5.0 out of 5 stars Review by early owner and non professional
I got the camers 3/15/13 and so far I am impressed. I am not a pro photographer but I do make software for a living. We make a product called iWatermark for Mac, Win, iPhone/iPad and Android so we quite a bit of experience with cameras. If you are interested our site is available with a search of Google (reviews don't allow links).

This is my initial review. To...
Published 19 months ago by audiodude

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but NOT good image quality
Published 14 months ago by XSFOTO1

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by early owner and non professional, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 16.2MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)

This is my initial review. To get it out of the way the highlights are 50x zoom, Raw as option, video up to 440 fps (at very small rez). I've tried them all. They work as advertised and they are awesome features for a camera this inexpensive.

Features
* 16 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor. Photos look great.
50x optical zoom lens (35mm equiv: 24-1200mm). Simply awesome.
Great Optical image stabilisation
3 inch 920k dot tilting LCD screen. Love the tilting LCD very handy when shooting over peoples heads. Also for shooting at kid or pet level.
Hotshoe
920k dot electronic viewfinder (EVF)
Full 1080p HD video recording with stereo sound and at 60 fps.
ISO 100-12800
1cm minimum focusing distance
HDR & panorama modes
Full manual controls and RAW shooting
10 fps continuous shooting full rez or down to 480fps (240 x 180 pixels) or 240fps (320 x 240 pixels) or 120fps (640 x 480 pixels).
Many special effects.
Switch on Time to Taking a Photo 2.55 secs
Shot to Shot without Flash 1.4 secs
Shot to Shot with Flash 2.8 secs

I am still experimenting with the huge number of features in hardware and software of the camera and will report back when I get some time.

It is the most powerful, versatile and inexpensive camera I've ever owned and I would recommend it highly. I have tried all the other super zoom cameras and this is the winner for me.

PS To solve the squabble by two other reviewers the manual zoom is in the usual place by the shutter button on the right top and on the left side middle of the lens. It works well and smoothly with a bit of noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a DSLR but very, very nice, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was thrilled to be able to test and review the Fujufilm FinePix 16 Megapixel SL1000. It replaces a Canon Powershot G2 with 4 megapixels so is a huge step up for me. (And, to be admitted, a big learning curve, even though it's a "point and shoot" camera--at least for most of my photography.

First of all, do download the online extended manual since the abbreviated one included with the camera is not completely accurate. One example: when charging the battery, the included manual states the charger light turns green. Not so. The orange LED turns off. I emailed Fujifilm Support to learn this tidbit. Also, if you're not familiar with the variety of shooting modes (Auto, Advanced, Scene Position, Motion Panorama, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, Manual and Custom) the included manual provides little detail. The downloadable 127-page extended manual is a necessity. I had mine printed on both sides and spiral bound since I will be referring to it constantly until I learn each procedure.

The camera has many of the features of a DSLR, including a fantastic Fujinon 24 to 1200mm 50x zoom lens that is a combination of both spherical and ED lenses. With an aperture rating of f/2.9 - 6.5 (17 elements in 12 groups) you can count on great image quality. I've been shooting flowers in my garden and my jewelry creations using the macro in automatic mode and have been very pleased with the results. Even my hand-held shots are clear and detailed. A lever on the left-hand side controls the zoom and focus is automatic. Fujifilm offers 100x Intelligent Digital Zoom that brightens some of the darkest areas so my indoor shots are suitable for the high-quality images I need for my web page.

The FinePix SL1000 comes equipped with a high-resolution electronic view finder that makes it easier to frame subjects (something I did not have with the Canon Powershot).

I shoot mostly in JPEG (standard and fine) format but appreciate the ability to shoot in RAW. I'm still trying out the filters and the other shooting modes and will report back when I've fully evaluated these features. Also, I have not tested the HD video aspect.

I like the size of the SL1000. Weight isn't a problem, but at just under one and a half pounds, it's a bit heavier than similar cameras due to the lens, and not something you could carry in your purse.

The wide-angle LCD screen tilts to provide flexible viewing options for both high and low shooting positions, though for macro I prefer using the LCD screen in the flat position.

The pluses far outweigh the negatives. Image noise has been mentioned ISO 100., but it hasn't been a problem for me. The lens cap detaches easily and is suspended by a cord so it won't be lost. Battery life is a problem, especially when using the zoom and/or shooting in automatic mode. Fujufilm's batteries are proprietary, but they are not expensive (under $20). I suggest keeping an extra battery or two on hand if you plan to shoot a lot of pictures. Charge time is under an hour with about 90 minutes for a first-time charge.

Everything considered, I give the Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 very high marks. I love this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Photos - No Math, November 24, 2013
I love taking photographs. My photos have won prizes at the Tennessee Valley Fair. (Whoo-hoo!) Just once I'd like to say to someone, "My hobby is nature photography," and have that person reply, "Me, too. I love the intricacies found in a rose." But, no. They always reply,"Me, too. What shutter speed do you find most effective when photographing moving water in partial shade?" What's up with that? I'm not an engineer. If I wanted to spend an afternoon doing math, I'd balance my checkbook. I am the artist; the camera is the scientist. My job is to notice how beautifully the shadow of an ancient oak tree falls on the side of an abandoned house. The camera's job is to capture that image digitally, without me having to tell it how. This camera is GREAT at that. Between the scene-recognition auto button and the choose-a-scene button (parties, beach, night scenes), this camera does everything I ask, and beautifully.The zoom is awesome. When I was taking pictures of the abandoned house, I couldn't step on the porch, because it was rotten. Still, I was able to get a close-up of the brass doorknob every bit as good as if I'd gone right up to it. Without a tripod. On an overcast day. It's the perfect camera for the person who's photography skills lie primarily with seeing great pictures. I see the picture; the camera takes the picture. I love this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic zoom that's great for video. Photos are good for the price point, June 23, 2013
Length:: 9:01 Mins

The zoom on this FujiFilm camera is absolutely incredible. It's practically a telescope! I have never seen an optical zoom this good in a camera at this price point. Will it best a 1200mm lens on a DSLR in sharpness or overall image quality? Of course not. But this Fujifilm camera won't require a second mortgage either.

Photo quality is decent for its class but a little soft when using the zoom. There is very little shutter lag and the camera can fire off a number of shots in rapid succession with the continuous shooting mode. The 16 megapixel resolution gives you some additional flexibility when cropping.

But it's video where this thing really shines. Unlike some DSLRs it will continually focus (relatively quickly) while shooting. That's nice. Even when zoomed to the max images are relatively crisp, but just be sure to use a tripod. I should note that I did have some compatibility issues with Final Cut Pro X and I had to pre-encode the videos prior to ingesting for editing.

The coolest thing has to be the high speed video feature. The fastest mode will record at an amazing 480 frames per second - enough to see the world in an entirely new way. You won't get much resolution at that frame rate but nevertheless it's still amazing to see something like this packed into an inexpensive camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but NOT good image quality, August 20, 2013
Tried out this camera for a week and returned it. My comparison is to the Canon SX40 and Nikon P510, of which have both been replaced by newer models, but with little difference (same sensors). The Fuji is a camera I wanted to love for it's easy to navigate menu, buttons in the right place for quick access/change, and decent build quality. As a long time photographer, my number one priority is good image quality (IQ). As much as I tried, I could not get this Fuji to give me sharp images. At all focal length, they appear soft..some very soft. I shot in good morning and evening light, a few in bright mid-day sun, and only a few true low light shot indoors with low lighting. Macro is decent, but nothing stellar. When compared to the Canon and Nikon, the Fuji just does not have the sharp, in focus, noise free images. The Canon's and Nikon's images are visibly much better, especially if viewing on a large monitor or flat screen HD tv. One big problem with the Fuji was at full zoom length, the focus (set to center)is almost impossible to lock..it constantly moves in/out of focus..very frustrating. If very good image quality is not your first requirement, then the Fuji is a contender. But for me, and after taking shots with the Canon and Nikon, I passed on this Fuji.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive zoom!, March 23, 2013
CyberNik (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
Being skeptical about buying a DSLR (due to the cost mainly) I decided to try out this bridge camera, and I must confess I was more than impressed. The main feature of course is the unbelievable 50x zoom, which is totally stunning, and will help you take photos you could never have imagined. Photo quality is quite good, although noise does make its way into certain iso settings, but it's not that obvious and you can easily correct this by "playing" with the settings(or lighting, if possible) . The camera focuses really quickly, though in macro mode if the light is low it may have a bit of a difficulty focusing. You can set the shutter and the aperture, or just switch to auto and let the camera decide what's best for it's shot. Generally, the photos in auto mode are very good, unless you want to tweak the settings for a specific shooting. You also get many creative options, like the toy camera effect and the cross screen, among others, which can give nice creative photos without the need of additional editing. Video quality is simply amazing, and luckily the camera keeps its focus(unlike previous Fujifilm models). There is also the option of raw saving, if you have the need for it. The lcd screen is crystal clear and it can tilt so it makes taking low or high photos a piece of cake.
My only complaints:
-the proximity sensor on the eyepiece is a bit tricky because it can be triggered by your body or hand and the lcd switches off to the eyepiece, which is kind of annoying ( you can select for the lcd to be always on and render the sensor inactive, which is exactly what I did).
-the sound of focusing is apparent in videos ,like in previous Fujifilm's models.
-Battery drains quickly especially if using the zoom, so you better have a couple of extra batteries at hand.

For its features (especially the 50x zoom) and price, this is definitely a bargain. Due to the small amount of noise at certain iso settings I would give this camera 4 stars, but because of the price it is offered and the features it has, I chose to give it 5. Overall I'm very pleased with it and very happy that I bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon sx 50 watch out, May 27, 2013
The Fuji SL 1000 is a great all around camera. The construction and features are user friendly and the quality of the pictures for the money, are second to none. I also own a Nicon D 7000.
What I realy like about the Fuji is that is a lot lighter and with features that the camera offers makes it a great camera for travel.
If I realy want the best pictures quality wise then I use my Nikon, but like I said for travel and wildlife photografy I don't see any other camera comming even close to this one once again for the price. I paid a little over $ 300 in amazon. The other camera that I considered very carefuly was the Canon sx 50 but the price difference was sustancial and I went with the Fuji.Battery life is a little bit short but for a little over $ 20 you can get the Wasaby replacement batteries (2) of them plus an extra charger.
Once again I do not have any reservations recommending the Fuji SL 1000 as a secondary/Travel-wildlife camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked and Under Rated: Best Deal in its Class, Easily, October 14, 2013
Nothing competes with this camera at its current, stunning low price point of $250.

The 28.5 oz. SL1000, uses the slightly smaller 1/2.33 sensor (compared to the Fujifilm HS50), yet is still a 24-1200mm 35mm equivalent camera. It also loses 25%-30% of the HS-50's its price as well. No other name-brand camera gets you to the massive 1200mm range for $260 or less, actually $250 as this is written. No one shoots at 1200mm all the time, or even most of the time for that matter. If you want the capability to do so, the SL1000 gets you there the most affordably. It offers a larger, 3 inch 920K dot tilting LCD, a 920K EVF as well: a better treatment than several more expensive cameras in this class. Consider the Sony DSC-HX300/B 20 MP Digital Camera with 50x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (about $400 at the time of this writing) that lacks RAW, and in general isn't as competent a camera, despite its comparatively high price.

If the end use is standard prints, the internet, along with 8 x 10s from time to time, you'll be happy. Give it plenty of light, try to shoot at lower ISOs, you'll be more than happy. It is no secret that more pictures are taken every day with cellphones than with any other device. It is also no secret that sales of the smaller point and shoot cameras have plummeted, but long zoom cameras have been in demand. The SL1000 does everything that your smartphone cannot, and that's a good thing.

There are a *lot* of choices out there, but not at $250. You can also spend $360 Sony DSC-HX50V/B 20.4MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD Screen (Black) and more on pocket cameras, and more. You can spend a lot more on bridge-class cameras as well. The "Ultimate Compact Camera," according to some, is the Fujifilm X100S 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.8-Inch LCD (Silver). It is about $1300, though, with no optical zoom at all.

Just two years ago, no bridge camera with a 1200mm zoom was even available. And, whether we like it or not, two years from now there are going to be several more options that some will call significant. That's why the SL1000 makes sense. Anyone would call it a generally very good camera if you didn't know what brand it was. For $250, though, it is a screamingly good, outstandingly superb camera. It isn't necessarily the best bridge camera, it isn't, but it is the best for the least dollars. If you are willing to spend more, yes . . . the SX-50 Canon, the Fuji FinePix HS50EXR are all quite worthy of your consideration, as are the Fuji X-S1 and the Panasonic FZ-200. For the money, though, at this price point . . . the SL1000 is a lot of bang for the buck.

You'll probably want to drop twenty bucks for Pack Of 2 NP-85 Batteries And Charger Kit For FujiFilm FinePix SL240 SL260 SL280 SL300 SL305 SL1000 Digital Camera + More!! and Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E) to get up and running. The 350 shot battery life is good, compared to the Nikon P520's 200 shots for example, but use outdoors in cooler weather nerfs that a bit, and even a small amount of video can run the battery down quickly.

It is a far better-featured camera than expected, with the EVF and LCD quickly putting the more expensive Canon SX-50 and Panasonic FZ-70 units both to shame. Scoring 2,773 lines per picture height via Imatest, it is one of the sharpest len arrays ever put on a bridge camera. Nor can most bridge class cameras match the 1080p60 video capability of this economical powerhouse. It should surprise very few that this camera likes a lot of light, and if you are going to spend a lot of time at the 1000mm - 1200mm area, a good tripod is your friend. I won't suggest that this is my favorite wildlife / outdoors camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom - Black is, a far better camera for my purposes with commensurately higher price tag to go along with it.

The SL1000 delivers solidly on its intended target: a huge zoom range for not huge dollars.

Copyright 2013 by Randy Wakeman & Randy Wakeman Outdoors. All Rights Reserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars SLR features without SLR hassle and cost, July 24, 2013
W. L. Holder (Phoenix, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are many great reviews here already covering the main features of this camera, so I will keep my review of those features short. The main benefit I see of this camera is that it provides many features of a SLR, but without the associated costs and hassles.

I loved using my Cannon SLR. Though due to its cost and having to drag around all the associated lenses, I rarely take it with me when I go somewhere I may want to take photos. I seem to always take a small pocket camera with me now, as they have increased in performance massively over the past couple years. The drawback to the pocket cameras is that there is no hotshoe, the lenses dont zoom enough, or they just dont have the features I like about the SLR's. This camera is the answer to that. There are no lenses to change or drag around, yet you get excellent wide angle and zoom capability beyond what I have seen in any pocket camera. There is a hotshoe in case you want to use a quality external flash, as the built in flash on pocket cameras are usually lacking. In short, this is the perfect 'missing link' between a SLR and a pocket camera.

The zoon is excellent, as is the wide angle setting. With the image stabilizing, it takes quality photos even at higher zoom rates. You will still need a rest or tripod for ultrazoom photos to be at their best though.

Battery life seems to be typical of most cameras, nothing to exclaim or complain about there. The weight is nice, enough to be stable in your hand but not enough to make your wrist or elbow tire if shooting for a long session. The overall build quality seems good.

If you are like me and prefer using SLR type camers, but dont want to risk taking an expensive SLR with you certain places, or dont want to invest in thousands of dollars worth of lenses, but dont want to revert to using a pocket camera for everything, this is a great option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mid-level super zoom bridge camera., June 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 is Fuji's mid-level super zoom bridge camera. The S series is a notch below Fuji's high-end HS series of bridge cameras. Although it lacks some of the settings and features of the HS series, the SL1000 does have some features that are impressive. The main feature is its massive 50X zoom lens. Before I go any further though, I must point out that although this camera looks a little like a DSLR, it is not. It is a bridge camera with the same tiny sensor as you average pocket point and shoot camera. It is just housed in a DSLR style body, with some extra features and a massive zoom lens. Now that we got that out of the way, on to my review. Unboxing the Fuji SL1000, I noticed that it weighs slightly less and is slightly smaller than the Fuji HS50EXR super zoom. It weighs much less than my DSLR. In the box are the usual assortment of accessories. I was disappointed that there is no lens hood. First charge of the battery took about 90 minutes. The proprietary battery is charged in a proprietary external charger. The camera itself has average build quality and is almost entirely plastic. I was disappointed that even the tripod mount is plastic. The camera's ergonomics are very good, and everything is well laid out. No SD card is included, so make sure you have one. A fast "Class 10" speed card is recommended. The SL1000 menu system is very simple and easy to figure out. The camera has a variety of shooting modes including full automatic and "manual". There are also some built in filter effects which are pretty neat. I was disappointed there were no settings to adjust the camera's Noise Reduction like there is on the HS Series. The SL1000 does have RAW Mode which is a very good thing.

I set out on a sunny day, and took over a hundred pictures under various conditions. I used several different modes and settings. I shot mostly in (P)Mode, and auto mode. I used Fine/JPEG Format, not RAW. Refresh time between shots was very fast. I noticed that when shooting in shady conditions, the camera would use an unnecessary high ISO. Sometimes 400 or higher. I turned off Auto-ISO and manually selected ISO 100 or 200 if needed. The 50X zoom lens performed well. It's incredible 24-1200mm range didn't disappoint. The 3" high resolution screen is very good. It's is clear and bright. It isn't an articulating screen though. It only slightly tilts, which I thought was kind of a weird design. While out, I also took several minutes of video to evaluate later. When I got home, I also shot a few dozen indoor pictures for testing purposes. I shot most of them in simple auto mode to see how the camera would handle low light without any help. After shooting 100+ pictures and several minutes of video, my battery still shows as full which tells me battery life is very good.

When I finished my testing, I hooked the camera up to my PC and HD Monitor using the included USB cable. Thankfully, the cable is standard and not proprietary. Once downloaded, my results generally very good. Almost all my outdoor pictures came out excellent no matter what mode I used. Details were great. Colors were accurate. I didn't notice any optical aberrations, etc. The Fuji's Image Stabilization generally did a great job, but a steady hand is needed at the high end of the zoom. The overall results were almost as good as my higher end HS50EXR, but not quite. I did notice a little image noise, especially when the camera went above 100 ISO. My indoor results were good too. Image noise wasn't bad up until ISO 400, and still acceptable at ISO 800. I have no doubt that with a little tweaking of the camera's settings, my results could be even better. My HD test video came out excellent too. It did not disappoint on my HD monitor.

The Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 is not a DSLR, and it isn't perfect. It is a very good point and shoot camera with an incredible lens though. With a little trial and error, it produces very good results outdoors, and good results indoors as long as you keep the ISO as low as possible. I recommend it.

Pros:
Incredible 50x Wide Angle Zoom Lens.
Electronic Viewfinder.
Hot shoe.
Good automatic modes.
Manual controls.
RAW Mode.
Generally very good image quality indoors and out.
Very good 1080i HD video quality.
Fast focusing and refresh time between shots.
Very good battery life.
Good value.

Cons:
Average build quailty.
Tiny 1/2.3-inch CMOS Image Sensor.
Image noise noticeable above ISO 100.
No noise reduction settings.
No lens hood and mediocre accessories.
Proprietary battery.