5.0 out of 5 stars X-E2 perfect for the analog photo experience enthusiast
This is a really fantastic camera if you're an enthusiast who enjoys adjusting settings, playing with film modes and getting really high quality photos without having to carry a much bulkier camera or pay thousands for a Leica.

Published 12 months ago by J. Strand

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for quality and Fuji US repair service
My x-e2 had a spot on the sensor and the camera was replaced. The replacement camera had a problem with the lens mount. After taking a photo, using the review button, then pressing the shutter, the camera would lose connection with the lens, showing f0. The replacement camera is on its 2nd visit to Fuji repair for the same problem.

Here is what I learned...
Published 8 months ago by Paul Stackhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars X-E2 perfect for the analog photo experience enthusiast, November 14, 2013

If you want a camera you can set on sports/portrait/landscape or "green" and click away. or you think P stands for "Professional mode" this camera is not for you. Yes, you can set aperture, shutter speed and ISO to auto and shoot, and there are a few modes like panorama, toy or miniature mode but to really enjoy the camera you need to be familiar with exposure and how to adjust for it.

I have the X-E1 and takes great shots but it has three shortcomings that matter to me. Focus wasn't fast enough, the electronic viewfinder, though beautiful, would stutter if you moved quickly and you couldn't set a minimum shutter speed. These issues don't bother a lot of people who don't shoot moving objects but they did bother a lot of people and Fuji has addressed all three issues (among others) and focus is now very very fast, the electronic view finder is the same one as in the X-E1 but a better processor means it's smooth as butter and you can now set a minimum shutter speed!

Other improvements include a screen that's just a little bigger but has about twice the pixels and the change of placement of a few buttons for the better. There's also a new lens correction feature called the Lens Modulation Optimizer that I doubt you'll ever notice unless you're a pixel peeper and there's one new feature I'm, so far, unimpressed with and that's the new split image focusing. Maybe I'm holding it wrong ;-) but I just barely see the split image box. I've owned the Leica M9 so I'm really familar with the concept but on the M9 though the focus box was smaller it was much more visible. Perhaps it's just a result of shooting mostly using one particular background so I'll give it more chances in other situations.

The only other downside I have is the battery indicator. I usually get 300-400 shots on a charge, and since I have the X-E1 and they use the same battery I now have two batteries so I won't be running out of power anytime soon, but the battery indicator isn't accurate. Twice recently a battery has gone from four bars to three bars to one bar skipping right over two bars. On the positive side another new feature of the X-E2 is improved power management. You can now set the camera to only use the electronic view finder. When you put the camera to your eye the viewfinder will turn on like usual but the LCD will never be on. You can review pics and adjust the menu using the viewfinder and this should save a lot of battery life as the LCD is the main drain on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive camera. Solid in hand, complete manual control if you want. Low noise at high ISO, December 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 5:11 Mins

The Fujifilm X-E2 is the next camera I'm using in what seems like my eternal quest to find an excellent but smaller camera than my Nikon D300 DSLR. The latter camera, with it's battery grip, large 18-55mm f2.8 lens and hot shoe mounted flash is a very large camera to haul around. Yes, the pictures I get from it are phenomenal but it is just not convenient to always have to carry such a monstrosity around.

This is a sophisticated camera that will reward the more experienced photographer and not one that an amateur might appreciate as much. You will not find most of the "scene modes" that you find on most point & shoot cameras... like Fireworks, Candlelight, Sports, Portrait, etc. You can have full manual control of all aspects of the camera... ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Exposure Compensation, bracketing, function buttons, the whole shebang... it's pretty powerful. In fact, this is the first camera I've owned in quite a while where I felt I really needed to dive into the manual to read up on everything. And get this... this camera comes with an honest to goodness manual. Hallelujah! You mean I don't have to struggle with a cheesy quick start pamphlet and then visit a website to download a PDF of the manual? No... it actually comes with a manual. 130 pages.

I've tried using several other smaller cameras including a Lumix DMC-LX5, Nikon Coolpix L110, several Canon Elph models the most recent of which was the PowerShot Elph 110HS but have continually found them lacking in so many ways as to make me revert back to my bulky DSLR. They all could take sometimes great photos but they were also deficient in many ways whether it be lousy low-light performance, inability to shoot indoors very well, or capture shots of fidgety children.

The Fujifilm X-E2 is spectacular to behold in a very understated and retro kind of way. It's got pebble-grain leather covering the body... how many cameras have pebble-grain leather covering the body? I mean, maybe 30-40 years ago, but not today. But don't let what it looks like on the outside fool you into thinking it isn't up-to-date inside.

Included Accessories:
➤ Front Lens Cap
➤ Rear Lens Cap
➤ Lens Hood

➤ Camera Body
It's not as small a body as you might think. It feels quite good in the hand. I feel I can grip the camera securely because it has a very understated yet effective hand-grip and rear thumb rest. It really is a two-handed camera. It's a solid camera and feels extremely well-built. You'll immediately notice that the dials are not plastic but substantial machined metal. A feeling of real quality. There is no squeaking or creaking of the body as it is handled due to the fact that the top and base plates are fabricated of die-cast magnesium alloy. It gives the camera a feeling of rigidity.

➤ Camera Sensor
It's packing some worthy stuff on the inside as well including a 16.3 megapixel APS-C, X-Trans CMOS II sensor. This sensor gives the camera a crop factor of 1.5 meaning a 18mm-55mm lens will be equivalent to 27mm-82mm in a 35mm format. It is this sensor, that helps provide excellent image quality and superior low-light performance with absolutely minimal noise and useable high ISO settings.

➤ The Electronic Viewfinder and LCD display
There is no optical viewfinder but rather a 3" LCD display on the back and one of the best OLED Electronic Viewfinders I've seen. I'm not a big fan of EVF's but this one is at least good enough not to dissuade me from using it. The viewfinder has a diopter adjustment on the left side. I have no problem using the viewfinder with my glasses.

Both the LCD and EVF provide a 100% view of the shot which eliminates the guesswork of what is and is not going to end up in the photo. I've never been a fan of Electronic Viewfinders but this one may change my mind because it is quite good. You can actually see all of the information in the EVF that you would normally see on the larger LCD screen. And a really cool feature is that as soon as you hold the camera up to your eye, a sensor automatically turns the EV on while turning off the back LCD because of an eye sensor on the right side of the viewfinder. You can configure how you'd like this to work. The EV does have a bit of lag in really low light and I do have some issues with EVF's in low light for other reasons. But it is far better than any electronic viewfinder I've ever used before.

➤ Lens
This camera can use interchangeable lenses but comes with a very worthy 18-55mm lens with an aperture range of f/2.8-4. That's a pretty fast lens and in conjunction with the ability to shoot at high ISO settings this camera excels at taking great photos with available light and super great shots in low-light that other cameras would do poorly in.

➤ Focus Speed
This camera with the 18-55mm kit lens focuses very quickly. If you have the "pre-AF" on, you will find even faster final focusing when you're ready to take a shot. The AF illuminator LED helps in low light situations. I am not too pleased with the positioning of the LED itself as it is very easy to block it while holding the camrea with your right hand depending on how you grip the camera.

➤ Start-up time and shutter lag
I've missed so many shots with other cameras when waiting for the camera to turn on. Interminable delays of a few seconds startup time are a thing of the past with the X-E2. This thing starts up and is ready to fire in just 0.5 seconds. It's that fast. And shutter lag is nearly imperceptible. Trying to get shots of kids running around, or other action shots requires a camera with a very low shutter lag so that you can capture the moment at the exact instant you need to. The X-E2 has a really short shutter lag... so short that it is not even really noticeable. And the camera is fast to write to memory so that you only begin to notice a short between shots delay if you've filled the buffer with rapid shots. But even then you are ready to go in just a few seconds.

➤ Image Quality
You can shoot in Fine, Normal, Fine + RAW, Normal + RAW or RAW.
Movies are H.264 (MOV) with stereo sound.

➤ Memory Card
The camera can use SD/SDHC/SDXC cards

➤ Battery and Charger
I'm very frustrated that the camera does not support in-camera battery charging via USB. On numerous occasions I have found myself with a dead battery and no charger. If the camera had supported in camera charging, it would have been a trivial action to connect it to an AC USB charger or USB car charger or even a higher capacity batterypack to charge the camera battery. But unfortunately that is not possible with this camera. Best advice is to have at least one additional fully charged battery with you.

I do not find the shutter sound to be excessively loud. Rather it is a soft clunk. To me it sounds of quality.

You have a lot of customization options with the function button and a "Q" button can be used to quickly access and adjust many camera settings. This is awesome as it eliminates the need to wade through levels of menu options to change a setting. This allows much quicker access to what you need to change.

This is a beautiful functional camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Camera I've Been Waiting For, April 3, 2014
If you are looking for a strictly technical review of this camera, you'd be much better served reading through the dozens of professional and objective reviews there are for this camera. I'm writing this review for the photography enthusiast that's more concerned about the whole experience than isolated technical bits.

For nearly a decade I've been waiting for this camera. I've been through Canon Rebels, 5D Mark II, S95, and more recently with the venerable and competent Olympus OMD EM5. But all of them were missing something something that's crucial to me: the photography experience. In a hyper-competitive, cut-throat market manufactures try to cram more and more features in their cameras to meet demand. This translates to "jack of all trades, master of none". I did not and do not care about all the bells and whistles or extras. I care the most about one thing: taking awesome photos. To that end, this camera, X-E2, is the absolute best camera I've owned.

You will absolutely love this camera if:
* you care about photography more than any other feature
* love shooting in JPEG with *zero* noise (I've pixel peeped 1:1 and even 3:1) up to ISO 1600
* miss the the photography experience (choosing film, lenses, etc.) of the "old times"
* enjoy the tactile aspect of holding a well-designed, sturdy camera on your hands
* looking for an out-of-this-world color-faithful EVF
* love bringing your camera in your travels

You might want to consider a different camera if:
* you shoot a lot of video
* you care about stuff like camera apps ("smart camera")
* you like shooting high-speed, fast-moving subjects
* you are looking for a point-and-shoot upgrade
* you're not completely obsessed with photography

As an aside: calling the amazing 18-55/2.8-4 lens a 'kit' lens is blasphemy. That lens is simply amazing. Right at par with many Canon "L" lenses I've owned and used that cost 4X as much. So, if you do not own Fuji glass already, I cannot recommend the 'kit' combo enough. It will blow your mind, I guarantee it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Step Up for X-Pro1 Users, Though Not Perfect. (4.5 stars), December 4, 2013
I've stepped up from an X-Pro1 and would consider this an upgrade. Below are some remarks.

The electronic viewfinder (EVF) is better than the X-Pro1 and has been doing well in all my lighting situations (low light to normal) at this time. I really love the resolution of it. It refreshes well at low light. Pair that with the new focusing features and you should have no problem getting things in critical focus via manual focus. I've been shooting with my X-Pro1's EVF 90% of the time using the optical viewfinder for key pre-framed "decisive moment" shots. I really don't miss the OVF and have adjusted shooting with out it.

The focusing is the obvious selling point and there is a big difference coming from an X-Pro1 user. The phase detect integration has been put to good use and I do notice a jump in speed and less time in searching for focus. There would be times where the camera would still miss focus for simple things (e.g. an environmental portrait indoors), but I think that could be improved with firmware updates.

The thing is also pretty to look at and hold. It's essentially the same body as the prior X-cameras, just refined. From an X-Pro owner, i appreciate it's size, a little smaller, but still feels good in hand. I used to gaffer tape the system light so it doesn't look like I'm shooting, now I just need to cover the light with my thumb. The sparing use of red combines well with the sparing use of red on my camera lens. The thing is just aesthetically pleasing.

Now there are some things I don't like that are important for me to state with only one thing I don't think they would be able to fix.

I don't like their removal of the view mode and the inability to be flexible in what's viewable on screen and on EVF. To get to a place to adjust will take multiple clicks on a 1 level menu a few tabs down. I don't like the current lack of RAW support (for Adobe Lightroom 5, PS CC). I still do prefer to shoot RAW, even if their JPEGs come out flawless, as I appreciate the control I get. These will most likely be fixed in due time. I respect how fast these issues get addressed by fuji, still a major pain to wait (that RAW support issue really messed up my plans though).

(Update: 12/24/13: Adobe's RAW support now supports XE-2 RAW Output)

One more noticeable thing is in its hardware design. The high quality LCD screen doesn't cover the whole LCD screen frame. There's a bar to the right that's not used, ever. I would call that poor planning.

In the end, I still enjoy this camera. The image quality takes this thing home. Most of the R-type in-house lenses are top notch throughout the aperture range and really complement the camera's capabilities well. The autofocus has really improved. Using the camera is still a joy and I love how well it handles.

If you're a X-Pro1 user, this camera is a very worthy upgrade and worth consideration. If you're new to the Fuji line, this is a great camera to jump in as a lot of prior issues (showstoppers for some) have been addressed (except sports-style shooting). You'll love the detail and color this camera produces.

Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for quality and Fuji US repair service, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Fujifilm X-E2 16.3 MP Compact System Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD - Body Only (Silver) (Electronics)

Here is what I learned with my over 3 month and counting adventure with the understaffed Fuji US repair. And this started before they had to handle the x-t1 light leak.
1) If you can return it to Amazon, do it. I noticed the spot a few weeks after I received the camera, still kicking myself for that.
2) Fuji repair will say they will email or call you. Never happens, you have to call them. The only email you get is shipping confirmation, either received or sent.
3) If Fuji repair offers to send you a prepaid shipping label, ask for their FedEx account instead. I called on a Monday afternoon and they sent me a 3 day ground label that arrived on Friday, to late to make the last pickup for Fed Ex ground. So it didn't go out until Monday.
4) The Fuji repair website for repair status provides no useful information, you have to call.
5) If you call and they say it is on the repair tech's bench and will go out tomorrow, call the next day. I believed them, waited 6 days, no camera. I called back and got the same response, but did not believe them this time.

I have other Fuji cameras, I am glad they have been working fine through this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little camera, December 17, 2013
I've been using an X-E1 and a Nikon D800 for a while. After I got the X-E2 I sold the D800. You get the compact size, excellent image quality and access to amazing Fuji lenses that the X-E1 shares, but with improved autofocus and greatly improved LCD screen, and faster refresh rate with much less lag on the EVF and LCD. The D800, of course, has more image detail and better AF in low light, but the portability of the X-E2 makes it the better camera for my needs (which include a lot of travel photography).

5.0 out of 5 stars It take's me back!, December 10, 2013
This is what I have been waiting for!! They day I bought my first Digital camera (canon 5D) was the day I stop being a photographer! Seriously the past 15 years I've been building my canon collection, but I would only use it for paying gigs. I never carried it around for personal use because it was a pain! Who wants to lug around all that weight to the zoo or a family function? Plus the lenses are huge!!! I have shot all sorts of camera's. Just 2 years ago I purchased the fuji x100 and fell in love. I carry that camera everywhere. But I yearned for an interchangeable system that I could carry around. If you carry a 5D and 3 lenses your going to have back problems!
The FUJI xe2 delivers!!! I got that and the 23mm 1.4(35mm equivalent) The manual focus is so smooth. The camera is small and so are the lenses. It really is like I'm shooting film all over again!!! I plan on selling all my canon stuff for fuji!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Returned a X-E1 and purchased the X-E2., November 17, 2013
Both bodies are very good. The upgrades of the E2 are incremental and not revolutionary. While it focuses about the same speed as my X100S, don't believe the hype about its "best in class speed" etc. fact is, it's adequate for this type of camera. It still hunts in backlit, low contrast and/or low light. It's ok and I wouldn't say that it's a big problem, but don't be expecting to shoot moving objects with a lot of success unless you zone focus. The Image quality is top notch (which is my primary reason for purchasing it). Ergonomics good, dials are firmer which is an upgrade over previous model. If you have shot with a X100S, this is basically and interchangeable lens version of that body sans the OVF. Improvements could be made in the video functionality and AF speed. But I'd still give this camera a strong buy for the IQ, mechanical features and first class glass. Not replacing my DSLRs...but is definitely my carry around and vacation camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb camera, if not the fastest focusing., January 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fuji X-E2 is a well-built camera with excellent photo quality and a very nice kit lens, but if you plan on shooting lots of fast action it may not be the camera for you.

The X-E2 is a handsome, retro styled camera. It's extremely well made, with predominately metal construction. The camera feels solid in the hand, and despite its sturdy construction, is not a burden to carry around all day. In fact compared to my Canon 7D, it's light as a feather. On the front is a modest rubberized grip while a thumb rest is on the back. Together they make it easy to get a good grip on the Fuji. The front grip looks removable, but is not. The kit lens is also nicely made, with a metal finish and smooth operation. Despite its high build quality, the Fuji had a speck of dust on the sensor when I unboxed it that I had to remove manually.

In operation the Fuji is very easy to use. On the top of the camera is a dedicated shutter speed knob and on the lens is an aperture ring. By using the shutter speed knob and aperture ring it very easy to switch between program mode (both the shutter speed and aperture are set to auto position), shutter or aperture priority (set only one parameter to auto), or fully manual (choose both the shutter speed and aperture yourself). Overall, it's quick to learn and does not impede the shooting process. One quirk of this system is that to choose shutter speeds not marked on the knob you need to spin the rear control dial, but it's very quick to get used to. Additionally, not all X series lenses have a dedicated aperture ring, and for those you'll adjust aperture using the camera body. There are dedicated controls for exposure compensation, focus lock, exposure lock, metering, drive mode, and focus mode. There's also the "Q" button (which brings up a screen to change other important shooting settings), and two function buttons that can be customized (I set mine to ISO and movie recording). As you can see the Fuji is covered in buttons and dials, and it makes changing settings simple and straightforward. Overall, I really enjoy shooting with it.

To compose and review photos with the Fuji you'll use either the 3.0" screen on the back or the electronic viewfinder. The electronic viewfinder is large (though not as big as the 7D's optical viewfinder), bright, and high resolution. While it's not as clear as looking through an optical viewfinder, it is nice to be able to navigate menus, review photos, and perform magnified manual focusing without removing your eye from the camera. While I still prefer the "reality" that an optical viewfinder gives, the X-E2's electronic viewfinder is an excellent substitute. The LCD screen on the back of the Fuji is also bright, sharp, and easy to see in all light conditions. There is an eye sensor by the electronic viewfinder that will automatically switch from the viewfinder to the screen.

The Fuji's performance is a bit of a mixed bag. While it turns on and is ready to shoot in only 2 seconds, I find the focus speed to be a touch slow overall. The Fuji takes about 1 second to lock focus, and while this may not sound like a long time it just doesn't feel as responsive as my Canon 7D. Additionally, I found that it had a hard time locking focus on quickly moving objects. Aside from that the Fuji's focus system works well, and will be more than adequate for most situations. Moreover, it focuses accurately 99% of the time, and focus times are the same whether shooting at wide angle or telephoto or in bright light or low light (just be careful not to block the autofocus illumination light as it's right by the grip). The Fuji was able to focus when light levels dropped to a single 60 watt bulb in a 15' x 10' room, but in those conditions it will occasionally fail to find focus the first time on close objects. Manually focusing can feel a bit odd since you're not really moving the lens elements yourself, but rather telling the camera to move them for you, so it can feel a bit delayed and unsatisfying. The Fuji offers magnified view, split image focusing, and focus peaking, to help you get accurate focus. There are two continuous shooting speeds offered and the Fuji will take 7 RAW or RAW + JEPG images before slowing down. If you're shooting JPEGs only you'll get 18 images at full speed before the Fuji slows. Keeping up with movement accurately can be a bit difficult as the Fuji's live view stutters a little bit while continuous shooting.

Photo quality is where the X-E2 shines. The Fuji's sensor is every bit as good as any other APS-C sensor and give images with lots of detail, and low noise. Indeed I find the Fuji's high ISO images are distinctly cleaner than those of my Canon 7D, and have plenty of detail to work with. I'll very happily shoot up to ISO 3200 all day long with the Fuji and not worry. The sensitivities above 3200 are good as well, but I'll reserve those for emergency use only as they start to get a bit crunchy looking. The Fuji gets exposure correct 99% of the time. Color is also excellent and realistic without looking flat. I do most of my shooting in RAW and use Lightroom for editing since I like to tweak my images and alter the highlights and shadows. However, even if you shoot only JPEGs you'll get excellent results. In fact the Fuji gives up very little when you shoot JPEG, creating images with excellent noise control and detail retention. The Fuji's built in flash is pretty powerful and I was able to light up a subject from about 12 feet away at ISO 100. It can also be pulled backward to serve as a bounce flash.

The kit lens is also excellent. Its zoom strength is nothing special, but it covers a good walk around range. What's great about this kit lens is the aperture. It starts at f/2.8 at the wide end and only closes down to f/4 at the long end. Compared to most kit lenses these apertures are great, and will not only give you shallower depth of field but also allow you to shoot in lower light without having to raise your ISO speed. The lens shows very consistent results throughout the zoom range. Even wide open at wide angle sharpness is high and the corners hold up very well. Lastly, there is very little purple fringing to be found.

Movies are recorded in stereo sound in full HD at 60 fps. You can use the zoom when filming but you have to be smooth or it will look jerky. Additionally when you zoom and the Fuji refocuses it's not always instantly, sometime it has to hunt. The quality of the movies is high with good picture and sound in good light. In low light things can get a bit grainy.

Battery life is pretty good. I was able to take a couple hundred photos before the battery died, with a lot of photo reviewing and menu navigation.

All in all... an excellent all around enthusiast camera, but not for those who shoot a lot of action.

02/24/2014 Update: Fuji released a firmware update for both the camera and kit lens. The camera now works better with Fuji's 56mm f/1.2 lens. The kit lens now benefits from better image stabilization and auto focus performance in continuous shooting mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., December 2, 2013
JJG (Lincoln, NE USA) - See all my reviews
I've been thinking about upgrading from my Canon 50d for awhile now. I thought I wanted a full frame camera, but I could never justify spending that kind of money on a hobby. One of the main reasons was that I had sort of got out of the habit of shooting as much as I used. Part of the reason was that it always seemed like such a pain to lug around the camera. There were always times I wish I had a camera, but didn't.

This camera solves a lot of that for me. Take the lens off the body and the thing literally fits in your pocket. Leave it on and it fits nicely in my car's center console. It feels nice in my hands, although I bought the metal thumb grip at the same time as the camera and must admit that does help quite a bit.

Compared to my 50d (which is a little long in the tooth) the image quality is superior. The color reproduction in particular seemed to be good. It also seemed to perform better at higher ISOs than my 50d does. Really, the only area where the 50d still out-performs the XE-2 is how fast the autofocus works. The XE-2 is good, but my 50d is still a touch better. Maybe a firmware update will improve this.

Despite using a Canon products for almost a decade, I found I really like the controls on this camera. I found it really easy and intuitive to change the shutter speed and aperature. ISO and most of the other frequently used settings are easily reached by hitting the Q button. The layout could be tweaked a little, but overall it's pretty good.

I've never had a camera with wifi, but it's a feature that's gotten more use than I thought it would. Being able to transmit pictures to Facebook, Twitter, or whatever is really simple once you upload the photo from the camera using Fuji's app. I don't post a lot of pictures online, but that may change a little bit now that it is a lot simpler.

The build quality is really good and the included kit lens is really nice. The screen is sharp and the EVF is clear. Like I mentioned before, the size of the frame is nice and compact and is much easier to take along wherever you go.

Is this a replacement for a full frame DSLR? No. Is it a good alternative for a crop sensor DSLR? In my opinion, absolutely. First, the price and performance makes it very competitive. Second, the size is going to be tough to beat. Finally, for me at least, it is a camera I am more likely to use more and take with me more places. As other's have mentioned about this camera though, if you like putting everything on automatic or different shooting modes (sports, portrait, landscape, etc) then this camera is probably not for you. If you are interested in learning how to shoot without those crutches, this camera would be a great place to start.