5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish little digicam that screams "take me outdoors!"
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:33 Mins
The Fujifilm Finepix XP10, newly available in April 2010, is a stylish little ultra-compact camera that invites you to have fun outdoors while taking pictures. It:

- is waterproof to 10 ft. under water, perfect for swimming pools, beach, snorkeling (note: do not use in hot water!)
- is shockproof up to 3 ft., great for jogging,...
Published on June 1, 2010 by Gadgester

1.0 out of 5 stars Touted As Waterproof; Warranty Says Otherwise....
Published on September 11, 2010 by Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish little digicam that screams "take me outdoors!", June 1, 2010
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix XP10 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Green) (Electronics)
Length:: 0:33 Mins

- is shockproof up to 3 ft., great for jogging, cycling, or even letting your baby learn to take pictures
- is freezeproof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 Celsius)
- is dustproof
- has 12.2 effective megapixels
- has 5x optical zoom and features a Fujinon lens for great clarity; lens focal length is 36-180mm in 35mm film camera terms
- takes 720p widescreen, VGA or QVGA video
- can zoom optically in video mode (but see note on audio recording below)
- is really small and weighs just a little over 5 oz. with battery and SDHC card
- uses SDHC memory card, no more xD that was championed by Fuji and Olympus

I bought a green XP10 because I love spending time in the water. I find that, outdoors during the day, the XP10 takes pictures with excellent clarity and excellent color saturation and contrast. Using fill-in flash in daylight truly enhances the picture. Indoors, because the XP10 lacks Fuji's legendary SuperCCD technology, picture quality is average for a compact or super-compact camera. It does have two natural-scene modes where it boosts the ISO (light sensitivity of the image sensor) at the expense of increased noise. I bought my XP10 to be used outdoors, in the pool and at the beach, so I haven't taken many indoor pics.

Video shooting at 720p yields smooth, clear HD video clips. BTW, video size is limited only by the 2GB FAT32 file size limit -- this means even if you pop in a 16GB SDHC card, the longest video clip can only go up to 2GB in file size, due to the limit imposed by the FAT32 file system. Video is recorded as motion JPEG in an AVI container, so it can be played on many, many devices, at the expense of slightly larger file sizes than a more compact format like MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

While you can zoom optically -- a feature that every digital camera should have -- audio recording's volume level is lowered during zooming. Instead, the camera picks up some noise from the lens mechanism and that noise overwhelms the ambient sounds you want to record, which can be annoying when played back on a large TV. My advise is to use zooming sparingly during video mode. If you want great video recording on a compact digital camera, you should get a Sony or Canon or Panasonic camera (be prepared to pay a lot more for the waterproof feature, though).

Anyway, my sample video clip shows how the camera works under water. The video resolution was set to QVGA (320x240) for easy upload to Amazon, but you should be able to see the amazing clarity both in and out of water.

In summary, the XP10 is a great waterproof, shockproof camera that every water enthusiast should bring along to record fun memories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Touted As Waterproof; Warranty Says Otherwise...., September 11, 2010
Took the Fuji XP10 out twice; once camping at Lake Tahoe and again at Kern River. The Fuji functioned well on the first outting, but started developing problems on the latter camping trip: moisture started developing in the lens area, causing photos to appear foggy. The display became disrupted, as the moisture that permeated the camera began to make it's way through the housing.

I sent the Fuji XP10 back to Fuji in hopes of getting it replaced, but received an invoice stating, "Water damage in camera not covered under warranty."

Um, no kidding.

The invoice also requested a payment of approximately $118 for an exchange of the same camera, with $100 of the cost going towards "labor"... Labor for what?!?! That's like buying a new XP10 with a little over a $20 discount over what I paid originally!

What's the point of marketing a "waterproof" camera, when it's not really waterproof and Fuji won't even honor the warranty to make things right? It would serve Fuji well to learn from other companies that unconditionally back the products that they sell, like Pelican Products and Strider Knives. Don't claim your product is waterproof, freezeproof, dustproof, and shockproof, unless you can back your product under warranty. I'm going to pass on Fuji's offer to exchange my camera for the $118 fee, which I can use towards an Olympus Tough camera! ;-)

As clean and compact as the Fuji XP10 appears, I will suggest to potential buyers of this camera to spend the extra money for the Olympus Tough series, which I am now considering. The Olympus Tough series may not be aesthetically pleasing as the Fuji XP10, but, like the AK-47 and Glock, the Olympus will probably work.

Buy the Fuji XP10 at your own risk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof:Yes;Good Pics: NO, June 23, 2010
Ed from Las Cruces (Las Cruces, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
Just took the new camera on a white water rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. Clearly the camera met the specs for water tightness and shock ability as this type of trip had both. Pictures were of low quality, with little ability to handle a mix of shadows and light. Shutter is slow and unresponsive to the moment. In bright sunshine, or very low evening light, the lack of a view finder rendered most pictures a pure guess. Controls at the top of the camera for on/off and snapping the picture were too low a profile to allow for handling in tough situations. Worst of all was dismal battery life--only able to get about 100-125 pictures, while carefully turning the camera off in between, before battery was exhausted. Overall--very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good little camera, with a couple of shortcomings, May 14, 2010
S. Greene (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I got this camera to replace my previous underwater / shockproof Canon D10, which died after about 8 months for no apparent reason. When I got the D10, it was the only low-cost point-and-shoot I could find for light underwater use, which made it good in its own way, but the electronics and sensor and etc. were already a couple of years out of date on the Canon, plus it was really big and bulky.

I don't do serious underwater work, but do want a camera I can take out in the rain and occasionally in a swimming pool or to the beach, without worrying about it. Also with small kids, the likelihood of a camera getting dropped is high, so a sturdy model is key.

This little Fujifilm advertises the same kind of water- and shock-proof characteristics as the Canon, but it's a whole lot more modern in its features, and a whole lot smaller, which is great. I haven't used it underwater yet, but for everyday use it takes good pictures.

A few issues I have with it. One, the cable connector is nonstandard. It should be mini-USB, like so many other things - I keep a mini USB hanging off my computer anyway, and if I lose a mini USB cable it's easy to find another, vs. the Fuji cable which doesn't match anything else I own.

Second, the mechanicals are not quite as polished as I'd like. The waterproof cover for the cable connector doesn't seat well - it's very hard to get in. And the battery cover has a strange hinge device that was confusing to figure out and I fear will not last well, since I have to open it frequently to extract the memory card, because the cable connector is nonstandard and hard to reseal.

All in all I would still recommend this camera, and I hope these few flaws get corrected in a future model.

Length:: 0:33 Mins

- is freezeproof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 Celsius)
- is dustproof
- is weatherproof except in very hot climates
- has 12.2 effective megapixels
- takes 720p widescreen, VGA or QVGA video
- can zoom optically in video mode (but see note on audio recording below)
- uses SDHC memory card, no more xD that was championed by Fuji and Olympus

I bought a green XP10 because I love spending time in the water -- and the green body looks really nice (and works whether you are a guy or gal)! I find that, outdoors during the day, the XP10 takes pictures with excellent clarity and excellent color saturation and contrast. Using fill-in flash in daylight truly enhances the picture. Indoors, because the XP10 lacks Fuji's legendary SuperCCD technology, picture quality is average for a compact or super-compact camera. It does have two natural-scene modes where it boosts the ISO (light sensitivity of the image sensor) at the expense of increased noise. I bought my XP10 to be used outdoors, in the pool and at the beach, so I haven't taken many indoor pics.

Battery life is on the short side, rated at 165 shots per charge with flash on 50% of the time. This is not surprising given the ultra-compact form factor. It's not an issue for me because I only use it at the pool (i.e., I have other cameras for other occasions); but if you plan to take it on a day trip to the beach, a spare battery is a probably a must, especially if you use the flash a lot or take a lot of HD video. BTW, regardless of the digital camera you buy, I think a spare battery is pretty much always a necessity. Fuji deserves kudos for including a very compact 100-240V wall charger.

Anyway, my sample video clip shows how the camera works under water. The video resolution was set to QVGA (320x240) for easy upload to Amazon, but you should be able to see the amazing clarity both in and out of water (allowing for artifacts introduced by Amazon's video compression).

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Waterproof, June 19, 2010
I bought this camera for the waterproof feature, for beach and snorkeling photos. I took it to the beach and within 30 minutes it broke. The camera was never more than 2 feet underwater and it never hit anything. Water began leaking in the back display screen and the camera stopped functioning. Water also got in the front lens area and battery. Fortunately I was able to get the photos I had taken off the memory card.

Picture quality was really nice and the display screen size is large for easy viewing. But if you plan on taking it in the water I suggest buying a different camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars great service on my current vacation, April 12, 2010
hard worker (tampa, florida) - See all my reviews
just bought this camera and am currently using it on my mexico vacation. the pictures are incredible. the auto setting is working fine. have tried out the low light and landscape mode and they work as advertised. i find getting the latest cameras every 2 years makes a huge difference in the image quality and features. this is a vastly better camera to use than my old sony w 170. the waterproof features a working fine so far. took the camera into the carribean sea for the past 4 days and have no problems so far. the various preprogrammed settings are doing their jobs as advertised. i use it primarily for my memories and pix log for my own use. i do not have a "pro's" perspective on image quality. for my use it has exceeded my expections. the movie mode a working to my satisfaction. i got some great video of the fort lauderdale-miami beach front from the sky from my airplane seat. the zoom function works with video too. that will be a great memory. what . took the camera over feet deep on a sea trek adventure and it did not have any problems. took the camera for a one hour snorkel adventure in my board shorts by mistake and did not have any problems with the camera. hope this is a useful review for the vast majority of the point and shoot crowd, for the rest there is always a slr, will try to post images in different settings when i get home, the hotel wifi does not let me upload pictures

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, fun camera!, May 17, 2010
Pros:
Great outdoor pics!
Great under water!
Tough
SR Auto works well
Indoor pics are fine for parties
720p HD video!
12mp!!
5X optical zoom

Cons:
Battery life!!!
Software kind of sucks
Not crisp indoor/lowlight pics (please read more about this below - it's not so bad)

So I got this camera as soon as it came out. This is my first camera actually. I never bought one before bc anytime that I want a camera I am at the beach, river, fishing, pool, drinking, etc (i live in FL). I couldn't bring myself to buy a camera that i know would break with my lifestyle. I liked the D10 but it's so expensive and I'm not gonna carry that egg thing in my pocket. The previous WP Fuji camera got pretty good reviews and I liked the sample pics people uploaded from them the most. Even more than the Olympus or Pentax. The new XP10 was about to come out with better resolution etc so I pre-ordered it.

I am very happy with this camera! It looks real nice (silver), fits in my pocket, is super tough (i've thrown it around), the waterproof is great, 5X opt zoom (great for video), HD video, and the pics look real good for my purposes. I wasn't sure about the buttons behind rubber(?) before but they click when you press them so it's nice.

I'm not a pro photographer, i'm not making posters of landscapes or anything. These pics are for facebook basically. I wouldn't have any pics at all if it weren't for a tough waterproof camera. My sister's SLR takes much better pictures indoors of my aquarium and food (we like to take pics of food we make). But this is still an awesome camera.

The battery does suck on this camera. It will only last for one day of fun. The next day it will die pretty quick if you try to keep going on it. So i'm gonna have to buy another battery or hope for an extended life one to come out :/ I've used friends' cameras that last weeks on a charge. But, they're not WP. I'll deal.

The other thing - low light pics. They don't come out crisp at all. It's not a big deal to me bc it's usually at parties when i'm drunk so it kind of captures the moment being a little warm and blurry looking. People actually seem to kind of like it. But just a warning.

Overall this is a great camera for most every situation and is a good deal at $200 (mine came with a 4gb memory card). I highly recommend :]

I can't wait to try it on my next ski trip!

I will upload sample pics.

UPDATE: The camera is still awesome. I took it snorkeling off Key Biscyane National Park. The camera held up great and the HD video of the reef is pretty cool. We went down further than 10ft a bunch of times but only briefly. That was a few months ago and the camera is still running great.

One problem: the film that gives the rubber over the buttons that matte look is peeling off. I think it's from the chlorine in the pool. I peeled it all off and it's fine now. But just a heads up.

I think the price is down to $140 w/memory card at Costco (awesome return policy). Can't beat that with a stick! My aunt went and bought one.

I'll upload some new pics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love this camera!, June 21, 2010
Length:: 0:13 Mins

Seems like several people aren't happy with this camera. I was showing my husband the reviews on here and we were really surprised by how many are disappointed with their camera. Maybe I don't expect enough however, I did drop it and it didn't break; it took great pictures in and out of the water and the video works nicely as well.

I bought this for $139 at a local warehouse club and I think it's worth every penny for the underwater pictures and video alone. We've had a blast using it!

BTW, the video image isn't grainy. Their are water sprinklers that shoot over the pool, so what you are seeing is sprinkles and not a bad video. I uploaded this video to FB and for whatever reason the FB looks clear while the same video on Amazon looks pixelated. Go figure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!, June 26, 2010
Steve (Corona, CA) - See all my reviews
Worst camera I have ever owned! The size, shape and waterproof features are great, but the picture quality is HORRIBLE! 90% of all pictures are blurry, low light quality very poor and time delay on focus is so long that you will miss every one of your shots.

Rate and Discover Movies