Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera (Green)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on May 13, 2014
I bought this at Costco before a trip to Hawaii and used it for a week with no complaint. Two years later I took it out for another trip, never getting it out of the box since the first week. I took it snorkeling and it took about twenty seconds of video before making a horrible noise and displaying zoom error ( I was not using zoom at all ). Cycled power and it came back to life for five seconds before repeating, then it died forever.
Fuji informs me it will cost between $50 and $100 to fix it, plus shipping, which approaches the cost of a new camera.

I have old point and shoot digital cameras that have lasted over ten years with no problem, and this shockproof, waterproof, etc. was only as good as a disposable, for one week. And it never was dropped or had any treatment other than normal except for using the underwater capability for snorkeling.

Since it broke after a year it is out of warranty, but it was only the second week of full use.

I would not buy any Fujifilm camera after this experience. Back to Olympus and Canon for me.
on May 1, 2012
Fuji XP50 is not a very good camera. Pictures not of good quality and blurry. When in video mode, the camera does not re-focus when you zoom in or out...only stays on the same focus where you started. Underwater screen is difficult to see....it's like a huge airpocket that you just see white/silver but not the screen with the image you are looking at.

I do not recommend this camera.
on June 30, 2014
I bought a xp50 camera for my teenager, after two weeks I bought another similar model xp55. About two months one stopped taking pictures and did only video. The other completely stopped working. I took them back to Wal-Mart. I had one receipt lost and the other was past the 30 day policy. I looked online to get Fuji's info but had a hard time. I went back to Wal-Mart and they gave me the number. I called and was told to send in both cameras even though I didn't have the receipt for one. They are almost the same camera. I sent them in and received an email for each. They would each cost $117 to fix. I can buy brand new cameras for this price. When I called to ask why I was told they made a mistake and would replace the one I had a receipt for. The other one they would not help. I felt the man I spoke to was rude and didn't care about customer service. If the cameras had different problems why was the repair price the same? I felt like they are pulling a scam and didn't care that I was a good returning customer who purchased multiple products from them. I will NEVER RECOMEND FUJI CAMERAS TO ANYONE!!
on October 23, 2013
On my second use of this camera while snorkeling it died - black screen and won't charge. This is an embarrassing product and I feel like I got taken for a ride. Buy a cheeseburger instead it will give you much more satisfaction.
on August 16, 2012
We bought this because it was the most affordable waterproof camera $134. We went on vacation with it and took some really nice, clean, HD quality video/pictures. If you go frame by frame you can see the waves water droplets coming over. At the intro page you can see my pix of a nice wave that is only 1 foot and it is breaking on the shore (just above the shin). I framed the picture and showed everyone and they said the same thing "The didn't know there were waves breaking out there." They said the waves look big and off the shore.
review image review image review image
on July 31, 2013
This $200 Camera failed following a total of 7 days of snorkeling. Fuji wanted me to send it to them for verification of the failure and an estimate of cost to repair. I indicated that under NO circumstances would I spend another nickel on the camera and asked for a refund or a replacement. They again said that I should send it in so I asked them to first tell me what the options would be if I sent in the camera and they verified that it had failed - they would NOT say what the options would be but offered to let me speak to the manager - the manager did not answer the transfered call (even though he had just spoken with the fuji customer representative (the manager likely was dodging the call). In short - I can not recommend this camera or its manufacturer. They make a false claim - the camera is NOT reliably waterproof beyond a few snorkeling trips at best. I have owned cameras for 40 years and ALL the cameras I have ever purchased still work - except this one. I recommend that anyone planning to do snorkeling chose a different camera from a different manufacturer. Best of luck to all. I give the camera a 1 star only because ZERO was not an option.
on May 15, 2013
The single, most important criteria for any camera I was considering for purchase last month was it being waterproof. If not waterproof in a pool, then it would be useless to me. I already have several non-waterproof cameras.

So this camera failed me because it is not waterproof. I have a masters in engineering, so I know how to close a slide latch, followed by another slide latch, in the proper order, which was clearly labeled on the camera. This was not an instance of user error. Based on other reviews, it was likely not just a single bad copy of the camera. Many users have reported problems with water entering the camera. The water first appeared as condensation on the back screen, then later, condensation on the lens, which renders all photos worthless at that point.

The camera is allegedly waterproof to 1/2 atmosphere (15 ft), but the camera never went to even half of that depth, and it's total time spent at anything under two feet from the surface was three seconds, at a maximum depth of seven feet. The problem might be, and I'm speculating, that normal use in a pool, with the camera attached to a wrist, creates forces greater than 1/2 atmosphere, such as stroking the water to move forward, etc. Pehaps the specs are simply not sufficient to withstand normal activity at the water's surface. I don't know other than I'm taking this one back.
on August 29, 2012
I bought this camera twice in one week after losing my Kodak Playsport in the ocean. I bought at Walmart in FL and took to the beach. Pictures were good in light and under fresh water. Terrible night shots. Most importantly, the camera failed completely the first time and continually froze on my second purchase. Way too many other cameras out there. Do not waste your money
on April 7, 2013
I have bought several allegedly waterproof cameras and always been disappointed--until now (this was much better then the panasonic lumix I bought last year, see below). I'm shocked that it's averaging about 3 stars. I can only assume some purchasers were expecting way too much. It's a point and shoot that works under water. It takes good pictures and keeps the water out. I do have to agree with one other reviewer that-surprisingly-sand seems to get caught up inside the latches and buttons a bit, but it does NOT get inside the camera, so I can't really consider that a fault.

I took this on a cruise and basically wore the thing around my neck on a lanyard for the entire week. I took pictures in the pool, the beach and snorkeling. Picture quality was extremely good. The OUT of water shots were as good as any other digital point and shoot I've used. I had NO issues with the flash as other reviewers indicated. In fact, the flash seemed very even and not concentrated in one spot which is always one of my biggest gripes with point and shoots. This would serve someone very well as a day-to-day point and shoot camera. The underwater shots were also VERY good; they were clear with good color and contrast.

I charged the battery at the end of every day and never really had any problems with battery life. On a couple of occasions I couldn't get it to shoot video due to a low battery, but it always shot pictures. It was not a significant issue.

Last year I bought a panasonic lumix for a beach trip and the thing leaked the first day or two causing me to lose photos too. What pictures I did have were mediocre.
on July 25, 2014
I would give minus stars if possible.
Just a Very expensive disposable camera.
Two years ago I sent back the first one because after one use I could not open the chamber to get out my sd card. Returned it with the assurance that my card would be returned. Otherwise I was going to use the hammer to get my card out.
Fuji sent me another camera. Worked fine on trip to Grand Cayman.
Last week we were on a 12 day cruise with snorkeling everyday. It failed on the 5th or 6th day. Even though I followed all instructions etc, it leaked. This is a cheap crap camera. Spend you money on an Olympus.