1,162 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want!
Published 23 months ago by BookGeek

2.0 out of 5 stars 2/3 of the way in and it's a different story
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want!, March 5, 2013
I loved this book. It is action packed, filled with intense emotion and some traumatic scenes. Mercy has gained so much through out the series that the threat of losing the people she loves is always hanging over her head. And, since Ms. Briggs is such an amazing writer, it is also hanging over our heads. My biggest issue with "River Marked," was the absence of my favorite cast of supporting characters. Mercy and Adam were on their honeymoon and so there was no four-letter word Ben, no fierce Kyle, and barely a glimpse of the crotchety Fae mechanic, Zee. I'm happy to say the cast is back and Mercy Thompson is as entertaining as she's ever been.

This book reminds me of earlier installments, but it isn't repetitive in anyway. "Frost Burned" somehow manages to be a whole new world, while sticking to the formula that makes us rush to the bookstore on release day. It has that same sort of dread I felt before I knew how capable and powerful Mercy and team could be. Mercy has proven time and again that she is a survivor. A lucky coyote. The thing about being lucky is that luck runs out. No matter how capable, no matter how fast or how strong, bad things will happen to you. Bad things definitely happen to the pack in book seven.

Mercy can't find Adam or any members of the pack. Phones are off and the only reason she knows Adam is alive is due to the pain she feels through their mate bond. Mercy Thompson is not the kind of gal who sits in a corner and cries when things go wrong, so she springs into action. Being as careful as Mercy can be, she goes on a mission to find her husband and her pack mates. Bran and Samuel are unreachable and all the fae have hidden away in the fairy mounds, which means Mercy is basically on her own. From the moment Mercy hits the car in front of her in an accident to the last page, this book will put you on edge. The glimpses of Adam we get through out the book left me afraid, nervous and angry. I mean, how dare anyone mess with my favorite wolves! (I guess, if they didn't we wouldn't have a book, but still!)

The wolves, led by the formidable Bran, have always been one of the best parts of this series. (same can be said of the spin-off series `Alpha and Omega') Briggs created a world that is brutal, complex, intelligent and terrifying all at once. I love the wolves, but I am afraid of them. In "Frost Burned," we take it to the next level, I am afraid for them. The jig is up. The wolves are out, the fae have turned their backs on the humans and everyone is on edge. The events in this book are a brilliant domino effect from the events that took place in the last installment of the spin-off series. One of my thoughts after reading "Fair Game," was to wonder if this would trickle into Mercy's world. Boy did it!

Everything that you want from a good urban fantasy story is all there on the page. It is filled with action, danger, suspense, comedy and romance. They are separate for a good chunk of this book, but do not worry that you will miss Adam and Mercy's relationship. They are in love, they are strong and together they are formidable. Even separated their bond ties them deeper than a simple ring. I love that. I am often afraid of the couple "committing" in a series like this and I admit to doubting Ms. Briggs when she had them get married. When I am wrong, I say I'm wrong. Their bond helps to make these books new. Mercy is no longer the lone coyote in her trailer looking in on the pack. She is pack and she has a new strength that comes from being truly loved and accepted.

This book doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but not everything is tied up in a neat bow. I am still very interested in what is going to happen with the fae and how that is going to effect the other supernatural beings. Humans tend to fear everything that is different and fear often evolves into anger and hate. We have not seen the last of the issues that exploded in this book.

You will be sad. You will be jubilant. You will rejoice. This book will pull emotions out of you and it will all be worth it. You will wonder how you can possibly wait for the next adventure, but then you definitely will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the Series, March 6, 2013
Ever since I found Moon Called in a bookstore a few years ago and bought it on a whim, Patricia Briggs has been one of my favorite authors. In fact, every time a new Mercy or Alpha/Omega book is released, I like to reread all the previous books again. For me, they stand up to the multiple rereads; I am just as captivated the third or fourth time through as I was upon the first reading.

One of my favorite things about this series is how it blends the supernatural with more mundane concerns. Mercy is still figuring out her mate bond with Adam, and she also worries about being a good stepmother to Jesse. Mercy can shapeshift into a coyote, but she gets tangled up in her clothes. She sees ghosts, but she's also still dealing with the aftermath of previous events on a psychological level. It's that grounding in a reality that the reader can relate to which makes the supernatural elements that much more believable.

The book takes place back in Mercy and Adam's hometown, so the full cast of characters is back after their absence in River Marked. Ms. Briggs does a good job of rounding out even the less important characters, and it is fun to get little snippets of the characters' past, especially Zee. He's always been intriguing to me, so I love those tiny clues to his past. Tad actually gets to be a part of this book rather than a passing mention, and Stefan the Scooby Doo-loving vampire is back too. During the course of the action (and there is a lot of action), references are made to events from previous books--some of them are explained pretty well if your memory is fuzzy, but others are just a quick passing mention. I would definitely recommend reading all the books in both this series as well as the Alpha/Omega one, rather than trying to pick this one up as the first one to read. Each book ends with all the main plot points wrapped up, so there is a sense of closure and satisfaction every time, but there are small details left open-ended that turn into the impetus for later books.

Ms. Briggs has created a fascinating world populated with werewolves, vampires, witches, and other supernatural creatures, as well as giving us three-dimensional characters that I could imagine being friends with in real life. I tore through this book in a single day, and I can't wait to reread it at a slower pace. Fantastic addition to the Mercy Thompson series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to the "old feel" of the series, March 5, 2013
After the big ending of Fair Game, I really expected this book to focus on the aftermath of that one. It doesn't. Of course, the decision by the Fae to pull away from human society is incorporated into the story, but it is by no means, part of the main plot.

The big driver of the book: someone has kidnapped Adam and almost all of his pack. Only by a twist of luck were Mercy and Jesse away from home during the abduction. She must find a way to keep Jesse safe and pool her resources to try to rescue her husband. It's not easy. The bad guys are after her too. And she has to reach outside her comfort zone to trust those she needs as allies. But in typical Mercy fashion, when the chips fall, she manages to do what needs to be done.

I enjoyed this book far more than I did the last Mercy installment. It recaptured the feel of the older books in a lot of ways. We're back on Mercy's home turf. Her allies are with her. I had missed Ben and Stefan. They are two of my favorite supporting characters in the series. It wasn't only them, but Zee, Tad, Gabriel, Tony, Kyle, and the pack too. I also like that even with Mercy and Adam's wedding, it doesn't make all the pack members forget how they feel about her. Those who didn't like her before, still don't like her now. It's not all sunshine and roses.

Mercy and Adam are apart for much of the book, but Patty Briggs does a great job showing how strong their relationship is. How they draw strength from one another. Plus, as an added treat, we get to spend some time in Adam's head, getting some passages from his POV. Very cool.

It's awesome how Briggs ties in the events of the previous stories, keeping the continuity among the books. But I will admit that there were a couple of times my memories grew a bit hazy on the details, especially when we got into who all the vampires were. Perhaps I should have done a re-read. (Specifically in retrospect, a refresher on Bone Crossed might have been helpful.) But Briggs did a good job filling in the blanks when my memory failed me.

There is a pretty notable loss for the pack, though so much is going on, I don't really feel like we got the chance to feel the real emotional impact. My only other complaint... I felt a disconnect between the two factions involved in the kidnapping. The first tier made sense, but I didn't get how it was connected to the "other" threat. How they ended up working together... or at least toward the common end of the kidnapping.

Overall, though, I liked it. I think it will be a hit for fans of the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2/3 of the way in and it's a different story, March 18, 2013
I was really into this story. I loved that it seemed that old enemies were coming back to haunt Adam and Mercy-- that the targeting of Adam was based on history we've all been a part of. Then BAM! Vampire feuds and a new 'upstart'... and WHAT??? Where did the story we were building up to go? It was as if Ms. Briggs put the book away 2/3rds of the way in, and when she picked it up again just decided to go in a completely different direction. All kinds of threads are left loose and dangling in the wind. Who told the upstart vampire villain (see it even sounds silly) about the werewolves weaknesses that only a few knew about? Where is the leak? Why if everyone is afraid of Mercy and what she can do would the villain simply not AVOID her, instead of provoking her. Pretty stupid thing to do, frankly.

Honestly I think the first 2/3rd had the potential to be the strongest book in the series. The last 1/3 is just plain terrible.

What happened?

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Series, but Frost Burned Fell a Little Short, April 3, 2013
Frost Burned is the 7th book in the Mercy Thompson series. I have to say that this series just seems to feel stagnate, yet I can't help but feel that maybe this was a bridge to another side of the story. I can hope. Mercy is a fantastic character and remains so, but the story line just fell short. Frost Burned started out fantastic and had my complete attention but in the end I was left with my brows wrinkly thinking about what exactly happened. The villain didn't have much history and it was hard to feel passionate about this person. I felt indifferent. Mercy should also be growing as a character...that is typically what I love about a series, but I am not feeling it with Mercy. She should be changing with all of these experiences she is gaining, but instead she remains the same. I still love this series, but I know this installment should have been more. I do have to mention that the cover is rockin'!
*I personally purchased this book from a physical book store and received no compensation for this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Characters have gone schizo and story that is phoned in, August 20, 2013
It makes me crazy when an author can't keep track of what she's previously written. So I have to say, Brigg's books are starting to irk me. Like in the last book where she forgot how many female members were in the pack and stated there were only 2 when there are 3. Things like that ... annoying. When character's personalities and growth from previous books just evaporate with absolutely no warning however, that REALLY drives me right around the bend. So last book starts out with Mercy going to Stefan's house and bodily dragging him out to the movies to have a good time and be all buddy buddy. This book, she hesitates to call him for help because she's all wigged out about his vampire nature and "sees him more as a vampire than as a friend"??? Uh say what now? And Honey apparently randomly hates Mercy again for absolutely no discernible reason. The throwaway excuse is laughable (she might blame Mercy for the shifting dynamics of females being allowed a place in the pack structure) but that excuse gets blown out of the water since Honey ends up being all buddy buddy with Mary Jo at the end (I've vagued that up a bit so as not to give away some stuff). Considering Mary Jo is the person directly responsible for females being allowed dominance challenges and Mercy abstained from voting in the female fights, it makes absolutely NO SENSE that Honey would hold it against Mercy but not Mary Jo. Briggs just obviously needs Mercy to have no female friends so she can make her the poor coyote outsider, which is getting ridiculous at this point.

The plot... meh. Other people have said enough about the plot to give an idea of its weaknesses. I am just wishing Briggs would get herself a GOOD beta reader who actually reads her books and who will tell her honestly when she's going off the rails in terms of characterization.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mercy Needs More Time to Grow, March 14, 2013
Frost Burned suffers from the same issue that's popped up in recent Mercy books: incredibly compacted timelines.

For instance, the days blur together, but I'm pretty sure that this story takes place in less than seven days. And if you've noticed in a few of the reviews the comment that Mercy doesn't appear to be changing or growing much as a character, they're right. Just how much personal change can someone expect in seven days?

As a story, Frost Burned is a tightly woven look into what happens when Adam and Mercy's pack become the target of xenophobes. They have a plan to show the world just how bad werewolves are and why they should be shot on sight. Little do those pesky humans know, but someone else is pulling the strings in the background.

And this is the issue where the compacted timelines really seems to detract from the story. About 3/4 of the way through, Mercy learns of a chain of events in their proverbial backyard (Portland, Nevada, LA, etc.) that are the source of why her pack is being attacked. In each of these instances, it strikes me as incredibly poor intelligence gathering on the part of the werewolves to 1) not be aware that these things are happening; and 2) not foresee the possibility that they'll get dragged into the mess.

However, in order to make the story work, that very thing happens, and the werewolves are caught off guard and thus my frustration with the timelines in the Mercy books. There's rarely enough room (or time) in the story to accommodate the kind of nuance that could lead to character growth. I'm sure Ms. Briggs has her reasons for the short story lines, but they make it incredibly difficult to demonstrate character growth in such a short amount of time.

Again, Frost Burned is a great story, but the signs are there that future stories could suffer if the characters aren't given room and time to grow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bait and switch, April 28, 2013
This is really a summary of two books. The first half of Frost Burned was pretty dang good. It had a good build up, there was some good interaction between Mercy and her stepdaughter, the drama of the pack's disappearance was building nicely, Mercy was rallying her faculties and forces, and . . . and then what felt like it was supposed to be the primary story ended halfway through the book. Not only did this storyline resolve itself, it did so with virtually no assistance from Mercy. There were a couple of random shifts from Mercy's 1st person perspective to a 3rd person perspective following Adam which were completely unnecessary, didn't contribute to the story, and only helped further fracture any attempt at story flow. Then it felt like the author was saying, "I only told you that first part so that I could tell you this other thing," and started the second half of the book. It felt like an entirely different story, and the significance of the first 50% of the novel could have been summed up in a couple of pages. The plot from the second half of the book lacked any real energy or drama and ended on more of a whimper than a bang. The final conflict was rushed and felt really arbitrary, almost as if Briggs just got tired of writing and said, "Beh. I've got enough words down there." So Briggs draws you in with what looks like is going to be an enticing tail and once she's got you hooked, delivers a ho-hum, mediocre effort in the second half which doesn't justify the price of an initial release. Every good series has that point where it feels that its on its last leg, and I think the Mercy Thompson series has now reached that point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe done this one before, March 17, 2013
Amazon Customer (Kenmore, Qld, AU) - See all my reviews
I love Patricia Briggs and have done for a long time. I also love her Mercy Thompson series and usually there is a different storyline for each book. This time, not so much. Still a good read in true Mercy style. If you are a Briggs fan, you will already have read it. If you aren't a Briggs fan as yet, you really do need to read from the beginning of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars was hoping for more...., March 16, 2013
I love this series. I read the previous novels in a short time period. The last novel was a bit tedious at times and I needed to focus on the big picture but loved the outcome. I was hoping for more from this entry. It was short on plot development, characterization and the final battle was over in a few pages. Sigh. I love Ms. Briggs work. I hope to continue with this series so I am looking forward to the next entry and I have high hopes.

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson)
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson) by Patricia Briggs (Mass Market Paperback - January 28, 2014)
$7.99