Fueling the Teen Machine has been on my "to-read" list for months now, and when I finally had some free time in my schedule, I couldn't wait to sit down and check it out!

My thoughts?? I LOVED IT! What a refreshingly down-to-earth approach to making nutrition accessible for busy teens!

It covers diverse topics ranging from MyPyramid,...
Published on January 20, 2011 by K. Carlucci

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for us.
Published 14 months ago by Annie J.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly down-to-earth approach to nutrition for busy teens!, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Fueling the Teen Machine (Paperback)

It covers diverse topics ranging from MyPyramid, carbs/fats/protein, vitamins and minerals, physical activity, sports nutrition, vegetarianism, "funky foods," body image, the list goes on and on! Not to mention the tons of delicious looking recipes found in the back! I've already got my eye on the 3 Cheese Macaroni, Oatmeal Apple Cookies and Angel-Devil Smoothie :)

But perhaps what makes this book so successful is that it isn't talking to parents or teachers, but to the teens themselves! As the transitional time between being a kid and adult, authors Ellen and Colleen speak TO teens not AT them, stressing that YOU are the only one who has the power and control over your health!

Whether it's enhancing teens' abilities on stage, in the kitchen, on the field, or in the classroom, Fueling the Teen Machine has now gone from my "to-read" list to my "MUST-read" list!"--I've recommended it to all my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging, November 22, 2010
I purchased this book as part of my homeschool health curriculum, but I found that I didn't even have to assign chapters out of it. The kids would just pick it up and read it at will. The writing style is engaging for teens, the subject matter relevant, the theme positive. The kids themselves started initiating changes in their food choices after reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Fueling the Teen Machine (Paperback)
Loved the book for adult reading however, I found it to be a bit heavy for a teenager's reading habits.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for us., November 25, 2013
This review is from: Fueling the Teen Machine (Paperback)
After scanning the pages I can say it has a lot of information in it but I doubt any teens would see it as anything more than another text book to wade through. I thought I could gain some knowledge about how to keep my teen eating healthfully but there isn't much in there that we don't already know. I'm sure that someone would gain a lot of good information from reading this book but for me and mine it's not useful.

Fueling the Teen Machine
Fueling the Teen Machine by Ellen L. Shanley (Paperback - October 1, 2010)
$16.95 $12.86