Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon May 11, 2010
I read the negative review about the bad imaging experienced with this camera. Well, yesterday I got the camera and went about taking some test shots to check for the indicated problems. If verified, I intended to box it up and send it back. I had sort of made a mistake when ordering it, and actually thought I was ordering another Fuji model that had more favorable reviews.

Anyway, I took a bunch of pictures using many of the special features available with the camera. I was particularly attentive to shots taken at or near maximum zoom and closeups using the macros. I intentionally was a bit careless taking several shots of distinct objects using maximum zoom-- the results were most pleasing; only a couple of the 3 dozen shots were blurred. I also took aim at three of my neighborhood dog-friends who never stand still and the camera rendered them absolutely rigid. So, I rate the image stabilization as very good. The close-ups were also surprisingly good and I didn't bother with using a tripod or anything else to take the shots.

So, I have trashed the box and will keep the camera. It does a super job with the things I want it to do. Ansel Adams may have insisted upon something better, but I am very pleased with it.
22 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2010
This is the most versatile camera for the most reasonable amount of money I've ever had. Photography is a hobby for me, not a profession, so I want to be able to experiment with manual control, yet point and shoot with the family and pets so pictures will be spontaneous instead of posed. There is nothing wanting in the quality of the images. While the materials may be lighter than most high-end cameras, that's very much what I like about it. It's well-made, if almost TOO small, and you don't feel like you're dragging around a boat anchor all day. I have a more expensive "prestigious" camera, but may as well sell it for all the use it gets, because this is the one I use all the time.
on May 18, 2010
I was looking to replace the crappy Vivitar compact we bought a couple years ago. That camera just would not lock autofocus onto anything in compact florescent lighting, and was very finicky to focus in natural light as well. I wanted to get something better than a compact, and after a little bit of looking, settled onto the FujiFilm S2550HD. I have used it for a few days now, and am very happy to report that the results are very good.

I loved:
-18x zoom lens
-quickly locking auto focus
-robust selection of pre-built modes (which is how my wife will use it)
-the ability to go into manual everything (which is where I will likely be living)
-accurate color capture in outdoor daylight settings and the ability to do manual white balance in other lighting just in case the presets are off
-usage of cheap AA cells and support for vanilla SDHC cards
-bright and big 3" LCD and an electronic viewfinder when the light was too bright to use the LCD (this is where the other manufacturers have cut features)

I did not particularly like:
-only two aperture settings to select from
-results at high ISO settings were too noisy to be very useful
-lens cap was not threaded preventing attaching any filters or accessories
-only the basic manual in the box, when the full manual would have cost pennies more to include instead

I haven't tried using it for video shooting yet, but it's a good ability to have in a pinch to take some clips. The price is what sold me as well, as this model provided features that were much more in line with other bridge cameras that sold for more money. I also seriously looked at some entry level DSLR models, but could not justify the fact that I would have had to spend at least twice as much, to just get started down that path. This one versatile camera should serve us quite well compared to the alternatives during our family vacations.
on August 17, 2010
I mostly bought this camera for the 18x zoom feature; the most zoom for the money I found and though I never owned a fuji camera, I figured the Fuji was at least a pretty good camera. Was I ever shocked at the features it has for the price. I does everything and does it well. It had a ton of features and looked complicated to use at first but is one of the easiest cameras to set up and use that I've had. Just have to learn a few buttons to use it. The design of everything on the camera in ingenious, everything is exactly where it should be, easy to reach while using and feels like a real camera, not a toy. This model has a red light beam to target the subject when shooting in dark or low light situations; this can mean the difference in getting a good photo in a dark room when there is not enough light to see the subject in the display. You don't have to look at the display, press the shutter button all the way down and release, put the red beam on the subject and the camera will do the rest without you having to look at the display at all. It will give you enough time to line up your shot before taking the photo. I've gotten many more good pics using this.
The only negatives I found about the camera is that the lens cap ocasionally falls off and the strap
is a little on the cheap side; it got so twisted up I removed it. The camera itself overcomes the complaint here and a replacement strap is cheap.
The camera is good enough to use professionally, within it's abilities, and there is no way to beat this one for the price; it has many features of cameras costing much more. If I were a pro needing to use the high priced cameras they use, this Fuji would be my backup. This one's a deal.
on July 29, 2010
After owning several dslr cameras I wanted something to take quick pictures and videos of the family. This camera exceeds my expectations. The picture quality is excellent. The camera focuses quickly and provides more zoom than you will ever reasonably need. The video quality is also excellent and you can switch modes from pictures to video with just a few clicks of the control dial. The camera is not a dslr but the picture quality is on par with 90% of what you get from a dslr. Most people don't need a dslr they have just been convinced that they do.

The camera is not a substitute for a video camera. But if you need to take one device that can shoot excellent pictures and decent video - this is a great choice. I used the camera last week to video a children's program at my church. We showed the video Sunday on our 20 foot projection screen. The video and sound were great.

If I were a professional photographer I of course would not use this camera for my professional work. This camera is excellent at what it is designed to be. It is a great all around camera and video camera. The battery life is also great. I have been using the same set for the last week, with no indications of a low battery. I highly recommend the camera. OK - the lens cap is not very good - it just falls off. But that is the only fault I can find.
on November 27, 2010
Having seen a few negative reviews for this camera, I have to admit that I was a bit worried about ordering it. I took solace in the fact I could return it if it was as poor as some thought and ordered it based on the listed features. I was not disappointed! The camera has worked great so far and I've had it for about 3 weeks. I use it almost everyday.

This is not a typical point and shoot. You may have to do some of the work yourself, and learning how to get the auto focus to work is key. (It is simple, just a half press of the shutter and it will focus). This camera gives you more control but you just have to learn to use it. If you are not willing to learn, the auto features still work very well. I take most of my pics with one of the auto settings and I love the results for the most part.

You can't beat these features for this price
on November 29, 2010
Over all, I am very happy with this camera. For the money, I think it is an excellent purchase. It takes great pics, is very intuitive to use (I have yet to open the manual and I've had the camera for a few weeks now), and has many great features.

My only two complaints are that, one, sometimes it takes a little work to get the lighting and focus just right on the object you are trying to capture. And two, the zoom motor makes a pretty loud, course sounding noise that shows up clear as day in a video when being used. It's loud enough to drown out people talking to the person operating the camera.

That being said, I love the 18X zoom lens. It is awesome. And I love the overall look, feel, and size of the thing.

I'm by no means a pro photographer, I just like to take pictures now and again. For someone like me, this camera is perfect. And for only [...] bucks, it's a steal. I would imagine that to get anything better would require purchasing an SLR and spending at least 3 times that much. I am very satisfied.
on August 8, 2010
I researched cameras for about 3 months and finally decided on the Fuji. You would be hard pressed to find a camera of this quality with the features it has in any other camera especially for the price. I looked at many reviews and feedbacks and there was very little negative commentary on it. The lens cap does not stay on well but if you forget to take it off when you turn the camera on, it comes off itself which has already saved some pictures for me. We just got back from vacation and took about 700 pictures with it. Just let the camera choose the setting and you will be impressed. A high speed card is a must due to the size of the pictures, especially if you want to do the rapid shots. Very few shortcomings on this camera, but the positives definitely outweigh those.
on October 28, 2010
I bought this as a replacement for my wife's older Fuji FinePix 3800, which was a workhorse for many years.
The S2550 is a good step up, similar to operate, yet with many more 'bells and whistles'.
Only complaint: camera "wakes up" in Wide Angle mode. I would rather have it start in 'Normal' lens position.
on June 26, 2010
i read other people's reviews before buying. i realized, one should never trust other people's reviews. I personally like this camera. it's simple in operation, great exterior, fine video quality. Recommend this camera to anybody, who goes on special occasions (restuarants, parties, picnics) because it's easy to carry compared to any SLR camera and it's not that expensive in case of falls or stealing.