Customer Discussions > Freedom: A Novel forum

Frustration with Amazon reviews and morons

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2010 1:19:10 PM PDT
Parola138 says:
I've read many books in my life that either started off awesome, developed well after a rough start, and then failed around the end. It happens a lot with Stephen King. But I don't know that it's a reason not to read a book. People want to know ahead of time, by reading amazon reviews, that a book is going to be fulfilling. There is no more mystery in reading a book. If 20 people on amazon reviews say the ending sucks, then the person will not take the journey of reading the book and determining for themselves. I devoured Freedom when I first bought it. I was enthralled. But he didn't pull it together. If you'd asked me half way through the book, I'd have told you it was great. After finishing it, I'd have told you it was a waste of time. Still, this is a journey you should make yourself. People who want to have a decision made for them read these reviews and don't even make that initial journey.

I feel for the authors.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 4:35:39 AM PDT
B. Thomas says:
I am more put-off by the reviews from unhappy Kindle users and those by reviewers that don't like the authors politics or agenda. But those are pretty easy to spot and disregard.

Maybe it's just me, but many of the books I read and enjoy are much more dependent on being well-written, rather than having a great ending. I will always read books by my favorite authors (Tom Wolfe, Richard Russo, Pat Conroy, to name a few) no matter what the reviews are.

I didn't mind the ending of Freedom. I didn't think it was horrible and it didn't ruin the book for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 9:06:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2010 9:09:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 9:08:00 AM PDT
Lily Popp says:
Thank you. Good to know it's not a "waste of time." I never read a book that was a waste of time. I may have thrown it across the room but never considered it a waste of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 9:35:42 AM PDT
Ernie says:
This book was a BIG waste of time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Freedom: A Novel forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Freedom
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (Hardcover - September 1, 2010)
3.1 out of 5 stars   (1,321)