Frontline - Memory of the Camps
Format: DVDChange
Price:$12.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 31, 2006
Format: DVD
I am a white, middle aged, Australian male and try to pay attention to the needs of my family, friends and people in the local and global communities. This project is without doubt the single most graphic and convincing evidence I have ever experienced for my sense that we all need to take responsibility for ensuring our voice is ALWAYS heard.

This video has enabled me to have conversations with my teenage children, and their friends, that I hope will ensure their generation is a little better equipped to deal with the awesome challenges that await them.

But the video, watch all of it if you can, weep, rage and strengthen your resolve to do what is possible within your power to promote a legacy of - Never Again - for the countless people who were blameless victims of the worst evil humanity has ever had to confront.

I strongly advise that parents review the video personally if they have children 15-16 years or younger prior to allowing them (or not) to view it.
on March 7, 2006
Format: DVD
Having just watched this unbelievably powerful documentary, I am still shaken, and suspect I will be for days. The footage is simply incredible. No other film about WWII, fictional or non-fictional, captures the horror of the concentration camps as simply and powerfully as this.

It is the most disturbing, horrifying, and powerful pieces of film I have ever seen.
on January 13, 2008
Format: DVD
This shocking film was broadcast in the U.K. as "A Painful Reminder" in 1985-forty years after WW2; I never forgot how disturbing those images were.
Available now again on DVD it really is a must see, a really chilling experience for those who want to see for themselves a terrible and dark chapter of history.
In some scenes at Bergen-Belsen there are carefully filmed scenes of the German female so called "SS" guards being put to work. Over 30,000 corpses lay strewn on the ground when the British liberated this place of hell on earth.For fourteen days these inhuman specimens were made to clear the ground of these poor pathetic 'prisoners' into several mass graves.
Deeply upsetting 100% original war footage of SEVERAL camps are included here, not recommended for those easily perturbed, and, viewer discretion certainly required.
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This movie is disturbing on many levels. Watching Schindler's List is one thing...but to watch this movie and know you are watching cold, hard reality is an eyeopener. I doubt anyone can watch this movie and not wonder at all the individual lives lost, tormented, tortured and terminated. You heart grieves for them. You want to know where in the world this kind of thing is going on now, what you might be able to do to stop it.

You also wonder...if you had been a German in one of the surrounding towns...would you have also complied as thousands upon thousands were prisoned, starved and exterminated under your nose? Would your heart for humanity have allowed you to speak and take action or would your basic animal instinct to survive have kept you quiet and looking the other way?

Truly some harsh self examination must take place.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This shows the end result of the horrors that took place during the Holocaust. The real horrors were never filmed and quite frankly no one would want to watch someone being tortured.

This film, although being extremely graphic, can never convey the true demonic horrors that took place there. You see thousands of corpses dragged, carried etc into large pits for burial after the camps were liberated. The film explains that 30,000 corpses were there, you see piles and piles of them but now lets not forget that over 11,000,000 died in the Nazi concentration camps.
How can we even come close to understanding what took place there but this film is shocking enough to make you sick. The question: "How can one human treat another in such a horrible way?" keeps popping into your head when you are watching this.

I highly recommend this DVD and would give it more stars if I could.
This should be shown in schools and people should be taught to love one another, no matter who you are or where you're from. Let the deaths of these poor souls have some meaning in that we learn something from it.

On another note:
I was pleasantly surprised that the quality of the DVD was top-notch!
Too many holocaust DVDs that I have seen are encoded poorly and the film transfers look bad as well. The 'Memory of the Camps' DVD seems as if it's had the film transferred from the original film.

Highly recommend it, show your children, they will never forget the images and will understand what war can bring to mankind.
on May 11, 2009
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I watched this video almost 15 years ago and it still remains one of the most vivid films I have ever seen. The fact that it is a silent movie makes it even more impressionable. I don't think I said a word as I watched it all those years ago and it still left an unforgettable mark on my mind. I finally bought this today because there are a few people I know who need to see this film. I think it is a must see for everyone whether they want to or not. We must make sure the future never forgets what happened all those years ago and that true evil does exist and if you ignore it, it will not just go away.
In September, I will be traveling to Munich for Oktoberfest which will be great, but the whole reason I wanted to go to Germany was to see one of these places for myself. Dachau will be one stop along the way.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 24, 2008
Format: DVD
When I first started teaching history... pre- Schindler's List; it was astounding how many of my high school students had never heard of the holocaust. Today even after the building of a Holocaust museum and many films this is still the most powerful one. The only complaints I ever had about the quality and interest developed was that many students disliked the narrator's droning voice. This is a British film, taken of the liberation of Bergan Belsen, but it also uses films that the Nazis took in documenting their camps.

It does good to explain to anyone what they will see, but also remind then of what they cannot smell, remind them of what they will see of the nearby townspeople who were made to walk through the camps that they denied they knew nothing of what was happening in when the stench could be smelled for a great distance. Remind and remember that these bodies are people, mothers, fathers, children, grandparents - they look like wax shrunken statues... they are not

This was the only documentary that I found that showed the bulldozing of bodies by the Nazis into the trenches, believe me that wakes up even a jaded teenager. As years have gone by I have noticed an aloofness, a dispassion to the violence students see in videos and films, after all look at what they have in their average game cube - Memory of the Camps has been the one film and then tape and now DVD that I pull out in the spring WWII unit that leaves my students talking and even telling their parents that they must get this and see.
on March 22, 2011
Format: DVD
Watching this footage is extremely heartbreaking and outrageous to the point where a viewer can't help but ask oneself, how could this ever happen? How could other people let it go on a daily basis? Your mind may want to believe that such thing never happened or that it was impossible for something like this to take place even during a war as tragic as World War II that left numberless victims throughout the world. This is not a horror show, this is the very grim reality of what inhuman deeds can humanity do during its worst times. As disturbing as this footage is, this documentary should be viewed by everyone at least once in their lifetime to remind ourselves of what one human is capable of doing to another and hopefully, to prevent this from happening ever again.

History tends to repeat itself, unfortunately. Only by knowing and witnessing it as well as not forgetting what happened in the godforsaken places like Auschwitz and many other camps throughout Eastern Europe during 1933-1945 are we to have a brighter future.

We are the messengers of this generation, by passing this document and knowledge to our children and peers we can make sure that the millions of people haven't died their terrible deaths in vain.

The images shown here will be forever sketched into your memory.
on May 29, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I had seen several Dvds about the Nazi death/concentration camps, but the other programs did not prepare me for anything as graphic and disturbing as this. It is not for the faint of heart. I think it will be with me for a long time.

There are scenes of thousands upon thousands of emaciated dead bodies being heaved into open pits and the mass graves being covered over by bulldozers. SS guards and German citizens were forced to do the dirty work, which was as it should have been. On and on it goes, from death camp to death camp. What I cannot imagine is how anyone who is sane could deny that the Nazis did this intentionally to the millions of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, communists, and others who were deemed inferior trash by the self-proclaimed "master race." But already new generations say yeah, yeah.

In the 2000 election a man ran for the House of Representatives in my district, a man whose hobby was dressing up as an SS officer on weekends and participating in living history fun. Fun? I am ashamed to say that he received a thin majority in my county, although he was defeated by votes elsewhere. It was just a "hobby," some said in apologizing for his action. They should see this Dvd. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference to some, but perhaps a few would be touched by the horror of what the SS did.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2012
Format: DVD
Every school, church, synagogue, and mosque ought to have a copy of this one hour film. Every home ought to have access to it. In it, the incomprehensible is revealed through narration and depiction.

As one of German descent, I thought I would feel shame as the grandchild of German immigrants. Instead, I am ashamed of humanity's capacity for the worst kinds of astrocities. This film graphically depicts the outcome of the work of the Nazi state; heaven only knows what these innocents experienced prior to their deaths.

The most shocking thing about this well-done documentary is that it shows that the impossible is indeed possible. Let the viewer be warned of this film's strong lessons: beware of the power of deception and self-deception.

Let the human race join in an everlasting chorus of: "Never Again"