5.0 out of 5 stars X-E2 perfect for the analog photo experience enthusiast
This is a really fantastic camera if you're an enthusiast who enjoys adjusting settings, playing with film modes and getting really high quality photos without having to carry a much bulkier camera or pay thousands for a Leica.

Published 14 months ago by J. Strand

3.0 out of 5 stars DSLR image quality in a compact body with some caveats
Why did I buy the Fuji X-E2? I was tired of carrying my DSLR around. Even the smallest DSLR is twice the depth and weight of the Fuji body. The APC Fuji sensor is fantastic and provides the same effective field of view and depth of field at a given focal length as any comparable DSLR.

You can read about specs and peek at pixels all day. The bottom line is...
Published 9 months ago by JB123

5.0 out of 5 stars X-E2 perfect for the analog photo experience enthusiast, November 14, 2013

If you want a camera you can set on sports/portrait/landscape or "green" and click away. or you think P stands for "Professional mode" this camera is not for you. Yes, you can set aperture, shutter speed and ISO to auto and shoot, and there are a few modes like panorama, toy or miniature mode but to really enjoy the camera you need to be familiar with exposure and how to adjust for it.

I have the X-E1 and takes great shots but it has three shortcomings that matter to me. Focus wasn't fast enough, the electronic viewfinder, though beautiful, would stutter if you moved quickly and you couldn't set a minimum shutter speed. These issues don't bother a lot of people who don't shoot moving objects but they did bother a lot of people and Fuji has addressed all three issues (among others) and focus is now very very fast, the electronic view finder is the same one as in the X-E1 but a better processor means it's smooth as butter and you can now set a minimum shutter speed!

Other improvements include a screen that's just a little bigger but has about twice the pixels and the change of placement of a few buttons for the better. There's also a new lens correction feature called the Lens Modulation Optimizer that I doubt you'll ever notice unless you're a pixel peeper and there's one new feature I'm, so far, unimpressed with and that's the new split image focusing. Maybe I'm holding it wrong ;-) but I just barely see the split image box. I've owned the Leica M9 so I'm really familar with the concept but on the M9 though the focus box was smaller it was much more visible. Perhaps it's just a result of shooting mostly using one particular background so I'll give it more chances in other situations.

The only other downside I have is the battery indicator. I usually get 300-400 shots on a charge, and since I have the X-E1 and they use the same battery I now have two batteries so I won't be running out of power anytime soon, but the battery indicator isn't accurate. Twice recently a battery has gone from four bars to three bars to one bar skipping right over two bars. On the positive side another new feature of the X-E2 is improved power management. You can now set the camera to only use the electronic view finder. When you put the camera to your eye the viewfinder will turn on like usual but the LCD will never be on. You can review pics and adjust the menu using the viewfinder and this should save a lot of battery life as the LCD is the main drain on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Camera I've Been Waiting For, April 3, 2014
If you are looking for a strictly technical review of this camera, you'd be much better served reading through the dozens of professional and objective reviews there are for this camera. I'm writing this review for the photography enthusiast that's more concerned about the whole experience than isolated technical bits.

For nearly a decade I've been waiting for this camera. I've been through Canon Rebels, 5D Mark II, S95, and more recently with the venerable and competent Olympus OMD EM5. But all of them were missing something something that's crucial to me: the photography experience. In a hyper-competitive, cut-throat market manufactures try to cram more and more features in their cameras to meet demand. This translates to "jack of all trades, master of none". I did not and do not care about all the bells and whistles or extras. I care the most about one thing: taking awesome photos. To that end, this camera, X-E2, is the absolute best camera I've owned.

You will absolutely love this camera if:
* you care about photography more than any other feature
* love shooting in JPEG with *zero* noise (I've pixel peeped 1:1 and even 3:1) up to ISO 1600
* miss the the photography experience (choosing film, lenses, etc.) of the "old times"
* enjoy the tactile aspect of holding a well-designed, sturdy camera on your hands
* looking for an out-of-this-world color-faithful EVF
* love bringing your camera in your travels

You might want to consider a different camera if:
* you shoot a lot of video
* you care about stuff like camera apps ("smart camera")
* you like shooting high-speed, fast-moving subjects
* you are looking for a point-and-shoot upgrade
* you're not completely obsessed with photography

As an aside: calling the amazing 18-55/2.8-4 lens a 'kit' lens is blasphemy. That lens is simply amazing. Right at par with many Canon "L" lenses I've owned and used that cost 4X as much. So, if you do not own Fuji glass already, I cannot recommend the 'kit' combo enough. It will blow your mind, I guarantee it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive camera. Solid in hand, complete manual control if you want. Low noise at high ISO, December 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 5:11 Mins

The Fujifilm X-E2 is the next camera I'm using in what seems like my eternal quest to find an excellent but smaller camera than my Nikon D300 DSLR. The latter camera, with it's battery grip, large 18-55mm f2.8 lens and hot shoe mounted flash is a very large camera to haul around. Yes, the pictures I get from it are phenomenal but it is just not convenient to always have to carry such a monstrosity around.

This is a sophisticated camera that will reward the more experienced photographer and not one that an amateur might appreciate as much. You will not find most of the "scene modes" that you find on most point & shoot cameras... like Fireworks, Candlelight, Sports, Portrait, etc. You can have full manual control of all aspects of the camera... ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Exposure Compensation, bracketing, function buttons, the whole shebang... it's pretty powerful. In fact, this is the first camera I've owned in quite a while where I felt I really needed to dive into the manual to read up on everything. And get this... this camera comes with an honest to goodness manual. Hallelujah! You mean I don't have to struggle with a cheesy quick start pamphlet and then visit a website to download a PDF of the manual? No... it actually comes with a manual. 130 pages.

I've tried using several other smaller cameras including a Lumix DMC-LX5, Nikon Coolpix L110, several Canon Elph models the most recent of which was the PowerShot Elph 110HS but have continually found them lacking in so many ways as to make me revert back to my bulky DSLR. They all could take sometimes great photos but they were also deficient in many ways whether it be lousy low-light performance, inability to shoot indoors very well, or capture shots of fidgety children.

The Fujifilm X-E2 is spectacular to behold in a very understated and retro kind of way. It's got pebble-grain leather covering the body... how many cameras have pebble-grain leather covering the body? I mean, maybe 30-40 years ago, but not today. But don't let what it looks like on the outside fool you into thinking it isn't up-to-date inside.

Included Accessories:
➤ Front Lens Cap
➤ Rear Lens Cap
➤ Lens Hood

➤ Camera Body
It's not as small a body as you might think. It feels quite good in the hand. I feel I can grip the camera securely because it has a very understated yet effective hand-grip and rear thumb rest. It really is a two-handed camera. It's a solid camera and feels extremely well-built. You'll immediately notice that the dials are not plastic but substantial machined metal. A feeling of real quality. There is no squeaking or creaking of the body as it is handled due to the fact that the top and base plates are fabricated of die-cast magnesium alloy. It gives the camera a feeling of rigidity.

➤ Camera Sensor
It's packing some worthy stuff on the inside as well including a 16.3 megapixel APS-C, X-Trans CMOS II sensor. This sensor gives the camera a crop factor of 1.5 meaning a 18mm-55mm lens will be equivalent to 27mm-82mm in a 35mm format. It is this sensor, that helps provide excellent image quality and superior low-light performance with absolutely minimal noise and useable high ISO settings.

➤ The Electronic Viewfinder and LCD display
There is no optical viewfinder but rather a 3" LCD display on the back and one of the best OLED Electronic Viewfinders I've seen. I'm not a big fan of EVF's but this one is at least good enough not to dissuade me from using it. The viewfinder has a diopter adjustment on the left side. I have no problem using the viewfinder with my glasses.

Both the LCD and EVF provide a 100% view of the shot which eliminates the guesswork of what is and is not going to end up in the photo. I've never been a fan of Electronic Viewfinders but this one may change my mind because it is quite good. You can actually see all of the information in the EVF that you would normally see on the larger LCD screen. And a really cool feature is that as soon as you hold the camera up to your eye, a sensor automatically turns the EV on while turning off the back LCD because of an eye sensor on the right side of the viewfinder. You can configure how you'd like this to work. The EV does have a bit of lag in really low light and I do have some issues with EVF's in low light for other reasons. But it is far better than any electronic viewfinder I've ever used before.

➤ Lens
This camera can use interchangeable lenses but comes with a very worthy 18-55mm lens with an aperture range of f/2.8-4. That's a pretty fast lens and in conjunction with the ability to shoot at high ISO settings this camera excels at taking great photos with available light and super great shots in low-light that other cameras would do poorly in.

➤ Focus Speed
This camera with the 18-55mm kit lens focuses very quickly. If you have the "pre-AF" on, you will find even faster final focusing when you're ready to take a shot. The AF illuminator LED helps in low light situations. I am not too pleased with the positioning of the LED itself as it is very easy to block it while holding the camrea with your right hand depending on how you grip the camera.

➤ Start-up time and shutter lag
I've missed so many shots with other cameras when waiting for the camera to turn on. Interminable delays of a few seconds startup time are a thing of the past with the X-E2. This thing starts up and is ready to fire in just 0.5 seconds. It's that fast. And shutter lag is nearly imperceptible. Trying to get shots of kids running around, or other action shots requires a camera with a very low shutter lag so that you can capture the moment at the exact instant you need to. The X-E2 has a really short shutter lag... so short that it is not even really noticeable. And the camera is fast to write to memory so that you only begin to notice a short between shots delay if you've filled the buffer with rapid shots. But even then you are ready to go in just a few seconds.

➤ Image Quality
You can shoot in Fine, Normal, Fine + RAW, Normal + RAW or RAW.
Movies are H.264 (MOV) with stereo sound.

➤ Memory Card
The camera can use SD/SDHC/SDXC cards

➤ Battery and Charger
I'm very frustrated that the camera does not support in-camera battery charging via USB. On numerous occasions I have found myself with a dead battery and no charger. If the camera had supported in camera charging, it would have been a trivial action to connect it to an AC USB charger or USB car charger or even a higher capacity batterypack to charge the camera battery. But unfortunately that is not possible with this camera. Best advice is to have at least one additional fully charged battery with you.

I do not find the shutter sound to be excessively loud. Rather it is a soft clunk. To me it sounds of quality.

You have a lot of customization options with the function button and a "Q" button can be used to quickly access and adjust many camera settings. This is awesome as it eliminates the need to wade through levels of menu options to change a setting. This allows much quicker access to what you need to change.

This is a beautiful functional camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Months Later - The Right Decision?, December 21, 2014
After four months with the Fujifilm X-E2 it's time to reassess my opinion of the camera and my switch from a DSLR. A little history to establish my credentials: Shooting since 1971, used over 80 film cameras from 110 to 5X7and about every brand of digital, sometime wedding and commercial photographer, operated regional camera store operation with up to four stores over 25 years.

In August '14 I sold my last DSLR and moved to the Fuji X-E2. My reasoning: I wanted high quality equipment capable of good 11X14 prints in a much smaller package. My shooting is 90% still life / landscape with very little time spent with fast moving sports and zero need for video. I chose the Fuji X-E2 because I wanted to get back that rangefinder shooting experience I enjoyed and to have a less obtrusive camera. The reviews were solid for the camera before I purchased it.

If you want the quick answer, I did make the right decision and I am very happy with the camera. If you'd like more opinion and observation, read on!

Do I shoot more now that I have a smaller, takealong camera? No I don't because life remains as busy as ever. I do enjoy shooting more during the opportunities that do come along. Less weight, less kit, less to carry. I found that with a DSLR I tended to be more removed from events - with the X-E2 I can be more engaged. Nothing makes a better social barrier than a stuffed camera bag (common with a DSLR), people simply tend to give you a wider berth.

Comparing the X-E2 to my DSLR equipment finds that fit and finish are to higher tolerances on the Fuji camera. No, I never owned a top model Canon or Nikon but I sold them and handled them a lot. The X-E2 is in the same class as a top DSLR for quality construction. There isn't a creaky seam or joint on the camera and the lenses I have are pleasingly solid. (Weather resistant seals are a feature, not a construction point in this comparison.)

Performance: The X-E2 will never perform as well as a mid-level DSLR when it comes to focus tracking a moving object. But this is to be expected of a rangefinder-style camera. Just a personal rule of thumb: Rangefinders capture moments, DSLRs capture events. Is capturing kids soccer a prime need? Buy a Nikon D5200 or a Canon Rebel. Need serious lighting control for studio, portraits, or weddings? Go with a mid-level or higher DSLR. But if it is at all affordable, also buy the X-E2 for the rest of life that happens off the field and after the wedding dance.

X-E2 Image quality: Stunning at 16mp. Don't use megapixel counts as the determining factor in your camera purchase. Just don't. It is a consideration, but to some extent similar to buying a car based only on engine size.

Soapbox time: Many photographers are far too hung up on pixel count, it's an easy number that seems to act like a useful scorecard. Yet I have sold 20+ megapixel cameras to customers who never make a print and only share through the web. This tends toward overkill. Please don't fall into this mindset, consider the image's final usage. To make a very high quality 11X14 at 300dpi only requires 13.8 megapixels (most optical photo printers can only do 250dpi).

'More pixels mean greater ability to crop...' yes, but it takes only a little more skill development to capture the image the best way in-camera. And we have to be aware that there is no free lunch, more pixels on the same size chip means smaller pixels that each capture less light. Amazing advances are happening around pixel sensitivity and size, but it still takes a lot of digital scrubbing to remove noise from high ISO images taken with high pixel APS-C sensors. OK, enough of the soapbox...

Workflow: Early on the Fuji X-series had some serious issues with post processing - the unique sensor Fuji used wasn't well supported by common editing software. This is no longer the case, in my workflow which consists of Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 I experience no speedbumps during import and no degradation in image quality.

Did I Make the Right Decision? For the way I shoot, yes. I couldn't be happier. I haven't missed any shots due to camera performance and I have taken more successful shots on each excursion with the camera. If I were still selling cameras I would suggest the X-E2:
* As a primary model to photographers who want to develop their shooting skills with a camera that rewards the effort
* I would strongly suggest the X-E2 as a backup, take along, or travel camera for DSLR hobbyists or semi-pro shooters.
* Any photographer who wants an exceptional manual camera experience yet also expects outstanding fully program shooting
* As a worthwhile choice to those who love street photography

I wouldn't immediately suggest the X-E2 as a step up for a higher-end compact camera shooter. While the X-E2 is excellent in full program operation, it lacks the other 'easy modes' such as Portrait, Sports, and Landscape that these shooters tend to like. If the photographer is looking to grow and expand their skill set too, then the X-E2 becomes a viable option.

The Fuji X-E2 expects that the photographer begins with (or soon acquires) some understanding of exposure, composition, and camera handling. For that group of photographers, the X-E2 will consistently exceed expectations while capturing stunning image quality.

Images: Warping Machine, Amana Iowa. Fine detail in the crossing threads without any moire. View from Hoover Dam and a 100% crop from the same image.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little camera, December 17, 2013
I've been using an X-E1 and a Nikon D800 for a while. After I got the X-E2 I sold the D800. You get the compact size, excellent image quality and access to amazing Fuji lenses that the X-E1 shares, but with improved autofocus and greatly improved LCD screen, and faster refresh rate with much less lag on the EVF and LCD. The D800, of course, has more image detail and better AF in low light, but the portability of the X-E2 makes it the better camera for my needs (which include a lot of travel photography).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Step Up for X-Pro1 Users, Though Not Perfect. (4.5 stars), December 4, 2013
I've stepped up from an X-Pro1 and would consider this an upgrade. Below are some remarks.

The electronic viewfinder (EVF) is better than the X-Pro1 and has been doing well in all my lighting situations (low light to normal) at this time. I really love the resolution of it. It refreshes well at low light. Pair that with the new focusing features and you should have no problem getting things in critical focus via manual focus. I've been shooting with my X-Pro1's EVF 90% of the time using the optical viewfinder for key pre-framed "decisive moment" shots. I really don't miss the OVF and have adjusted shooting with out it.

The focusing is the obvious selling point and there is a big difference coming from an X-Pro1 user. The phase detect integration has been put to good use and I do notice a jump in speed and less time in searching for focus. There would be times where the camera would still miss focus for simple things (e.g. an environmental portrait indoors), but I think that could be improved with firmware updates.

The thing is also pretty to look at and hold. It's essentially the same body as the prior X-cameras, just refined. From an X-Pro owner, i appreciate it's size, a little smaller, but still feels good in hand. I used to gaffer tape the system light so it doesn't look like I'm shooting, now I just need to cover the light with my thumb. The sparing use of red combines well with the sparing use of red on my camera lens. The thing is just aesthetically pleasing.

Now there are some things I don't like that are important for me to state with only one thing I don't think they would be able to fix.

I don't like their removal of the view mode and the inability to be flexible in what's viewable on screen and on EVF. To get to a place to adjust will take multiple clicks on a 1 level menu a few tabs down. I don't like the current lack of RAW support (for Adobe Lightroom 5, PS CC). I still do prefer to shoot RAW, even if their JPEGs come out flawless, as I appreciate the control I get. These will most likely be fixed in due time. I respect how fast these issues get addressed by fuji, still a major pain to wait (that RAW support issue really messed up my plans though).

(Update: 12/24/13: Adobe's RAW support now supports XE-2 RAW Output)

One more noticeable thing is in its hardware design. The high quality LCD screen doesn't cover the whole LCD screen frame. There's a bar to the right that's not used, ever. I would call that poor planning.

In the end, I still enjoy this camera. The image quality takes this thing home. Most of the R-type in-house lenses are top notch throughout the aperture range and really complement the camera's capabilities well. The autofocus has really improved. Using the camera is still a joy and I love how well it handles.

If you're a X-Pro1 user, this camera is a very worthy upgrade and worth consideration. If you're new to the Fuji line, this is a great camera to jump in as a lot of prior issues (showstoppers for some) have been addressed (except sports-style shooting). You'll love the detail and color this camera produces.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars DSLR image quality in a compact body with some caveats, April 13, 2014

You can read about specs and peek at pixels all day. The bottom line is the best camera is the one you have with you when you need to take a photo. An 8x10 large format camera with an 800 megapixel scanning back will give you better image quality than this or any so-called "full-frame" DSLR. Good luck walking around with either that 8x10 camera or that bulky DSLR all day.

Fuji has hit the sweet spot of brilliant image quality in a body + lens package that is light and small enough to carry all day without a second thought.

The only detractors for this body are its lack of weather sealing and an optical view finder. Weather sealing (especially at this price point) should have been provided. Because the whole point of a carry everywhere camera is that you can carry it everywhere regardless of weather. As far as the EVF (electronic view finder) versus OVF (optical view finder) argument goes, you have to decide for your self. I owned the Fuji X-Pro1 that has an OVF but found the camera body too big and the EVF was horribly slow and grainy. The EVF on the X-E2 is worlds beyond the X-Pro1 or any other EVF I have ever used. The EVF is smooth and bright. But it is not an optical finder. There is still some lag in the display and in extreme bright daylight the EVF is near impossible to see until I have cupped my hand over my viewing eye and let my eye adjust to the light differential for several seconds. Big deal? Well, it can be. Those few seconds are the difference between getting the shot and not in many candid situations.

The EVF is better than an optical non-TTL view finder because for macro work you HAVE TO USE THE EVF! I like macro shooting and even the X-Pro1 switches to its EVF when in macro mode. The EVF also can give an amazing real time display of exposure which is a revelation coming from a purely optical SLR system.

** Update after a few months of use **

The more a got to know this camera the less I liked it. The novelty wore off. I shoot outdoors. And at least where I live we have "weather" outdoors. Without fail every time I take this camera with me it either snows or rains. Lacking any weather sealing I have to shelter it under my jacket of shove it in a bag where it is a useful as a rock.

The EVF had a real "wow" factor at first but as I carried this camera daily I found it lacking in many typical situations. Bright daylight and snow: the EVF is simply not nearly as bright as daylight. When my eyes are looking at the real world in full sunlight they are adjusted to very bright light. When I move my eye to the EVF the image is so much dimmer that it takes my eye several seconds to adjust and open up so I can see the EVF image at all. Then moving my eye back to daylight I am blinded for several seconds before I can see again in daylight. I do not walk around with the camera glued to my eye. I only put the camera to my eye when I want to get a shot. The lag time of human eye adjustment between the brightness level is just too long and introduces too much delay into the photo process.

Using an optical viewfinder (SLR or rangefinder) equalizes the brightness level much more closely between the real world and your view through the camera. An optical viewfinder is simply faster to use in brightly lit environments.

Ironically, the EVF suffers from being too bright when in a low light environment. I often found myself blinded by the EVF when indoors shooting in dark rooms or outdoors at night.

I have given up on the X system and returned to using DSLR's full time. Yes they are heavier and bigger. But the SLR optical viewfinder simply does not get in my way when shooting. The EVF is simply not good enough for me in daily use.

5.0 out of 5 stars It take's me back!, December 10, 2013
This is what I have been waiting for!! They day I bought my first Digital camera (canon 5D) was the day I stop being a photographer! Seriously the past 15 years I've been building my canon collection, but I would only use it for paying gigs. I never carried it around for personal use because it was a pain! Who wants to lug around all that weight to the zoo or a family function? Plus the lenses are huge!!! I have shot all sorts of camera's. Just 2 years ago I purchased the fuji x100 and fell in love. I carry that camera everywhere. But I yearned for an interchangeable system that I could carry around. If you carry a 5D and 3 lenses your going to have back problems!
The FUJI xe2 delivers!!! I got that and the 23mm 1.4(35mm equivalent) The manual focus is so smooth. The camera is small and so are the lenses. It really is like I'm shooting film all over again!!! I plan on selling all my canon stuff for fuji!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for quality and Fuji US repair service, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Fujifilm X-E2 16.3 MP Compact System Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD - Body Only (Silver) (Electronics)
My x-e2 had a spot on the sensor and the camera was replaced. The replacement camera had a problem with the lens mount. After taking a photo, using the review button, then pressing the shutter, the camera would lose connection with the lens, showing f0. The replacement camera is on its 2nd visit to Fuji repair for the same problem.

Here is what I learned with my over 3 month and counting adventure with the understaffed Fuji US repair. And this started before they had to handle the x-t1 light leak.
1) If you can return it to Amazon, do it. I noticed the spot a few weeks after I received the camera, still kicking myself for that.
2) Fuji repair will say they will email or call you. Never happens, you have to call them. The only email you get is shipping confirmation, either received or sent.
3) If Fuji repair offers to send you a prepaid shipping label, ask for their FedEx account instead. I called on a Monday afternoon and they sent me a 3 day ground label that arrived on Friday, to late to make the last pickup for Fed Ex ground. So it didn't go out until Monday.
4) The Fuji repair website for repair status provides no useful information, you have to call.
5) If you call and they say it is on the repair tech's bench and will go out tomorrow, call the next day. I believed them, waited 6 days, no camera. I called back and got the same response, but did not believe them this time.

I have other Fuji cameras, I am glad they have been working fine through this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Returned a X-E1 and purchased the X-E2., November 17, 2013
Both bodies are very good. The upgrades of the E2 are incremental and not revolutionary. While it focuses about the same speed as my X100S, don't believe the hype about its "best in class speed" etc. fact is, it's adequate for this type of camera. It still hunts in backlit, low contrast and/or low light. It's ok and I wouldn't say that it's a big problem, but don't be expecting to shoot moving objects with a lot of success unless you zone focus. The Image quality is top notch (which is my primary reason for purchasing it). Ergonomics good, dials are firmer which is an upgrade over previous model. If you have shot with a X100S, this is basically and interchangeable lens version of that body sans the OVF. Improvements could be made in the video functionality and AF speed. But I'd still give this camera a strong buy for the IQ, mechanical features and first class glass. Not replacing my DSLRs...but is definitely my carry around and vacation camera.