5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, sensitive handling of a difficult subject, April 11, 2008
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
I saw part of this program when it aired on PBS. I wanted to see the entire program and ordered this DVD. I have since shown it to all my family and several close friends. All have reacted the same way... grateful they saw the process of working with the grieving as they go on after the death of a loved one. None of us gets out of this life alive, yet little is said or done to explain the final process of life. This program paints a picture of sensitive, caring funeral personnel, as well as a glimpse into family situations death can bring about. Choices of cremation or burial are better understood.Pre-planning to save the family from choices in their grief is also represented. I feel a richer person, in spirit, for having heard the poetry of Thomas Lynch that is peppered into this must-see program. Thanks to all who worked to produce it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Educational DVD, August 2, 2008
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
I used this DVD as part of the educational program at a hospital's pastoral care department. Students, staff, and volunteers are uniformly touched by its realism and sensitivity. It provokes thoughtful discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Moving, August 11, 2010
Tristan Heberlein "tristano" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
The Undertaking provides a powerful and moving view of the process of sickness, death, funeral preparations and burial. It tells the story of what we usually don't like to think about, but for one family is a lifestyle (preparing and presenting the recently departed). Definitely worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something We All Should Consider, January 18, 2011
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
I originally saw this on PBS a few years ago and ordered this dvd to see the entire doc. Like most people, when it comes to pondering death in relation to family, friends, and myself, I go into ocelot mode.
What makes this documentary good is that it presents the subject of death and dying with a lot of sensitivity while addressing a lot of the issues associated with grief as well as the funeral and burial process. There are numerous options available to families, but I doubt that many people give this adequate consideration until someone dies. It impressed upon me how important it is to be well-informed and to also make one's wishes known to the family before death visits.
The bottom line is this is an interesting and informative look at the funeral industry that approaches the subject of death with a lot of caring while also addressing practical issues. It also doesn't sensationialize death.

4.0 out of 5 stars your date with the reaper treated with dignity, December 25, 2013
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
Not something we like to think about, nor is it a good idea to dwell on, either––but guess what? It happens to every one of us. We all get deep sixed eventually.

Yes, we know and like all those horror flicks about the one-eyed, murderous undertaker in flicks like Fantasm (I know: that particular undertaker happens to be very tall, but does have both eyes) and others. They're fun to watch, no doubt. Thing is, scare flicks are made to entertain you, which is fine...what you get here is the real thing, the way it goes, what actually happens behind the scenes when you kick off.
I say take a look; not for any morbid reason, but as a way of dealing with and accepting the whole thing, including the fact you're mortal and everyone's time is fleeting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking film, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
"The Undertaking" is a Frontline documentary inspired by poet/undertaker Thomas Lynch's book of the same name. It is a gentle look at the rites and rituals of death in America. Lynch is a thoughtful man who's poetic bent comes through in his observations about his family's three generation commitment to giving the dead, and the living, the respect they deserve at the end of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous documentary, dignified, poetic, September 8, 2012
Arizona1010 "Arizona1010" (Bisbee, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
Extremely well edited, beautiful, dignified, poetic, never morbid or gross, interesting, heart breaking at times but we all must confront death. Can't imagine a more lovely way to honor those who have passed and those who grieve for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm so grateful for this, January 17, 2013
RDA freak (Salt Lake City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
I have wanted to own this since its first broadcast on PBS. It's packed with information that makes planning easier. I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
VERY well done. you learn a lot about life and the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars what is the name of the song ???, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Frontline: The Undertaking (DVD)
Approximately at the 4:42 mark into this documentary a musical piece starts - does anyone know the title/composer of this piece ??

Frontline: The Undertaking
Frontline: The Undertaking by Karen O'Connor (DVD - 2008)
$24.99 $19.99