4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - this camera should cost more.
Update (1 Year):
----------------
After 1 year of use, I have to warn people about one thing:
(1) The Fuji X-Trans sensor/engine tends to smear details in skin tones. Skin can look very "smeared" almost like plastic. This makes me hesitant to use it for any important events where the primary subject would be people.

Shooting RAW eliminates the...
Published 14 months ago by A. Shrestha

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice pics and style. Crummy auto focus & wi-fi implementation
Update 2 : The auto focus on the videos is awful. Furthermore its has poor autofocus on close objects, even in macro mode. I took away 2 stars from my initial review.

Update 1: The wifi to phone link has proven too much of a headache and I'm getting a Eyefi Mobi to get around this issue. I like the camera but I won't be a repeat Fujifilm camera buyer...
Published 11 months ago by A. Chehrazi

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - this camera should cost more., August 3, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X-M1 Compact System 16MP Digital Camera Kit with 16-50mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD Screen (Black) (Electronics)
Update (1 Year):
----------------
After 1 year of use, I have to warn people about one thing:

Shooting RAW eliminates the smeared skin details, but then I have to spend time massaging files in Lightroom, and RAW files are around ~32mbs each. At that size, I'd rather shoot D810 RAW files.

So, for the price, my X-M1 is relegated to travel snapshots. I still enjoy using it with the Q menu because it's so flexible and easy to change settings on the fly. But anytime people are the main subject, I will not pick the X-M1 as my first choice.

(Side note: because of the X-Trans sensor's tendency to smear details in skin, I returned the X100s since I already had the X-M1 for travel. I also reduced the rating to 4-stars because of this shortcoming.)

---- END 1 Year UPDATE ----

First Impressions:
------------------
The Fuji X-M1 is an excellent camera. As the cheapest Fuji interchangeable lens camera, I was looking at the X-M1 as an introduction into the Fuji X system. This Fuji APS-C X sensor receives a lot of hype, and this camera does not disappoint. The build quality seems good and feels durable. The overall size with the kit lens is also much smaller than I had initially thought from pictures.

Out of camera JPEGS (with some slight tweaks) are very good. I'm glad that I don't have to spend as much time massaging RAW files in Lightroom.

If you're considering the following cameras, I think the X-M1 is better than the following:
* Olympus E-PM2, E-PL5.
* Fuji X20
* Sony NEX-F3, NEX-3N, NEX-6
* Panasonic GF5

The OM-D E-M5 has some unique features that may make it better for you (exceptionally good IBIS, weather sealing, EVF).

Pros:
=====
+ EXCELLENT out of camera JPGs
+ EXCELLENT control using dual dials
+ Useful Q menu
+ Easy to use regular menu
+ Good build quality
+ Fast focusing
+ Good fill-flash
+ Tiltable bounce flash
+ Fast operation
+ Customizable (I'll cover some tips later in the review)
+ Tilt Screen that can still be seen in sunlight
+ Small size
+ Custom settings on the mode dial

Cons:
=====
- No EVF/OVF
- WiFi apps don't allow control of the camera
- WiFi is pretty poor on both Android and IPhone.
- No sweep panorama
- No built in level (c'mon Fuji - this camera BEGS for a horizontal level)

Recommended Tips and tweaks:
---------------------------
* For faster AF, set the AF box size to the maximum and turn off the AF assist light.
* I recommend setting Sharpening +1 in any film mode.
* Fuji allows you to specify your tone curve. I prefer the flat look so I set Shadows -1, Highlights 0.
* If you want punchy, contrasty images, set Shadows +2, Highlights +2.
* For creamy noise free images to share on Facebook, set Noise Reduction to +2
* Be careful with Auto-ISO and DR. Auto-ISO at 6400 is useable, but DR400 will introduce noise into shadows. I stick to ISO3200 with DR200, or ISO 6400 with DR100.
* WiFi: Manual setup for PC Autosave is easier than "Simple" setup. I couldn't get "Simple" to work. "Manual" worked just fine.
* WiFi: If you use the Android app, remember you must follow the instructions on the camera EXACTLY. The modes are not interchangeable. Otherwise, the camera won't be able to connect to your device. I think Fuji can fix this and make their app more 'robust'.

Recommended settings:
-------------------------
* Portraits: Astia, Sharpening +1, Shadows -1, Highlights 0, Colors 0, Auto ISO 3200, DR200
* Landscape: Velvia, Sharpening +1, Shadows 0, Highlights 0, Colors +1, ISO 400, DR200
* Everyday: Provia, Sharpening +1, Shadows 0, Highlights 0, Colors 0, Auto ISO 3200, DR200
* Dramatic B&W: BW, Sharpening +1, Shadows +2, Highlights +2, EV Comp -2/3, Auto ISO 3200, DR200

vs. Sony NEX (NEX-F3 and NEX-6)
-------------------------------
The Fuji X-M1 blows the NEX series away. Focusing on the Fuji is faster and far more accurate. The NEX-6 focuses faster than the NEX-F3, but both are still slow compared to the Fuji X-M1. Even more important, the NEX has a tendency to focus on the wrong thing. What I mean is, you can have people in the foreground (the subject) and the NEX will choose to focus on the trees in the background. I have no idea why. The NEX-6 has a very nice EVF which the X-M1 does not have. The NEX-F3 (and replacement NEX-3N) allow you to flip the screen 180 degrees for ''selfies''. The Fuji menu is significantly easier to navigate and the Q menu makes it quick to change settings, if you need to. [As a side note, the NEX menu is incredibly frustrating for advanced users. Options are under submenus, and you need to get back to the root level to change into submenus. Furthermore, if you customise your camera buttons in PASM, those customizations don't carry into some of the other modes, like auto mode. So when you switch modes, the experience of using the camera is frustratingly inconsistent. You'll find that the buttons you customized have reverted back to their default settings. I couldn't tolerate it.]

The NEX does have very nice Auto, Intelligent Auto, and Superior Auto modes which make it easy for beginners. But for advanced users, I would recommend the X-M1 over the NEX.

vs. Micro Four Thirds (u43)
---------------------------
I highly recommend the Fuji X-M1 over *most* of the u43 cameras. It's significantly better than than the E-PL5 and GF5. However, the newer Olympus u43 cameras (OM-D E-M5, E-PL5, E-PM2, and E-P5) have very fast autofocus. In outdoors bright light, the X-M1 is nearly as fast. In indoor low light, the Olympus is significantly faster. Keep in mind that the Fuji X-M1 is still faster than the NEX in both conditions. The X-M1 beats the u43 is in image quality. The GF5 shots were only useable up to ISO800, and I recommend shooting at ISO400 or lower. The E-PL5, I kept to ISO1600. The X-M1 can easily go to ISO6400 with better quality. Although the E-PL5 and GF5 have touch screens, I find that I don't miss it. I had too many accidental shots with the touch screen enabled on the E-PL5, so I usually turn the touch screen off. Note that Olympus has a fantastic touch to shoot feature that makes it great for stealthy street shooting if you tilt the LCD up. For people who really want a touch-to-shoot touchscreen, nothing can beat the Olympus.

The Olympus cameras also tend to produce a very "yellow" image in indoor tungsten light. The Fuji colors are much more natural and realistic. In outdoor light, the Olympus is fine.

However, if budget is important, keep in mind that you can buy an E-PM2 or E-PL5 with Olympus 45mm f.18 for the same price as the X-M1. The Olympus combo will allow you take wonderful street "cinematic" shots or portraits of your friends and family.

If budget isn't a concern, I recommend the X-M1.

vs. OM-D E-M5
=============
This deserves its own subsection because the OM-D is an excellent camera that can do things that many other camera's cant. First, the OM-D has the best IBIS of any manufacturer. The E-PL5 IBIS, Canon IS, Nikon VR, Sony IS, and Fuji IS can't compare. The OM-D 5-axis IBIS is so good, it allows you to do things that you simple can't do with another camera. You can take handheld "macro" (close focus on the kit lens) video. You can shoot sharp images at 1/2 second, and relatively sharp at 1 second. Seriously. It's THAT good. That's why I can't say with certainty that the X-M1 is decisively better than the OM-D. The OM-D AA filter is relatively week, and you can get very sharp shots. This is especially evident when used with a quality lens like the Olympus 45mm f1.8 or Panasonic 25mm f1.4. Furthermore, the OM-D can be easily customized (you can even directly control your curves!) and the kit lens 12-50mm has a built in function button that allows you to set it to do useful things like 2x zoom. So in one lens, you can have 12-100mm (with 35 film equivalent of 24mm - 200mm). That's impressive.

Plus, the OM-D E-M5 has weather sealing. Although I don't use my cameras in inclement weather, it was nice knowing that the beach, dust, and rain didn't affect the OM-D.

Although the X-M1 can produce better image quality than the OM-D, the OM-D has so many features, that it needs serious consideration. The IBIS is amazing and will allow you to do things that you simply can't do with other cameras.

Between the OM-D and the X-M1, I don't know if the X-M1 is decisively a better camera. It's better in some ways and the OM-D is significantly better in other ways. I would recommend that anyone shopping for a u43 camera should consider the OM-D. Yes, it's much more expensive, but it'll give you so much flexibility and opportunity to do things that you normally wouldn't be able to do. Plus, the OM-D is built very well - it feels like small Tokina tank.

vs. Fuji X20
------------
I wasn't impressed with the Fuji X20. I returned it. The small sensor didn't produce good enough results and I felt it was only good to ISO800. The focusing was equivalently fast between the X20 and X-M1, maybe slightly faster in the X-M1. For a few hundred dollars more, the X-M1 is clearly the better buy. For a pocketable camera, the Sony RX100 I/II is probably a better camera than the X20. (I never owned an RX100 though).

I recommend the X-M1 or RX100 for slightly more money.

vs. DSLRS
---------------------
Keep in mind that DSLRS can do things that the mirrorless cameras simply can't do (yet). Continuous focusing on a DSLR is much better than even the single shot focusing on the OM-D. If you want to take pictures of moving subjects, you need a DSLR. That being said, some entry level DSLRs (ie: Canon T3i, Nikon D3200) don't have as much direct control via dual dials as the X-M1. I'm not going to debate DSLR vs mirrorless cameras in this review - both have their advantages.

The main benefit of the entry level DSLR is that they are more affordable; and paired with a cheap prime like a 50mm 1.8 or Nikon's 35mm 1.8, can teach you a lot about aperture and depth of field. You'll need to spend much more on Fuji's system to be able to do something similar. Overall, I think a DSLR offers a better introduction into photography.

vs. D90
========
You'll need to get a D90 (or better, like the D7000 or D7100) to get dual dials. (Sorry, I don't know the equivalent Canon range). The JPGS from the X-M1 are better than the out of camera JPGs from the D90. I only use the D90 up to ISO1600 and even that requires extra work with DFine after Lightroom. The X-M1 can go to ISO6400 with better quality. The X-M1 requires fewer tweaks then the D90 in Lightroom.

vs. D600
========
85mm on an FX camera is beautiful. The X-M1 can't replace something like a D600.

Overall vs. the competition
---------------------------
If you're considering an NEX or u43 kit, keep in mind that neither those nor the X-M1 are pocketable. You'll likely carry those cameras in a bag. If you want something truly pocketable, you're probably better off looking at an RX100. So if you'll be using a bag anyways, I would recommend the X-M1 over the NEX or any of the smaller u43 cameras.

I hope this review helps you decide on the X-M1. Enjoy the camera!

- Avi

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera, with some downsides for those coming from DSLRs, September 29, 2013
A. Gupta (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Background and context:

I currently own an old Canon DSLR - 1000D or similar - and had it for four plus years. So since last year I have been hunting for a replacement, one which lets me overcome the limitations of the current camera (more of that in a minute), leverages my investments in canon line-up (specifically: EF 17-40mm L, EF 50mm 1.8, EX 460 flash).

I will go through my experiments/purchases, coming from a DSLR user, share how did I end up buying the X-M1 .. and what I think about it

What was I looking for:

1. Shooting in low light - my current camera maxed out at a sort-of unusable 1600 ISO. I bought a flash and learnt how to bounce it etc - but with new cameras and capabilities, the point of flash in casual settings became less and less frequent.
2. I gained a decent bit of expertise on using manual controls - using AEV, aperture and shutter settings - and getting delicious bokeh. So advanced controls was another thing I wanted in my new camera.
3. Video capabilities: I saw sample videos of DSLR cameras - and wanted to be able to take videos with the bokeh in the background, and do low light videography with high image quality
4. More resolution: In-spite of what other people say about resolution - I like to blow up the image and look at it - admire tiny details that might be missed in the overall shot when looked on the overall photo. Obviously this depends on the shot.. but my 10MP felt limiting
5. Good image quality with JPEGs: I didn't know I felt I needed better quality at first other that low light - but didnt want to loose image quality. That said - I dont do RAW conversions - and I know I am probably not going to do it in the future either.
6. Compactness: This came in as a later requirement - when I started noticing that I would use my phone more and more, and DSLR less and less - since it just was too bulky to take around people's places or trekking. That said - initially compactness was not on top of my list
7. Compatibility with my Canon equipment: I have made a bit of investment from my perspective in Canon EF equipment from last several years - nice flash 460 EX II, EF 17-40mm F4.0 L, and my first prime - 50mm f1.8. Plus B+W MRC filters. So to me Canon was the company to go for
8. Sturdiness: I have dropped my DSLR a few times on hard surface, gone to beach-side, been in light drizzles - and that thing keeps on clicking away. Want my next one to be similarly sturdy since I seem to be getting clumsier with age.

What have I tried thus far:

I waited for a few years for a good camera. I didnt want the EOS T4i / 60D since they used the old sensor - in general if sticking with Canon - why not go full-frame, right?

So I got a EOS 6D with 24-105mm F4.0 L lens plus another full frame zoom. That thing took very nice shots - the smoothness of the image and tone of color was amazing. However, the camera system was immense, esp with three lenses to carry around, and that multiplied with the complexity - resulted in my not using the camera to even part of the potential.

The next camera I eagerly waited for was 60d's replacement - hoping for something that is sturdy and takes amazing pictures. I got the 70d soon after it was released, and tried it a bit. The camera felt better than my current camera, though nowhere as good as 6D, and images were just plain ordinary. So - returned that.

Why the XM1:

I have followed a lot of photo sites in the last several years. Steve digicams, stevehuffphoto, dpreview, dxomarks, kenrockwell... they all have different perspectives and preferences. But the Fuji X system seemed to come across as a good one to look at. I couldnt find sensor or lens ratings at DXO for the fuji system - but dpreview had great sensor ratings for jpegs, and stevehuffphoto and other sites had a lot of reviews. Many of them talked about the compactness as much as the image quality. Focus speed was an issue mentioned in all of them - so it is something I had to come to terms with.

The tough thing about the XM1 or XE1 was - there was no camera available to try out and see. Meant I had to buy it and try it out. After returning the 70d, I pretty much became open to trying out something new and compact. Along came XM1 with decent rating in dpreview, plastic body with a new cheap lens and reasonable price.

Initial impressions of XM1:

I have had it for several days now - here are my initial thoughts. Note that I will keep comparing it to Canon DSLRs time to time - though I will try to give stand-alone information on XM1 at the same time.

Handling: This camera is small and tough to hold in one hand - esp if you are coming from DSLR. There is no grip, and the plastic is a bit slippery. Even compared to point and shoot - it is tough to hold because you have the big kit lens to balance. Holding with two hands is required.

Viewfinder/screen: It obviously comes with the screen - and there is no viewfinder. That screen takes getting used to - the screen is a bit tight to manipulate and so far I have not found it as easy to move etc like say a camcorder or even the flippy screens on other cameras. The screen itself is nice and bright, and comes with good options for what kind of information would you like to see on it

Control: I am a guy - so won't read a manual - right :). Kidding aside - controls is one place that this camera is still taking a little getting used to. E.g. on P mode - how do I adjust shutter and aperture; how do I change shutter speed in movies; where was the ISO again; how do I go back to viewing pictures if I zoomed out.. This may be a factor of me learning new things when moving from DSLR, but definitely not very intuitive to operate.

OIS: The OIS works ok but not great. I consider myself a steady hand - taking photos from my hand with my DSLR with kit lens OIS with exposures around 1/8 to 1/4 seconds (maybe even 1/2 if lucky). It is not possible with this camera. Not sure if this is an OIS issue or focus issue - the OIS does not work great with video either - there is more shake when making video in this camera than Canon 6D with EF24-105 F4.0L.

Focus: Not easy to do perfectly - that's one thing I can say without sounding negative. Not having a viewfinder, and instead a small green box in the screen - takes some getting used to. The focusing itself takes time - maybe fraction of a second depending on light. It is not easy to just move quickly and take a snap - the subject has to be a little still to get a decent shot. Where to focus has also been challenging - I try to shoot a subject, but it ends up focusing on the wall painting behind. Learning to focus with this system is going to be important to getting usable shots - it is definitely way tougher to use for me than a DSLR.

Wifi: The software etc is not very friendly. On the canon - using the wifi was easy - not so here. I just use the card now. Seriously Fuji - please do a firmware and software update to get this right.

Compactness: It is tiny coming from DSLRs. Very easy to pack - though not pocketable with the zoom lens. Still - taking photos of people suddenly is not a scary thing for them. A compact holster for XM1 will be very handy - will search for it.

Sturdiness: Not tried it so far. Doesn't feel very sturdy though - I am not sure if it will survive a fall onto hard surface. So I bought an accident protection plan.

Image quality: You might be thinking - why has he given it 4 stars. This section is the reason. The image quality is worlds apart from my existing DSLR. Not surprising - since I am using a 4 year old camera with kit lens. But even then - it was a huge improvement from my original DSLR. Not just that, it is also better than the photos shot from the 70d (outdoor, indoor) which was double the price. The colors, tones, are just amazing. In fact, the quality was almost on par with the 6D with the kit L lens. Quality referred here is my own non technical judgement - blowing up the image and seeing each detail; looking at overall color of skin, sky, surroundings in the shot, seeing the clarity of the images at low light. Just the fact that I am comparing a ~700 dollar camera (the price I paid for the kit) with a $2500 kit and saying it is almost as good or better - should maybe explain what an awesome tool this is for capturing beautiful images. It definitely puts the other camera/kit lens combinations I tried in the same price point to shame.

These results are with the cheap plastic kit lens - this sensor has phenomenal reviews with prime lenses - so at some point I will get one or two of them (or maybe XF Zoom) and use those.

Overall - I am happy with this purchase, and while there may something to decide between this (XM1) and a camera three times its price (6D), for now I will happily use this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera But Not A Great Camera, August 18, 2013
After using this camera for an entire day at my brothers wedding here is my review: (Note I used a Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Compact Prime Lens the whole time.) (I am not a pro, most of my pictures are taken in automatic)

Pros: Photo quality, tilt flash, great lenses available, very cool filters built in, Fn and Q buttons, start up speed.
Cons: Occasional focus issues, grip does not feel very secure, repetitive menus,

This camera feels really well built, it feels like you have something great in your hand. The grip on this camera is not all that great, the camera just does not feel secure when you are holding it. I would like to get the additional grip handle but I do not want to increase the size of this camera. Speaking of size, even with my compact lens, don't expect to put this in any kind of pocket. I wish this camera was a little smaller. The battery on this camera lasted me most of the day, around 300 pictures. I really like the flash on this camera, you can tilt the flash up or down, so you can get very cool effects. The screen is good enough to use outdoors, and the tilt feature is great for taking overhead shots. The camera starts up quick and takes pictures very quickly as well. The pictures, when the camera manages to focus, are beautiful! I am absolutely in love with the picture quality. Well worth having compared to the drawbacks.

Update : October 5 --
So I have been shooting with this camera for a few weeks now, mainly with the 27mm lens, and I realized a few things.

Why I'm gonna keep it:
1. I love the quality of pictures, they are insanely wonderful.
2. Love some of the features - burst mode is good, Adv mode is super cool for shooting with selected colors, Q button and Fn buttons are great for switching and adjusting on the fly.
3. Wireless (once you figure it out) is cool, at a party I took a few shots and was able to send the pictures to my buddy in only a few minutes. He posted them on Facebook in no time.
4. Looks I get complements on the style of the camera and I like the look and feel now.

Why I can't wait for the XM2 or XE2:
1. No view finder is a huge issue for me, especially since the cameras focus is terrible. I tried all focus modes and they still miss the mark. Manual mode with magnification tries really hard to correct the issue but the human eye is probably best for making sure a picture is sharp. I missed some good shots and will continue to miss shots, I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannot replace a DSLR (for me) but photos are great, January 7, 2014
Lenny (FREMONT, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since almost everyone has a camera these days (including phone cameras) I see two groups of users here - those who want something lighter than a DSLR, and those who want to upgrade from a P&S.

This is my first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, and I was really interested in how it performs compared to a DLSR. I've shot DSLRs for 8 years now, and while they have been wonderful to shoot, carrying around a 15 lb backpack everywhere I go is getting to be a pain.

Unfortunately, this camera is exactly what it appears to be - better (but larger) than a P&S, not quite as capable as (but significantly lighter than) a DSLR. I've brought it along on two vacations, and used it alongside with my DSLR (Canon 5D III). They are very different classes of cameras, so I won't compare things that are obviously different (like high ISO noise performance).

Fuji has 3 different classes of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, this being the lowest end. What this lacks is an electronic view finder. It's been some years since I've used a camera with an EVF (Nikon Coolpix 5700) and I've heard that the technology has improved significantly. Perhaps a model with EVF would be more suitable for me, as it would address most of what I'm dissatisfied with this camera.

First, what I like about this camera : it takes great pictures under the right situations. What are the right situations? When lighting is decent, when your subject is close by (due to the only lens I have - 16-50mm), when you and your subject is not moving quickly. Even for indoor with flash, with the included kit lens, it works very well. The color and sharpness is excellent. I shot in JPEG and compared the result with the JPEG output of my DSLR and it compares favorably - and in a number of photos gave me better results straight out of the camera (i.e. without adjusting in Photoshop). When shooting in low ISO, under adequate light, the result is very impressive. Even more so when you consider the difference between the lens included with this kit and the ones I'm using on my DSLR (24-105 f/4L and 70-200 f/2.8L II IS).

Other features of this camera - the built in flash is decent and can be used as a bounce flash (though a hot shoe flash would be even better) and LCD can be tilted up / down (but not sideways).

Now for what I don't like about this compared to a DSLR.

1. Battery life. I took way more photos with my DSLR. Even then, I only needed to change batteries once in 23 days. With this camera, and moderate use, I had to change batteries every 2 to 3 days. The obvious culprit is the need to keep the sensor on and the LCD running. An EVF would solve part of the problem by not having to light up a 3" LCD. Get an extra battery. You need it.

2. Auto focus speed. Contrast based AF used in mirrorless cameras (and DSLRs in video / live view mode) is slower than phase detection in DSLRs. They are getting faster, but I notice that AF takes 2 - 3 times longer than with a DSLR,

3. Ergonomics. Holding a DSLR with viewfinder to eye, elbows close to body, results in a much more steady posture. Looking through the LCD, I find that I have a tendency to sway slightly forward / backwards after focus is achieved and before I press the shutter release all the way. This will probably improve with practice.

4. Need reading glasses. This is not something I had thought about before receiving the camera. With a DSLR, I have no issues viewing the scene I'm shooting through the viewfinder. With an LCD, to see things accurately, I need reading glasses. Anyone younger than 40 probably doesn't appreciate this, but those who are older will know what I mean. This makes it difficult to frame accurately.

5. Usability under bright light. Under full sun, it is pretty much impossible to view the LCD properly (though it is much more usable than, say, my phone). Again, hard to frame properly.

6. Grip - I have large hands. Not excessively large (I wear L or XL gloves) and it is rather hard to grip. Fuji has a grip that improves this, but it will block the battery compartment. You'll need to remove the grip to change batteries. And since you will need to change the battery fairly often, that's a deal breaker for me. It also costs about $80.

There are other concerns I have about this, such as lack of choice of lenses (especially in the telephoto range), and minor annoyances such as the difficulty in attaching the lens hood - especially in reverse mounting it. The lens also zooms in a different direction from Canon (but same as Nikon).

Overall, it is not a bad camera, produces excellent images, but it all comes down to alternatives.

1. For a mirrorless, I would definitely prefer one with a good EVF.

2. For AF speed, battery life, flexibility in lens choices, I'll stick with a DSLR. The death of the DSLR has been announced over and over, but I think it still has a few years yet.

3. If an interchangeable lens is not of much interest to you, consider more compact cameras such as the significantly less expensive Canon S120, or the almost equivalently priced Sony RX100 II.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal sensor in a very good camera, January 20, 2014
I got a Fuji X-E2 a bit ago and fell in love with the pictures it took, Fuji's design philosophy, and lenses. After using it a while (and buying those lenses), I yearned for a 2nd body to double the number of lenses that were ready to go. Upon reflection, I decided I didn't need a X-E2 (or X-E1), as I rarely used the EVF. I tried the X-A1, but that camera lacked Fuji's X trans sensor (which X-M1 and X-E2 have), so I returned it.

Coming from the X-A1, this was a breeze to learn (going from the X-E2 to the X-A1 took some getting used to), and I don't imagine those new to Fuji or photography will have any issues learning this camera. It's oriented more towards novices than the X-E2 and X-Pro 1, but the results can be stellar for novices and pros alike. Manual controls are buried a bit in favor of automated modes, but the automated modes offer better than average (which is pretty good anyway) results, so don't feel bad using these. I opted to use the dials to manually control things, which all in all works quickly. The image quality and results mirror my X-E2 (with similar lenses). Speaking of lenses, the 16-50mm lens included is rather nice, and I like the focal length they chose. It's neither as well built or as fast as the available fixed focal length lenses or the 18-55mm OS lens included in pricier Fuji kits, but both are better than what you typically get in Canon and Nikon kits.

This makes a compelling choice for beginners, advanced users coming to the Fuji system, and users of other Fuji bodies looking to add an extra body. It's not perfect, nor is it pocketable, nor will it match an SLR in continuous autofocus (it's getting close in single shot scenarios). The image quality and the high ISO performance are amazing, as are the lenses. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony all have made mirrorless systems, and none can match Fuji. Sony has the bodies but not the lenses, and Canon and Nikon really haven't figured things out (I'm not sure what Pentax was going for, but I'm clearly not in that market).

As a lifelong Canon/Nikon guy I can honestly say, go ahead and go for it and get this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent package and images for the money but..., February 8, 2014
Many great things have been said about this camera and Fuji's X-trans array. No need for me to repeat the words said by many others. I agree with everything that has been said. The current price $600 was just right, so I went ahead and bought it from my local Fuji dealer. But only 100 pics or so, I noticed 1 stuck pixel on the image sensor. The camera seems to take care of this pixel at ISO 800 and above, but the pixel is visible at all ISO's under 800. On many other cameras I own (NEX 5T, Canon T3 and Nikon D5200), Lightroom 5.3 will automatically remove stuck pixel while processing RAW files. So, I tried shooting RAW and processing it in LR 5.3 and Photoninja. But it did not automatically remove the stuck pixel, which is strange because the NEX 5T had one stuck pixel which was automatically corrected in RAW files in LR 5.3. It's also worth to mention here is, Fuji cameras do not seem to have pixel mapping function included in the camera firmware. The Sony maps pixels randomly every month. Which is how the stuck pixel on the image sensor of my NEX 5T was removed. Olympus also includes pixel remapping in camera menu. I hope Fuji includes something like that on future firmware upgrades. You could send it to Fuji warranty repair for stuck pixel removal, but the thing about stuck pixels is that they can re appear anytime during the lifetime of a camera. I loved the X M1 and I would buy another in heartbeat if they include pixel mapping in camera. Until Fuji includes in-camera pixel remapping, I'm staying away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do You Dream in Electric Velvia?, January 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having dragged around either an SLR or DSLR daily for some years - mostly in the name of good, clean obsessive fun - I've since come to appreciate the charms of mirrorless camera models featuring larger sensors and smaller, lighter bodies. The Fujifilm X-M1 is Fuji's 'enthusiast' mirrorless model leaving behind the rugged metal bodies and viewfinders of its big brothers in the Fuji mirrorless lineup. The X-M1 features a light but solid plastic body with a retro viewfinder-ish look. There's a nice high-resolution LCD (non-touch) screen which can be angled up or down and actual physical dials and buttons putting many settings literally at your fingertips. Unlike some of the Olympus and Sony models, there is no port to add an optional electronic viewfinder. Fuji uses optical image stabilized lenses rather than sensor stabilization found in some compact systems like Olympus micro-4/3. There's a handy customizable function button to help you avoid menu surfing and two (count 'em, TWO) setting dials for easily changing aperture or shutter speed or exposure compensation without needing to press extra buttons or use menus. The camera has a number of film-simulation settings which are quite nice including 'Velvia'.

The first thing you should know is that this camera probably won't fit in your pocket (maybe a coat pocket). The kit lens is smallish compared to some DSLRs but not all that compact and the body is larger than the Sony NEX. I do appreciate Fuji having designed their kit lens with a wider angle view, however, than the typical 18-55mm kit lenses (extra points for that). Image quality of the kit lens seems pretty good overall. The body grip feels a little cramped but not really uncomfortable.The camera's built-in AF Assist lamp is helpful in lower light conditions and is much less intrusive than strobing the pop-up flash to assist auto-focus as with some cameras.

The highlight of the Fujifilm X-M1 is the APS-C sized "X-Trans" sensor which is the same as the more expensive X-E1 and X-Pro 1 Fuji models (you just don't get the "premium" metal body or a viewfinder) and the same size as most (non-pro) DSLRs. I found the images quite sharp and vivid. The camera also produced very high quality jpegs and was particularly fond of the Velvia setting. Overall, I was very pleased with the results. Focusing is fairly fast but not the best of the mirrorless cameras.

The camera seems aimed at the photo enthusiast in terms of features, controls and operation but still has the traditional auto modes (as well as a mode to automatically select the appropriate auto mode for you). So far, Fujifilm has released about a dozen lenses for its X system cameras with many prime lenses but, unfortunately, most of these are a bit pricey so this is definitely not a system for bargain hunters (not at this time, anyway). I feel the X-M1 would make a particularly nice travel camera with the addition of a compact prime lens or two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and light in weight with excellent photo quality., December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fuji X-M1 is an excellent mirror-less interchangeable lens camera. It's compact and lightweight and takes excellent quality photos, excelling at high ISO speeds.

Design wise the Fuji is retro and classy looking. The overall look is very similar to a lot of Fuji's other cameras, like the X100 and X20. I own both of those cameras as well, and while the X-M1 does look very similar to them, materials quality is nowhere near as high. The X-M1 is pretty much a completely plastic affair, whereas the others are made of metal. Despite this, the buttons and dials have a positive feel to them and everything is well assembled. Even better the plastic construction keeps the weight of the X-M1 light, even with the 16-50mm kit lens attached, and is easy to carry all day long. Let me put it this way, I recently came back from a week long vacation to Disney World and I had both the X-M1 with the kit lens and a Canon 5D Mk III with the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens with me and I found myself choosing the Fuji over the Canon more often than not since it was so much easier to carry throughout the day and photo quality is almost as good. One thing I'd like to mention is that the Fuji had a spot on the sensor that I had to clean off manually since it was showing up as a blob in photos.

Features wise the Fuji is well stocked. Its best feature, besides the excellent sensor, is the tilting LCD screen on the back. It's large, high resolution, and bright. I had no trouble seeing it outdoors or at night. I used it extensively while on vacation to shoot over peoples' heads. I missed having an optical viewfinder at times, but the tilting screen makes up for the lack of viewfinder. It has all of the requisite manual controls, but the maximum shutter speed is 1/4000. I prefer cameras that go up to 1/8000 so I can shoot with a wide aperture in daylight and not have to carry a neutral density filter with me. The auto ISO setting is very customizable, with options for slowest shutter speed and highest ISO available. For those who want the camera to do all of the work for them there is also an automatic mode and several scene / creative shooting modes. The Fuji lets you bracket by exposure, ISO, film simulation, and dynamic range. The small built-in flash is not very powerful, but can be pulled back to serve as a bounce flash. The Fuji also has built-in Wi-Fi, but it's pretty limited in that you can only transfer photos to a phone and geo-tag photos by borrowing your smart phone's GPS. Plus I found the Wi-Fi clunky to use.

Besides the clunky Wi-Fi the Fuji is very easy to use. The menu system is logical and easy to figure out. It's quick and simple to change shooting settings using the two command dials (which both easily fall to hand), and there are hard buttons for white balance, drive mode, and autofocus. Lastly, there is a customizable button, and Fuji's excellent Q menu to gives you quick access to many shooting settings. One thing to be mindful of is that it is very easy to bump the top command dial and change the exposure compensation. One button I didn't understand was the Macro button. Since the macro distance is determined by lens attached, I couldn't figure out the purpose of this button, and the owner's manual didn't explain anything. Speaking of, the Fuji actually comes with a pretty comprehensive printed manual.

The Fuji is a pretty quick camera overall. It turns on quickly, however, you have to wait a second for the exposure to "equalize" so you can see the image on the screen. Focus times are always around 1 second, and the Fuji rarely hunts. It achieves focus accuracy about 99% of the time. Maximum continuous shooting speed is 5.6 fps and the Fuji will take about 13 RAW images and many more JPEGs (I stopped at 35) before it starts to slow down.

Photo quality on the X-M1 is excellent. Color, detail, exposure, and the look to the photos are great. Overall, the Fuji creates very pleasing images. The sensor is excellent and shoots at high ISO with aplomb. I was able to shoot up to ISO 3200 without worrying about noise and detail destruction. Above ISO 3200 is OK, but I reserve those setting for emergency use only. Dynamic range is also great, and the sensor holds onto highlight and shadow details well. Taken as a whole, this sensor stands toe to toe with the best sensors in this class of camera. In fact, it's better than the sensor in my Canon 7D, and slightly better than the well-regarded sensor in my Fuji X100. I shoot all of my images in RAW and convert them using Lightroom, but even if you shoot JPEG you'll still get excellent images overall since the Fuji has a terrific JPEG engine. Video performance was good as well with fairly quick focusing and good sound quality.

The kit lens performs well and gives fairly detailed images overall with corners that hold up nicely, even when the lens is wide open. It also has a built-in optical image stabilizer. Included with the lens is a hood, but it's hard to get on and off, and you have to remove the lens cap first. Still, at least Fuji gives you one... I'm looking at you Canon.

Battery life is good and I was able to take a couple hundred photos, with extensive menu navigating and photo reviewing, before I half depleted the battery.

All in all... a terrific choice in the mirror-less interchangeable lens camera class, and there are some excellent Fuji lenses available for it as well.

P.S. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

02/24/2014 Update: Fuji has updated the firmware for both the camera and kit lens. The camera now works better with Fuji's 56mm f/1.2 lens. The kit lens now has improved image stabilizer performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great System for photos, April 18, 2014
mousepotato (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the smallest, most consumerized X-Trans sensor body and lens, but the results are... artistic. I've just had it a few days and noticed: shots usable to 6400, auto iso goes to 6400, minimum speed can be set, flash throttles down very well, the exposure compensation works like the old days, almost good aperature controls with the wheel, the 16-50 lens has fantastic focus/non focus gentle fade off (like an expensive lens), chunky Leica feel, somewhat quiet shutter sound, too easy to delete photos, battery life dismal (due to longer sessions), the tripod mount messes up my easy sling strap, because I know I will need to get the battery or sd card out, etc.

The truth is all that matters is 3 things: aperature, speed and iso. You set the minimum shutter speed and auto iso and then the aperature is all it. My 27mm is on the way, but the 16-50 is no slouch. Yes, wide open is not sharp at the corners, but it is not as bad as you think and maybe that is the way it is. At 16mm (24 equivalent) almost anything from 10 feet to infinity is already "sharp."

The fantastic sensor and the very artistic looking 16-50 shots, letting you take shots that only higher end lenses can take. It has that 'look.' I have a Nex 5n and almost all the Sony lenses. The lenses are technically sharp, but as my famous photo friend says, "your pictures are flat." I took offense to that, but now I know what he means. The simple Fuji 16-50 has that look: Supersharp in the center and edges if you want. Even simple shots of the kids have that look. It is the Fuji system, body and lens. They didn't make a bunch of consumer lenses to start their system, but have a handful of primes and 3 great zooms. These are not zooms of yesteryear, but modern zooms designed for their sensor.

The focus is not ultrafast, but solid. Multifocus can miss medium contrast subjects. All the buttons can be mispressed by your thumb. Night street shooting seems to overexpose, but is easily massaged with the exposure comp dial. Works quickly and effectively. Colors are deep and rich, but not Kodak- has a cooler, more realistic look. For some reason, converting to B&W looks fantastic: wide aperature looks with solid contrast. Reminds me what HCB said about color being distracting. Build is not up to Nex 5n, 6, or 7 quality by far, but I don't worry because it feels solid. Yesterday, I had the camera in a bag in my car and had to stop abruptly- the camera got a solid thumping. Plastic is far more dent resistant than metal. As a tool, I'm loving it and the pictures make me feel like create story telling.

For those to young to remember Fujifilm: I used to have a Fuji enlarging lens which had some fungus, but it was way sharper than my Nikon enlarging lens. Cheap Superia film was even sharper than the Gold 100 stuff. And you can still get prints on Crystal Archive paper! Fuji was one of the first companies to put a great sensor in a compact body. I have an old Fuji F30, which at iso100 has almost as good resolution as my original Canon Rebel at the time. Of course some of those superzooms were clunk boxes.

Update: Video is useless unless you shoot with manual focus- it hunts endlessly. Still loving the photos I'm taking- they all have a 3D look, which is sometimes not apparent until you pixel peek. That all tells me, it must be good for large prints. I am going to print some 30 x 40 inch prints and report back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 2, 2013
I like this camera, has a big APS-C sensor. i can take pictures in low light conditions without noise up to ISO 1600. It's lightweight and pocketable if you have a 27 mm lens. Nice image quality and sharpness. The lack of OVF is not a problem to me because it has a tilting screen. The only think y miss is the Panorama Mode (may be this feature can be added with a firware upgrade).