5.0 out of 5 stars mostly fruit, almost, almost, healthy
Delicious. At least it looks healthy. 420 cal per 4oz serving, but you don't really need 4oz. And 13g fat. Keeps well in refrigerator - we have just finished some from a year ago. I heartily recommend it. I am from England many years ago, and never had fruit cake as good as this.
Published on January 1, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed
Published on December 14, 2011 by --

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Fruit Cake Boxed 3 - 1 lb Dark Recipe Claxton Fruitcake (Grocery)
Claxton Dark Fruitcake has been a holiday tradition in our family since the mid 1950's. I ordered it directly from the company this year and when I served it at Thanksgiving, my guests and I thought I must have been fooled by a counterfeit website just claiming to sell Claxton fruitcakes. It was at best 40% fruits and nuts and consisted of a gummy light colored "cake". I emailed the company and expressed my disappointment. After several emails back and forth and after today talking to one of the owners, they assured me that it was the original dark recipe.

In reading the ingredients, I noticed that corn syrup, sugar and high fructose corn syrup were listed after flour which was the 4th ingredient. At the very end were listed molasses, spices and 3 artificial food dyes. High fructose corn syrup wasn't widely available until the mid 1970's to mid 1980's, so I'm not sure how it was one of the original ingredients.

All of the people I talked to seemed to have the attitude that I was so stupid that I couldn't possibly be observing what I had correctly. Although they offered to send replacements if I returned it at my own expense, they told me that what I would receive would be identical to what I have. One of the owners informed me that they had received zero complaints this year.

I am grieving the loss of an almost 55 year tradition, but the other 4 cakes are now in the trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars mostly fruit, almost, almost, healthy, January 1, 2011
Amazon Customer (waco, TX United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars claxton fruit cake, December 23, 2012
I eat Claxton fruitcake every year around the holidays. there's a lot of people out there who don't like fruitcake, but I love it ! just as long as it is made well with tons of fruit and nuts !

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the dark fruitcake, January 14, 2012
Ken Barry (Oceanside, California United States) - See all my reviews
Except for the fruitcake I make myself, this is the best I have ever tasted. A little sweet for my taste, but otherwise outstanding. I have ordered these a couple of times online, and they always arrive in perfect condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like It, April 4, 2014
MacGeezer (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
when I was a kid Christmas and other holidays meant Fruit Cake and Mincement Pies; I still like both and the Claxton fruit cake is enjoyable at any time of the year as well as reasonably priced

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fruit cake, June 26, 2014
I got this for my father for Father's Day and he loved it. Fast delivery and a great price. Will be ordering more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fruit cake, March 9, 2014
The Claxton Fruit cake is the best. It was just as described and very fast delivery. Will probably order again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The person enjoyed her fruitcake, July 13, 2014
sent as a gift. The person enjoyed her fruitcake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Fruit cake, January 21, 2014
The fruit cake was a little dry and didn't have all the fruit I was used to in the light fruit cake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but this cake is a bit too sweet for me, December 10, 2013
A wonderful treat, especially with a good ice wine.

Tried this recipe and some others. Haven't found the one yet. The problem is me. like nice treat but not the colories come with them. Guess i am not alone!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›