5.0 out of 5 stars The best slide film available. Period.
Published on March 23, 2012 by Ciaran

First of all, this film deserves full 5 stars.
So why am I giving only one star in this review? For buyers to become aware that if they are buying a single roll they will get an open box film canister with unknown expiration day.
I bought this film from Mel Pierce Camera and that's what I got.
When I brought this up to the seller, Jim R, from Mel Pierce...
Published 4 months ago by Serge

5.0 out of 5 stars The best slide film available. Period., March 23, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm 16329161 Velvia Color Slide Film ISO 50, 35mm, 36 Exposures (Green/Blue/White) (Electronics)
With the loss of Kodachrome a few years ago, and Dwayne's ceasing the developing of it in 2010, Fujifilm Velvia 50 now holds the title for "best slide film". Some may say that it held this title before now, but in my opinion Kodachrome was better (think Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl). This film performs particularly well for landscape photography and photo-journalism. The colors it produces, while considered over-saturate by some, are incredibly vivd and full of life!

PROS
- Vivid colors
- Accurate skin tone reproduction for a slide film
- Deals well with gray-scale, something most slide films overlook
- Very fine grain
- Unmatched resolving power
- Standard E6 process

CONS
- A tad pricey (as of this writing 03/12)
- Sometimes over-saturated

If you are at all serious about color-reproduction, this is the film for you. Forget color negative film for landscape/photo-journalism, Velvia blows it out of the water every time. If you are interested in seeing some excellent examples of this film, I would highly suggest checking out Ken Rockwell's gallery shot almost exclusively on this film. His pictures exemplify not only the quality of this film, but the overall quality of analogue photography.

This film is a little pricey, but considering the results I will continue to buy this film until supplies run out or production ceases. I particularly enjoy the standard E6 developing process it follows, as this means it can be (relatively) easily processed in a home darkroom!

HIGHLY recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for the purpose it is intended, August 25, 2008
To expand upon the other review, here is my personal non-scientific experience with this film.

If you are shooting photos outdoors in bright sunlight and your subject is not human, this film is fantastic. It yields very clear beautifully colored slides that are suitable for use with extreme enlargements - in the 30-40 inch range easily, maybe larger. It is also an E-6 process, so while still some what challenging to find, processing the film in major cities is "doable".

I personally find the best aspect of this film is its ability to render amazing greens - so, for example, the grass and trees in my photos look astounding.

So, why only four stars? For me, there are two reasons -

1. You have to know and want to shoot outdoor scenery. If you load this film, you have decided that your next 36 photos are going to be landscape and scenery photos devoid of any closeup human subjects (unless you like pink people).

2. You have to have bright sunlit days to take advantage of this film. If it is overcast, if you are shooting sunrise or sunset, your subject again must be landscape and you need a tripod (lest you like blurry pink people in your photos).

If your subject is stationary, not human, and you have lots of sun, this film is hard to beat because it does deliver beautiful, lush greens, as well as other colors and is still somewhat easy to process.

If you want to use slide film, your scene/subject is people or will have people close up, and if you want accurate skin hue along with your other beautiful colors, Kodachrome 64 beats this film hands down (even though there is really only one place remaining in the world that can process k-14 slide film).

CM

1.0 out of 5 stars Important information that sellers won't tell you: Unknown expiration date, April 16, 2014
First of all, this film deserves full 5 stars.
I bought this film from Mel Pierce Camera and that's what I got.
When I brought this up to the seller, Jim R, from Mel Pierce Camera was kind enough to send me this input:
"This film in individual boxes has been discontinued by Fujifilm. The only way we can ship single rolls is like this. Let me know if you still want to return. Jim R. MPC"
A good practice every seller should follow: There is only one seller (AscotSales) that is honest enough to warn you that his film is expired but was stored refrigerated. And it is up to the buyer to purchase it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Stuff, March 10, 2014
Very beautiful slide film. Best for landscape work in bright to fairly bright light. Great for capturing fall colors and the magic hour. Color is a bit saturated for some people but I enjoy it - in fact they called it Disneychrome when it came out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works sometimes, but not a good 'general shooting' film., August 9, 2008
It seems like these days, those who still DO shoot at least SOME film rave RELENTLESSLY about hypersaturated films like this one. So when I went from shooting all digital to shooting digital and SOME film several months ago, I figured I would give this stuff a try. After all, Velvia is supposedly the film that 'dethroned' Kodachrome. And given the fact that I have ALWAYS been a fan of Kodachrome, it just HAD to be good. Right? Well, not quite. Now don't get me wrong. I like colors as much as the next guy. But not when they just completely butcher a shot. People often complain about rendering of skin tones. But this is NEVER what Velvia was intended for. It is supposed to b a landscape film. However, I have found that it is not the best landscape film, either. I am just not partial to vast expanses of mountain forests (normally a dark grey-green) that look almost kelly green or expanses of golden, grass-covered California hillsides that come out orangish-brown. Of course, in its defense, I have taken some GREAT shots with this film. Sometimes, the hypersaturation just plain-old works. It seems to work well when shooting subjects which are SUPPOSED to be REALLY coloful, like art or flowers. Also, it works well on landscapes that are fairly colorless, but in which a really old, blue sky is desirable. However, I just don't seem to encounter enough situations on a consistent basis where this IS the case to make Velvia a favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, everybody loves it, but it didn't treat me so well, May 31, 2013
I shot it through an EOS3 at box speed, and almost every shot came out under-exposed. I was using it wrong, I took it to a music festival and tried to get people, and neat things in terribly contrasty light, but still, I'd suggest shooting this at ISO 30 or so. 50 is not enough light!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film for landscapes, very poor for subjects, September 24, 2012
Pros:
- Excellent color reproduction. See the image I posted...it just sucks the colors of the late afternoon sun right up.
- Subtle film grain
- Wonderfully sharp.

Cons:
- I found that darks were really underexposed. If the subject you're shooting is really dynamic, the shadows will be too dark; you'll have to push them.

Bottom Line:
This is really great film. The sharpness and color reproduction is amazing. When processed and scanned at a good shop, I found that the sharpness and image quality rivaled my D3100. It's great for landscapes, but in my opinion it really underexposes darks and shadows when put up against really dynamic light. I think this because of the low asa rating; I'm going to try the 100 asa version of this film next and see if there's any improvement. Five stars for a wonderful slide film. It makes my Kodak stuff look like a photo struck with a cheap instagram filter by comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Velvia RVP 50 Color Slide Film, January 8, 2011
I originally purchased this slide film because of all of the favorable reviews on the web. The first time I used it was for shooting outdoor garden scenes and absolutely loved the color rendition! However, the term "color rendition" is a subjective term so I can only recommend that you try it yourself. If you've never used this slide film before you may be pleasantly surprised as I was? The colors are vivid and highly saturated so if that's what your looking for then I think you'll like this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those of us who are "old school" photographers!, January 19, 2011
Anne Lewis (Tualatin, OR United States) - See all my reviews
If you need actual "film" this is a great place to buy it and at a great price! The only criticism I would have would be the packaging. For such a tiny item, it came in a huge box which is a waste of resources. Please find a smaller way to ship your items that is "earth-friendly!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorama is the best!, February 26, 2008
Good film! maybe the best there is for landscape

Adorama is the best! I mean it!

Rate and Discover Movies