on March 15, 2009
Color Name: Orange
I just ordered this camera and got it today. I was a little nervous ordering a camera that was just released and had no reviews, but the fujifilm finepix z20 had such good reviews, that I decided to take a chance on the newer model.
So far everything is perfect. The battery charged quickly and setup was very simple. This camera is so easy to use, which is important to me, since I'm kind of technology-challenged. With most cameras, I have trouble navigating the menu, but this camera is very simple to work. Also, the screen on the back is very large, to make viewing the pictures easy. There is one great feature on the camera that I really like. There is a setting that when activated, will always take two pictures every time you snap a picture. One with a flash and one without, and store both for you to view. This way you never have to worry about your pictures being too dark or too bright. The pictures are crystal clear, and I'm very glad I've purchased this camera.
I can't comment on the software, as I haven't used it yet, but everything else has been great.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Pros:
Compact Size
Quality Feel
Sliding lens cover doubles as power switch
Fast LCD refresh (must be 60 hz, but only in high performance mode)
Weather Sealed buttons

Cons:
Battery Life
No full manual mode
Only 3x optical zoom
No optical shake reduction

Bottom Line: Great value for a quality feeling budget compact camera. Image quality is fine, I see no problems with smaller prints up to ISO 800, this is far better than my previous point and shoot that was half the resolution. My favorite features are the weather sealed buttons (the camera isn't weather sealed, get the Z33wp for that), but the buttons are rubber covered and liquid can't get in around them, and my other favorite feature is the high frame update on the LCD. As long as you set the menu option for high performance, the rear LCD updates very rapidly, any motion is updated instantly. This is much improved over most of the competition, but no reviews I see mention this.

Some people are complaining about the quality of the images, but either they have a bad sample or are just viewing the images at 100% on a computer monitor. Prints are fine. I will comment that the rear LCD is sometimes grainy appearing, but the final images are great. This is because the rear LCD has a high frame update, about 60 hz, and it needs to set the sensitivity very high in low light in order to show you an image at that rate, so the display comes grainy. When you take the picture it is fine.

Overall this is a pretty average performing camera that is inexpensive. It has a semi manual mode for setting your own ISO, EV compensation, but it lacks a few other options. The aperture just uses a couple values, and can't be selected manually. If you can pick this up for about a hundred bucks it is a bargain. If you get up near one hundred fifty there are probably better options available.

Update: I found the condition people must be getting grainy pictures. This camera doesn't have a powerful flash, and in a large room trying to take a picture of a subject maybe 15 or 20 ft away the flash doesn't have the power to illuminate them adequately. If you use this indoors in a dim room, it is fine at close range, but not great for a Christmas program or a picture of a presenter across the room. In these situations you might try disabling the flash.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This camera is perfect, exactly what I wanted. It looks even better in person!! I've used it out on the town, inside with flourescent lighting, and outdoors, and it's definitely 10.1 megapixels of AWESOME. You can read about all its details above (it's red-eye removal, video capabilities, etc).. but here are the items I wasn't sure about when I ordered the camera from Amazon, but was proved wrong:
1) The camera looks expensive, NOT cheap. I was worried about the little stones looking feminine or cheap, but they're very tiny and does NOT make the camera look "girly".
2) The sliding door is a great idea, because it protects the lens, and makes the camera ready to GO once you open it! Normally cameras take 10 seconds to ready to shoot (power.. ok, adjust, click, hold, wait..) Not this camera! You open the door, click the button, and view the picture within 3 seconds. It's so nice! Plus, it's ready to go AFTER taking a picture much more quickly.
3) The sliding door has a nice "click" so don't worry about it opening up in your purse/pocket... really. It's fine.
4) I love the buttons on the back of the camera--they're larger than other cameras, easy to read and press, looks more modern, etc.

So... BUY THIS CAMERA! You'll love it!
on July 24, 2009
Color Name: Orange
I just purchased this product, turns out it did not come with an Owner's Manual or Installation CD. When I first saw it I loved the color (Orange) and small, sleek style. I snapped a few pictures which looked grainy on the LCD screen- I quickly turned to the online reviews and found out this is a common complaint of this camera.. HOWEVER, once you download them onto your computer they look amazing. Well worth it for the price!
I love the flip open cover seeing as our last camera got sand in the zoo lens and ended up never working the same. This added protection is great!

One other thing that made this a 4 out of 5 star rating is having to use the USB cable to upload pictures onto the computer, which I do quite frequently. And the fact that it does not take a "normal" battery, so make sure you order an extra and keep the one it comes with charging when not in use.

Overall a wonderful camera for the price and style.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2009
Color Name: Pink
Just received this camera for my teenage granddaughter so I charged up the battery, set the camera to its highest and best settings, installed a 4GB SD card and took some sample pictures and a sample video. The picture taken outdoors was very good, sharp, clear and colorful. The picture taken inside using the flash was more grainy than it should have been as compared to my other cameras of this general P/S type, hence the loss of a star. The video this camera takes is another story, its first rate, clear, colorful, and very smooth with very good sound. Its a good camera, not great, but very small and easy to operate.
on September 13, 2009
Color Name: PinkVerified Purchase
Quality-wise, it's about what you'd expect for the money. Images are not stunning by any means, but certainly serviceable. There's no reason this should use a 10 megapixel sensor; the optics of the camera are not up to par with that resolution. Indoor shots without flash are a mixed bag, though the camera does make it pretty easy to turn the flash on and off. Bright outdoor shots do look good, as they do with most cameras.

The video feature actually surprised me; it's quite good! I haven't examined it too closely, but the video quality gives my portable Flip video camcorder a run for its money.

All in all, this has been a decent purchase. My daughter now has a nice, easy point-and-shoot camera that looks cool (pink!!!), and we're not too much poorer as a result.
on May 15, 2009
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I have looked a Fujifilm cameras for 2 years now and decided to take the plunge. I love this camera. It is eons ahead of Kodak and even the popular Nikon in the same class. Both of which I already own. The low light pictures are great! One of my frustrations with the above mention brands was that I couldn't take clear pictures of my childs performances(inside a dim gymnasium) I missed so many great shots. This camera makes it happen!! Wow! Don't second guess, just pick out your favorite color and go for it! A great deal for the $$$ too!
on May 18, 2009
Color Name: Pink
i just got this camera i took a few pictures of my son and i just love how it came out ! so sharp pics and colorful !
i love the pink and i love everything except the usb is inside the battery and its a pain to dowload pictures.
but i got this camera for really cheap and its nice and fast !

i do recommend this camera for everybody ! nice and little to carry in your pocket
ps
sorry my english. some people with no life comes in my post and insults me and think because i dont write good english makes them better. but they not better because they only ignorant people inmature and dont kwnow another language, just dirt
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: Whirl WhiteVerified Purchase
I purchased this camera for my 5 year old daughter, who had been begging for a "real" camera for quite some time. We were preparing for a trip to Costa Rica and it seemed the perfect time for such a gift.

Well I must say that we just returned from our trip yesterday and here I am now ordering this exact same camera for myself!

Both my husband and I were highly impressed with the ease of use and great pictures this camera takes. Granted - if you see yourself as some consummate photographer this is not the unit for yo - but for your average person who wants great pictures without having to fiddle with various focusing mechanisms, fancy settings, etc. this unit is perfect!

I took over my little girl's brand new camera to some extent because it was just so easy to use. By the time my husband would have his more expensive camera ready to snap I had taken several snaps on this little gem of a camera - it was great!! It has many features we didn't use - pretty much just straight forward pictures and the zoom feature was it. However just with that our holiday pictures are great. We inserted a 2GB card and took about 380 pictures and there seemed to be room for several hundred more. We were gone for 12 days, took pictures at least 9-10 days of that and only used 1/3 of the battery or so. We didn't use the software as we just insert the memory card into our laptops to upload, so can't comment on any of that.

One feature that I found especially invaluable is the built in lens cover which also functions as the on/off for the camera (camera on when you open it, camera off when you close). The beauty is that the camera lens is protected without the bother of having to use a camera case. You can carry this camera in your pocket, in your purse, on your wrist or in hand without any worry of damage. When you want to use it you just slide open the lens cover & snap your quick picture. There is no fuss or bother with a case and no long warm up period - it's essentially ready to go when you open the lens cover to turn it on. This feature quick snaps while on the go and other spur of the moment pictures incredibly easy. I didn't have to worry about damaging the lens (and especially so, I didn't have to worry about my 5 y.o. daughter damaging the lens)

At one point during our trip my 5 year old wasn't paying attention and feel down pretty hard off a curb - camera and all smashing to the pavement. The camera took a what seemed to be a hard hit on the pavement and we thought for sure it would be broken. Nope! The camera now has a little brown permanent scar on one corner from the fall, but otherwise it is completely fine. Had it not had the built in lens cover it likely would have been seriously damaged for sure, as the front is what hit when she fell.

You know why I love this thing, but what about my original purpose of having this a camera for my 5 year old?!? Well, for those considering it for kids, My 5 y.o. daughter LOVES this camera. It has been easy for her to use and carry and she loves that it isn't goofy or clunky like most kids cameras. It's also great that it takes tons of pictures as you'll likely get some odd stuff based on a 5 y/o's idea of great pictures (lovely curbs, stitching on a bedspread, dirt, and so on...). I recommend it for responsible little ones who will be able to remember to shut the lens cover (which is easy since that turns it off) after each shot to protect the lens. The point and shoot aspect is so easy even a 3 y.o. can use this camera.

All-in-all, this is a GREAT camera for responsible and smart little ones in addition to being a GREAT camera for adults! Our whole family is impressed and we will shortly own two of these once mine arrives.
review image review image review image
Color Name: Orange
Got this just the other day. Love that's it's small and takes good pictures. Only bad thing is the pause between pictures. But we can deal with that.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations