Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD

Frost Burned - Mercy and Honey: Do not read thread if you haven't read the book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 8:30:02 AM PST
N. Jones says:
Hello!

I need help and I'm hoping fellow fans of the Mercy Thompson series will provide.

I am so confused regarding the "dislike" between Mercy and Honey. I recall in the beginning of the series that there was a mutual disdain between the two, but I also recall that the disdain turned into a tentative relationship, almost friendship as the series progressed.

In Frost Burned, the dislike between Mercy and Honey is back in full force. So much so, that it's confusing because it seems that this dislike is back to square one without any of the growth that occurred. Could it have anything to do with the dominance fight between Mary Jo and Paul?That Honey is a bit angry that her position as a submissive in the pack (due to her mate) is threatened now that women are involved in dominance fights now?

If the above is correct, then I can understand Honey's dislike of Mercy. But, Briggs writes book 7 as if there was never any forward movement with their relationship.

The fact of the matter is this: I love the Mercy Thompson series, and book 7 was amazing. But Mercy started to grate on my nerves with the "she doesn't like me" and "Mary Jo and Honey can live together because they both hate me" chant that is constant throughout the last part of the book.

Please provide perspective if you can. I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:41:22 AM PST
Mike Briggs says:
Hi :) You are right, they were starting to deal well with each other. However, in Silverborn, Mercy shakes up the standards of rank in the pack in order to allow Mary Jo to fight. If the pack decides to hold to that ruling (and, off screen, they have mostly been trying to ignore the ramifications) that would put Honey way up the pack rankings. Honey was Very unhappy about that and they have gone back to being not-friends again. My apologies for not making it clear in Frost Burned (and I agree that it is not) for the reasons for Honey's renewed dislike of Mercy.
Best wishes,
Patty Briggs

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:54:57 AM PST
N. Jones says:
Oh, thank you so much! I was thinking that I had everything wrong, and I've read this series so many times. I appreciate the clarity.

I ranked Frost Burned four stars, but now it's going up to five.

Best,
Nikki, one of your forever fans

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 8:32:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2013 8:46:58 AM PST
About those drugs that were supposed to work on werewolves, am I correct that they did no such thing? That the government has not yet come up with any viable pharmaceutical option for controlling werewolves?

In Frostburned, it was the combination of silver and ketamine that got the weres rather than some new wonder drug. Silver has always been deadly to wolves and combined with a walloping dose of ketamine, it made the wolves drugged out and too lethargic to fight effectively. Without the silver, the wolves would have eventually been able to push the ketamine out of their systems.

Adam sucked a lot of the silver out his pack, an act of self-sacrifice that helped keep them from falling completely to the effects of the combination. Then his mate Mercy sucked the bulk of it out him.

The rest of the silver in the wolves was taken out by the half-fae son (Tad) of Mercy's best fae friend Zee--the one who she bought the garage from way back when.

My understanding is that the idea of a revolutionary new drug that could control werewolves was created as a smokescreen by Doc Wallace's son Gerry. Gerry was desperate to save his father and did not care who he hurt in order to do it. Doc Wallace was going to have to be put down as a werewolf because he could not successfully combine his gentle human nature with his out-of-control killer wolf side.

Gerry's plan involved having Doc Wallace choose to fight Bran. Gerry hoped his father's need to protect him would make his father come into his own as a werewolf. Doc Wallace would be fighting the Marrok because he would have called for Gerry's death for creating a drug fatal to werewolves--and then selling that drug to feds.

But what Gerry was REALLY going to do to prevent the Marrok from killing Doc Wallace in the fight was to enlist a black witch's magic. The idea that it was a drug that would turn the tide or that a drug existed to control weres was a red herring to everyone busy while Gerry could safely put his real plan into effect.

If I am wrong about this, I hope someone corrects me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, Book 7)
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, Book 7) by Patricia Briggs (Hardcover - March 5, 2013)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,275)