5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect
-this is my mother's account and she bought this camera for me for my graduation/birthday gift-

Published on June 9, 2010 by Vivian Advincula

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't even last 2 days
Published on June 24, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect, June 9, 2010
This review is from: Fujifilm INSTAX 210 Instant Photo Camera Kit with 5 Twin Pack of INSTAX Film (Camera)

If you're looking for an instant camera, this is definitely the one to get. The price is definitely reasonable since it comes with batteries, close-up lens, strap, and 100 wide-format exposures. The body of the camera is strong and not too fragile, but of course with any other camera, you have to be careful with how you handle it. So far, it has not given me any technical problems. The photos are bright and sharp, much like a digital but with a vintage touch. :) The photos taken outside are amazing. The only thing I don't like is that you cannot turn the flash off. It doesn't really seem to wash out photos, but when trying to photograph against a reflective surface, you want to be careful about the positioning of the camera so the flash doesn't reflect off the mirror/glass.

Other than that, it's practically perfect. It's really easy to put the film in and then you're ready to shoot. The size of the camera is probably bigger than you'd expect but it doesn't really matter that much, since it isn't too heavy and not too tiring to carry around. It's close to 6" long and 5" tall.

I have to say it's definitely a worthwhile purchase. I absolutely love it and cannot put it down, and I'm waiting to try it out on my trip to Hawaii! :) So seriously, if you're in the market for an instant camera, get this one! I recommend it 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for classic Polaroid, September 10, 2010
I actually used this for a photo guest book at my wedding. I had a table set up with some sample pictures taken by friends and a little sign telling people to please take their picture and leave it for us. We are now putting together a small scrap book with all of the pictures. I'd say there are about 60-70 photos that were taken and only 3 or 4 are bad quality and can't be used. About 10 or so are really good quality, and the rest are what you would expect from a classic polaroid. I'm glad Fuji came out with this. Great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Affordable Polaroid-type camera, June 27, 2012
I am happy with this camera. I am old enough (49) to have grown up with regular film and Polaroid cameras. We all had one as teenagers and young adults. I still have my Polaroid in my room, and would love to still use it, but real polaroid film is not made anymore, and the "experimental" film is $3.00 a shot. This camera gives me 'polaroid-like' capability for only 75 cents a shot.

So pricewise -- I am quite pleased. Photo quality -- also pleased, it's not a gajillion pixels, so don't expect that, it's different technoloty. As I am old and used old cameras, this camera is not as 'huge' as folks seem to think. I expect it's all relative and if you grew up with cameras that fit in your shirt pocket, then OK, it's huge. But if you grew up with old SLR film cameras, then it's not. The plastic of the camera does seem fragile to me (hence the 4 stars) -- so don't drop it. But at $60 or so, it could be replaced if that does happen. Picture size is decent, I'm glad I didn't get the fuji camera that takes the smaller photo's -- I'd have been disappointed.

I have listened to the advice from others, that this camera doesn't do well in low-light situations, so my first two packs of film have been shot outdoors with great results. It's a wonderful for outdoor photography. I turned the flash on for exactly one photo (my granddaughter underneath a shaded tree) and the flash washed out the shot. I took it again with the shade and no flash, and it came out better in my opinion. I have yet to take indoor photos, so I can not comment on those.

But lets get to the real reason I bought this camera --- instant photography. As I went through my photo albums earlier in the year, I saw a wonderful collection of my family photos from the 1980's through the early 2000's. Then, there was a jarring 6 or 7 year gap, with just a few random photos. They are on the computer, on CD's, on line perhaps, but they are not in my home. They are intangible blips of electrons which require technology and a password to access. They are locked away and will eventually disappear.

I know I could take the time to find them, select the best ones, print them or put them on a flash drive and have them printed out at Costco. But for some unexplicable yet human reason, I haven't done so, and I likely would not do so in the future. It's not laziness --- it's just that there are always more urgent, pressing things to get done as I work and raise a family.

So I decided to purchase this camera, keep it on the fireplace mantel for easy access, use it, and encourage my wife and daughters to also use it as they like. The photos collect on the mantel as well, next to my photo album, which is starting to come to life again.

Each photo is unique --- it's one of a kind that is not shared via a smart phone or computer or Facebook. They are personal, intimate memories of my family and friends, which reside on the bookshelf for life, forever accessible by the real world rather than the digital world.

-Shawn in Oregon

2013-January Update:

After six months or so, this is still my go-to camera for family photos. I have taken a bunch of indoor photos, and while not as vivid as outdoors, they are OK. The foreground (the people) are generally lit up and the background is dark, but such is the nature of this 'Polaroid' camera. I still recommend this camera, it still sits on the mantle where my wife and I grab it frequently. Each time I order a book or other item from Amazon, I throw in a twin pack of film for this camera as well to take advantage of the free shipping.

2014-May Update:

This camera is still working fine and taking good photos. It works as well today as it did when first purchased. I am puzzled by reviews which mention broken cameras and poor pictures. That has not been my experience..

-Shawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm Insatx 210 with 5 Twin Pack of Instax Film, June 10, 2011
After a year and a half of missing Polaroid film, I decided to look for an alternative. I knew the Impossible Project had created film, but it's about $23.00 for eight shots. They're incredibly vivid and look amazing, but my budget couldn't handle the high cost. I was very close to purchasing the Fujifilm Instax 7s, but I was unsure of the small, credit card size of the pictures. After doing a little bit more research, I found that there was the Fujifilm Instax 200 and 210.

Appearance: Yes, it's huge. After spending days looking through size comparisons, I figured it wouldn't be too big. When I received it, I thought the packaging was ridiculously big, but I then realized upon opening the box that I was met with something larger than my face. The plastic is also very flimsy. Looking through the camera, I noticed that one drop could be fatal, so I keep it in a camera bag. I was hoping that I could possibly fit my small point and shoot with it too, but it's impossible. Also, be very careful with removing the plate for changing batteries. I almost broke the little hook that snaps it in place.

Features: The ability to turn flash off or on made it for me. The lens that comes with it for portraits is also a great feature. I decided to take a picture with and without the lens, and it's definitely noticeable. However, I tried doing a double exposure, and I found it to be impossible. If I find a way to do so, I will definitely update. I generally leave the settings on normal with 3m~infinity, and it takes great pictures.

Sound: You know the sound of a Polaroid once you take the picture? It's loud and impossible to bring to small gatherings or quiet venues. I was surprised that once I took the picture, I heard a very low motor noise and nothing else.

Pictures: They really are beautiful. I've mostly used them indoors, and I'm very impressed with the quality. I'm really loving the wide screen photographs as well. As usual, I spend the first ten photographs just to learn how the settings work. I would recommend this product more for outdoor shots, whether a little overcast or sunny. There's something about the way the pictures are that makes them seem almost surreal. I say this because whenever I take a picture indoors and I have to use flash, the images turn out flat.

Price: The camera on its own is roughly $65.00. It's a bit steep considering early models of point and shoot digital cameras are the same price. But if you're purchasing this camera, you're doing it because you miss or want to learn about instant film. There's something magical about a picture being produced before your eyes. It's something tangible, one of a kind, and you almost feel like you're able to grasp moments of your own life. It's sentimental yet functional. I was very surprised by the price of the film. If you buy ten pack, you will spend about $85.00. Each shot is roughly $0.85, a steal considering you're getting a large photograph. I remember paying $25.00 for a double pack for 600 film. It still isn't cheap, but it's a major difference.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

After a very happy year with my camera, it died from water damage. I purchased another one for a friend, and his died from dropping. So beware, these are very fragile. While I wish they would make a sturdier camera, it would increase the price, and I like the price point it's at right now. I am definitely going to buy another one (I have at least fifteen packs left).

I LOVE the macro lens it comes with as well. The flash can be a little too much, so I just use a couple pieces of tape to diffuse the light.

While I do love this camera and film, I did purchase some Impossible Project film for my SX-70 and 680. The film (from 2011 - mid 2012) is really tricky sometimes. However, the quality is a lot different than the Instax film. In some ways better, because pictures come out so dreamy. In some ways worse, because I have gone through a lot of film with horrible results. It all depends on what you have the patience (and money) for. I love this camera and film and will continue to use it in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars ATTENTION retro vintage/ camera lovers!, April 5, 2011
You will love this instant camera as much as I do. I cannot get enough of it. I carry it everywhere I go because I do not want to miss out on any "camera worthy" moment. I took it to the club, parties, and gatherings -- people's jaws dropped at the sight of my GIGANTIC camera but then immediately they ask me where I get it and they want to buy it. The camera takes better picture outdoors when it is sunny -- the flash doesnt come on when there is enough light outside. It is always on and you cant turn it off. I used the normal settings for most of my pictures --> Ive experienced light and dark before but didn't have much luck. The quality of the pictures is outstanding. It is very clear, and crisp. It takes great landscape pictures -- very vivid details and a vintage feel. It has setting for short and long distance. You will have to estimate it. Since the view finder is on the left --- sometimes the composition of the picture will be a little bit off (leans on the right). I dont like the close up lens -- it does not work and it makes the picture even more blurry up close. The camera itself is big but keep in mind that it has to be in order to print out wide pictures. It is a very light camera and super easy to use. I bought this back in January and I only have 20 pictures left. I just put in my order for 100 more exposures. The film is average about 84 cent per photo which is a little expensive. I wasted about 10 films in experiencing/playing with the camera. Since I love it so much I guess it's worth it. This is the best package deal online. You will not find this anywhere else. Other websites are overpriced and a rip off (esp Urban Outfitters). I highly recommend this camera for anyone who loves Polaroid pictures or looking to document the little things in life. You will not regret it. I cant believe I didn't buy this sooner. I'm looking to buy the mini in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Fun and Totally Worth It!, March 26, 2011
I've always wanted an instant camera, so I decided to get one and after some vigorous internet searching I found out 2 things: One- That polaroids are dead (literally) and that Two- Fuji Instax was the new polaroid! Then there was the choice of MINI or WIDE, I ultimately chose Wide, and it was a GREAT choice! I really do love it, the images that are produced from this camera is almost like the quality of the digital ones and since it is WIDE it can be taken with many people in the scene and is good for landscape photos too, but one thing to watch out for is the flash, up too close or if it is too dark, the flash will go off (it always does) and may wash out the image that you're taking, although not that much, in fact it sorta gives it more of a retro- type look, which I like.

This camera is very easy to use, a click and about a short flash later your picture is taken, its quite sturdy but may be abit heavy, after putting the films and batteries in that is, the close-up lens is good, and the strap...for some reason I have no idea how to put on my camera- still figuring it out, but nevertheless still good. Lastly, about the "BIG" thing that nearly everybody mentions....its really not that big! Well, I personally don't think so, my sister thinks its HUGE but yea, probably depends on the eye of the beholder.

This camera was a great choice and a great buy, I totally love it and will probably take it with me everywhere I go from now on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Instant Camera, October 3, 2011
I absolutely love this camera. It's everything I was looking for in a modern instant camera.

Pros:
-It's big, but I think this is a plus; it makes it look unique. It also looks... well, not retro, but at least different.
-It is very easy to load the photo cartridges (Though it wasn't exactly obvious that you have to hit the capture button once, so that the camera automatically spits out the first blank plastic piece).
-The quality is amazing in my opinion; very clear. Of course, not DSLR quality: it has a rather retro feel, depending on the lighting (the more prevalent the flash lighting is in the picture, the more washed out/retro it looks). Also, mine has some very light, random vignetting and every now and then small (barely noticeable) light leaks. All things I was looking for, and they are very light effects on the picture. It doesn't affect the clarity or contrast however, which are great.
-It fits quite well in my hands, and I have pretty typical young male hands.
-It takes four AA batteries, and they seem to last quite a while (I have taken over 40 pictures with the included batteries)
-The photos themselves are very durable, which is normally assumed of instant film, but you never know.

Cons:
-Pretty awful low-light shots. Not quality-wise; actually the blacks are amazing (I guess this is just film in general). But as far as exposing dark environments, this has been my experience: after about dusk, the camera will only pick up things directly in the flash zone (so maybe like 3-6 feet max). Of course, depending on the ambient light and such.
-It is not a light camera, but not any heavier than you would think. However, the strap it comes with is too thin, and digs into my neck after several hours of walking around. For random use, it's fine.
-The film isn't exactly cheap, but it's much better than getting the 3rd-party specialty film for that camera you were probably -really- wanting

4.0 out of 5 stars Instax 210, October 28, 2010
This is a fun camera that good at taking fun pictures. If you expect 12.3 megapixel, digital quality you will be dissapointed. But if you're looking for a replacement for the old Polaroid-style instant photos, then you've found it. Just make sure you set the distance setting correctly, or your photo may be blurry. Also, the flash seems to go off on every picture, but you can put your finger over it for the close ups, when you don't need the flash.

Oh... and this camera is huge! A friend asked my if it held a CD inside.

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't even last 2 days, June 24, 2010
The camera was awesome when it worked for a little over 24 hours. After the first cartridge the camera broke and pictures no longer came out of the camera. The pictures came out good. The camera is a little big and clunky, don't know if they need all that plastic to house the electronic materials. The company was great, I sent the camera back and they refunded me the difference with no problem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Our Wedding, May 15, 2011
My husband and I really enjoyed having this camera at our recent wedding. We set out fake mustaches and goofy glasses, and our guests had fun "dressing up" and then taking quick pics with the Instax. We kept some for ourselves, and then our guests took some pictures home as momentos. Of course this isn't a highly technical camera, but we got exactly what we needed and expected. It was definitely a fun addition to our wedding recption!

Rate and Discover Movies