Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on February 17, 2014
This book is a mixed bag of emotions for me, but I gave it four stars because the music is excellent and I know that I will get use out of the book. Features 11 songs from the movie (listed in other reviews).

Pros:
-The book itself is beautiful, including several pages of artwork from the movie.
-The music is represented fairly well, sounding a lot like it does in the movie and on the soundtrack.
-There are some tricky parts, but overall I would say the music is very playable for advanced and intermediate pianists. (I've been playing for 18 years.)
-Songs are represented as they are on the soundtrack with full musical interludes.
-Most of the vocal harmonies are written out, with the exception of some of the more challenging parts of "Fixer Upper," but those harmonies are most likely what is given in the piano part.

Cons:
-Melody is doubled in the piano part. This is a BIG negative for me because I do a lot of singing and performing, so I prefer to have the piano accompaniment. This also makes some of the songs harder to play than they should be because you are trying to catch rhythms from the vocal line instead of focusing on (usually) more simplistic/repetitive phrases in the accompaniment.
-This is super nit-picky, but there is a "D.S. al Coda" in "Let It Go." I realize that these are used to save ink/pages in printing, but to me this makes the song harder to play because you're dealing with extra page turns back and forth, trying to find where you are in the music, instead of simply being able to move forward. This also uniforms how all of the choruses sound in the song, whereas in the movie the first chorus is more delicate and it becomes more powerful each time you come back to the repeated phrase. I am really picking on this because this was the song I most looked forward to playing, and it wasn't what I was hoping for.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my purchase, but there are things I'm left wanting. If you're looking to use this book for piano solos or to accompany younger children it is the perfect product for you. Even if you are a more mature performer that prefers the piano accompaniment (like me), this is a cheaper solution that buying each song individually on a site like MusicNotes, and if you have an experienced pianist, they will be able to fill out the accompaniment by using the chords given for the guitar.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2014
The music is great, of course, but I was disappointed in how the four chorus pieces were presented. Most pieces are notated with only a single vocal line, and all of the vocal parts are notated in the treble clef.

Frozen Heart: This piece is for male chorus, but it's written in the treble clef, and with only a single solo line through most of the piece. There's only one phrase where multiple voices are shown, and the harmony that I hear on the recording is nowhere to be found.

Do You Want to Build a Snowman: Very good.

For the First Time in Forever: I would have preferred that the section where Anna & Elsa are singing together be notated as separate staffs, rather than shoving them onto the same staff, but oh well.

Life is an Open Door: Hans is notated in the treble clef, but at least it's separate staffs for the two parts.

Let It Go: There's a D.S. al Coda that makes the page turns awkward, it only saved one page of printing in a nine page piece. Other than that, good.

Reindeers Are Better Than People: Again, it's for a male voice, so bass clef would be more appropriate here.

In Summer: This one is more for tenor than bass, so at least the treble clef is somewhat appropriate. (They still should have put the "8" underneath it to make it tenor clef.)

For the First Time in Forever (Reprise) Very good. Anna & Elsa have separate staffs this time.

Fixer Upper: Harmony is almost completely missing from this chorus piece. There's two notes listed where it's two soloists together, but where it's a group, there's only one note listed. At the end, where the chorus of trolls are repeating "true love" over and over, there's only one line shown.

Vuelie: This one, at least, has the vocal harmonies preserved. It's not presented as SSAA (it's notated for piano, with a single treble & bass clef), but all of the notes are there, and it matches what I hear in the recording. However, there's no words at all.

Heimr Arnadelr: I was especially disappointed that this one didn't have harmony shown. Instead, it's notated as a single solo line, over accompaniment, and it's not an accompaniment that easily lends itself to being transformed into a cappella mixed chorus, like the original is. It does have the original (Norse?) text shown, plus an English pronunciation and English translation.
on January 29, 2014
Songs are about intermediate level. As usual with Disney PVG the notation is easy to read and the book is filled with full color illustrations. I wish the Demi Lovato version of Let it Go was also included in this book, but the inclusion of Vuelie and Heimr Arnadalr are a nice substitute.

Do You Want To Build A Snowman?
Fixer Upper
For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)
For The First Time In Forever
Frozen Heart
Heimr Arnadalr
In Summer
Let It Go
Love Is An Open Door
Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
Vuelie
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2014
Songbook is great, but text is a bit small on iPad and impossibly so on a phone. Buy it in paper instead. Further, the modulations in the songs cause insane key changes for guitar players. I wish I could make notes as to the capo positions and transposed chords. Oh well. I can get by enough to thrill the wee ones at home with live versions of these songs.
on March 26, 2014
This book would be great for the professional accompanist, but not so much for the average piano student. The music is very challenging, and written in hard keys. If it's for a beginning or intermediate student, I recommend going with one of the other versions of this book. (The "big note" one is perfect for my students.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2014
I expected it to be the accompaniment but it was just a simplified version on the songs. It's ok, but I wanted it with the accompaniment version
on April 10, 2014
The Frozen soundtrack features a number of songs arranged in a very theatrical fashion - multiple voices, counterpoint, etc. The book transcribes them very accurately, which is great is you plan to sing these songs with multiple singers - but the songs are not easy to translate to a solo performance - not without some rearranging on the fly. They're less like the pop songs of The Lion King and more like a Broadway musical, and for that, you need to be a semi-advanced performer to really make them work on piano, or as a solo singer. But the book does a good job in providing you with transcriptions from the album soundtrack.
on September 15, 2014
Don't expect a faithful transcription of what was actually recorded. These piano books on popular music are typically a joke. They should provide the original comping parts for anything that included a piano. I'm ok with adaptions of other instruments but can they be at least faithful to the original sound? The 'Let it go' interpretation leaves a lot to be desired. Use your ears and save some cash. I bought this for my daughter to play but I should have transcribed it myself.
on February 20, 2014
Ok so I was very exited for this, and yes the book is great! But it's not full accompaniment, "Let it Go" for instance the right hand is mostly the melody that is being sung instead of what music is played in the movie behind the singing. This isn't a bad thing but I happen to love the actual music so it's a bit disappointing. I also thought it would be cool if "Vuelie" had the vocals but it's ok that it doesn't. Overall I'm happy though, enjoy!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2014
It is a great price and the music is awesome. I would say it is intermediate level. With books like this, sometimes the music is too simple, but not this one. It is easy enough to sight read but difficult enough to sound just like the music in the movie. If you have a little one that loves the princesses, definitely get this.