5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar image quality
The Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 is one of the best lens for the Fujifilm X-Trans system. Maybe one of the best 50mm equivalent focal length lens also.

Published on March 17, 2012 by Parka

2.0 out of 5 stars Good images, slow focusing motor and poor focus by wire performance
This lens is effectively useless when taking pictures of moving subjects at large apertures due to the lag when adjusting focus and the slow focusing motor. It also takes several full twists to move from distant to close up focal planes. For manual focusing, this lens is a nightmare to use but it produces good images when you are able to get the subject sharply in...
Published 23 days ago by Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar image quality, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)

It's small, light (187g) and well constructed. It comes with a lens hood and rubber cap but I don't use those instead opting for third party vented hoods. The rubber lens hood cap easy to drop off when knocked. The original lens cap difficult to pinch.

The external aperture is extremely convenient for changing apertures without going into menus.

I love the quality of this lens. It makes beautiful pictures with the X-Pro1. Colour and sharpness are close to perfection. It's reasonably sharp wide open, sharper when stopped down. There's a slight glow to edges at wide open but visible at 100% only. There's no strong vignetting. Slight chromatic aberration (purple fringing) does appear at wide open under the right conditions.

You can get rather nice subject isolation with the depth of field from the f/1.4 aperture. The bokeh is also rendered beautifully. Usually when shooting under the sun, I use it with a 2x ND filter.

Using this f/1.4 lens on any of the X-Trans camera also means you have a really capable low light shooter. Unusable night photos is a thing of the past. I get way more keepers, but focusing in the dark can sometimes be a challenge (due to the camera).

Many people claim that the 18mm lens is a very good lens. Well, this 35mm lens is significantly better in performance. Different focal length though, of course.

The minimum focus distance is 28cm, and you have to use EVF when shooting at minimum focus distance -- OVF will not focus.

I use this on the X-Pro1. After a series of firmware updates on the camera and lens, the AF speed is now quite satisfactory. However, it's challenging to take photos of people at walking speed.

- Conclusion -
This is a really fantastic lens. It's so good at capturing the light and colours. I love all the photos that it captures. And I'm constantly impressed by what I see.

Most highly recommended.

COMPARED TO THE PANASONIC LEICA 25mm f/1.4 MICRO FOUR THIRDS LENS

I also happen to have the Micro Four Thirds system for video and have the PanLeica 25mm.

Performance is very similar. The main difference is the camera sensor. The X-Pro1 with its larger sensor has slightly shallower depth of field. I'm surprised and impressed that the depth of field difference isn't much more. Someone obviously picked the right sensor size for Micro Four Thirds. In terms of colours, Panasonic cameras currently cannot match the Fujifilm, and I've no experience with Olympus cameras. I've some comparison photos in the comments section below with links provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, extremely sharp, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
I remember not liking 50mm (35mm) lenses back in the 1970's because it was the only lens I could afford. Today, it seems that we get these kit zooms that are pretty crappy when compared to primes and I had forgotten what a great overall length 50mm is. This compact prime from Fuji is a solid performer. It is tack sharp and pretty fast in good light, it actually isn't as bad as you might read in low light,just take your time. Macro mode, even though you can't really get all that close, works well.

Beware, as I shot some candid portraits goofing around that at 200% magnification showed the individual whiskers (blazingly sharp) on my subject. Yes, the lens is that sharp so any skin flaws and blemishes are readily visible; luckily, this is easily fixed. I didn't detect any distortion or fringing and the bokeh is gorgeous. If you can only get one lens of the three, this is the one. I can't wait for the 14mm ultra wide that is supposed to be coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpest lens I own!, April 14, 2012
C. Brown "Ideas that speak volumes" (durham, north carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
Coming from a great Canon SLR system with several L series lenses I was a bit skeptical that a little $600 lens would give me the kind of quality that I was used to. To my surprise, this little lens surpassed my expectations and even beat out all of my Canon glass.

Now I don't own the Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens. However, I have used it on numerous occasions, with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II, due to the fact that we have one at my job. It has been regarded by many as the sharpest Canon prime available. For me it is the sharpest Canon glass that I have encountered and used.

Now to my eyes, the Fujinon 35mm matches and may even be sharper than the Canon 135mm on the 5DMKII. Combined with the amazing Fuji X-Trans sensor, this little lens is AMAZING! This combination is now my favorite combo to use in most situations where a DSLR isn't necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and a very nice lens, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
So why 5 stars? It's because it's a damn good lens for the money. It's not perfect, but for $600 what can you expect. Sure, I have lenses at similar focal lengths that are superior, but at a much much higher price.

It's a very well built lens but also light weight. It has an all metal housing, the hood is also metal but with a plastic connector. The focus is nicely damped with a good feeling metal grip. The aperture ring turns smoothly and clicks at 1/3 stops, although I wish the click was a little more firm. The lens attaches firmly to the body at a very tight tolerance. There's no play at all. The included cap is cheap plastic, but who really cares about the lens cap. The included rubber lenshood cap is a nice touch. Overall a very solid lens that reminds me of my old MF Zuiko glass from the 70's/80's.

It's focus-by-wire so it lacks the feel of a true MF lens, but paired with the Xpro1, you're focusing through an LCD anyways, so you're not going to get that feel anyways. The lag is extremely minimal (although the distance scale on the camera has a slight delay). As for AF, it's fast in daylight, but in low light it's a bit on the slow side. I think this is more of a camera than a lens issue so perhaps firmware updates will improve this.

Most important is of course image quality. This is where the lens really stands out. Tack sharp, good contrast, nice color, good control of CA and very nice circular bokeh. When it comes to image quality of 50mm & 50mm equiv lenses, this one is up there.

5.0 out of 5 stars One body. One Lens., May 3, 2014
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
If you own an x series body, then it's a no brainer that you should own this lens. I purchased this when I purchased the x-pro1 and a 23mm 1.4 and the 35mm has almost permanantly been glues to the x-pro1. Not only is this my favorite focal length but this lens also renders beautifully! The colors are gorgeous and the detail is ALL there. It's SO sharp I can't believe it sometimes. For sure this lens is an instant classic and should due your first purchase alongside an x series body.

4.0 out of 5 stars 35mm F1.4 Lens is Amazingly sharp wide open. THE lens to own for the X-Pro 1, April 11, 2012
E. Khang "Edwood" (Southern Califonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
The 35mm f/1.4 lens can pretty much be welded onto the X-Pro 1. I also have the 18mm lens, but the 35mm is considerably better. If the X100 had a 35mm f/1.4 I would've gotten it. I love the "normal" 53mm-ish effective focal length.

It's fairly lightweight for it's size, but it's nearly all metal construction feels very sturdy. I like that it's lighter in weight (much like the X-Pro 1 body).

Minor complaints I have are that it's Auto Focus is noticeably slower than the 18mm Lens. The Aperture ring is looser than I'd like, but it's very smooth. Focusing motor and aperture are fairly noisy, so it's not ideal for shooting video.

Major complaint, is the poorly designed old school Leica-wannabe lens Hood. Sure it's metal and looks kind of cool or like a crushed soda can, depending on your point of view. But the hood is NOT reversible. It makes it difficult to access filters when it's on, like circular polarizers. And you need to remove the hood completely to be able to remove / add a filter. The rubber hood cap is going to be lost soon, it comes off way too easily. The regular center pinch lens hood cannot be removed / replaced with the stock lens hood in place either, and it has a pretty loose grip, soon to be lost as well. The lens cap I will likely buy to replace it will be better.

Hopefully a third party lens hood will be reversible and this already awesome lens will be nearly perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite lens—almost never comes off, but it has its cons., December 13, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
The Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 is a fantastic lens. It's my favorite lens (it almost never comes off), but it has its cons.

The pictures are razor sharp and the quality is absolutely fantastic—The bokeh is gorgeous! For just about any casual, portrait shot, this is my go-to lens. The quality of the photos are just stunning—I can't reiterate how pleased I am.

The aperture ring is also another favorite of mine. It's super nice that I can quickly adjust the aperture with a ring and not have to fiddle with buttons on the camera. I also love the feel of the focus ring. It lets you really dial in that zoom to get the perfect shot. It's also really wide, making focusing really nice.

However, the auto-focus is a bit slow and a bit noisy. I can't expect the auto-focus to be as quick and fast as a regular DSLR, but there are often times I wish it was. Also you can hear the auto-focus working, and sometimes it has a tough time focusing on the subject, especially if you're rather close or in dimly lit environments.

Comparing it to a traditional DSLR isn't fair, but if you're coming from one or have experience with one, you'll definitely feel a difference.

All-in-all I'm super happy with it!

Pros:
Razor sharp, high-quality photos
High-quality build (not made of cheap plastic)
Aperture ring
Wide focus ring

Cons:
Slow auto-focus
Noisy auto-focus

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
This is an amazing lens. It creates very nice bokeh and incredibly sharp images. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
It was originally intended to compliment the 18-55 X-T1 kit lens; however, since I put it on I just cannot take it off the camera. It is a pleasure to use.

I hesitated on this purchase because I read so many reviews of people complaining about the noise and the terrible hood/cap situation so I figured I'd address those: First, yes, it does make noise but I have a difficult time imagining it being a deal breaker to a potential buyer. With the latest firmware installed (never tried it without) you know it's working but I highly doubt it will spoil your day. As for the lens cap situation: The hood is not compatible with the lens cap and the hood cap will fall off. I keep the hood on all the time to protect the glass and I keep the caps in the box at home. This works great for me and is a frustration-free solution. I prefer this to a larger hood that may allow the use of the cap but also takes up more space in the bag. I wanted a small, tidy package and this delivers.

If either of these issues are giving you pause I would encourage you to just take the plunge. While the complaints are not without some merit they are also a great example of how the internet takes small issues and amplifies them into something they are not.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Fuji lens for XF lens bodies--a "MUST HAVE" for Fuji camera owners, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
I own a Leica 50mm Summilux f/1.4 and although it cost nearly 10x more than the Fuji f/1.4 I *can't* say that it is 10x better. In fact, other than the autofocus feature that I am missing in the Leica, it is hard to tell the difference. I don't want to feel stupid for "overpaying" for the Leica and it is a fantastic heirloom quality piece of kit that my son will own but as far as picture quality and use-ability the Fuji f/1.4 is a really, really nice lens and a "must have" for Fuji owners. I have both a EX-1 and a X-M1 and they fight over who gets the 35mm f/1.4. Beautiful bokeh, fantastic image isolation at f/1.4. Cleans up sharp if you stop it down. I really like this piece of glass and will buy a second one as a backup as soon as I get a sale bundle or some other promotion on it. If I could only have one lens on the Fuji it would be this 35mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect lens., January 2, 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 Lens (Electronics)
This lens is a perfect match for the Fuji XE-1. It's small and fast and an optimal focal range if you're using the XE-1 as your street camera. The lens is amazing in low light and images are razor sharp. If I were going to have only one lens for the Fuji, this would be it.