from Sold by: Organic Herbal Essence. Keep in mind that Organic Herbal Essence is the cocoa that sells on Amazon that is only rated at 2-stars:[...] I checked and can't return it. Called Organic Hebal Essence during business hours, left message, no one returned my call. My opinion is just slapping a tiny white Avery label on the bag with tiny print (really tiny) that says "Frontier Cocoa" doesn't eliminate the huge color label on the bag that says "Organic Herbal Essence... Dutch Cocoa". it certainly doesn't turn a 2-star cocoa into a 4 1/2 star cocoa. My main frustration is it is obviously a different company and different packaging, but no explaination or offer to refund. Seems like a "bait and switch". My advice; take a pass on this one until they get it sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, delicious, versatile..., February 10, 2010
Hugh Thompson (Ellicott City, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I've purchased "Dutch process" cocoa, and I have to say, it is delicious! It is rich and mild, lacking the bitterness of regular cocoa powders. I bought it with no particular purpose in mind (I don't bake), just looking for ways to add more cocoa into my diet to get that great chocolate taste as well as the healthy antioxidants it provides. I've been enjoying experimenting mainly with adding it to hot beverages such as coffee or coffee substitutes. Often I don't even bother to sweeten these beverages - the mild flavor of this cocoa allows me to enjoy its natural chocolate flavor unsweetened. I even added a big spoonful to my oatmeal recently, along with everything else I normally add, and that was a treat! I'm looking forward to finding more ways to work it into my diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark dream of a product, October 14, 2009
Uncle Sal (California Desert) - See all my reviews
Can't say enough good things about this Cocoa. Have used it in cakes, breads, chilies - deep, dark, delicious. When it arrived I though a pound was a ridiculous amount to own. Now I find myself looking for excuses to cook with it and about to order another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rancid. Smelled horrible., March 21, 2012
Bought 3 of these. One came in smelling funny. Thought it was me. Ordered a 2nd it was just fine. Smelled okay. Ordered a 3rd one and it smells bad. I would not recommend this product. Something is seriously wrong here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Odd odor and taste., February 10, 2011
This cocoa has a strange herbal odor. Call me crazy, but i smells sort of like weed - not a weed, but weed. I noticed it when I first opened the bag, but baked a cake with it anyway. It was inedible. Tossing the rest of the bag in the trash. I would not buy again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rancid flavor!, October 23, 2011
Do not waste your money on this product. It has an awful rancid flavor (this might be due to improper storage procedures and oxidation). Cannot return it either - Amazon return policy. Go for a superior product like the one from KAF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, September 14, 2009
I have used many organic cocoa powder products and have found "Frontier" the best value of all. The powder is very fine and mixes easily in my smoothies. The price is fantastic for organic AND fair trade. The Cocoa is tasty, ethically marketed, and reasonably priced: a great buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hook and Switch, January 7, 2012
The first time I ordered this the chocolate had a good cocoa smell. It was reddish (more than I had anticipated), but when I baked it, it was a deep almost black brown. The flavor was amazing. I was instantly hooked, however the second time I ordered it I received a completely different product. The packaging was different, it came in re-sealable bags and the cocoa smelled minty, and this mintyness is transferred over to your baked goods. Moreover, the chocolate flavor is weaker, too. I was not happy about this at all. I will not buy from them again, since they send you a completely different product after the first order.

1.0 out of 5 stars YUCK., January 20, 2012
I was so excited to receive my first dutch-processed cocoa powder especially after all the wonderful reviews of the Frontier one on Amazon.

I was first apprehensive about the 'Organic Herbal Essence' - 'Frontier' mixup but when I saw a big red rimmed label with "Frontier" in green on the bag along with USDA Organic & Fair Trade mark/logos among other print, I quickly opened the bag and took out a spoonful of the powder to examine. I was slightly disappointed in the color, as I've read that dutch-processed cocoa powder had a deeper and sometimes redder color. I took out my box of natural, unsweetened Trader Joes cocoa powder and saw that the dutch-processed cocoa was darker and slightly redder in color in comparison, though not as much as I had hoped (and certainly not as deep as the picture on Amazon).

I've also read that dutch-processed cocoa has a richer 'chocolatier' fragrance to it and so I took a whiff from the bag. To my dismay, a medicinal, acidic, spicey smell met my unsuspecting nose. I once again grabbed my Trader Joe's unalkalized cocoa powder and it smelled more 'chocolatier' than the Frontier bag. The expiration date is sometime in 2014 so I believe I either got a bad bag or this product is definitely not up to the hype. I even tried to mix some in my cup of coffee, as another reviewer had and raved about, and it tasted so.. 'off' and unappealing I had to mix in some sugar (I dont usually sweeten my coffee) and gulp down the rest (I hate wasting food and the coffee beans were kind of expensive heh).

I'm still searching for a good dutch-processed cocoa powder, which is more difficult to find than I had hoped.. Thinking of looking into E Guittard, Pernigotti, or Green & Black next, at the recommendation of others, and Penzeys or Valrhona as last resorts (not available where I live and shipping is a killer). I'd suggest anyone looking for dutch-processed cocoa powder to skip this product and try the next option instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor cocoa flavor and tastes funny, December 16, 2011
I would not recommend this cocoa to anyone. The flavor is horrible - it is weak and then there are other flavors in it (kinda like incense). Do not waste your money on this.