Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Frozen Little Golden Book (Disney Frozen)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 21, 2014
I purchased this book because my four year daughter is a huge fan of the movie and to put it mildly is going through a "Frozen" phase. I thought I'd surprise her with it and it's been worth ten times the amount that I paid for it. The only trouble is that she wants me to read it to her all the time. Or she takes it to preschool with her and wants her teachers to read it to her there. She will probably outgrow this phase soon, but for the pleasure it has given her so far it has given me a real bang for my buck!

It's a fairly simplified breakdown of the plot of the animated film, with illustrations from the movie. Certain parts of the story are emphasized by writing words, phrases or full sentences all in capital bold letters. For example, when Anna tries to convince her sister to marry a prince she has only just met, it says:" Frustrated, Anna tried to stop her sister and accidentally PULLED OFF one glove." PULLED OFF for some reason is in bold caps while the accompanying illustration has Anna dangling the glove in the air. Every page or two have different examples of this. "Elsa had magical powers" and the "magical powers" will be the only part written in bold text but it doesn't detract from the story. Still, the format and style are slightly unusual for a Little Golden book but like many other picture books, sometimes the text on the page will get bigger, or sometimes it will purposefully get smaller to compliment illustrations. It enthralls my little girl again and again and it also would be easy for a beginning reader to decipher.

I loved Little Golden Books as a child, and have passed many of them down to my daughter. They are all still in surprisingly good condition after 40 some years. The plots are uncomplicated, yet woven together seamlessly, and always end on a positive high note. The books seem to last forever and fit nicely together on book shelves, but most importantly they recount so many beloved stories from generation to generation, and instill a lifetime of memories and I'm so glad that they still are making them. For years they have provided affordable options for most parents, when so many children's books are pricey. I understand there is a larger Disney version of this book that is also available with more detailed illustrations and longer in length, but this is a much cheaper yet still highly satisfying alternative. It travels well and we can bring it on buses, subways or short road trips. If nobody has time to read it to her, she entertains herself with the pictures and pretends to read it to herself. It makes for a fun (and quick) bedtime story, and yesterday when I dropped my daughter off at preschool she was carrying it with her in her mittened hands, and one of her little friends had her own copy of it and waved it at us. "See Annabel? I got my mom to get me a "Frozen" book too!" It's so endearing to see how happy such a little thing can make a child. They get so excited to have something like this to share with each other. So, be sure to write your child's name in the section where it says "This Little Golden Book belongs to:" because when I picked her up from school later that day, the only way we could figure out whose book was whose was the fact that even though it's less than a month old, the pages of our copy are already dog eared.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2014
My daughter is 7 years old, in year 2, and the amount of text and degree of difficulty is perfect for her age. She still has not seen the movie, so was very interested in learning the story from the book. This has taught me a lesson to foster reading: If the book is available, get it before watching the movie or the DVD!
on November 30, 2013
I don't know how you condense an hour and 40 min. movie into a Little Golden Book but it was done very well. My daughters saw the movie and loved it so much that I picked this up for them. It is written very well. Of course some of the details had to be left out but I've read this at least twice a day since it came in.
on November 13, 2014
I dress up as Elsa for events and parties, also working on Anna. So I wanted a copy of the story to read and help along with sing-a-longs. THIS BOOK IS PREFCT!! It's having the best parts of the story, you can play each song and the kids don't lose interest in it. The art is amazing! I spent an hour just looking at the photos. I am planning on buying each princess books as I get the their costume done.
review image
on August 6, 2014
There's actually quite a lot of text in this little book. If you are suffering from "Frozen fatigue", and are looking for a quick, little, SHORT book to satisfy your kiddo for the night, go with "A Tale of Two Sisters". The illustrations are excellent, it goes through the entire Frozen story but the text is very short so things move along quickly. And it's a "reader" so when your child is old enough, he or she can practice their reading skills and then be able to read it to their younger sibling. Yes!!
on March 4, 2014
Another item purchased along with the Frozen Sisters Giftset made my granddaughter's day. After her mom read it one time, she now wants to read it to everyone who comes over. These Golden Books have always been a classic as I still have some of my childhood books. This is the rage with kids and will keep them busy for hours. Great seller who shipped out befor than what was expected - a great gift :)
on February 7, 2015
Everybody I know loves Frozen and this little golden book was a very good way to introduce the story before we went to the movies with young children. I grew up with golden books and always loved them and hope to pass that on to my little ones. It is a good story with nice pictures and holds the little one's attention for the entire book. That is always a plus.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 26, 2015
Having been "front and center" in the movie theatre with my older son for "The Little Mermaid", and with my younger son for "Pocahontas", I've always appreciated when a Disney film has strong female characters who can begin to show young men that the "fairer sex" is not only a force to be reckoned with, but that they're also fun, strong, brave, etc. And I think what I really appreciate most about both the 2013 movie "Frozen" as well as this Little Golden Book that attempts (quite well, I think) to capture its magic, is that it shows that "true love" is not only a concept that exists between romanticized couples, but also between family members (in this case, sisters Elsa and Anna.)

When my husband and I started a collection of Little Golden Books based on all of the Disney animated movies for our oldest grandson, we knew we'd keep adding to it for any who might happen to come behind him... we've already welcomed two more grandsons since then, and "Frozen" was one of a couple of new additions to the collection this past Christmas. Anyone who's seen the film is already familiar with the Kingdom of Arendelle, the two princess sisters, Olaf the Snowman, dastardly Prince Hans, mountain man Kristoff, and the trolls who advise, "Only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart." Having babysat my grandsons since birth, these little 24 page books HAVE truly been "golden" when it comes to condensing full length films down into manageable "bites", which hold a youngster's attention with the terrific illustrations while maintaining the perfect length for a "naptime story" or a little entertainment during lunchtime.

The back cover of the newer Little Golden Books now reads, "There are more than 200 timeless Little Golden Books to share." Our collection as of now consists of 39, all based on Disney films, but since the first dozen were published (25 cents a piece!) back in 1942, the simple words combined with eye-catching illustrations made them destined to become a classic teaching tool for youngsters eager to begin reading on their own. They've certainly been a "must have" addition to my efforts toward giving them a head start on learning!
on March 22, 2014
My granddaughter wanted the movie DVD. Of this fun Disney film and we surprised her with the book too. She's a fairly new reader and was thrilled to get the book too. The illustrations are pure Disney and she can read most of it for herself also. For the price, this was definitely a winner!!
on November 25, 2014
My daughter love's the movie Frozen and all of the characters, she was even Princess Else for Halloween. It's hard to find book's to hold her interest and I let her pick a couple out now for her review..

She liked the layout of the story, as it was similar to the movie with beautiful color. What either of us didn't like about the book that they could have done a better job, was to either make the print larger or as in some book's you can enlarge the picture to read, which in this case you could do neither.

I would recommend this book, but bring your magnifying glass.