4.0 out of 5 stars An expensive but worthwhile accessory

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
Published on July 18, 2011 by Earl Mcgehee

4.0 out of 5 stars An expensive but worthwhile accessory, June 24, 2011
D. Frost (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The X100 is a wonderful camera with a superlative lens. This lens hood will help protect it and prevent extraneous light from degrading your shots. Plus it comes with an adapter ring that allows you to use 49mm photo filters on the lens. It's made from the same magnesium alloy as the X100 and it looks great on the camera. There are two downsides: the price, which is pretty outrageous and also the fact that you can't use the stock lens cap with this hood on the lens. The solution is to buy a cheap plastic 49mm lens cap that will snap on with the lens hood in place. I found one on Amazon for six bucks that does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, with some functional quirks... isn't that also the x100?, September 12, 2011
Took a really long time to get this lens shade was on backorder. Took about 3 months. Should be more available these days. First off I use and have this lens shade on my camera all the time. It looks great and very similar to the one on the Leica's. The function of the lens shade works well. You notice a lot less glare from the sun hitting the lens. Now the downsides to the lens shade. You can't put your lens cap back on the lens. Which means when your done shooting your lens is vulnerable. I personally don't find this an issue since the lens cap does protect the glass fairly well since it protrudes out. But dust is always going to get on it if you just leave it out on a table for a week or so. The other two cons are the biggies, When your viewing through the optical and digital range finder. You see part of the shade in the bottom right. If you use range finders with shades in the past this might be something your used too. The last is when you use the flash on camera not when its on the hot shoe. You lose part of the flash in the image. Resulting in a curved shadow in your bottom left of the image. This changes depending on distance but if your shooting someone in a bar 5 feet away from your gonna be annoyed. Solution is to just twist the shade off and put it in your pocket.

With all that said, This shade is on my camera 24/7 i think it really rounds off the look of the camera and does help in sunlight. I hardly ever shoot with the flash so I'm pretty set, the camera does an amazing job shooting in low light with low noise, haven't seen any camera that does this better. Now they just need to put the same chip in a full frame camera.

Now go out there and take some photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not totally complete; Not sure I would not buy again (read review), December 17, 2011
This product includes both an adapter ring for filters and for the lens hood. The x100 is a phenomenal camera, and being able to use filters is worthwhile. A lens hood is also worthwhile, as the camera is sensitive to flare. That said, the lens hood precludes the use of a lens cap and the adapter ring makes the front of the lens less attractive when the hood is not installed. What's worse, you have to remove the front lens ring to install the adapter ring, making loss of this item a near certainty. Overall, I feel that this is an expensive item for what it is (even though it is made of metal). I would have been satisfied if the hood came with its own lens cap. Without one, I generally don't use the combination.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, July 18, 2011
I really like the Fuji X100 camera but this lens hood was not so well designed. You must install an adapter ring to the camera then you can attach the lens hood via a bayonet mount. The resulting configuration blocks about one fourth of the viewfinder and is very distracting. When not in use the lens hood cannot be reversed over the lens. Also the lens cap that comes with the camera will not fit over the adapter or the lens hood. To use the lens cap you would have to remove the lens hood, unscrew the adapter and replace it with the original lens ring. It's all more trouble than it is worth. But if you do buy this get a 49mm snap on lens cap to use with the adapter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and recieved damaged, May 27, 2013
The item was received with the hood bent int an oval, my location makes a return expensive (freight) so I bent it back as close to circular as possible, buy the EZphoto for US$ 8 instead of this one for US$ 80, I bought both and prefer the black color of the ez photo and its round vs oval shape!

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and easy (mostly), August 1, 2012
I really liked the hood - it looks nice on the camera (very nice), is easy to fix and remove and protects the lens nicely. However, for the price you pay for it, you would expect that fuji would supply a lens cover for the changed dimensions due to the new adapter ring. Also note that it is quite hard to remove the original 'ring' in order to fix the adapter ring for the hood, but once this is done, its great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but Pricy Lens Shade, October 5, 2011
I never use lens shades as I think they are too bulky and I can use my hand or a hat to shade the lens when I need it. The reason I have this lens shade is to protect the lens and use filters if necessary. I do not like the lens cap that comes with the Fuji X100 so when carrying the camera in my Lowepro Rezo 60 there was nothing protecting the lens. What is nice with this lens shade is that even when attached I can still get the X100 in the Rezo 60 so there is no need for me to remove it. This shade is very light and has a nice fit and finish to it.

It functions fairly well as a sunshade but is too small to be completely useful. Again, you always have your hand. It does increase the ability to shoot into a quartering sun which is good because in some regimes the X100 has very ugly flare characteristics. As far as blocking the OVF, I have to admit I don't use that very much so it does not bother me. Additionally it really only blocks slightly more of the OVF than the lens already does. Overall for me a worthwhile, albeit expensive, accessory for the X100

Pros
Protects your lens
Allows you to use filters
Is easily removable and storable in a pocket
Offers some protection from lens flare

Cons
Expensive
Blocks the OVF slightly more than the lens does
Too small to offer significant lens flare protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, June 25, 2011
lao-tsu (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Fujifilm x100 camera, and I am absolutely pleased with it! There are so many wonderful things about it: it's look, it's functions, it's myriad possibilities for making great photos, etc. However, the one thing that I don't like (which isn't really about the camera and it's functions) is that I also ordered the lens hood and the case. I love the case. The only thing that bothers me is the inner black-matte coating on the inner surface of the lens hood. It is supposed to be non-reflecting, but the black coating continues to peel off. I have contacted the seller who told me that the manufacturer suggests that I use a magic marker (oil-based paint marker) and cover up the places where the matte coating has peeled off. After having paid a rather hefty price for the camera and for the lens hood I would have expected that Fujifilm would insist that this problem would be non-existent. In addition, and because this was not the case, I would have expected that Fujifilm would have immediately sent me a replacement lens hood that would not peel. However, I must say, I have not asked them to do so, but I have, as mentioned above, discussed this with seller, from whom I purchased the hood and the case through Amazon. Perhaps Amazon should insist that this problem be addressed, and that I be sent a replacement lens hood. I have to add that, in general, I am not displeased with Amazon as it is that I consider them a great on-line location from which to purchase products.
[[ASIN:B004NROYUS Fujifilm Lh-x100 Lens Hood with Adapter Ring Ar-x100 for Finepix X100.

5.0 out of 5 stars well made, January 10, 2013
Works perfectly with the Fujifilm Finepix x100. Compact. It also comes with the a little nice black pouch so you can throw the hood it when not needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Have X 100 accessories, April 25, 2012
Beautiful precision milled lens hood and adapter ring, a must have for your Fuji Finepix X 100 camera. The only reason I don't give it a five star is because it should be part of the original purchase for this fixed lens range finder.

Fujifilm LH-X100 Black Lens Hood