4.0 out of 5 stars Good adventure cam, especially for the price.
Published on August 14, 2011 by R. Zamudio

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio is out-of-sync
I got the Fuji XP20 mainly for taking videos in conditions that my Canon HD camcorder can not. On my first usage in a river rafting event, I already see the problems with this camera:

Published on July 5, 2011 by H. Wang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good adventure cam, especially for the price., August 14, 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix XP20 Blue 14 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Electronics)
I almost did not buy this camera, having read the reviews from my phone while standing in the store aisle. I figured I would give it a try and return it if I ran into the same problems. I was looking for a camera with adventure-oriented toughness at a reasonable price, and this is one of the few on the market. It seems as if most consumers are ignoring the cardinal rule regarding use of technology: You have to be "smarter" than the device you are attempting to use.

The most frequent complaint I have read is on the claim of the camera being waterproof. In response to this, I purposely pushed this camera to it's rated limit of 16 ft depths several times during scuba training and snorkeling trips without issue. I have owned $1400 diving cameras with waterproof housings, and this one takes shots and video at shallow depths just as good as the more expensive models, and without the bulkiness of a waterproof housing. I also realize how important the seals are on an underwater camera, so I regularly clean the seals at the battery compartment and apply a bit of chap stick with my pinky to keep a good pliable seal. But since this is not a full-blown underwater camera, it requires some careful handling. If you remember from middle-school science class, pressure is a measurement of force, and this camera is rated at depths where the force of water acting on the camera is roughly 7 pounds per sq. inch. This means that if the camera is exposed to a force of water greater than 7 PSI, chances are the seals will be overwhelmed and fail. This can happen while trying to take this camera surfing and having a wave crash on top of you. This can happen if you were to drop it off of a fairly high bridge into water. It can happen if it is in your pocket when you are in water and your movements are trapping and forcing water against the camera. It can happen if you are going down a fast slide at a waterpark with the camera and hit the splashdown pool with speed. This is a sensitive electronic device, and should be treated as such within what the manufacturer recommends. With this being said, the camera has worked great for me in aqueous situations. The neoprene case that was included with mine acts as a flotation device for the camera. The camera by itself will not float, but I have seen a floating wrist strap for sale that should do the trick.

I have not dropped it with the exception of it sliding off of the countertop and hitting the tile, and it still works. I guess this is not bad, considering other cameras and even higher-end mobile electronics like iPhones have sustained irreparable damage from falls of less severity.

I would say the dustproof claim falls under the same claim of waterproof since it relies on the same seals. Havent had to test it, but it is nice to be able to just rinse the entire camera under a faucet when it starts getting grimey. Just don't plan on dragging this behind a dune buggy and having a functioning camera.

The freezeproof claim is based upon battery type, which in this case is a Lithium-ion type. Lithium-based batteries are lighter than most other battery types and have greater resistance to cold. Cold temps slow the chemical reaction in batteries and causes a drop in output until they are warmed. For this reason, I use lithium-based batteries in my headlamps for hiking in cold weather. Another bonus to Lithium-ion batteries is that they last very long and do not develop a charge-memory that can cause a drop in overall charge capacity.

Picture quality is very good for a point-and-shoot. I do not use the full 14MP quality in my photos because I frequently send photos through emails, and the size of 14MP photos would clog people's inboxes and take too long to upload and download. (Grandma, get Cable. Dial-up sucks!) Even at mid-quality settings, the photos are still more than good enough to take to Costco and have made into enlarged prints. Mind you, the "intelligent" settings on most cameras cannot make up for common sense of the user. If it is dark out, and the intelligent setting is trying to use "face" mode or anything other than "night" mode, it would probably be best to override the settings manually. Don't blame the camera completely for lousy shots in lousy conditions if you do not notice it is in a mode not suited for those conditions.

In conclusion, this is a great camera that can take a bit more abuse than others on the market and has great picture quality, all for under two hundred dollars. It is nice to have a point and shoot camera that; won't be totalled by accidently falling in while crossing a river or stream, isn't at the mercy of the couple grains of sand jamming the protruding lens assembly, and won't have a near-dead battery on the slopes of a snowy mountain. As for extreme action sports in similar elements, you will most likely want a camera that has a separate housing to provide water and shock protection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine so far. Nice pictures and vide, April 12, 2011
After ruining 2 digital cameras on outdoor trips. One was sat on and one drowned under my raingear I decided to get a rugged waterproof camera for around use. I looked at all the reviews for these type of cameras. I was looking at the Pentax wp90 and the Panasonic TS2. I really wanted the Pentax WP90 but there was a lot of complaining about the image quality from the reviews. Then I looked at the Panasonic TS2 and the reviews all said great things about the images but I could not find one anywhere online for a good price. I finally was sick of reading reviews and hunting for cameras online and went to the nearest Costco and picked up a Fuji film XP20. I figured the price was right and I had 90 days to return it if I didn't like it. I just wanted a rugged point and shoot camera that can survive hiking, canoeing, and skiing. I don't plan on swimming with it. First day with it and I'll happy with this camera. Pictures and videos are great. Easy to use. Quick to get pictures. Kind of tricky to hold but still a fine camera so far. Time will tell how rugged it is but the images are good enough for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio is out-of-sync, July 5, 2011

1) I am experienced with Camera and camcorders, I know how to hold them properly. But the lens head is placed in a very awkward place, your fingers will easily cover part of the lens head. So, don't be surprised to see your fingers in the final photos and video clips. It's almost for sure that you will not get photos or videos of yourself. Because other people may not be able to hold this camera properly to take yours.

2) Hard to fine tune the zoom speed. Not convenient, but I can live with that.

3) The camera won't focus while zooming (it will focus after zooming stops). This is a typical issue with non-DSLR camera in video mode. I saw the same thing in Panasonic camera also. Not a big issue to me.

4) This is the biggest flaw, the audio is not in sync with the video. I have to turn off the audio from the video clips, and add background music when producing the final movie for the rafting trip. Even my simple Flip video camera handle this better than this Fuji camera.

5) The video quality is no way to compare with regular HD camcorder. The image is kind of grainy, even at 1pm strong sunshine with good light. Again, I can accept this since I am in a condition (around water) where normal camcorder can not be used.

6) Indoor photo quality is no way to compare with my 5-year-old 5MP Panasonic camera.
But this is OK to me since I am in a condition (around water) where my normal camera can not be used.

If this is the only camera you want to have, I won't recommend this. However, if your intend is "ONLY" to take photos, videos in conditions where your normal gears can not, then I think this Fuju XP20 is acceptable....if you don't mind the out-of-sync audio problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for surfing (nor maybe ANY action water sport), May 19, 2011
Everything about this camera makes you want to buy it -- price (Costco discount), the durability/waterproof aspect, style... then you get it home and everything seems cool -- take a few shots around the house, video your dog. Very good image quality. So next step -- take it out to do what you bought it for: water/action/rugged whatever. I took mine surfing today, first time. I read all the precautions about how to keep water out, particularly the part where the battery is housed. First thing I noticed is the strap is not meant for a water sport at all! Why didn't they include some kind of cool floating and/or rubber strap that would allow it to stay on you while you paddle or whatever? Ok, so I'm navigating the dopey regular strap, take a few shots, but then I start to realize that the button positioning and sensitivity make trying to hold it and navigate waves just stupid. It is very easy to accidentally press buttons you don't intend to, and there is no "normal" way to hold it for shooting pictures, let alone action pictures. I took a bunch of unintended videos too. The clincher was when the cover housing the battery popped open! Oops, water in the camera, game over! If this battery cover that absolutely cannot be allowed to get wet can POP OPEN during water action activity...?? Screw that! So I'm taking it back to Costco today. Fortunately, I found this out during my first 30 days. I'm going to exchange it and try again, giving the benefit of the doubt that this was a bad apple, but I'm still kind of turned off by the design and button sensitivity. I guess it was more made for Moms and kids at the beach as opposed to actual water sports. Oh well. I was actually able to salvage the sd card and look at the photos. Very nice image quality, I will give it that, though many of them have water dropplets in the shot (not sure how to prevent that). Video quality very nice, with sound too. I'd say fine as long as you aren't really going to be "rugged" with it at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars xp20 self destructs!, August 12, 2011
Like another reviewer my battery cover popped open underwater! Not cool for an "underwater" camera. The two tiny 'latch' sliders on the xp20 (one is the actual 'open' slider the other is apparently the 'lock' - the manual states both have to be set snugly against the 'closed' edge - but they are suffiently exposed to cause some slight friction to allow the hatch to literally 'spring' open) are a change from the arrangement on the xp10, not a good redesign in my estimation, after a over a hundred hours of underwater videos on the xp10 vs. less than an hour with the xp20 before the hatch opened and the camera self destructed. I bought this as a 'refurbished' unit online thru ebay, we'll see if anyone along the line is going to be 'accountable'. The picture quality underwater in 720p is very good, I like Fuji camera products, but this design needs to be rethought. If you buy one of these units, buy it from a local outlet so you can return it in person should the latch failure occur. The design of the battery/sd card 'hatch' cover makes this unit a very questionable buy if your intent is underwater shooting - good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang for the Buck, September 8, 2012
I have had this for a couple of weeks now. This is a great little camera for the price. Takes really good photos, small enough to fit into your pocket or life vest, or jacket. Battery was charged when I first got it and it still shows completely charged even after taking some video, and about 100 photos. I dropped it from 5 ft onto the concrete and watched it bounce, thinking there went $100 down the drain, and it was alive and kicking, not a scratch on it. Plunked it into water and took a photo with it. The only down side, so far, is the SD card is hard to retrieve with the battery in, but easy to put back in with the battery in. Controls are easy to get to. A little to easy, I have hit the video button more than once by accident. I got this for kayaking and outdoors stuff and it fits right into the kayak LJ and is hardly noticeable in my shorts pockets. 2 thumbs up. I had looked at more expensive ones, on review sites, and I am so far very glad I bought this. It was the 8th pick out of the 10 waterproof cameras that were reviewed, 1 thru 7 were all way more expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm xp 20, July 17, 2012
I bought my camera about a year ago and it worked fine. I was so excited about the camera and I bought the accessory kit to go with it. I took it underwater all the time which the picture quality is amazing. and even took it on vacation on a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas and Disney World and Universal Studios in Feb. I love the picture quality of this camera an the video quality. On the Fourth of July though, I accidently dropped it two feet from the ground on carpet with the extra protection the rubber piece in the accessory kit it's supposed to give, and the dang thing broke. So much for shockproof. I tried getting it fixed but getting it fixed would have cost about the same amount as the camera is worth, or I could buy a different camera, same functions, different brand, lower cost. I bought a new camera and crossing fingers this one lasts more than a year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, July 2, 2011
Purchased camera because it appeared "durable". There was nothing about this camera that I liked. Returned it to Costco. Video quality outside was poor at best. Attempted to video my daughter riding her horse during a Dressage test (very slow paced activity). It picked up reflections from trees at the other end of the court. The indoor flash light was continously on when needing to spontaneous low light pictures. I am not an avid camera/video user, I found this camera NOT user friendly. Still searching for a point and shot.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is ok, June 11, 2013
The display screen is blury and a red tone to it the moment I started to use it. I thought It was the settings but its not. It is only blurry when you are taking the pictures, but once the picture is taken it is a clear photo. I have not printed any pictures yet. I love the underwater use. This is my second underwater cameras and I have to say that Olympus was better. I now know that I should stick to a company that I have used before and prefer. As for now I will stay with this camera and whenever it dies is when I'll get a new one. I advise people not to get it.

1.0 out of 5 stars XP20 died, worst camera and waste of money, April 23, 2013
Don't waste your money on Fujifilm cameras. I bought this camera for my niece, and it died on her college research semester in Australia. She only took a couple of pictures just below the water line (around a foot) and the camera died. This camera is not waterproof as advertised, as it is advertised to work down to 16 feet. I will never buy a Fujifilm product again. I recommend folks to stay with Canon or Nikon for quality products.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›