4.0 out of 5 stars OMG.. Just BUY this Camera! NOW with Camera Raw Support
PLEASE SEE MY MORE RECENT UPDATES AT THE END OF THIS REVIEW. I've downgraded my rating from 5 stars to 4 as well.

For the past couple of months I've been looking for a high end "pocket" camera to fill the gap between my Casio throw-away and my Nikon D200. I read all the reviews for the Ricoh GRD iii and iv, and couple of other cameras in that price range and...
Published on November 22, 2011 by George Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars a very capable little camera
first, a bit of background so you understand where this review is coming from: i am used to shooting with very responsive equipment and lenses. i'm also used to carrying around this very responsive and, generally, rather bulky equipment. in an effort to shed some of the bulk at times, i have had my eye on the micro 4/3 market for a while, as well as new offerings from...
Published on November 29, 2011 by S. Flask

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the fuji x10 takes beautiful pictures, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X10 12 MP EXR CMOS Digital Camera with f2.0-f2.8 4x Optical Zoom Lens and 2.8-Inch LCD (Camera)
I have had my Fuji X-10 for 8 months and I love it. (Other cameras that I have owned include the Pentax KR, Fuji F70, the Sony P200, the Panasonic FS-7.) The Fuji X-10 meets both of my two most important criteria. It takes pictures that are sharply in focus and have great color. The lens focuses sharply outdoors and more importantly, indoors in incandescent and in lowlight.

The Fuji X-10 has taken beautiful pictures of my young grandchildren, my two dogs and of the many flowers that I planted in our landscaped yard.

I used this camera to take pictures at my niece's wedding. I used it in the church indoors for the ceremony, with the setting ISO 800 with plus 1/3 exposure compensation without a flash. I was so pleased with my beautiful pictures of the bride walking down the aisle and of the couple exchanging their vows. My pictures were comparable to the professional photographer's taken with a Canon camera.
I took a stunning picture of a snow covered tree in my backyard at night with only the patio light on. I used the setting ISO 1600 plus 1/3 exposure compensation. I hand held the camera. I was amazed when I viewed the picture on my computer screen.
I love to take this camera to restaurants when I eat out with family members. I generally set the ISO to 400 with a flash, face detection on. The waitresses have taken great pictures for me.

I generally take pictures indoors without a flash, but the Fuji X-10 has a great flash when needed. The flash brightens the picture without washing it out. I take all my pictures in JPEG. They need very little post processing. The camera has a live histogram. This helps so much to take pictures that are not under or over exposed.

I read the recommended Fuji X-10 camera settings on the many websites. After taking many pictures with different settings; the following are my preferred settings:
Image Size M 3:2 or M 4:3
Image quality Fine
DR 100 indoors and DR 200 outdoors
Film simulation Velvia for rich colors and Provia for more subdued colors
Sharpness M-Hard
Highlight tone M-Soft
Shadow Tone STD
Noise Reduction LOW

This camera takes great pictures. The camera has enough zoom that you can take pictures with bokeh, the blurred background.
The orb issue has been a non-issue for me and has not affected my pictures.
I have tried to cover all the information that I would have liked to have known before I purchased this camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good attempt to fill a niche., November 21, 2011
A quick personal background.
I've been shooting for nearly 25 years and consider myself an "enthusiast." I'm primarily a Nikon user and my experience is nearly all of the F-series SLR's and D-series DSLR's from 1985 onwards. My last point-and-shoot for family vacations and daily walkaround is the venerable Lumix LX3 - pretty good high ISO performance, fast f/2.0 lens, 24mm wide.

Why another P&S ? (The wife asked too.)
Primarily because the LX3's 60mm wasn't long enough for those times you want to shoot an architectural detail from the street or isolating a subject. But also because I wanted a less obstrusive, lightweight camera for street shooting with OVF operation and small lenses (I cannot afford the M9). My first unit towards this goal was the Fuji X100 but I promptly resold it after a week simply because:

a) it didn't have image stabilization and my less-than-steady-hands are showing on my low-light images,
b) for the price, I think it should have an option for a telephoto lens even if it were just for 5% of my shots,
c) the 35/2 lens doesn't focus as close as my Nikon 35/2 unless you switch to macro mode which interrupts my flow,
d) its price-vs-value-vs-features was neither here nor there

Fortunately, Fuji announced the X10 not too long after. At half the price, a 28-112 fast zoom, image stabilization, manual zoom control, and a OVF - it sounded like we have a winner.

Here's my initial feedback after a week with the X10 with the LX3 as reference:

Pros
- as small as most mirrorless designs although it is not back-pocketable (the Canon S100 and some Sony's are)
- I love the manual zoom, but may appeal only to DSLR users (my favourite zooms are the 16-35 and the 70-200)
- shooting through a viewfinder is a more natural way for me to shoot than via an LCD that I have to hold 12" away from me (I'm 40)
- noiseless stealth operation, unless you turn on the shutter sound feature
- fast focusing
- EXR function with increased DR mode works great
- fill flash for portraits works great up to 20 feet

Cons
- I wish it was a 24mm wide, but the panorama mode made up for it
- the OVF needs adjusting to as it covers only 85% of the actual frame
- the OVF has zero display and it would have been great even if they just added the focus box with focus lock indicator as I don't know where I'm focusing on most of the time
- the menu system is counter intuitive and I kept having to look for the Metering option (spot, average, matrix)
- battery life is really, really short - whereas I can get away with 2 batteries with the LX3 for a normal day of shooting, I probably have to have 3 batteries with the X10
- the combi/spin wheel feels loose when turning and does not provide the right tactile feedback

These are my initial feedback on the ergonomics and I will update my review once I fill up my 16Gb card. What I will continue to test is shooting street scenes using a quick-draw-and-quick-hide approach using the OVF. I don't expect it to be as responsive as I would use a DLSR - draw, focus, lock, shoot, tuck away - but I hope to go as close as I can.

If it doesn't work out, we have another option in as far as my quest for a mirrorless camera with fast, small lenses - the forthcoming Fuji LX.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - best point and shoot in the market (for now), December 16, 2011
A. Chiu (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
IMO, the X10 is the best point and shoot in the market right now. It has shortcomings and it's not the perfect point and shoot. But is there such a thing as a "perfect" camera? No. After all, the perfect camera is perfect only to one person -- the user. If you are considering the X10, keep in mind that the X10 is just a point and shoot. Don't expect or hope for big sensor quality images, or else, you will be disappointed. Even though the X10's sensor is slightly larger than the typical point and shoot, it's still much smaller than an APS-C sensor (in most DSLR's and some mirrorless cameras) and the 4/3 sensor in the Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras.

IMAGE QUALITY - Very good. It's better than my other point and shoot, the Canon S90. Also better than the XZ-1 (used it for two weeks). Out of camera JPGs provide good color and constrast. Images are sharp. Noise reduction is not over the top. I have yet to use RAW, because it wasn't until this past week that Lightroom got updated to handle RAW files from the X10. Even though I'm a RAW user, I have been very happy with the JPGs from the X10, just like I've been happy with the JPGs from the Fuji X100.

SPECIAL MODES - When using the EXR special mode, resolution is cut in half from 12 mp to 6 mp, unless it's the EXR-HR (high resolution) mode, which is more or less no EXR at all. The other two EXR modes are DR (dynamic range) and NR (noise reduction). While using the DR and NR mode, there is a noticeable improvement in either dynamic range or noise reduction. The various modes that the X10 has can be confusing and overwhelming. But spend some time playing with the various modes and settings, and you will be rewarded.

The X10 also has a mode called Pro Low Light, which takes four photos at high speed (and high ISO) and combines them into one to reduce noise. Images using this mode look even better than the EXR-NR mode. However, this is suitable only for static subjects. There's also a Pro Focus mode which artifically creates a bokeh, or the out of focus blurr on the background behind the main subject of the photo. Another mode that I like is the sweep panorama. Like the Pro Low Light mode, it's a copy cat of the similar modes in some of the Sony cameras, including the NEX. But I found the sweep panorama on the X10 much easier to use than the one on my NEX3.

ERGONOMICS AND BUILD QUALITY - I like dials and buttons. And the X10 has plenty of them. Unfortunately, only one button is customizable. Buttons and dials are all the right places, and I can reach them with ease. This is not a one handed operational camera. Unlike all other point and shoots that I've ever encountered, zooming/unzooming is performed manually via the barrel of the lens with the left hand. So you will need two hands to operate the camera. The X10 could use a slightly bigger grip as well. But it's grippy enough for me. The build quality is awesome. The camera feels tight and solid. Whether it wears out over time or not, that remains to be seen.

VIEWFINDER/LCD - The optical viewfinder is good enough for usage when bright conditions make it hard to use the LCD, which is rare where I live (Texas). It provides 85% coverage of what you are really taking a photo of, and the missing 15% is towards the bottom. So if you want to center the photo while using the viewfinder, aim a little bit lower. The viewfinder is bright, but does not provide any shooting information. So if you need focus confirmation, make sure you leave the "beep" turned on. Alternatively, you should be able to see the green light just to the right of the viewfinder. The LCD is average. It's not as good as the LCD on Sony cameras. But it's not as bad as the LCD on old Olympus and Canon cameras. It's bright enough, and has good contrast.

USER INTERFACE - The menus is quirky. But once I figured out where things are, it's not too hard to get around. The user manual is crappy. But again, use common sense and dedicate sometime playing with the camera, and you will surely be rewarded.

PERFORMANCE - Auto focus is snappy and faster than the S90 and the XZ1. No noticeable shutter lag. Shutter is silent, but you can have a fake shutter clicking noise if you want. The X10 even has three fake shutter clicking sounds to choose from. Auto focus can be off sometimes (rarely for me), but primarily in macro range. Speaking of macro, you can get as close as 1 centimeter for some real close up macro. Face detection seems unsure of itself, and the subject really has to be facing the camera for a good lock. Otherwise, the camera defaults to whatever AF setting you had it on (user chosen focus point, or multi-point). Auto focus in low light slows down, but it still locks on pretty good most of the time (especially if you turn the focus assist lamp on).

WHITE DISC ISSUE - As some others have pointed out, the X10 photos will show white discs in situation where there is a strong light source. I've only encountered this situation once. Here's a link to the one photo that I have with the white discs. [...] I have taken about 1000 photos so far with the X10, and the white disc(s) hasn't appeared on any other photos as far as I could tell. On this particular photo, I only noticed the white discs after I went looking for them (subsequent to reading complaints about them).

CONCLUSION - I like the X10 in spite of its short comings. The image quality is excellent for a point and shoot. Don't expect miracles from its small sensor. But as far as point and shoots are concerned, I really like this camera.

Here's a thread that I started in a forum discussing the "special" modes that the X10 has. The thread includes photos that are good representatives of these "special" modes and the X10's capabilities.

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, December 5, 2011
I was truly excited about this camera. Everything about the X10 from ergonomics to specs sounded like someone had finally made a camera just for me. Taking it out of the box I was immediately impressed with the heft and solid feel. Then I turn it on and things went down hill from there.

What the X10 is not: a rangefinder. The X10 is purely a point and shoot operation. I hoped for more manual control. The X10 is just not designed that way. Manual focus mode on the X10 is insultingly useless. Shooting in aperture priority mode should be easy but the LCD screen is useless in bright sun and that is the only way to access the aperture and shutter settings.

ISO: specs sound great. "ISO 100- 12800" But the highest sensitivities are only available when shooting small JPEGs. No raw above ISO 3200.

Mechanics: the zoom / power control ring on the lens sounded like a good idea. But reality is mine had a very sticky spot at the 50mm mark and the actual "on" position is ambiguous. No weather sealing on a $600 point and shoot? 80% humidity limit! I would have happily paid $700 if it was weather sealed.

Lens: optics are great. But the front element is very exposed without the impossible to obtain hood / filter adapter. While compact in the off position, with the lens extended the front will get hit on something eventually.

Viewfinder: optical viewfinder is an absolute necessity for me. That was 90% of why I bought the X10. But it is too quickly blocked by the extending lens and of too limited coverage. Having only LED indicators on the outside next to the viewfinder makes the viewfinder itself really only useful as a sighting tool in daylight (which is good as the LCD is unreadable in sun). Just having basic exposure and focus confirmation in the viewfinder would have made this 10X more useful.

I returned the X10. Perhaps a version or two in the future Fuji will have refined this design into what I need. But this is not it. For now i wil continue relying on my DSLRs for "real" camera functions and a trusty Canon A590 point-n-shoot for a pocket camera. The A590 does everything the X10 does and it cost me $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!, September 17, 2013
While this is a fantastic little camera - especially for Amazon's reduced price - you should know that they are still shipping 15+ month old models with the faulty (re: White Orbs) sensor. I received mine today as a birthday gift. The SN was prefixed 14A, the firmware was 1.02, and the sensor was the original faulty unit. Fuji recognized this sensor problem and started shipping models with the new sensor in May or 2012. While I ordinarily love Amazon, I cannot fathom why they're shipping old models with the faulty sensor 16 month later.

The firmware update to 2.0 fixes, slightly, the white orb problem. This issue aside, the camera is a fantastic buy for anyone wanting something pocketable (jacket, not jeans) with manual controls.

QUICK UPDATE:
Amazon is replacing this order with a new one and allowing me to keep the current camera until the new one arrives (next day shipping). Great customer service, as always! Hopefully, the new order will be a new model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for its size, December 18, 2011
For those times when I don't want to carry my DSLR and all those heavy lenses, I always like to have a compact quality camera that I can grab with a moment's notice - and the Fuji X10 is my new favorite.

For one thing, it's rugged and doesn't feel like a toy. It feels like a camera in your hands - a tool to take great pictures with, not something that you might confuse with your iPod. The controls are logical and well-placed, and the stuff you use a lot - lens controls, exposure, etc - are all easy to use without really thinking about it. Like all great cameras, it doesn't get in the way of making great photographs.

I've never used Fuji cameras before, and it took me a while to get used to the cameras menus and user interface. Yes, everything you want is there - I've just been spoiled over the years because I use mostly Nikon equipment, and there's a sense of familiarity from the smallest subcompacts to the mighty DSLRs. Still, the menus and controls all seem well conceived and although there's a lot of settings in there, the camera isn't at all difficult to use.

Image quality is the best I've seen from a camera this size. I tend to shoot RAW, and pictures taken in bright light at medium focal lengths aren't all that different than what I get from my Nikon D3. To my eye, JPEGs are also quite good...certainly good enough for online use and for prints up to about 8x10. I find images to be slightly warm and perhaps a bit over-saturated, with wonderful skin tones for portraits, although the built-in flash is a bit cool by comparison. In low light, the X10 does better than any compact cameras I've used, although here's where the size advantage of my DSLR helps...the X10 is good up to about ISO 800 - above that the DSLR is coming out.

The X10 also has a few special modes that improve dynamic range (think HDR) or help you take wide panoramas by stitching multiple shots together. If you're accustomed to film, the X10 even has emulation modes for most of the Fuji classic films...Velvia, Provia, etc. While some of these are unique to Fuji, I tend to do this sort of thing afterwards in the computer, so most of these features aren't that important to me.

The high-quality lens takes filters, hoods and other accessories and is quite sharp and contrasty edge-to-edge, even wide open. For close-ups, it focuses down to about half an inch. Bokeh or out of focus areas are pleasant without a lot of the harshness you sometimes see in small cameras. Indeed, I find myself shooting in Aperture Priority mode quite a bit so that I can use the f/2 end of the lens for nice out-of-focus backgrounds.

There's an accessory hot-shoe on top for use with outboard flash. While the built-in flash is reasonably powerful and useful for daylight fill-flash, it's really too close to the lens axis, so you get the dreaded red-eye on nearly every shot. An outboard flash unit is the answer, since it sits further from the lens and minimizes any chance of red-eye. I tried it with my pro Quantum flash (which is several times bigger than the camera itself!) and got very good results. Unfortunately, there's not an off-camera flash system built in, similar to Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS). You can use various types of radio triggers or slave units to get this result, but it would have been great to have something built-in.

The X10 includes all the other goodies you expect from a serious camera these days, from image stabilization and an optical viewfinder to auto-bracketing and the ability to program various shooting parameters for quick reuse. Underneath the camera is a solid tripod mount, and there's a direct HDMI output so you can connect the camera to a TV or monitor. It's fast starting up and to autofocus, and shutter lag is really excellent for a camera in this league. It will do 7 frames a second in burst mode, and the X10 can also take 1080p video, although to be honest, I have camcorders for video, so other than to verify that it works properly, I haven't done much with video yet.

I do have a few minor complaints. For one, unlike the X10's big brother (the X100), there's no built-in GPS. I've grown accustomed to having my photos automatically geotagged, but this isn't possible with the X10. The other thing is battery life, which tends to be only about 200-300 shots per charge (depending on how much you use the flash).

Overall, the X10 does everything I expect in a camera and takes photographs I'm proud of. It's not always the tool of choice, but for a majority of day-to-day shots, it's a wonderful performer, and for the price, it can't be beat. Fuji definitely has a winner here.

Definitely recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Shortcomings missing from most reviews, December 26, 2011
Neimo (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
There are many comprehensive reviews already available. These are some of the shortcomings most don't mention. The X10 is like how most cars twenty years ago had confusing or downright bad controls for the radio, heating and air conditioning. Even when people figured out the basics, they weren't as easy to use as modern ones, and controls for advanced features were either missing or not user friendly at all.

Please note I'm keeping my X10 and like it for many reasons, but my Canon SD870 from three years ago doesn't have these issues yet cost half as much. Details like these keep this good camera from being great.

1. On the bottom of the display is a thick gray semi-transparent bar that cannot be turned off, but all the other elements like ISO, histogram, and shutter speed can. It is so dark it interferes with composing shots in 4:3 or 1:1 aspect ratios. It should be removable or the transparency adjustable.

2. Image Stabilization at max zoom needs about 1/15th of a second to get a sharp shot. A Canon point and shoot from three years ago can get usably clear shots down to 1/8th about a third of the time. The X10 at 1/8th consistently produces smeared shots. Steadier hands than mine will likely do better.

3. The Custom display view is unavailable in EXR Auto. Custom is the only view where framing aids like the histogram, grid lines, and electronic level are available. So if you want help composing or having a flat horizon, you'll have to pick another mode. X10 users often recommend turning the dial to EXR and leaving it. Within EXR are four choices; Auto, High Resolution, Low Light, and Dynamic Range. Auto is super simple because the X10 picks which of those three is appropriate. Yet that's where Custom view is missing. To get it back means manually switching between them. On a partly cloudy day with the sun coming and going that means a lot of switching to use the optimal choice. Also indoors where the light varies from strong enough in one corner to dimly lit across the room. That situation means always paying attention to switching back and forth between High Resolution and Low Light.

4. 30 second exposures are only available at ISO 100. At ISO 400 it's 8 seconds. At 800 it's 4 seconds and at 1600 it's 2. The camera I'm replacing does 15 seconds at any ISO. I was looking forward to taking high ISO shots for twenty or thirty seconds on moonlit nights but that is not possible. (If you are going to take a long exposure, all the ISO and shutter combinations let in the same limited amount of light, but as usual ISO 100 has significantly less noise, better detail and color.)

5. With ISO Bracketing the camera takes three shots with identical shutter and aperture. Only the ISO changes between the three so the brightness varies. What would be more helpful in low light is keeping the aperture fixed and adjust the shutter speed to compensate for the ISO. The three shots would have the same brightness with three opportunities to get a sharp, not blurry photo. Then keep the sharpest one that has the most detail and hopefully low ISO.

6. After taking a photo it can be reviewed for 1.5 or 3 seconds. Or it will hold for 1.5 seconds then zoom all the way in to allow for checking the focus. It would help if pressing the Zoom Out button prevents the zoom in so users can first look at the overall image. There should also be a way to freeze the review image for longer than 3 seconds until half-pressing the shutter or Back button. While the Playback button does this it causes the screen to blink black for a quarter second which is distracting. It's one of those details other cameras handle seamlessly and make their experience smoother.

7. In review/Playback mode, portrait-oriented photos don't automatically rotate to fill the screen when holding the camera vertically so the image can match the screen. The pictures are displayed small and narrow in the middle of the screen with black vertical bars. Worse, when zooming in the black bars remain. That's right. As it zooms it doesn't use the whole screen, only the middle strip that a 4:3 portrait takes up. So a 16:9 or 3:2 image starts narrower and will zoom in to fill the space of a 4:3 but no further. There is a menu setting to playback portrait shots rotated ninety degrees but then they always are like that and require turning the camera vertically for them.

8a. Deleting photos requires three button presses versus two for a Canon. 1 - Delete, 2 - press Up to select OK instead of the default Cancel, 3 - OK. There should be a setting for OK to be the default so the two presses are Delete and OK. Deleting would go 50% faster.

8b. To delete multiple photos, each one must be tediously selected. There is no way to select only the first and last in a range of them such as 0022 through 0086 and then delete the range. To quickly make space and delete all photos taken on a certain date requires searching for them first.

9. Fujifilm's included software doesn't import photos with the folder date of when they were taken and doesn't preserve the date and time of when they were shot in the filename.

10. The included software doesn't auto rotate images to match orientation. That means selecting all the vertical images by hand to rotate them.

5.0 out of 5 stars replaced my G10...Waaaahh.....LOVE it., February 17, 2013
When I first saw this a year ago I was hooked but backed off based on the "white orb" artifacts and decided to stick with My G10, my Olympus EpL1, and then bit the bullet and bought an Olympus OM-D, EM-5, which frankly has blown away every other camera I've ever owned (including 5 fujis - f30, F40fd, F200 EXR, E550, Lumix Z28, Canon G10 and Nikon D40). But that's another review.

When I saw the new X20, esp. with the chrome version, I was blown away again and especially loved the new features. But it was $600....as I was researching I found that X10 prices for used were in the $300 range, and I managed to find a factory fresh one with the new sensor from a US authorized dealer for $397. So I jumped. It has the new sensor; ive shot perhaps 100 pics, mostly at night...and they are beautiful. It didn't come with the new firmware (2.0) which frankly was a snap to install...v 20 gives creative filters which I like, like color accent, dramatic tone, and the Raw button now gives you a super panel. I don't shoot raw.
It's a gorgeous ergonomic camera. Very small...smaller than my Iphone...although deeper. Smaller than my other 3. You can read all about its quirks - like turning it on with the lens - online. That is mixed...i shoot a lot of stuff one handed while driving or in the cold, so it requires 2 hands but it is very tactile and a better idea than tiny little on-off buttons you can't operate with gloves.
It has almost everything I want. Good zoom range, programmable button (I use it for 2X zoom), WB balance button, excellent, I mean excellent flash, 2 programmable/custom settings, low light EXR setting, which I think is fine although it goes to 6mp. I especially like the exposure control dial and the optical viewfinder. I don't know why people bitch about this....it's really handy for tough lighting situations, you can use it instead of the LCD to save power - I mean so what that it doesn't cover 100% of the picture? Crop it. Exposure lock buttons, self timer, motor drive, seamless pan for panorama - which is REAlLY nice...plenty of info in the LCD, i like the levelling bar, menus are very easy and logical...pro focus and pro low light...loads of scene modes as you would expect, Ive always like the "natural and flash" setting which gives you natural light and a flash to choose from with one click, macro and super macro...OK, OM-D has it beat but hell, it is $1100....i also like the fact that this camera has a manually operated zoom which saves on battery power and gives more control. Good responsive video. Don't know if it has a multiple exposure setting....not a big deal. I've shot about 4000 pics on my OM-D, and shot 1 multiple exposure. Has loads of other bells and whistles.
Now, of all my cameras, one thing is certain. I have never taken more riveting photos than on a trip to Croatia in 2008. the colors and the sharpness were breath taking. And those were with a 6mp Fuji F 30. Sorry world. So I am really excited about the possibilities with this. And it is beautiful. Yes, looks like an old Rangefinder. Not a single issue with blooming artifact. Colors...well, Fuji I guess because of the film history - the colors are rich. Fuji should be a lot higher on the list....send me an email if you have questions. And oh...I have NO idea what all the fuss is about putting a filter on? I bought the Marumi 40mm UV filter which you can find on Ebay for $18 and it screws on the front of the lens like any other high end camera I have ever owned....

Update: so i have had this for several months and thought i would up date it.
Well, the picture quality is stunning. Only camera I have owned that is better or equal is my OM-d EM-5 If I had to take one camera on a trip it would be the Olympus because it is just more versatile, i have a huge zoom on it, the customizability is great. But I just took this X10 as m only camera to New Orleans and it was remarkable. A little harder to customize; a little less versatile than the Olympus for night shooting, but the flash is great, the low light performance is terrific. The filters and scenes are very useful; the pan for panorama blows the Oly away with superb quality and ease of use. Colors are gorgeous. Wish list? Maybe the ability to switch filters with a few fewer clicks. slightly better and quicker manual focus. But I have taken nearly 1000 pictures with this and if it was my only camera it would be damn near perfect. Perfect size, reallly cool looking, viewfinder is just fine. Yeah, would I like a display in it? Then spring for the X20. Remember, I got this for less than $400. If I wanted to spend $600 I'd spring for the X20. This is a nearly ideal camera in a perfect size package. Fits in a coat or large pant pocket. Love it. Oh yeah. And not a white orb in sight and I shoot at least half my stuff at night.

UPDATE: So nearly a year later I just went on a 7 day trip to Oktoberfest and Czech Republic. In August I went to Yellowstone for a week and I took it but mostly used my OM-D EM-5. But I noticed that the Fuji pics were as good. And on this last trip i wanted as little bulk as possible. So I took the Fuji.
Took 1000 pics. So first the "downside", and I'm comparing to an OM-D Em-5, D 40, G 10. The manual focus button on the front of the body gets flicked on accidentally in my waist pack and I'll find I'm shooting a handful of images with manual focus. Second, it's harder to customize art filters with this than the OMD. That's it.
Picture quality is great. In camera pan-to panorama images are terrific. Colors are remarkable. I don't miss a longer zoom. Low light performance amazing. Took lots of handheld pics at night on auto, took pictures of Prague Castle setting camera on a railing, lots of indoor pics, museum pics; many pics in museums that didn't allow photos....just turn off sound, and do a side shot, rest camera on my shoulder pac. I'm sorry. The quality of these pictures is just flabbergasting. I see these guys lugging these massive SLr's and really, I'm wondering why. Other downsides? A little barrel distortion when shooting up at rectangular buildings. Viewfinder orientation is slightly off, but I don't use it unless it is bright sunlight. If this camera is this good, the X20 and Xm-1 must be game changers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for its purpose, March 9, 2012
Arno Vosk "avosk" (Williamsport, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I've owned this camera for a year, used it in a variety of situations. Here's what I like about it:

Much smaller and lighter than an SLR with zoom lens.
It's simplicity itself to turn on: just twist the zoom lens. Powers up instantly and focuses quickly.
Fast lens: f2.0 at wide angle, 2.8 at telephoto.
Manual zoom--much quicker, easier than an electric zoom, easier to make precise adjustments.
The viewfinder! Like a real camera. Essential for my style of picture taking. I'm 69 and grew up on film SLR's and rangefinders. If you are accustomed to those kinds of cameras, you will feel comfortable with the X10's construction.
Wide variety of shooting modes, many of which I can actually understand. I especially like the auto-bracketing, which I use a lot in difficult lighting situations when I have to take a picture quickly.
Takes super pictures nearly all the time. Sharp, great detail and contrast, great color. Decent in low light.

Here's what I don't like:

Larger and heavier than a point and shoot. Not pocketable, except maybe in a jacket pocket. Seems too small for a shoulder strap. I use a wrist strap to keep it from falling in case I lose my grip.
The viewfinder shows only 85% of the actual picture and displays no shooting information at all--not focus, exposure or anything. The lens obscures the bottom right corner at short focal lengths.
There's a definite learning curve for the many exposure modes and functions, and the instruction book is just a book of hints. You must either spend hours on the forums or buy a supplementary book.
Autofocus isn't always perfect. Manual focus possible, but slow and cumbersome. I almost never use it.
Front lens element is close to the front metal ring of the lens, which means unless you're very careful you have to keep the lens cap on all the time when not shooting to prevent fingerprints, scratches, etc.
The notorious "white orbs" problem (specular highlights will sometimes appear as white blobs in pictures). I returned my camera to Fuji for a fix, but the problem still exists, though to a lesser extent than before.

My conclusion? When I'm going out mainly to take photos and don't mind shlepping a big kit, the SLR is easier to use and takes better pictures. When I just want to have a camera with me and don't expect to do any serious photography, I slip the point-and-shoot into my pocket. But the X10 is my travel camera. It's small enough to be portable and is much lighter than an SLR with a zoom lens. It's much more camera than a point-and-shoot, and takes pictures good enough to enlarge. It's great for fast, seat-of-the pants shooting, and you can expect quality results--a little like a Leica (which it's intended to resemble).

Despite what the ads might boast, the camera hasn't yet been made that can do everything perfectly. I am not one who has either the inclination or the resources to buy a new camera every 6 months. My X10 goes with me on every major trip. Oh, by the way, it's fun to use. For an old geezer like me, it feels like a real camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Best Compact Camera Around!, July 15, 2013
I just purchased this camera thru Amazon. I REALLY REALLY needed a smaller compact camera to complement my other big and heavy DSLRs. I just want to say that this X10 i can take ANYWHERE. This is THE perfect compact camera for me, and i can take it and hide it under my coat without anybody even noticing it is there. Well, the camera is not tiny, but it sure feels like it, specially since it has that pretty wide range zoom lens. This is why i chose it over the X-E1 and the X-M1 coming out soon.

The built quality, design, performance, and image quality output are TOP NOTCH in this camera. I really don't know what the X20 has for double the price, but this X10 has everything i need. The low light performance is very very good indeed, considering it's small sensor size. Actually i read in many forums that the noise output from the X10 is not so good because of its small sensor, but all i can say is that many of those statements are just not true, because i have confirmed that. I have had many good ISO DSLRs and what i can say is that the ISO performance from the X10 can compete with some cameras with bigger sensors. Don't under estimate this little camera. I shot many photos in low light (in jpeg) and this thing outputs photos with very little noise, straight out of the camera. I am very impressed. I didn't even had it set to high ISO Priority mode, and if i PP the noise in LightRoom they would look even better. Pretty amazing indeed. Last time i had a point and shoot camera was around 8 years ago, and this X10 is a HUGE improvement from what we had back then.

I will say that this camera is not for a beginner. If you are going to buy this type of camera, you should know at least how certain functions work, such as ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Those are some of the simple and basic thing someone should already know, otherwise many of your pictures will come out very blurry and bad. And definitely you will HAVE to read the manual. This is a very high tech little camera.

I shopped around for a long long time. I looked at the famous Pentax MX-1 also, very very good camera also, but when i had the Pentax on my hand it just felt awkward and not normal. The X10 fits like a little glove, and it has a shoe for external flash already, which i will be using. The Fuji just has everything i wanted. I am extremely happy with my new X10. For it's current $349 price, i think this is one of THE best compact cameras out there.

The only thing i don't like is the very POOR battery life, but i read somewhere in flickr that Radio Shack sells a brand that lasts longer than this fuji battery that comes with the camera. I shot around 100 photos and the battery gave up. I did have the LCD on, since i am learning and playing with the camera a lot right now, but soon i will turn off the LCD and other recommended functions for longer batt life.

I still feel like giving this camera 5 stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›