Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Color: YellowChange

on March 22, 2014
First of all I got this Camera before the official lunch date of March 22nd. So I had about a month to play with this. This is a point and shoot camera, not a really fancy camera. Here is a break down of my pros.

#1 The clarity of the pictures are very good. It captures more detail in each picture.

#2 The filter choices. My favorite by far is all of the advanced filter settings. There is fish eye which I find to be a funny feature. There is a feature where you can turn all your pictures into Black and white except one certain color. For example green. So it will take a picture black and white except for anything that has green in it. If anyone watched the movie Sin City you know what I am talking about. This feature is great so your pictures can really stand out. I took mine to the Rose garden and photographed the roses. The color filters are red, blue, green, purple, orange and yellow. So basically your rainbow colors. It also has a toy camera feature which is great for some of the silly pictures.

#3 It is waterproof. Although I have not tried this feature. I had a friend who did. According to him, it works great. It also has a filter that is waterproof up close filter for those underwater shots.

#4 Shockproof up to a certain point. I am an avid hiker and treat my camera and my phone very rough. I have dropped this camera several times. It still worked to perfection. I wouldn't recommend dropping it to much. But if your kid gets a hold of the camera drops it and throws it. It should still work. so no big deal there.

#5 Video quality- This is a awesome feature. I took this camera to a private Paula Cole concert and taped some of the songs. The quality of the video was sharp and very clear. It looked like I was right on stage with her. So you can take this to concerts, sport events, or just people watching.

#6 Great shutter speed- there was a time I needed to get several shots very quickly. The delay time was less than 1/2 second. I got off several shots very quickly. Wound up with some amazing once in a lifetime pictures.

#1 Lack of color choices for the camera- I would love to see more color choices for the camera. Right now all you get is yellow, orange and Blue. Since i am writing a review for the blue one, you know what color I got.

#2 If you don't take the time to go over the features it can be very confusing. I am still learning what some of the features and filters do. To me some filters don't really do anything.

#3 The charging station. In order for you to charge the battery, you have to charge the whole camera instead of taking the battery out of the camera. I am sure there is a separate accessory for this but for know you need to plug in the whole camera. So if you don't have an extra battery, you will have to wait 3 hours for your camera to be done.

Well there you have it. I will update this review when I explore the camera even more. I would recommend this camera to a friend and family. It may seem expensive at first with the $229 dollar price tag but its worth the price. For all the features and clarity you get its worth it,. Once you own this camera it will create great once in a lifetime memories. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will answer questions the best and honest way I can. Thanks for reading.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2014
My family has several small pocket type cameras in addition to regular high end DSLRs (I am a professional photographer). One of my Nikon pocket cameras had the battery door fail. The cost to fix it on basically a disposable camera means it gets junked and get a new one. This one cost more than the average similar camera but you pay for the water proof, drop proof and general features so worth it for the abuse these cameras can get. this one works very well and gives great photos and videos are top notch. Low light ability is pretty decent with high ISO user selectable speeds (something many other similar cameras don't have...only auto select.

All of the cameras we have had before of this type were Nikon except for one Fuji. That Fuji has been trouble free (battery door hasn't failed ;-) either). The deciding factor is its higher durability construction and dust/waterproof feature. We are all kayakers so less worry about a dunk than my others.

Only negative is you plug the camera in to charge it and the battery stays in the camera. I am getting an aftermarket external charger so I can have one charging while the other is in use. My old cameras used 2-AA battery whereas this one uses a dedicated battery. Normally these are expensive but there are many cheap sources through Amazon comparable to buying a couple of rechargeable AA batteries so not an issue.

The battery recharges quickly....about 2 hours which is a big plus. It also appears to be able to charge from a laptop via the USB cable although haven't timed it to see how long it takes.

The wireless connection to my Android Tablet is a very nice feature although it may be more useful for other people than me as my tablet takes SD expansion cards so can just do it direct....but there are many tablets and phones that don't have card ports for additional memory. The wireless transfer is fast though and certainly a good way to do it.

Mine is yellow...I wanted that for kayaking if it should go in the drink but there are other colors available if you don't want such a bright one.

The operating system is easy to use and has a ton of neat features and filters to keep you entertained. You can also turn off or adjust various audial signals which is great for times when you don't want to interrupt an event.

I didn't give the last star only because of the external battery issue...but overall it is definitely a keeper. I suspect it will be a lot more durable than many other camera I have owned over the years. I don't abuse them but they do get frequent hard use.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2014
For context, I am an advanced amateur photographer who has used SLRs, digital SLRs and high-end compact for many years.

Recently we took a vacation to the Caribbean which prompted buying this camera. I did a little bit of research on waterproof cameras and underwater camera housings for my existing compact and chose the XP70 as a good balance between price and functionality. It was a great decision.

The camera feels solid and durable. It is quite compact, easily fitting in the average compact point-and-shoot case or in your pocket. It is very easy to operate and includes a number of advanced functions and effects. It was a bit hard to use the viewfinder underwater, but I think that is more a function of the scuba gear than a defect in this particular camera model.

I used this camera at up to 30 feet of depth with no problem. Battery life was good, and it was easy to operate underwater.

Picture quality is quite good. The quality of HD video actually surprised me. As did the shots I took out of the water. I have not tested it in 'situations like indoor portraits with flash or low-light photography, but it seems this camera should be able to a fairly good job at the standard photo opportunities.

The underwater performance was excellent. I took tons of pictures and video underwater. Colors are great, picture quality is very good. Look at some of the sample photos I uploaded. I expected autofocus to be tricky underwater but I did not get any blurry pictures.

As you should expect with any underwater camera, if you are taking pictures in the water you will need to wipe the lens clear of water drops. This is simple physics and nothing a camera manufacturer can solve for you.

With a sturdy construction and overall protection against the elements, this would be a great camera to take camping or any place where you may worry about breaking a normal camera.

For the price, this is a great buy.
review image review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2014
I'm no photography expert, so this won't be an in-depth technical review like the many helpful ones I've read here on Amazon. Instead, I'll just mention the things I like and some things that can be improved about this camera.

I bought the camera mainly for the water-resistance and shock-resistance features. I want it for biking and other outdoor activities. That's why I bought the yellow one, so I'd be able to find it if I drop it. I haven't tested the ruggedness (I hope not to).

You may be wondering about the geotagging feature of this camera. The camera does not have built-in GPS. What it does have is the ability to talk WiFi to your smart phone, which does have GPS. You must install the FujiFilm camera app on your phone (or tablet), fire it up and put it into the mode that serves up GPS info to the camera. You also have to turn on the geotagging feature on the camera. Klunky, but it works.

The app also allows you to upload photos to your phone or tablet. It's not automatic; you have to select what you want to copy. I'd rather just automatic sync, but I suppose that would use up too much battery.

The way this WiFi stuff works is a bit odd (to my mind). The app basically commandeers your phone's (tablet's) WiFi, disassociating it from whatever WiFi network to which you were connected while it's connected to the camera.

It also has the ability to wirelessly connect to a computer for the purpose of uploading. To use this, you fiddle with the camera to connect it to the wireless network your computer is connecting to. I have been able to get the camera to connect to my home WiFi, but I have been unable to get it to connect to the PC running Windows 8.1. Really, there's so much fiddling to make this work, it's probably just easier to use an old-fashioned USB cable.

The camera has an abundance of shooting modes, including the Scene Recognition mode, which essentially picks automatically from some of the other shooting modes. It has a bunch of fun modes, such as pop color, low key and partial color. These are especially good if you routinely share your photos without using a photo editor on them first.

I've played with the video a bit. I'm not much of a videographer, so I can't say much about it. It does have the ability to shoot stills while making a video, which seems like a nice feature.

I love how fast the camera is. When you hold the shutter button down, the camera will take multiple shots. You can choose between three repeat rates and the fastest is really fast (sorry I'm too lazy to check the specs). You can set the camera to save all such shots or only the last.

All in all, I'm happy with this camera. Certainly it is the most functional point-and-shoot camera I've ever owned.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2014
We bought this for our 12 night trip to Hawaii. It took good pictures and was durable with the sand, water, etc. I was actually surprised how good the pictures actually were underwater. Attached are a couple of pictures to show quality.
review image review image review image
on February 8, 2015
I own this camera and take hundreds of pictures on a daily basis. Because "if it can be broken, dropped or lost I'll break it, drop it or lose it," I needed a waterproof, shockproof, durable little workhorse. That it is! There is also the wifi and apps that allow you to upload pics to a tablet or phone very easily. The resolution is awesome and I can't complain about the quality. After thousands of photos in all sorts of situations, I will say there are a couple of cons. One is that you cannot spot-meter or multi-meter. It's really hard to fake this camera out with bad lighting. There is no option for AP or SP or manual. It tends to pick up every dust mote in the air in a low-light flash situation, resulting in an array of bright dots. Also, the zoom is only 5x, which I thought would be fine for my purposes but it turns out I needed a longer zoom. Finally, the BIG complaint: You must open the camera in order to charge it. This allows dust to get into the works and I am just waiting for that to kill it. There have been times that I used my portable charger actually connected to the camera (hanging open on one side) because I was not done with a job and needed the charge. If you're going to take more than 100 pics in a day, I strongly suggest getting an extra battery. and a car charger. So: I use this as my "get-out-of-the-car and trudge in the rain/snow" camera, and I got another camera with a longer optical zoom and better metering options that stays in the car with me as I work.
on January 3, 2015
I go through a point and shoot about every two years primarily because I use it weekly for work (construction progress documentation). I needed a new one and wanted to "upgrade" to also include my new snorkeling hobby. I thought the Fuji XP70 (at this price point) might fit the bill perfectly - wouldn't be too much of a loss if it ended up floating in the Caribbean or under the tires of an earthmover.

So far it's been rugged enough for the jobsite and has performed well under water. The pros being all the necessary buttons are available for still shots and movies without having to deal with slide switches or going through a menu. The pre-set shooting modes also have given me a couple stunning shots I wouldn't have gotten with my old Canon ELPHs (owned 3 of these).

The cons however are starting to seriously outweigh the pros. Battery life is poor, and even though I spent the extra $15 for a backup battery, changing it while out on the water isn't practical. Also, the battery is an "in camera" charge (unless you buy an aftermarket stand-alone charger), which means the camera is down while charging. Like most other waterproof cameras, the lens is in an awkward spot and you have to train yourself to keep your finger out of view, and since it's not retractable, you have to be sure to clean it regularly and protect it while stowing.

My biggest peeves are: even on the lowest resolution, at 16.4 MP the smallest any still shot comes out is over 1mg in file size. This might be great if I were making billboards, but when you have sometimes over 100 photos you need to post, it's cumbersome (why anyone even needs 16 MP is still a mystery to me). You can download Fuji's FinePix Viewer software and batch re-size them, but it's just another step and a bother on the go. Movie output is .MOV format, which isn't a problem for Apple users, but my Windows based editing software won't take that, so again, yet another software download to convert them to MP4 or others. Yes, you can manually change the suffix, but again, cumbersome if you're dealing with more than a dozen or so. The "on board" movie editing/trimming feature simply doesn't work either. Additionally, about 10% of my photo and movie files have ended up "broken" or corrupt before I even get them off the camera.

In low light situations (make that "impaired" light - I certainly wouldn't call it "low") like misty or foggy outdoors, or even just slightly below "normal" light levels indoors or out, the camera is useless and no setting will produce a picture that isn't fuzzy, furry, or badly out of focus. Not good if you're trying to document actual project conditions. I the 30 days I've had it, I've logged over 1000 work and vacation photos and movies and only about 60% of them have I considered usable. I also have yet to get a working wireless transfer from it on any device. Either the camera won't send it or the software doesn't find the camera. It doesn't record audio in some modes either.

Support is non-existent, and there is no phone support. Unless your problems are covered in an FAQ section somewhere, you're charged for on-line support - a problem I never had (or needed) with my Canons.

By the time you purchase the camera, spring for the extra battery and unsupplied SD card, a decent case to hold al the "stuff", and a decent camera float (it does come with one, it's just not high visibility), even at discount prices you're up to $200 and the output of this plastic camera just simply isn't worth it. I'll be going back to my tried and true Canon.
on July 22, 2014
I researched waterproof cameras extensively before my trip to the Bahamas. I wanted the Canon Powershot D30 but my husband didn't want to spend that much money. I compromised and we bought this gem. I love this little camera!

The camera initially malfunctioned when taking a slow motion video. The screen froze but I was able to have the camera resume normal functionality by removing the battery and putting it back in. After I did that, I was able to take a slow motion video again. The screen did not freeze again.

On our trip, we took hundreds of pictures and video above and under water, in a pool and the sea. The camera is very responsive, which is great when you are using it under water. We charged it at night and the battery lasted all day. Another unexpected benefit was the clock, which, if you set it, you can see in the display when you turn the camera on. This was useful since we did not bring our phones to the beach and pool.
on March 11, 2015
I had been waiting for a good water camera to go on sale and when it did, I snapped this one up. We recently took it to Cabo and not only are the pictures under water good, so are the ones on land. It was nice to not have to worry about getting it wet or getting sand on it. The battery charge port is internal so you have to open the battery compartment to charge it, but I just bought an extra battery and an external charger and it all worked out fine.

I had some trepidation about purchasing the camera after reading some of the reviews. One thing that stands out in my mind were the complaints of the camera not working when it arrived - just for FYI - when you insert the battery it actually fits in there with the connections in the right spot AND you can insert it backwards. If you receive the camera and it won't "fire up", open the battery compartment and turn the battery around.

I was afraid I wouldn't close the battery compartment and water would leak in, but if you start the camera up and it's not closed all the way, it tells you to check the battery compartment.

I did also buy a "floatable" wrist band, this camera is heavy and will sink if you let it go.

All in all I would say it is a very good value and a nice little camera for the money!
review image review image review image
on June 25, 2014
I bought this from a retailer, sat on the shelf for a month before I used it. Finally got to use it last week on vacation and was very pleased with the ease of use, changing the settings for day, night, water and such. Charging it was easy and quick. It appeared to take great pictures via the camera display, it worked great underwater too. It was able to take multiple pictures very fast, I was liking it alot until the last day when I went to use it, it wouldnt turn on even though I knew it had a charge.

I reseated the battery with no luck, I left on it on the charger all night but still wouldnt turn on. I got home from vacation and hooked it up to my pc via HDMI and it turned on by itself to download pictures, but still wouldnt turn on via the on/off button when not hooked to PC. I called Fuji support and there only suggesting was to verify battery seated correctly. And then I saw pictures that I downloaded on my computer, I was disapointed in the clarity compared to my 3 year old Panasonic DMC-Z63, the pictures were not nearly as clear and vibrant. I returned the camera and would not recommend it.