Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on December 14, 2011
Claxton Dark Fruitcake has been a holiday tradition in our family since the mid 1950's. I ordered it directly from the company this year and when I served it at Thanksgiving, my guests and I thought I must have been fooled by a counterfeit website just claiming to sell Claxton fruitcakes. It was at best 40% fruits and nuts and consisted of a gummy light colored "cake". I emailed the company and expressed my disappointment. After several emails back and forth and after today talking to one of the owners, they assured me that it was the original dark recipe.

In reading the ingredients, I noticed that corn syrup, sugar and high fructose corn syrup were listed after flour which was the 4th ingredient. At the very end were listed molasses, spices and 3 artificial food dyes. High fructose corn syrup wasn't widely available until the mid 1970's to mid 1980's, so I'm not sure how it was one of the original ingredients.

All of the people I talked to seemed to have the attitude that I was so stupid that I couldn't possibly be observing what I had correctly. Although they offered to send replacements if I returned it at my own expense, they told me that what I would receive would be identical to what I have. One of the owners informed me that they had received zero complaints this year.

I am grieving the loss of an almost 55 year tradition, but the other 4 cakes are now in the trash.
11 comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2011
Delicious. At least it looks healthy. 420 cal per 4oz serving, but you don't really need 4oz. And 13g fat. Keeps well in refrigerator - we have just finished some from a year ago. I heartily recommend it. I am from England many years ago, and never had fruit cake as good as this.
on December 23, 2012
I eat Claxton fruitcake every year around the holidays. there's a lot of people out there who don't like fruitcake, but I love it ! just as long as it is made well with tons of fruit and nuts !
on January 14, 2012
Except for the fruitcake I make myself, this is the best I have ever tasted. A little sweet for my taste, but otherwise outstanding. I have ordered these a couple of times online, and they always arrive in perfect condition.
on April 4, 2014
when I was a kid Christmas and other holidays meant Fruit Cake and Mincement Pies; I still like both and the Claxton fruit cake is enjoyable at any time of the year as well as reasonably priced
on October 27, 2014
Claxton Dark Recipe Fruitcake is the BEST EVER!!! I have been enjoying Claxton Fruitcake for over 40 years and discovered the Dark Recipe about 20 years ago and I have loved it ever since and consumed many pounds of it!! I took in a stray cat a couple years ago and she (Swiffer) is a finicky eater, doesn't like fish, but she loves peanut butter and crazy as it sounds, she absolutely loves Claxton Dark Recipe Fruitcake!!! You gotta figure that if a cat prefers Claxton Dark Recipe Fruitcake over a can of Friskie's, it has got to be right up there with the "Nectar Of The Gods"!!! People who say they hate fruitcake must have never had the awesome pleasure of eating Claxton fruitcakes, either regular or dark. I love both flavors but my preference is the Dark Recipe!!!
on March 9, 2014
The Claxton Fruit cake is the best. It was just as described and very fast delivery. Will probably order again.
on January 23, 2016
Perhaps it is loosely based on an old South recipe, but it is not baked according to one. It contains far too many ingredients not available then, and not as good as what they replace. Way too many raisins ... should be called raisin cake. Won't buy again.
on December 12, 2015
Very disappointing. Not the fruitcake of Christmas past. Does not look like any "dark" fruitcake I have ever had. And definitely does not taste it either. If anyone knows where I can get an old fashioned dark fruitcake, please share the info.
on November 30, 2015
I ordered the dark fruitcake and was not disappointed. While it has mostly fruit it does have nuts and is delicious.