1,016 Reviews

Published on March 22, 2012 by Steve Chan

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy new screws before attempting installation
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:59 Mins
Published 22 months ago by WakkyWabbit

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy new screws before attempting installation, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Frostfire 16 Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light (Weatherproof, no batteries required) (Lawn & Patio)
Length:: 1:59 Mins

Packaged well, received on time. All parts present. Build is sturdy. Takes solar charge well. Went to dim first night and motion detection worked on both. Item is received in the 'off' mode and the activation pin must be inserted to activate. When activated, the light will turn on bright for a few seconds then go back off. There is a clear film that covers the solar cells and that must be removed before charging, or so it reads. I removed it.

Installation was frustrating. Two screws for two holes and yes, it was frustrating. Each light has two plastic wall anchors and two screws. The two metal screws are of very, very poor quality. Only two of the four screws survived. They are like cotton candy. They strip even with decent pilot holes. I had to take needle nose wire pliers and remove them. I finally went to the hardware store and bought eye hooks. Its not like screws cost a lot. Why make such a good light and frustrate the customer with screws that basically melt?

During daylight, light is always off. At night, light automatically goes into dim mode and stays on constantly til daylight. When the sensor detects motion, it goes from dim to bright and stays on bright until no more motion is sensed. After no more motion is detected, it turns off after about one minute. There is no way to turn the light on bright and keep it on. Bright is only activated by motion. I have intentionally activated these lights multiple times many nights and neither mode gets any dimmer. The battery seems to hold a very good charge throughout the night.

I have hydrangea bushes almost directly under each light that move quite a bit with the wind. Even with significant wind the movement does not cause the lights to activate. The lights are less than one foot above my doorway and both detect my cat easily and equally.

Both of these lights have endured severe thunderstorms and long lived downpours without any problem.

At three weeks, pleased with both lights. Poor screw quality deserves a one star deduction.
================================

At 29 days, one motion sensor stopped working for two days. Amazon refunded me the price of one light and sent me another. Before I could send the other light back, it started working again. So, I called Amazon and had them charge me for a third light. It would not detect movement but would just go on/off constantly. Even with it going on/off constantly, the brightness never dimmed. It has worked fine for the last two days, sensing appropriately. I have no idea why it did this.

Frostfire posts only one phone number on their website and it does not work. A message states the number is no longer active.

================================

The replacement light, #3, arrived today. I am expecting three more this evening for a total of six. Both screws for #3 disintegrated even with pilot holes and a manual screwdriver. I went to the hardware store and bought a box of eye hooks, some popcorn and some homemade praline candy. My cat finished supervising the installation and I see one of the squirrels sitting on top of the light I just installed. I think he smells popcorn and pralines.

===========================

After purchasing 6 of these lights, two have not worked. Amazon has made returning very easy. Of the ones that work, they work well and give off decent light for the size and price. Even the ones that are positioned in areas without the greatest daytime light, they are as bright as the other lights and seem to hold as charge as well as the others. However, when 1/3 of the lights you have purchased do not work, that is not encouraging.

============== April 4th.
Last night, two more malfunctioned. One would not turn off and one would not turn on. I am getting somewhat frustrated with these lights.

=============April 28th
Even with replacements from Amazon, Half the lights have died. I give up.

==============May 20th
I am down to one light that works. I have moved them around so that I had two at the back door. I just removed the single working light. Solar is no longer an option. I am going with motion activated WIRED lights.

==============July 28th
None of the lights work. It really did not matter if the lights were protected from rain or not. One of the ones placed in the open, full rain, worked the longest. I ordered 6, 4 or the 6 were replaced by Amazon, and all have died. Total of 10 dead lights. I really like the lights when they worked.

I have dropped the star rating to 1.

►Note◄
Their Frostfire Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light gets much better ratings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light that works as advertised and is green (no battery replacements), March 22, 2012
This light is great, does exactly as advertised here. I mounted it using an outdoor double sided tape (3M Scotch 4011 Exterior Mounting Tape, 1 in x 60 in) and it works fine under my sandblasted glass roof. I stay in a tropical country and hence have plenty of sunshine all year long. The all night long light (dim) is very convenient. It lights up (bright) when motion is sensed. It's bright enough to illuminate a doorway especially when you are fumbling for keys at night. I recommend this especially if you want an easy installation minus any drilling of holes in your house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but one died in one week, May 21, 2012
RG (Pearland, TX) - See all my reviews
I was very excited about these lights. Bought four of them and they work as advertised. Quite bright for a solar light. Unfortunately, one quit working after just one week. So now I am apprehensive about the remaining three. I really want them to work. They look good, construction seems solid, motion sensor works well, and again, very bright for a solar light. Great for driveways. I am returning the dead one. Let's see how it goes. I am tempted to buy the replacement, but I am skittish. Let's see how the return goes and performance of the remaining three and make a decision at that point. I'll update the review accordingly.

Update 5/21/13: I did get a replacement for the dead one. After one year, all four working fine. Really great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lighting system..., April 3, 2012
Length:: 0:04 Mins

Susan, the person who's product it is, offers FANTASTIC Customer Service. After my initial problem with the missing instructions, Susan contacted me and offered to replace or refund the lights. I asked for a replacement and also for a set of instructions. I received my replacement lights with short but sufficient instructions and found out that in order to turn the lights on and make them active, you have to use the small loop pin supplied and insert it in a tiny pin hole to 'switch' the light on. I was pushing on the motion sensor that looks like a push button instead.
So now my lights work extremely well. They are bright (LED bright) which is different than an incandescent bulb but they create sufficient clarity at night to see where you're going. I love them now, but most of all I love Susan who showed exemplary customer service and communication during the whole process.
Thanks Susan!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Transformed Skeptic, March 11, 2012
To begin with...I was searching for a motion sensitive, solar powered, outdoor night light that wasn't obvious when installed, wasn't costly, and worked. Found that very product here, on Amazon: Frostfire 16 Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light.

Bought it, but was shocked by the expected arrival date...almost a month after purchase. Complained to the seller. Complained to the seller. Complained to seller.
Seller responded to my complaints. 10 days, max for shipping.

Ten days later, my package from unknown origins (UK?) arrived in my mailbox. Small
package Simple directions. Easy install....and....

WORKS GREAT! Directions state that the light reacts to motion within 6 feet. We got
8 feet or more. Light stays on during night...very dim. With MOTION...immediate brightness! Impressive!

Would I buy this product again? YES!
Does shipping suck? Kind of!
Would I like to know WHO manufactures this product? Uh, yes!

Buy this solar powered LED motion sensitive outdoor light. You'll like it!

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess Weatherproof doesn't mean Waterproof, December 30, 2012
It worked fine for about a week but doesn't like getting hit by rain. Save your money and don't buy this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Great no worry security light!, June 18, 2013
James N. "James N." (Grand Rapids, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have several around the house attached non permanently to the gutter with medium binder clips. They even scare away raccoons.

1.0 out of 5 stars For two days I loved it!, June 4, 2013
It was bright, it worked well to light up my chicken run so I could see when I had to go check on them at night, etc. Easy to mount, worked straight out of the box. Then it went kaput!

Now I have no light, and I had already thrown away the box (didn't need it after I mounted it), and I don't really want to spend $10 return shipping it. Chalk that one up to a lose.

1.0 out of 5 stars FROSTFIRE SOLAR LITGH, December 22, 2012
This product really sucks only lasted 3 weeks , it does not light up anymore. Don't buy it is piece of junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this product., August 20, 2013
Use these light for some extra light on the side of our home. They work as advertised. They have been up for about 3 weeks and two rain storms and are working just fine. I will upload some pictures taken early morning. I will be buying a couple more.