Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > The Help forum

Frozen Screen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2009 5:26:56 PM PDT
The top half inch of my screen is frozen and doesn't change as I change pages. I've tried reset with no results. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 5:23:07 AM PDT
Katt978 says:
I have had the entire screen freeze up but not half. I was able to "fix" the problem by plugging my kindle into the power cord from the wall. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 6:59:06 AM PST
I haven't seen what you describe but I too have had the whole screen feeze up. I have a K1 and I fix it by taking the back off and using a safety pin, push the reset button. That's from Steven Windwalker's book and it's always worked. Try plugging it in like Nurse Katt suggested, but if that doesn't do it, you'll probably have to try resetting. Good luck!

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 3:25:36 PM PST
I need help please! my kindle is freaking out because at the top half is just lines and is white and at the bottom is where my things is so basically half my screen is lines the bottom half is where the "top" starts and if i have to reset it manually i dont know how to take off the back

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 8:22:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 19, 2010 8:23:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 8:23:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2010 8:26:20 AM PDT
Carol Kean says:
I just tried that. Didn't work. Do I have to leave it plugged into the wall for a long time, or something? Then I tried plugging it into the computer, as I meant to download something. Screen is still frozen. Next, see if I can take the back off and reset with a safety pin. How do I take the back off?? Must. Find. Instruction. Manual. Bet it won't tell me...

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 11:37:59 AM PDT
Go to "help" section at Amazon. Sign in and there is an area where they will call you if you enter your phone number. Tell whoever calls that you need Kindle support. They will transfer you to the right person and I've found that they will stay on the line with you as long as it takes to resolve the problem.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I'm tracking this discussion, so if you write a comment, I'll get it.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 12:47:04 PM PST
I recently had screen issues with my Kindle. It looked like it ran out of batteries but when charged it until it turned green it still had the screen issues. The top right corner of the screen looked to be frozen and had grey lines and the rest of the screen was shadowy and bleeding onto to each other. After following different forums to hard reset it- toggle the on and off button for 15 seconds to restart there seemed to still be an issue. Since I have the Kindle 2nd Generation I cannot take the battery in the back out and press the rest button. I had a very pleasant experience with calling Customer Service within the US. A live person answered my call within 1 minute as said and immediately said they will send me a replacement Kindle tomorrow with one day shipping. I have to return my defective Kindle within 30 days or else I'll be charged for the replacement. I was so scared they weren't going to do this for me because I have had my Kindle for over a year but they said that they do the warranty for 1 year and 90 days! After that time period I may have to send it again and get it fixed for the $89. Once I get my refurbished Kindle and it works well then I'll be esctatic!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 9:23:55 PM PDT
I am about to receive my 6th Kindle. One had a problem with the switch, 3 had frozen screens and one couldn't connect to wi-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011 1:46:53 PM PDT
Jori says:
Call the help line and they should beable to help you out. My screen was frozen for days and they told me how to fix it.

Posted on May 3, 2011 2:01:46 PM PDT
Mrs K says:
I have had the same problem as this on 2 kindles now. Got one for xmas and after a couple of months started getting lines across the screen and then within a week the whole screen had frozen with different sections of the different screensavers that come up.
I used the call me service in the contact us section of the website which was great. After being talked through resetting by holding the power button which made no difference, i was told that it would need replacing. the very helpful guy on the phone got a replacement out to me, which arrived within 24 hours, and the returning of the broken kindle was easy as they collected from my work and didnt cost me anything.
Well i just turned on my second kindle having not used it for a couple of weeks, and the same thing has happened again, only completely frozen in different sections, some showing random screensavers, some showing text etc. I have tried holding the rest button for ages and no difference.
just called cutomer services again and was again told will need replacing and that a replacement will be with me tomorrow.
When i queried whether this was a common fault, as i have had it on 2 now, the guy didnt give a straight answer and said that if it happends again they will just send me another one! Has this happened to anybody else?
Even though i have now had 2 faulty kindles in less than 5 months, as the customer service is so good i am not at all frustrated, which is unlike me i can assure you!

Posted on May 4, 2011 6:05:56 PM PDT
G. Feiste says:
Hold your on switch on until the light flashes green and release. . . about 15 sec for a soft reset. If this doesn't work repeat and hold for 30 - 45 sec for light to flash and release. I have had to do this recently and it worked great. Actually found this on the web.

Posted on May 23, 2011 8:49:05 AM PDT
J. Guadiana says:
I just had the same thing happen to me. Screen half froze and no rebooting helped. I called customer service and they are sending me a new kindle. Suppose to be here by wednesday. Wow, Im impressed with the customer service. Only had kindle 4 months, thankfully it was still under warranty. :)

Posted on May 23, 2011 9:16:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 9:26:09 AM PDT
Guinness says:
The entire screen of my kindle was frozen. I took the advice of others and held the on/off switch for about 15 seconds. The screen went white. After about 5 minutes it was still white. I held the on/off switch until the screen blinked from white to black a couple of times and then the kindle came back to life.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 7:58:52 PM PDT
SDusty says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 1:33:47 PM PDT
Had the same problem as many others...half the screen frozen and then vertical and horizontal lines over most of the screen. I tried to reset and contacted Kindle customer support. No luck. I need a new Kindle which I am eagerly awaiting any minute now. As someone else said, the customer service is so good that I'm not even that aggravated that this happened. They are getting my new kindle to me within 48 hours of talking to them on the phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 7:00:34 AM PDT
I have had three different Kindles do the very same thing! The first one after about a week. The second within 20 minutes of opening it. The third after 10 days. I see that this post is almost a year old. The answer is to report the problem to Kindle Support ASAP! That way, if it happens within the first thirty days, Amazon will ship you a new Kindle free of charge. Hope you got your problem solved last year.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 3:23:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2011 8:44:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 11:04:33 AM PDT
I went through seven Kindle 2's before I returned the last for credit and bought the new one. I have had two Kindle 3's end up with frozen screens within 2 weeks or less of getting them. I wonder just how extensive this problem actually is. Customer Service has been terrific about the whole mess.
My problem is the fact that I have almost seven hundred novels and novellas on my Kindle, and now I can't afford to be without one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 8:31:56 PM PDT
M. Pope says:
YOU ARE MY HERO!

i've been looking through different websites trying to figure out what to do if the screen goes white after a reset and doesn't come on again. You are the first one i found that told me what do to after that :)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 10:38:44 PM PDT
Nicole says:
If your Kindle freezes, rebooting it may fix your issue. (Think of when your computer freezes on you and you turn the power off or shut down.)

While it may be a sign your Kindle is defective (you need to contact Amazon Support for that), it can also happen when you're using the "experimental" web browser or other games/active content you've ordered - I've found this is when it happens to me (especially games like Monopoly and Scrabble).

Instructions and other help on solving Kindle problems can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200510540

To manually restart the Kindle, hold the power slide to the right for a count of 15 seconds and then release it. The screen may/will blink but within a few seconds, the Kindle reboot screen will appear. It takes a few minutes for the Kindle to finish rebooting.

If you can still access the "Settings" menu, you can restart from there as well.
From the "Home" page, push the "Menu" button. Select "Settings". Once on the "Settings" page, push the "Menu" button again. Choose "Restart".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 5:44:14 PM PDT
M. Koren says:
I am on my third kindle. My first 2 also had problems with the screen freezing up. No questions asked, replaced within 3 days! But if this one goes I WILL NOT get another one. Definetly not worth paying for again or dealing with all that goes with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 2:23:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 2:34:27 PM PDT
KrazyKat314 says:
I did this-holding the switch until the green light blinks. I was so happy when something started to happen until the entire screen when totally blank. It's like the white screen of death, Now what?

Ok, I went back and tried again a few minutes later:I did not let go when the light blinked. I kept holding it until the screen itself started blinking on and off. The I let go of the switch. It booted back up and everything is as it should be. I had no idea I was going to hyperventilate when my Kindle wouldn't function. I guess I am more attached to it than I thought!

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 12:58:48 PM PDT
my screen was also 2/3rds Ralph Ellison, but the bottom half of the screen was functional. I reset it and it stayed the same. I called customer service and she had me reset it again then transferred me to another representative. they were so nice and helpful! they said they'd send me a new kindle and all of my books and such would be transferred to the new device for me! they said it would be here by July 12th, but I explained to them that I'd be going on vacation and wouldn't be home to receive it, and they said they'd send me a new one TOMORROW! I'm very happy with the customer service and can't wait for my new kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 9:34:48 AM PDT
Louis Sommer says:
how do you remove the back
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Help forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars (9,473)