on September 9, 2010
Verified Purchase
Let me start by saying I'm not necessarily a 3d enthusiast, I wasn't all that impressed by Avatar in the theater... I'm not necessarily jumping on the 3d bandwagon because it seems to be the next big thing getting pushed by TV/display manufacturers. I am, however, a PHOTOGRAPHY enthusiast. I consider myself to be a fairly seasoned photographer -- I've got a wide variety of cameras and lenses, am members of some local photography clubs... Creative photography interests me the most. For example I have interest in things like vintage camera equipment, pinhole lenses, Lensbaby lenses, Holga cameras, etc... just all kinds of creative ways to capture things that are maybe outside of the norm.

So while I think of 3d as a gimmicky trend that has been revived by the Avatar movie, I'm also a creative photographer that was very intrigued when I heard about this camera. I bought the camera sight-unseen, basically thinking it was going to be a gimmick. However after seeing the pictures it produces I honestly, truly believe it is not a gimmick and 3d photography is going to be here to stay. It may take a while to catch on, but it's here to stay.

Once you experiment with the camera a bit you'll learn how to get the most of the 3d effect. Taking photos of things that are further away (such as landscapes, distant architecture/buildings where it's difficult to get a sense of depth), the effect is more subtle and less apparent. But taking photos of things that are reasonably close to you, and there are points of interest at different distances throughout the shot (such as a forest with trees at staggered distances away), the 3d effect is much more apparent and can be quite stunning. Either way, with a subtle 3d effect for things further away, or for a much more apparent 3d effect on things that are closer, it truly does add another dimension to your photography. You see things in the photos almost the way you do in real life.

Like all things this is just another creative tool to add to the toolkit. There are lenses for certain jobs, and there are cameras for certain jobs. The images this camera produces really have to be seen to be believed. I, as well as several others I have shown the images to, am really shocked at how well the 3d looks and am still trying to wrap my head around it and when I might want to use this new tool.

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros
---
- Reasonably compact for what it is. It's more compact than I expected. Have to keep in mind it is basically 2 cameras in 1. Most of the cameras I use (SLR's) are not nearly as compact as this so this really feels like a treat to carry around.
- Battery life in my experience has been excellent. I've seen other reviews say the battery life isn't good. I've found that not to be the case. I didn't even fully charge the battery it came with and it's lasted for hours of me messing around and testing the camera out.
- The 3d effect, when used appropriately, is really stunning.
- Camera boots up reasonably quick for a compact.
- Can easily switch between 2d/3d modes, can view 3d photos in 2d, etc.
- Can do some creative 2d photography -- having both lenses using different settings for 1 shot.

Cons
---
- You have to hold the camera in a somewhat unnatural way in order to keep fingers from getting into the shots. The lenses are both on the outer sides of the front of the camera. This is a trade-off that I completely understand as they have to have the lenses apart to get the 3d effect but also wanted to keep the camera compact.
- I've had poor results when using the Macro (close-up) functionality.
- Not a fault of the camera, but until 3d is widely adopted it will be difficult to share these photos with anyone the way they're meant to be seen.
- Prints are on the expensive side at $6.99 for a 5x7 print
- Prints are only available in 5x7. I really wish there was a larger variety of sizes available. I don't expect to get gallery-sized prints, but a little bigger than 5x7 would be nice.

So is the camera perfect? No. It's obviously a new technology and is only going to continue to get better. But for where it's at right now I am really thrilled with the camera overall and that's why I gave it 5 stars. This camera really does add a new dimension to photography that has sparked a creative bug inside of me that I haven't felt in a long time.

* UPDATE 10/4/2010 - I've got a couple observations after having spent a few weeks with the camera, taken some video, AND I just got my first order of prints.

Picture quality - I, like many other reviewers, have been "wowed" by the way the 3d pictures look on the camera's built in screen. I will agree with that 100%, however, being critical about the picture quality after reviewing it on a PC, it's really not that great. Don't get me wrong, the 3d effect is absolutely fabulous, but don't be fooled by the results you see on the camera's tiny display -- this is essentially 2 mediocre cameras stuffed in to 1 body. I can't say enough how cool the 3d effect is but the images on their own are on-par with about any other cheap point & shoot digital.

Video - very impressive. I took some video from the top of a waterfall (looking down). Stunning.

Prints - This is one area where I think a lot of other reviewers have not yet covered. I ordered 3 prints. They only come in 5x7 size. I tried to order somewhat of a variety of types of shots, just to get an idea of how they look on paper. I had no idea what to expect. Let me start by saying the prints come on a really thick paper, and it has those ridges on it -- you know, kinda like those scratchy 3d things where you can turn them to see 2 different images. Not QUITE the same, but pretty similar. Just due to the nature of the paper it is printed on a lot of the detail can be lost. So that said, I got 3 prints. Portrait - decent. Close-up shot - not good. Nature shot - awesome. The nature shot I took was from a bridge overlooking a river, with trees and such overhanging the edge of the river. The 3d effect was quite pleasing and I am excited about ordering more prints for this type of shot. Now my sample is only 3 prints, but perhaps this advice will serve someone else well. The 3d effect on the camera doesn't quite turn out the same way on a print for all types of shots.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
I am a long time fan of 3D and a geek, this camera was an excellent fit for me. It produces very clear, perfect 3D images with good depth. The 3.5 inch screen on the back is very High resolution (1.15 million pixels) and Displays 3D without the need for Glasses. The screen is suitable for Viewing 3D and can display a nice 3D "pop out the screen" effect if you compose the shot correctly. Everyone that has seen the camera's screen is amazed at the quality and 3D effect. There is nothing on the market to compare with this Fuji W3 at the moment, AIPTEK has a low end $200 3D camera and Panasonic has a $1400 3D HD video cam.

This is a good addition to anyone who has a 3D HDTV or 3D projector, considering there is very little to watch in 3D at the moment. The Footage looks very good on the big screen. I am watching it on a 100" projection Screen with Nvidia 3D vision Glasses and the effect is amazing. The Best 3D I have ever seen on the consumer market.

The price tag is a little high, it still makes great sense for anyone that has invested in a 3D TV and shutter glasses. 3D and 2D may also be displayed on a TV using the built in HDMI port on the Camera (adapter required)
Fuji also offers an expensive 3D printing service that will print 3D photos for about $7 per 5x7 print.

Videos are recorded in resolution up to 720P in 3D or 2D. They look sharp and clear. They may be converted to work with Youtube 3D very easily using the FinePix Studio software that comes with the camera. Youtube 3D let's people watch your videos in various 3D formats, with or without glasses.

I am overall very pleased with the W3

Cons:
1. Battery life is ~1 hour - Buy a couple spare batteries - they are as low as $4.00 on Amazon
2. 3D Shooting distance should be no less than 4 feet in auto mode, anything that comes in closer than 4 feet should be small and centered, it may even pop out of the screen!
3. Buy a medium - large case, the camera is a little large for a point and shoot.
4. Format the memory card once you install it, I ran into issues with videos cutting off until formatted.
5. 3D is not for everyone! Avoid the W3 If you cannot tolerate 3D..
6. The screen must be in the center of your field of vision for the 3D effect to work.
7. Video recordings cut off at 11 Minutes in HQ mode and begin a new recording. May be stitched together with software. Video Frame rate is very respectable for a flash recorder but not perfect, way better than the AIPTEK.

I have some movies on youtube 3D - converted with Stereo Movie Maker, search for JJROBOTEK FUJI
Use the 3D button on the player to pick your glasses format.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2010
I must say that I love this camera. I followed the W1 when it first came out and was waiting for it to be offered direct to the U.S. and not be an imported item from Japan. From what I have read the improvements are nice (but not significant - at least for what I have used).

I bought this specifically to go on a trip to Civil War Battlefields and take pictures. I got the camera a few weeks ahead of time and started taking pictures right away. Prior to the trip I took took about 200 hundred pictures to get used to it. During the trip I took an additional 1451, so I feel that I have a pretty good feel for its abilities.

Pro's:

As many have stated, the 3D ability is second to none. I liked being able to carry it easily (I bought a small case that attaches to my belt). The screen is large and bright and the controls are easy to learn (I have only used Canon cameras before). It worked really well when you follow the suggestions of having your principal subject about 4-8 feet and then one or two more rows of depth behind. I also found that it worked well when I am shooting down on something. An image I took on the first day of a fire hydrant shot from above at a 45 degree angle is fantastic and I was just playing, but at that angle there is something all the way from top to bottom.

The 3D lens is amazing. It is so cool to show it to people. I have not had one person that realized that I was taking 3D pictures until I showed them and all of them were just blown away with the results. Even after 1500+ images I am still thrilled with that feature.

At first my macro shots were terrible. Others have mentioned poor results. My desire was to try shooting my keyboard from close up. Since it has two lenses I got a view in one image of the left keys and in the other the right side of the keyboard. Obviously not what I wanted. I did not think that I would be able to use it for macro work until I found the Advanced 3D option. At first this seemed kind of pointless. The "advanced" mode only shoots images from one lens (left) and then you have to manually move the camera to take the next image. I could not believe that this was the "advanced" mode, the neat thing about the camera was the ability to do both lenses at the same time. When I applied it to macro mode though it really shined. I took a few coins and put them on the table and took an image and then moved the camera very slightly and took the next image. Using the adjustment feature to adjust alignment I got a stunning image of coins that looks like I had giant coins made for the picture! Since then I have done a lot of macro work and with careful attention to detail you can get amazing results.

I have used the movie mode, but only on a limited basis as it is not as much fun since you can not zoom and moving around makes you dizzy in 3D. The movie mode is good and works well for what it is, I just do not have that much experience.

I have found that when you take a picture it is a good idea to press the shutter 1/2 way, the image will "jump" to a 3D view and you can then frame the subject easier than if you just clicked it. Several times this has saved me from cutting off parts of my subject.

I also really love the flash. I can take a flash image and be ready for the next flash in 2-3 seconds. My Canon is much slower between shots.

2D and 3D at the same time! When you take an image, you get both a regular JPG and a 3D (MPO) format at the same time. While it is possible to turn this to save space on your memory card I find it invaluable to use to find a specific image (2D and 3D will have the same name with different extensions).

Cons:

The screen can be VERY difficult to see in bright light. I know this would defeat the purpose of 3D, but it would be nice to have a small view finder that you could put your eye up to in addition to the screen when the light is too bright. Many other cameras suffer from this same thing, and I have always bought ones that gave me a view finder option. Since there is no other 3D cameras, that was not an option.

Supplied Memory. The camera does have a built in memory but it will only last for 3-4 pictures at the largest setting. I bought a 16Gb card and have been very happy with it, but be prepared to get a card if you don't have one. To access the memory card you need to open the battery compartment this can be a little clumsy.

2D image quality. While I purchased this solely for the 3D features I was surprised at just how poor the 2D images are. I love the 3D feature, but would be sending it back if I purchased it for it's 2D ability.

Battery. Some love it some don't. I think the battery is a bit under powered. I purchased two backup batteries and often go through all of them in one day. So far (thankfully) I have not drained all of them before I had the chance to recharge. If you use flash a lot (and 3D images are best with a lot of light) you might want to pick up a few extras.

Supplied software. This is THE most useless piece of the Camera. I installed it but could not get it to show me the image in 3D! Fortunately I had Stereo Photo Maker(SPM)installed and it does wonders. I set it as my default for MPO files and I love it. I would recommend this free download for anyone with this camera. There is also a Stereo Movie Maker (same source), it works well, but is tricky to install and I do not use the movie mode that much.

The strap can be a problem. While it is nice and comfortable, it is very loose around the wrist. I actually had it slip off and drop three feet to a concrete floor (thankfully no damage). I would like to see something similar to my Canon that has a little adjustment piece that lets you tighten the strap on your wrist after you slip you hand through.

Saving/Not saving certain settings. I took a number of pictures on a tripod (inside museums) and used the 2 second delay feature. As soon as you take a shot it immediately disables this feature. That means if you are taking a series of shots you need to reset the timer every time. If you are trying to do time lapse this can be really frustrating since activating the timer bumps the camera from your desired position. I would like the feature to be active until I change it or shut the camera down. Certain other features stay even after you turn the camera off. For example the flash setting stays off until you manually change it. Nice that it did not follow the logic of the timer delay, but would have been nice if it reset when you turned the camera off. If you turn off the 3D mode it will stay off, it is a one press of the button, so it is easy to do. Movie mode is the same way.

Dial slips. A few times I found the dial slipped from the last time I took it out of the case and started it. This is annoying and caused a few missed shots.

ASA settings can be set differently for each setting of the dial. I found it crazy that I kept having to check what my settings were since they were not global to the camera.

Along those lines, it would be nice to have a remote fire option so I don't have to bump it at all. Wireless would be nice, but even a small cable would be fine.

It is easy to put your finger in front of the lens. This was my #1 reason for wasted shots. Fortunately I had gotten in the habit of holding it between my index and thumb and not gripping it on the sides like most cameras by the time I left for my trip. I did make a few mistakes, but not many.

Tripod mount is off center. Due to the placement of the battery and memory card the mount for the tripod is way off center. I do a lot of panorama work with my 2D cameras and considered doing it with this camera, but the placement of the mount is so far off that will be very difficult.

Zoom. Forget it, this is only a 3x lens. The 3D effect still works well at 3x, but you just can not get close enough. I would like an 8, 10 or 12 x optical zoom. The zoom should also be able to work in movie mode

LCD photo frame price. As of this date (October 2010) the photo frame to show images in 3D is $500! Get it to $100 and make it bigger than 8". Also, printing is difficult to find you have to use their "seehere" website and then instead of using the "prints" option you have to use "photo gifts" area to find 3D prints. I actually had to submit a help ticket to find it. Guess they don't sell a lot of images, just cameras.

Rating:

I rated this down to a 4 for two reasons:

1. The screen can be nearly impossible in bright sun. Several shots were wasted because I could not properly frame the subject.

2. 2D image quality (while not the primary use) is poor. Since the images are essentially made of a pair of 2D images I would like the lenses to be better. This is listed as a 10Mb camera, but if you want to use it in wide screen mode (default option) the camera will be lowered to a 7Mb image. In the 10Mb mode it chops it off in the viewfinder (traditional 4x3 image ratio). You think it would be 10Mb for widescreen, but its not. When I look at the results of the left and right image seperately I notice that one is slightly out of focus with the other. You don't notice it till you go to 100% of image size, but it becomes obvious when you have to manually align images.

Bottom Line:

I love the camera. Just wish some of these things had been improved from the previous version. While I noted many cons, I wanted to be objective and hope that some of these ideas will be in future versions.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2010
Verified Purchase
My great-grandfather made 3D pictures in the 1920ies. As a child I loved to look at these razor-sharp 2x2in sepia images though a wooden viewfinder. Another era came alive in front of my eyes. Almost a century later, this camera finally allows me to produce the same magic digitally. The 3D effect is stunning on the built-in 3D LCD screen, which can be viewed without special glasses.

Overall, this is a well-engineered 3D camera that feels solid and looks good. Thanks to the built-in electronics, taking pictures is a breeze, though one needs to get used to the 'rules' for producing proper headache-free 3D pictures. Basically, objects should not be too close, and foreground must be centered in the picture. Also, 3D only works in landscape mode. The FinePix includes a good tutorial to get started. Though stunning, the 3D LCD viewfinder screen must be watched with some discretion, in order to avoid getting sick. Similarly, 3D movies should be panned very slowly, so that the brain can latch on to the optical illusion. If the brain misfires, this camera will literally make you puke.

As much as I love the 3D effect, the 2D quality of this camera is poor. In fact, its the worst I have seen come out of digital camera ever in the past 10 years. The pictures are grainy and unsharp, especially in the edges. The camera has a few unique 2D modes thanks to the two lenses, but given the very poor quality that all doesn't matter much. Especially greens such as lawns do not sparkle and look unnatural.

Given the many happy reviews and the 10MP specs of the camera, I was puzzled by the very disappointing picture quality. So I did some careful testing to get to the bottom of this, taking almost 100 pictures in various different situations and light settings. First I went to BestBuy to compare my FinePix 3D to their display model. The 2D picture quality turned out to be the same, so my camera does not have a manufacturing defect.

For every picture I took with the FinePix 3D I also made a reference picture with my phone (an iPhone 4). Since the phone camera is only 5MP and has much smaller optics, one would expect better pictures from the FinePix. The opposite turned out to be the case, unfortunately. Put side-by-side on the computer monitor, the FinePix's pictures were noticeably less sharp and more grainy for both outside and inside under low-light conditions.

I also compared all possible resolution, compression and ISO settings of the FinePix. Despite trying hard, I was not able to get sharper pictures out of the FinePix Real 3D. The main settings for jpg picture files are 2MP (1.3Mb size), 5MP (2.1MB), and 10 MegaPixels (4.1MB). Put side-by-side on a big monitor, it is barely possible to distinguish between the settings.

A thing to consider is that 3D pictures and movies can only be watched on a (new) 3D TV, or on the built-in screen. 3D pictures are stored in an uncommon format that is not supported by most photo software. Luckily, the FinePix also stores a regular .jpg picture with the 3D one.

In summary: 3D is a great gimmick and conversation piece, but the current price level and the awful 2D picture quality make it a little hard to justify. If you like to own something unique and can spare the money, the Fujifilm real 3D is for you. For most everything else, the camera in your phone is better.

Update after a few months of use:
The 3D pictures continue to put a smile on my face, while the poor picture quality continues to annoy. The 3D effects are hit-or-miss: it is hard to predict which pictures will come out well and which simply do not work. Sometimes a few objects in the foreground add a great perspective, while in other similar shots it does not work at all. The remedy is simply to take lots of shots and toss the ones that disappoint. Shots taken through a trees against low sunlight gave very nice effects in 3D.

I also noticed that some 3D shots work better on a big 3D TV while others work better on the built-in screen. I guess it has to do with the way our eyes focus differently on a tiny screen. The only way I found to play 3D pictures on a big TV screen is by connecting the camera to the TV using an HDMI cable. This is clumsy, since the cable is shorter than the viewing distance and there is no way to group pictures. Also the camera runs on battery power, so it turns off quickly.

For the 3D effects it is very important to be aware which foreground and background objects are in the shot. In bright California sunlight the viewfinder of the camera is near/totally invisible, which makes shooting quite a gamble. To salvage this, one needs to take off sunglasses and use the left hand to put a little shade on the LCD screen.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2010
Verified Purchase
I'm a fan of all that is 3D, so I Have 55 "3D TV, games, movies, etc.. but I never imagined that I could take photos and videos in 3D, and most amazing is that everything looks 3D in the camera itself "without glasses", I don't know how Fujifilm make this happen but is AMAZING lol.

Is amazing how much fun it is to take pictures and videos of everything you want and enjoy this amazing technology.
when I pay $500 for this camera, I was a little scared by that purchase high-priced, but when I start using the camera and started taking pictures, I just said WOW so many times, I can now say that is one of my best buys I've done. if you're looking for something like this, don't even think about it, GET IT, I'm not a seller I'm a very happy costumer.

And if this helps you in someway, I search on ebay, and prices are almost similar to the previous model (W1, around $500 used) so if you get bored you can sell it without losing too much (I do not think you want to sell it)

just only 3 recommendations:
1- buy a MINI HDMI cable for your TV 3D, because is not incluided and you'll need it to really enjoy everything in your 3D TV, I have to wait to get mine because I did not know about this.
2- get an extra battery, you'll need it, trust me
3- you'll need a carrying bag, you don't want this everywhere with no protection.

Cons: little things but good to know, battery life is not bad but can be better (remember is not a regular camera, use more energy) and is a finger magnet (is black)

I hope this will help you make your decision.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2010
Verified Purchase
Let me start off by saying I have been waiting for a camera like this ever since I first rigged my own custom digital stereo cameras in 2002.

Things I like:

1. It is compact. If you have ever lugged around dual camera rigs, you'll appreciate the portability of this camera. I can now take 3D pix in locations that I would never take my other rigs.

2. Most of the post processing work is taken care of in the camera. No need to adjust misalignment of the left and right images. Even the parallax can be edited in the camera. Issues with images not synced, color variations, exposure differences, and focus inconsistencies between left and right images are no longer an issue.

3. Fuji has updated their software to allow splitting of the 3D avi and mpo files into separate left and right files, which can then be edited and uploaded to Youtube and wherever else you would like to post. I can skip the Stereo Movie Maker step and bring the split video files straight into Sony Vegas.

4. Camera doesn't stand out as much as a twinned rig. Less explaining to curious bystanders.

5. The 3D display is excellent!!! I never had a preview of the stereo image before post processing. 3D was almost like the early days of digital cameras without a LCD. Framing the shot couldn't be easier. It is cool to just walk around with the camera and get a sense of the depth in different 3D compositions. I can see it being taken along with a twinned rig to frame shots, similar to taking a polaroid camera with you back in the day of film cameras.

6. Anyone with a good sense of depth perception can view the 3D effect. When I do want to show an image to someone, I don't have to take out an old anaglyph image with red/blue glasses to show them. Even my mom thinks the 3D effect and images are awesome. I really never have been able to show her the images like that before.

7. The styling of the camera is sleek. I like that fact that Fuji didn't try to make it colors that would stand out like a sore thumb or emblazon a huge 3D logo on the camera. Controls are intuitive and nicely placed.

A few things I don't like:

1. I wish the camera lens didn't have to be open when viewing photos or uploading photos to the computer. It would also be nice to turn the sound off without disabling the flash, but those in my opinion are minor issues.

2. I wish the HD video was at least 30 fps.

3. I wish the camera had a hot shoe, but a lot of compact cameras do not.

4. Battery life is an issue, especially if you use the powersave configuration that allows 3D preview. But I always buy extra batteries and chargers cheap on eBay. I received them the day before I got the camera and had them all charged up.

5. The fixed lens separation limits the range of the 3D effect. The ability to take one image then a second image moving the camera (cha cha) with alignment preview is nice as long as the subject is stationary. But I have other more complicated rigs that allow for variable stereo base.

But considering all the advantages that I see vs the minor inconveniences, I think it is the missing link in my 3D arsenal. Less technical difficulties and more production!

Mal3D on MM, Flickr, and Mal3DDD on Youtube.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2011
I just had a few tips for those who complained about image quality. If you use the camera set to "AUTO (red camera icon on wheel) you will be getting settings not optimized for the best quality. You will get ISO 800 for all pics which is very grainy not to mention smudgy in detail and you will get a lower quality setting (among other things). I used it on auto for a while and the poor quality wasn't noticeable on the small LCD camera screen, but when I went to do some 3-D printing, you could see the poor quality. So here are some tips for best image quality settings:

Try the P (program) setting, then in the MENU setting, choose ISO 100 (or 200 at the very highest). Any higher and you will not be happy with the image quality especially in darker areas. I will only use ISO 100.

Set the flash to AUTO or FORCED ON and try to shoot with as much light as possible if you don't like flash. Outdoors at night you will have to deal with grainy if you bump up to 400 or 800 or you will have to use a tripod.

Make sure you change IMAGE QUALITY to FINE (the default is normal) and for image size choose one of the 3 proportions of the "L" setting (4:3, 3:2 or 16:9)

Change FINEPIX COLOR to CHROME (C) The default is STD. This will bump up the saturation to more normal looking color.

Making these changes will result in much better quality pictures. Images using AUTO or higher than 400 ISO will look fine on the camera display, but will look like the 1st or 2nd generation of P&S digital cameras did (c 1999/2000) if you view them on your computer or print them for stereo viewing with an external viewer.

By the way, I have an older Argus stereo camera and viewer and the viewer can be used to look at prints made using the Fuji 3D W3. There is also one just like it made by Loreo.

You can DL a program like Stereo Photo Maker and you can prepare and print stereo side-by-side images from it to view with external viewers like this (file/print stereo card/size it so that the width is 152mm and crop vertically if you want a larger image).

Accessories I Recommend:
Get a second battery and a 32 GB card!

My main review overall:
I can't even describe how cool this camera is and how well it works. The creative possibilities especially with making 3D movies are endless!! I'm gonna take it over to a store with an HDMI cable where they have some 3-D TV setups now and see how they look on the big screen! I have only had it 2 days and left all the settings as default, but the quality is amazing. It's gonna be so cool taking a picture of someone with them not know what I'm doing, then turning the camera around so they can view themselves in 3-D in the viewfinder!

One thing to keep in mind is that since the camera is the main and best viewer for the pics (unless you have their 8" viewer or a 3-D TV), you will probably want to keep the images on the card rather than dumping them into the computer and clearing the card. I mean you can do this, but when you want to see them at their best, you'd have to pull them back onto the card from the computer. So get a large card so you can just archive them on it (movies and stills).

You can see them on your computer monitor by opening them in Stereo Maker (free) and using the correct colored glasses (like those that come with the movie Shrek 3-D etc) And youtube handles them, but I haven't installed any of the software that comes with the camera and I think you need to do some processing in there for them to work on youtube. But they are not very colorful when you view them with the anaglyph paper glasses.

The camera is a little slippery and isn't super-steady in the hands, so using the wrist-strap is a MUST so it doesn't go tumbling onto the ground. I did not have any problems with my fingers accidentally covering the lenses. But turning the power on was a mystery!! Took a while to find it in the manual - you slide the front top 1/2 of the camera down to turn it on, then slide it up to cover the lenses and turn the power off.

I am sort of a 3-D buff, I still have my parents old Stereo Realist camera and bakelite viewer with the old slides they took, but now it's nice to have a digital camera that can give you more control over settings - not to mention no film developing! This is a real winner/keeper!!! If you have kids you MUST have this!!!!!!!! I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 only because of the poor high ISO picture quality when viewed on a computer screen or printed.
on December 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
I am a long time stereoscopic photography enthusiast who has been waiting decades for a modern 3D camera - one that incorporates even basic technology such as autofocus or even autoexposure. There has not been a single one for ages. Then out of the blue pops Fujifilm with this masterpiece!

Considering what it holds, this is a surprisingly sleek package. It is the size of an average point and shooter, only about 1/2 an inch wider.
The screen is huge, bright and clear. A bit harder to view out in the sun though.
It is a bit of a smudge magnet - screen especially.
It initially takes practice not to cover the right lens with your finger. I put my fingers into it a couple of times (Make sure you research how to do so before you attempt to clean a delicate camera lens).
The flash can be a bit weak.
Takes longer to find focus indoors. Several pics, especially when taken by guests, have been out of focus.
When scrolling through pictures, what it shows at first looks slightly out of focus, then sharpens after a fraction of a second.
Not everyone sees the 3D. People who require strong specs seem to have the most trouble. There are simple online tests you can use to check your 3D vision.
Gas guzzler: It is barely okay for taking a night of party shots, but you definitely want to carry a backup battery or two for extended work. You also tend to review and show off the shots a lot more.
The camera does not lag on you. It will take the shot if you insist, regardless of whether the flash/focus is ready or not.
When focusing on your shot the previewing switches to 3D - very neat.

The 3D pictures are amazing and breathtaking. Plenty of ahs and gasps from people as soon as they see the pics. It has even spooked more than one person. Average for 2D.. but why would you want to go there :-) ? Anyway, buy this camera primarily for its 3D abilities, not its (acceptable) 2D performance.

The ideal viewing medium is a 3D HDTV. Lets put the state of 3D TV tech into perspective: 3D technology is kind of like electric power for automobiles. Just like we want an electric car that we can charge in 60 seconds and drive for 400 miles, we also want glasses-free technology for our 3D TVs. Problem is the enabling technology is just not there. If you can live within the limits of current technology, however, they are fantastic.

If you don't mind using your camera as the primary viewer, its glasses-free experience is out of this world! You will not find yourself thinking that the technology is not mature. It is magical, like something out of Star Trek!

I am honestly surprised that this camera is as cheap as it is. It is way more than simply two cameras stuck together. First of all this is a very niche camera that is not going to sell in millions to cover its hefty development price tag. Fujifilm has had to design dedicated technology and processors for this camera it cannot use elseware its range to spread the cost. The camera also uses a unique large, very high quality, and undoubtedly expensive lenticular lcd screen. The slight lag in the resolution of pictures during preview? Understandable when you consider it has 20 megapixels to chew. The short battey life? That is reasonable considering it is basically two cameras in one. That is in addition to the 3D processing overhead - kinda like a 4x4 of cameras. To keep the camera sleek the battery had to be kept small. From my use I'd say they made a great compromise.

This camera is a great complement to your 3D HDTV. No copying of files or any complicated setup business - just hook it up with a HDMI cable and play. If you have a 3D HDTV, get this camera! You can also view your 3D pictures with cheap viewers for use with standard computer monitor screens (Search Loreo).

Finding a suitable case took some research. The one I settled on is the Caselogic TBC 303 Camera/Camcorder case. It is only slightly larger than the camera, has a belt loop and a zip pocket that can hold a couple of spare batteries. Fujifilm has just released a dedicated belt pouch.

For storage I am using a Transcend 8GB class 10 SDHC card which has worked flawlessly for recording 3D HD Video. The pics and video take up far more storage than usual so make sure you buy a card with adequate writing speed and capacity.

This camera literally has no competition on the market. No other company offers such a product, which is why I am amazed Fujifilm bothered to do such a thorough job. Well done, Fuji. Buy without reservation!

** Update 12/13/2011 **
Lost my first one and bought a replacement. It came with a euro plug on charger. You can remove this euro plug to expose the us plug.

Buy a screen protector - the screen scratches very easily! First time I've felt the need for one in a camera.
on September 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
I've only had mine about a day so consider this a first impression.

First off it's pretty easy to use. Menu functions are simpler than I expected. It was faster to jump in and start poking around the menus than to try and read the manual first. When I had a question is when I referred to the manual. Even then, the quick start manual provided will often refer you to the full users manual which comes on the CD provided. Not good when your out in the field(where else are you likely to be?).

The quality of the display is astonishing. I went around the office this morning taking pictures of co-workers and even the ludites were impressed. I took a couple dozen shots inside our office most with the lights off and this camera takes great low light pictures.

Video wasn't quite as good. The PQ was ok but the video was kind of jerky. It didn't seem to be recording at full 24fps. It should work better on a tripod recording subjects moving and avoiding fast pans.

After a little trial and error I was able to view pics and video on my Mitsubishi 65C9 by connecting it to the mits 3DA-1 converter(same as you would do with any other, non-checkerboard, 3D source). I set the camera to display side by side. I also used a mini HDMI cable(not supplied)I had lying around. I doubt it was ver. 1.4 as recommended but I wasn't connecting to a 1.4 TV like most of the new LCD, LED or Plasma 3DTV's.

I didn't really like the way they designed the aux. power supply which is a proprietary device(not included)shaped like the battery that slide in place of the battery and requires you to flip open a little access flap to allow the wire to exit the camera when the battery compartment door is closed. On the other hand I rarely have need for auxiraly power but someone (a professional perhaps) might want this for studio work.

All in all I really love this camera for most of the usual 2D merits and, of course, for the very good 3D functionality.
on September 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
My father had a photographic business and I've been taking stereoscopic slides using the 5-perf and 7-perf formats sever since a youth. During that time I've used many different stereo cameras and I have a colledtion of about 50 stereo cameras from the 40s onwards, in 35mm, 16mm and 620 formats. I was a group leader of the Stereoscopic Society, a member of the 3D Society, and one of the founder members of Internation Stereoscopic Union. I have also shot many hours of stereoscopic movies using a Bolex H16 16mm camera and the Bolex Stereo Attachment. So you can see that I know what I'm talking about.

What I wanted from a camera was one capable of taking digital stereo pairs, preferably in widescreen format, of the quality that I could get with a 35mm stereo camera, and this camera does just that. It's one of the few digital stereo cameras which has an inter-lens separation similar to one's interocular separation, and that makes all the difference. Most of the other digital stereo cameras have a much smaller separation, creating hypostereo, which is the effect of looking at an image the way an animal with much smaller interocular separation, such as a cat, would see the object. Adverts will tell you that a smaller separation helps with close-ups, but don't believe it. If you want to use a different inter-lens separation this camera allows you to do it, by taking left and right images separately if you want to. Of course, you have to make sure that nothing moves between exposures.

This camera takes a stereo pair and a regular .jpg image simultaneously, which means you don't have to carry two cameras around for that occasional 2D shot. Just shoot away and you have both formats available.

I cannot say too much about this camera. It does everything that I want of it. I've read reports that the images are not as sharp as regular non-stereo cameras. Well, you would have to use a magnifying glass to see that. I've used a Nikon digital SLR for years, and I defy anyone to tell the difference between images shot on the Nikon and the FinePix. W3.

There's not an enormous zoom, but anyone who has taken stereos in the 35mm film days will know that no 35mm stereo cameras ever had a zoom at all, for the simple reason that using a zoom in 3D gives a false perspective.

The camera is small enough to slip in the pocket yet has enough weight to it that it doesn't shake around in your hands and give you blurred images.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations