4.0 out of 5 stars This book is definitely worth buying!
Published on February 11, 2000 by Ivonne Wittig

2.0 out of 5 stars One star for the recipes, five stars for the plan!
Published on March 17, 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is definitely worth buying!, February 11, 2000
This review is from: Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month (Paperback)
I have been "budget-cooking" for a while now and have found there is not one "do-it-all" book for saving money, freezer cooking or simple recipes. I use a variety of cookbooks and pick and choose the recipes we enjoy as a family. Everyone's tastes are different, so the bad reviews I have read here about this book surprised me. Yes, there are a couple of recipes here I probably won't try, but as an experienced frugal cook I found many great hints that saved me time and money, enough so the book went from my library list to one I purchased last month. We enjoy many of the recipes, they are simple to make(I even prepared two weeks worth of meals with my two children underfoot in the kitchen). If you are looking for french cuisine or five star restaurant entrees you won't find them here, but if you need some simple dishes to prepare ahead to save time and money (especially on those hectic soccer game or scout meeting days) this book is a very helpful tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great time saver!, November 6, 1998
By A Customer
For those of you who are overwhelmed with trying to plan, shop, and cook for your families after a busy day, this book is for you. Once a month, or bulk cooking is not a new concept,but what I find refreshing about Frozen Assets is OPTIONS. My mantra has forever been "there's no ONE way to be organized", and this book shares that philosophy. Bulk cooking is just that; cook double batches for a week and have another week's worth of meals for your freezer. Cook once a month and have 30 days' worth of meals in your freezer. Try it out, a little at a time, and if you like the concept, tweak it for your lifestyle.
Deborah walks you through step by step, from planning to shopping to cooking to storing. I'm always looking at the way books are organized for quick reference, and this one delivers. The table of contents provides a quick look at recipes, which are cross-referenced for ease of use. Frugal tips for shopping and budgeting are included as well.
I highly recommend Deborah's book, and urge you to pick up a copy of your own.

2.0 out of 5 stars One star for the recipes, five stars for the plan!, March 17, 2001
By A Customer
I would give this book 2-1/2 stars, averaging the great information on once-a-month cooking (5 stars) with the recipes (1 star). The strong positives about the book are the highly organized plan for OAMC cooking (which is all available on the OAMC Website) and useful tips for grocery savings. Also, the author has a wonderful, warm friendly tone. Strong negatives include the fact that there is not one recipe (except for a cookie recipe) that I would eat or serve to my family. To my taste (and I'm not picky, but I realize taste is subjective!) the recipes are bland, and each one has some odd ingredient (canned olives in everything, rice crusts for quiches, etc.). I love casseroles and one-meal dishes, and was very disappointed to find not one usable recipe. Another strong negative is that the material was s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d to fill the book--i.e, one recipe per page, and repeating the recipes in different sections. I see that some reviewers love the recipes and some hate them---my very strong advice would be to check out the recipes before you invest in this book. (As an aside, I loved Debi's book "A Simple Plan" and would highly recommend it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Add Extra Time to Your Week, January 18, 2000
The many practical, step-by-step tips for saving money when choosing and buying food make Frozen Assets a worthwhile book, but it is the author's large-quantity recipes and instructions for freezing them that make her book truly valuable.
Although most recipes are not written for the health-conscious, as they contain many items high in fat and cholesterol, the author does include general advice on reducing fat and increasing nutrition in recipes. Most of the recipes in the book are child friendly, and can easily be adapted to a low-fat menu. The book includes sample shopping lists as well as lists of cooking tools that are useful in cooking large quanties of food.
Although I had already invested in a box-type freezer before I purchased this book, the author explains how she has applied her "Cook Big But Not Often" philosophy even to small refridgerator-top freezers. Since I began applying the lessons of the book, I have frozen a wide variety of dinners, including soups, chile, and casseroles. All of the recipes were easy, inexpensive, and tasty, and all made several meals that I froze for future use. But the nicest part-- thanks Ms. Taylor-Hugh-- is that I've only been turning on my stove about once every 3 weeks, and I'm working on reducing that figure. I'm expecting my second child in 6 weeks, and it feels great to know that I'll be prepared with good, homemade meals for those hectic first few weeks with a newborn.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Hated the Frozen Meals Method Until I Read This Book!, May 18, 1999
By A Customer
I've read and used several cookbooks and dozens of recipes for the Once-a-month cooking method and found all of them to be a waste of my time and money until I reviewed and tested Frozen Assets by Deborah Taylor-Hough. There are several important tricks to using this method. This book is the only one I've read on the subject which emphasizes the importance of calibrating your freezer to the right temperatures, as well as the importance of cooling, freezing and thawing the food properly in order to guarantee that your ingredients retain the texture and taste desired. I pride myself on being an excellent cook, but must admit that I failed miserably at the Once-a-month cooking method until I took the time to learn and apply Debi's common sense, but often over-looked techniques. I am a person who has a passion for really fresh food, but as a working mother I don't always have time to prepare all of our meals from scratch. Having simple dishes, such as Debi's Black Beans and Rice, on hand in the freezer, gives me the luxury of having the most time consuming part of the meal finished. I can add fresh salad or steamed vegetables for a quick, well balanced, fresh meal without having to settle for the compromise of instant rice or canned beans. While freezer meals aren't my first choice for dinner, having a few meals each month in our freezer saves me valuable time I don't always have. I have found her recipes to be simple, basic, economical, nutritious, and delicious. Good job, Debi! Food critics, like me, can be a pretty tough crowd to sell frozen foods to, but your common sense, economical approach to this method gave me a reason to try it again. I'm glad I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real asset to your kitchen, May 22, 1999
Cooking for the freezer is one of the more valuable techniques I use to save time in the kitchen. This popular method has many fans, so why is it so hard to find a good freezer cookbook?
This void is now filled by the recent publication of Frozen Assets, cleverly subtitled, How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month. The author, Debi Taylor-Hough, originally promoted her Once A Month Cooking ideas on the Internet and found such a wide and eager audience, she knew the technique would make a wonderful book. And it does! Although the book focuses on mass cooking in large quantities for the freezer, the techniques, tips and recipes are applicable to anyone wanting to cook in advance.
A cookbook is typically a collection of recipes. Frozen Assets is so much more than that. It is a very comprehensive guide to bulk freezer cooking, covering everything you need to know in great detail, from planning and grocery shopping to cooking, freezing and serving. Throughout the book, Debi shares great tips that you usually learn only through experience.
The most valuable chapters in the book are the complete meal plans. Each plan includes a menu list, a shopping list, step-by-step instructions and the recipes. There is a 30 day plan, a two week plan (a good way to get your feet wet) and a 10 day holiday plan. This latter plan takes you through the busiest time of the year with ease, a wonderful idea.
In addition to the menu plans you will find other freezer recipes organized into main dish, breakfast, lunch, and dessert categories. Other bonuses include recipes for mixes, a chapter containing 100 money-saving tips, an appendix on cooking for one, and lots more.
If you're a wanna-be Once-A-Month cook, a seasoned pro, or just looking for some new dishes with which to stock your freezer, you'll find Frozen Assets to be a real asset in your kitchen.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad-cafeteria-style recipes - many do not work as stated, May 14, 1999
I hestitated to write a negative review of Frozen Assets as the author seems to be such a nice person. But tonight, as we throw away yet another meal, meant to feed 4 or 5 people (chili), I felt that I should warn others about this book.
The menu planning is very well-written and thought-out. The recipes, however, for the most part, are bad. I know the problem is not with my cooking skills, because when I make meals from other recipes, they almost always turn out fine.
For instance, I cooked the beans for the chili as directed in the recipe. They are still too hard to eat after being frozen, thawed, and re-cooked. My family, consequently, just left to eat at Wendy's. The lasagna recipe (and I have made perfectly good lasagna many times) was runny and a mush of ingredients. The Spaghetti Pie was likewise terrible. The Chicken Cacciatore was inedible. The Multi-Purpose Baking Mix did not keep in the refrigerator as stated ( it calls for vegetable shortening or margarine), and smelled like paint. The only recipes that were okay were the baked ziti and the taco mix.
Our family eats a lot of meals using chicken breasts. There are no recipes in the book using chicken breasts. I have found recipes on the 'net for freezable chicken breast meals which I will try, but there were none at all in this book.
The author boasts of being able to save so much money with these monthly meal plans. We wasted easily $100 in ingredients, to say nothing of a lot of my time plus the cost of this book.
If your family is used to eating bland, watery, bad-cafeteria food then these recipes might be familiar to you. If you want to eat healthy, less greasy, and palatable foods then you might want to do what I plan to do - throw the book in the recycling bin.
Sorry, Debi, but tonight was the last straw for ruined meals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful even for me, a vegetarian., July 9, 1999
By A Customer
I am glad I ordered this book. It has changed the way I feed my family. We have more time together. We save money every month. I use the book's instructions with my own recipes since we are vegetarians. I developed my own menu plans. The instructions for making meal plans led me through everything I needed to know. According to the book the recipes are mainly just examples of things that freeze well. It helped me to see what sorts of things I could consider putting in the freezer. Frozen Assets teaches readers how to apply this method to their own ways of cooking and eating. It has sure worked for me. I have spent nearly 50 percent less on my food bills after trying these ideas. And we are still eating all our favorite foods. We just have more time to enjoy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month, January 6, 2000
By A Customer
This is a great book! Ignore any bad reviews you read about this title- I know I'm glad I did! I have tried several meals from this and they really work! They taste great (my family had no idea they were from the freezer)plus she helps you learn how to adjust and use your own recipes for your freezer. This is the 3rd book I have bought on this subject and this is the only one that has truly worked for me. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, December 30, 1999
By A Customer
I asked for this book for Christmas along with some more Corningware dishes. I had visited the authors website and was disappointed to find alot of the same information in the book BUT there was alot of additional info that helped me out.
I am definitely not the world's greatest cook and I need things explained to me simply! The book definitely did that. The book also has alot of recipes that can be frozen in freezer bags which is great. When I read this suggestion on her website, I didn't understand how easy it was (like I said, I'm not a natural in the kitchen!).
I would definitely recommend this book. In fact, my sister-in-law asked for it for her birthday. I've been on the internet comparing prices!

Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month
Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month by Deborah Taylor-Hough (Paperback - January 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01