5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera; excellent pix!
Published on November 7, 2007 by Margaret H

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of S8000FD Camera
Published on November 6, 2007 by J. Dau

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera; excellent pix!, November 7, 2007
This review is from: Fujifilm Finepix S8000fd 8MP Digital Camera with 18x Optical Image Stabilization (Electronics)
I did a lot of research before purchasing this camera. My major requirements were high quality photos and a zoom lens. I finally decided on this particular camera because it looked like I was getting a lot for my money, and I believe I have. I took it on a trip within a week of receiving it and took excellent scenic photos, both close-up and with the powerful zoom, with almost no learning curve. I was pleasantly surprised that even with all of its power, the camera is not heavy and bulky, and its design makes it easy to hold. I also love the size of the screen and that I have the option of using the viewfinder or the large screen. I highly recommend this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm wins!, December 18, 2007
I was hesitant to buy the Fujifilm S8000fd because there were a few reviewers who found problems with the pictures it produced. I considered other cameras in the same genera and discovered there were a few reviewers who were not all that happy with those either. It was clear to me that pictures shot with the Fujifilm S8000fd were at least equal to those made by its competitors and it had a lot more features and capacity.

I think the people who fault the quality of photos taken with the Fujifilm S8000fd are either unable to read the instruction manual or are so "picky" about their pictures as to be neurotic. I have had my Fuji S8000fd for about a month and find the pictures I am taking are just great. I am not a professional photographer, but I have been an advanced-skills hobbyist for decades.

This is my forth Fuji digital camera and it is the best of the bunch. I researched my head off prior to buying the S8000fd and concluded that it was the best in its class and price range. There are really only three cameras currently occupying this "hybrid-SLR" group--the Fujifilm S8000 of course, the Olympus SP-560 UZ and the Panasonic FZ18. For my money--the Fujifilm S8000fd wins.

By the way, the price on this camera on Amazon.com is almost fifty dollars cheaper than it was when I bought mine only a few weeks ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will LOVE this camera, if you know how to use P mode..., November 15, 2007
This is my first Fuji Camrea. I owned a Canon G2 for 5 years.

My Initial test on the camera was disppointing as I was shooting most pics in Low light condition in Auto Mode, P mode with very low ISO setting 100. I decided to return this camera.

Before returning I wanted to give it one more try with all combination of ISO and SP modes. I took lot of pics with differnt ISO setting in P mode and all Kinds of SP modes. In P mode I have got very good pics both in Low and Day light conditions.

Here is my recommended settings on P mode. In Bright Day lights Set ISO to 64. In low light conditions set ISO to 400 or 800 depending on the brightness of light. Set the Sharpness to HARD for Lowlight if you are lover of sharp pics. Also take pics by boosting the Exposure little bit if needed. Lowlight pics taken with these settings produced very less noise, vewing 100% on computer screen was not that bad at all. The Print qualtity will be still good if we stick to 6x4/5x7/8x11 size.

Get closer (4-6 Feet) to the object in Low light conditions even if you decide to use flash.

The AUTO and SP modes are not useful. The Pics taken with these modes shows lot of noise when viewing the Pic 100% on the computer.

Stick to P mode always in Day or Lowlight.

The Macro mode is very good, Excellent job done by the camera. I have shoot pics on morning dew set on the window in macro mode, I was stunned by the quality of the pics.

The Image Stabilizer worked very good.

The Face Detection works very well.

The N and N plus Flash is a very good feature on this camera.

WORTH THE MONEY. I cannot expect anything more on a NON SLR Camera.

This camera qualifies for 5 Star rating. I have given 4 Stars because the qualtiy of buttons feels very cheap plastic and the Battery door is very Flimsy. People with bigger fingers may find it diffcult to feel the buttons. The buttons on Panasonic FZ8 is very good.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED......

If Fuji used their Super CCD in this camera, it would be the best in the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of S8000FD Camera, November 6, 2007
I have had the exact same experience as J.Maxwell's commnets above. Bought this camera to replace a 4 year old HP with 8X zoom and 4MP. I like to take wildlife and bird photos. The new Fuji does an excellent job on scenery, but can not take as sharp of pictures as my old HP of birds. I actually used them side by side and there is a difference in sharpness. Fuji suggests that I can't use the zoom without a tripod, since I am moving more than the "advanced" image stabilization can handle. Yet my old HP will work decent within the 40 digital zoom range beyond the optical zoom when hand held. I actually had the oportunity of a lifetime last week to take several pictures of a Bald Eagle eating a road kill deer. The bird let me get to within 18 feet and I took many photos with this new Fuji. The photos came out OK, but not as clear as a photo of an Eagle from 18 feet should be. It was suggested that background was bad and the camera had trouble with focus. My comment was that it was a 2 foot tall large black and white object against a light brown background of the deer and soil. Something easily focused on that my old HP would have made beautiful and produced several perfect shots. The camera does do a super job on macrofocus mode (super close up).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mega Zoom Camera, November 14, 2007
I have had this camera for about a week, the 4th fuji I've owned and am very pleased with all it can do. The camera is quite quick, and the different continues modes allows me to not miss the shots that I may have with a slower camera. The 18x zoom is a lot of fun, I can really see this being beneficial at my kids plays and performances.
It also seems to do well with indoor lighting. I suggest that anyone who ownes this to play with the different settings because auto a lot of the time doesn't give the best results. A lot of times I have been using the P mode and lowering the AUTO ISO to 400.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Camera!, January 7, 2008
Robert Hansen (San Lorenzo, California) - See all my reviews
People who don't like this camera are either 1) Looking for the features of a high end SLR, or 2) Don't know how to use it and are too lazy to read instructions.

This is an awesome camera. The pictures, both in a macro and zoom setting, are sharp and clear and the battery life is outstanding. The camera is lightweight and easy to use. I will admit that if you are too lazy to learn how to use the camera you may have out of focus or dark pictures but once I figured it out, there was absolutely no problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd camera, October 27, 2007
I bought this camera as an upgrade to my 3.2 mp, 10x zoom Olympus c-740. However in side by side comparison the image quality was inferior. The lesson learned is that more pixels does not translate to sharper photos.The quality of the optics, sensor, and focus mechanism are more important. Other than disappointing image quality I liked the camera. It has many features, uses AA batteries, choice of different memory cards at a bargain price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Below i expected, November 30, 2007
Gogliardo72 (Campo Grande, MS, Brasil) - See all my reviews
I got the S8000fd one week ago and i still learnig all the features. The camera body is very confortable, strong and well designed, but im disappointed with the image quality. Even with firmare update (1.0.0 to 1.0.1) the images are below other cheap cameras:

- The "auto" mode works very bad to me, it produces a bit dark images, and even in very good light conditions the "auto" sets the iso too high. In indoor photos, even with the flash activated, generally the pics are taken in iso 800, and its very common take pictures in iso 200 during day light. Maybe its not a problem if you will see the photos only in your monitor or at small sizes, but if you intend to print in large sizes, the qualit will not be good;

- The sharppen is fairly, but could be better. An overview of the photos at full size in monitor, shows images a little blurry;

- The autofocus is good, but not perfect, its common to see pics out of the perfect focus;

At bottom line, i recommend a "test drive", only this way you will see if this camera will be good to you. Its true that the S8000 has a lot of good features, not a bad cam, but as i said, i was expecting a better image quality, and im not affraid to say that my old Sony P200 produces best, more sharppen and accurated photos than S8000fd. Take a look at Fuji S700 too, its cheaper and i think produces much better photos than S8000fd

PS: Sorry bad english

4.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm S8000fd, October 19, 2007
I have had the camera for 4 days, it meets my basic needs in a digital camera.

The Good:
18x Zoom, SLR like features, 8MP, regular batteries (why? this is good for travel where you are not sure if you will be able to charge the unit, just throw in or bring more batteries and you are good to go).

If you have a limited budget this camera fits between a good subcompact with some feature of a dSLR and has an all in one lens (you cannot change lenses). Overall easy to use.

The Bad:
Picture quality is ok, not great. Some functions are slow in operation.

Buy it if you want a camera that does is all, but look at the Canon S5 IS first....also uses regular batteries.

But, if you have the cash, buy a real dSLR from Canon or Nikon and then maybe spring for a good subcompact for times when you dont need to drag a full size camera around.

My suggestion is a Nikon d40x or D80 if you want to learn how to take real pics....and then a Canon Powershot subcompact.

For $327, I cant complain about the Fujifilm S8000fd, but I expected just a little better picture quality.....the Fujifilm S700 would perhaps come very close to this camera in overall functionality and the S700 is under $200 now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Camera, December 31, 2007
I absolutely LOVE the 18x zoom feature of this camera. I took a "photography spree" at the zoo with my friends to see what my camera can do. Let's just say that everyone gave up taking pictures because they couldn't zoom in as much as I could and take as good of quality pictures as I could. My friend's dad saw the pictures and videos I had taken at the zoo, and he ordered the camera RIGHT ON THE SPOT. THAT is how great this camera is. And the supermacro feature and videos are great quality. I also love how I can take pictures in a moving car (while zoomed in as much as I want) and still have the pictures look as if I was standing still the whole time. You will not regret A THING about this camera. As a photographer, I couldn't ask for more. Thank you FujiFilm!

Rate and Discover Movies