5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, amazing mobile scanner!
Published on February 10, 2011 by RST_

3.0 out of 5 stars Compactness has its compromises
I own a desktop S1500M model, my third ScanSnap (the others were the original ScanSnap, the professional fi-5200C), and I bought the S1100 for my wife, to upgrade her S1300M. It's a sidegrade or downgrade at best.

Published on July 16, 2011 by Fazal Majid

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, amazing mobile scanner!, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100 CLR 600DPI USB Mobile Scanner (PA03610-B005) (Office Product)
I love the ScanSnap line and have had several models. I have adopted this product line at my workplace for personal scanners, and we have never had a failure. They're fast, reliable, durable and this model is no different. I've also owned the model slightly larger than this, the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner (PA03603-B005). I would definitely choose this model for the mobile traveling worker.

This is the first ultra mobile Scansnap, and I cannot convey how impressed I am with it! The device is literally about the size of two snickers bars put end to end. It's tiny, feels well constructed, and does not require external power. The software installation is quick is easy. It does not come with Adobe Acrobat Full version, like some of the older models used to include. It does not scan double sided as do many of the other Scansnap devices. If you've used a scansnap this one puts the brakes on and reverses you-- the paper actually feeds in the front and out the back-- Opposite of all Scansnaps. It works just fine once you realize what's going on there.

Those couple of drawbacks considered, if you are a mobile road warrior who needs to scan on the go, (signed paperwork, business cards, receipts, etc.) this is clearly my most preferred choice for a mobile scanner. The quality of scans is completely satisfactory, and honestly this little device does much better with tiny thin pieces of paper like receipts as compared to some of the larger models-- that are designed for a whole stack of paper-- and from time to time will skew a thin tiny receipt sideways and crinkle it up.

My thoughts on this model vs. the S1300: If you travel and set up at a hotel, temporary office or trade table type environment for a few days or all day, or need double sided scanning, the S1300 is a fine option. It's larger and takes more space if you're flying. If you travel or fly daily, or move from client to client during the day and want the smallest lightest option, this would be my recommended option. It would be perfect for sales forces, insurance company members, consultants, and others who go from place to place quickly, want minimal bulk, and the ability to scan a few documents quickly & easily. If you need to scan small stacks of paper, go with the S1300.

As I continue to have the scanner longer I will plan to update the review. But at this point, the install was easy, the scan quality is good and use is easy, and the device is unbelievably small yet feels "not flimsy" and I couldn't be any more pleased with it's functionality and portability. If you have any specific questions or would like a certain additional feature tested, please leave a comment below and I will answer you ASAP.

Update: I have added a photo of it in my hand for size comparison. It's unbelievably trim!

Update: I've completed my first business trip with 13 pages of various sized receipts, full page receipts, baggage fee wide receipts, etc. I was able to scan them all in about 2 minutes. As well, a couple features I didn't mention explicitly above: The scanner auto aligns the images-- you don't have to worry about feeding them through exactly straight. Finally, the software "sits and waits" between receipts you feed through, until you click "finished". This is a FAR superior software feature to the larger S1300-- because it takes a few moments to put down & pick up another receipt. The scanner sits patiently and waits for you to feed through as many receipts or pieces of paper as you want, with no urgency.

The scanning went perfectly and I'll post a few examples of the scans with no personal info on them as an example of scan quality. Since I've had the scanner I carry it with me in my backpack every day to & from work and everywhere I travel with my work backpack. Still going strong with no issues.

Update: I recently needed to scan some very plastic like paper and it didn't want to curl upwards to come out of the scanner. I then learned that the back "door" on the scanner can very easily be removed so the paper feeds straight through without bending it. Another question, and another problem solved easily.

Update: I discovered that the rear door can easily be removed so you can scan hard cards like plastic credit cards, membership cards, etc. right through the unit without bending them at all! Also great for older style hard photos as long as they're not too thick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious: The "MacBook Air" of Scanners, March 7, 2011
At last, this road warrior's arsenal is finally complete. I've tried multiple portable scanners over the years -- Antec, Neat, CardScan -- but they were always either slow, producing poor quality scans (Antec, Neat) or they lacked flexibility for scanning a range of document sizes (CardScan).

In the meantime I'd become an enthusiastic fan of Fujitsu's ScanSnap line, owning two desktop models, one for home and one for work. They performed so well, in fact, that I inevitably postponed all business trip scanning until I got back to the office, but after being out of town for a few days a longer, it was still always a chore I dreaded coming home to.

So the day the S1100 went on sale, I snapped one up right away, reviews-unread, and fortunately my faith in Fujitsu proved to be well-founded. The latest member of the ScanSnap family delivers most of the punch of the desktop models, including quality, speed, smart design and brilliantly simple-to-use software. A couple of features had to be sacrificed to whittle the ScanSnap down to ultraportable size that scans and chargers over a single USB cable, but they make for a reasonable compromise: the S1100 doesn't perform two-sided scans, and there's no multi-page feed. For my line of work this means I'm still able to process about 80% of my scans while I'm on the road -- usually at night, while chilling in front of the TV in my hotel room -- which gives me a huge head start on client follow-up and expense report filing. Just like its desktop big brothers, the S1100 is a little paper-eating monster, and you can work your way through an unwieldy stack of paper in a surprisingly short amount of time. The included Evernote integration is just icing on the cake, making uploads, filing, organizing and accessing files over multiple computers/devices a breeze.

There are two shortcomings with the new ScanSnap that aren't exactly deal-breakers, but still worth mentioning, although I'm still comfortable rounding up my recommendation to a 5-star review. A travel case would be greatly appreciated, especially since the S1100 is by its nature bound to spend much of its existence getting tossed around in suitcases. Build quality seems adequate enough, but I'm still concerned. For now, I've managed to recycle the slip cover case that came with my Neat scanner (so I guess it wasn't a total waste of a hundred bucks), but I'm still looking for something a little more solid.

The other annoyance is the ridiculously embarrassing business card software that's bundled with the ScanSnap line. I'm comfortable enough writing code that I managed to slap together a script that imports a PDF scan of business cards into my CardScan software -- which I never truly appreciated just how brilliant it was until I tried working with its horrendous, counter-intuitive competitors. Fujitsu really needs to track down a business card software that's worthy to be bundled in with the otherwise flawless ScanSnap line up, or they should just bury the option altogether, as fast as they can.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compactness has its compromises, July 16, 2011
Fazal Majid (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Pros: it is incredibly compact (a quarter the size of the S1300M), and you can scan right out of the optional case (highly recommended).The scanner itself feels faster than the S1300M, and the software bundle includes ABBYY FineReader OCR, which the original SW bundle with my wife's S1300M did not have (more recent versions may have added this). Unlike the S1300M, it works with a single USB port, so it is compatible with the MacBook Air (the S1300M requires 2 USB ports to be bus-powered, as it draws more than the 2.5 watts a single USB port can provide).

Cons: Unlike the S1300M, it does not scan duplex (you have to flip the sheet to scan both sides). It does not have a hopper like the S1300M's 10-sheet model and it does not have any provisions to load more than one sheet, so scanning multiple pages is a drag.

Life is about trade-offs - the reduced bulk means you are more likely to have it with you, but this is a strictly one-sheet scanner, not really a document scanner unlike the more capable S1300M, or the full-featured S1500M which adds ultrasonic double-feed detection, something vital if you scan large volumes of documents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Scanner Out there!!! Small and Portable!, April 14, 2011
Length:: 3:32 Mins

Here is a review I did on the ScanSnap S1100! Hope this helps you guys if you think about buying this..!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in awe, March 12, 2011
I seldom spend the time or effort to write product reviews but this is an exception. I purchased the S1100 scanner because I have switched from PC to Mac and my original scanner (Visioneer) will not work on Mac. I planned to get the NeatReceipt for Mac, and even got to the point of having it in my cart for checkout, but decided to do a little more research before clicking the 'spend money' button. Boy, am I glad that I did.

In researching the NeatReceipts reviews, at Amazon and elsewhere, it started to look like the product might not be much better than my Visioneer portable, which is a total piece of unreliable junk. Fortunately I picked up the name of ScanSnap from one of the NeatReceipt reviews and did research on that device. Finding nothing but positive reviews for the ScanSnap I decided to but that device instead of the NeatReceipts.

I got the device yesterday and have now spent a lot of time testing and using it, and I couldn't be more pleased. It is surprisingly fast, copy quality is excellent and the software is satisfactory. I have had no hangups, no errors and no jams. My only problem has been my mental block that wants me to put my documents in 'face down' for some reason.

Documents align perfectly when inserted into the feed slot, the vertical page output option is great for limited desk space, and images are cropped very nicely. I have scanned receipts that are wrinkled and so faded that I can't read them, but the scanned image looks like a new, easily readable receipt.

I guess to sum it up, I highly recommend this device. Good quality hardware, speed and software. I also recommend signing up the the Amazon 'Prime' 30 day free trial. I needed my scanner right away and using this Prime feature I got overnight delivery for just $3.99. I am a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!, March 4, 2011
Cincy Agent (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
I just received my S1100 yesterday and its AWESOME. (I am using a MacBook Pro) It is everything I have been looking for in a portable scanner. As a Realtor, I need to be connected anywhere I am, and this tool makes that possible. I can quickly scan contracts and have them in another agent's inbox before I leave the coffee shop!

I do wish it came with a case though. I will have to order one because I am worried it will be damaged in my crowded messenger bag.

I am in the process of digitizing all of my listing and sales contracts and this scanner has been surprisingly fast. In the office, I would be better suited with a larger model with an auto document feeder for long (20pg+) contracts, but this will work. Once I get everything digitized, adding new contracts will be a breeze.

One really cool thing is that the scanner has a feature that auto aligns the pages. Sometimes its kind of difficult to get the paper in exactly straight, but the scanner seems to straighten the paper as it feeds. I don't know how it does it, but it works well!

In closing, I whole-heartedly recommend this product for anyone looking for a portable scanner. The included software is great too. It doesn't include any junk, only the bare essentials.

By the way, I looked at some other models at my local computer store, and the Scansnap build quality far exceeds the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paperless Awesome, March 13, 2011
Martin Emde (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
1. Get your entire filing cabinet out.
2. Put the pile on your left, the scanner on your right, and a recycling bin under the scanner.
3. Use the direct upload to Google Docs (you can configure so this is automatic and you don't even have to click)
4. Have no paper in your filing cabinet a few hours later.
5. Everything you had is now searchable from any computer, anywhere, including your iPhone/Android.

The only downside is that we scanned everything so quickly that we don't get to use this awesome thing as often anymore. It's truly fun to do.

It's so small too, it's about the size of a largish TV remote and runs entirely off USB power. I couldn't ask for more. Buy this now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this scanner, April 6, 2011
After buying NeatReceipts from NeatCo I was completely burned by how horrible their scanner was. I struggled with justifying the cost of the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100 for several months. Finally, after my 100th time recalibrating the "CheapCo" scanner, I bit the bullet and ordered the Fujitsu. It arrived quickly (a day earlier than I expected) and worked perfectly the first time I used it.
Installation was a breeze and this scanner is FAST compared to the CheapCo scanner. The software is also easy to use. Just click on a desired destination (NeatReceipts, iPhoto, file, Evernote, Google Docs, etc) and press the Scan button on the scanner. Insert one sheet, flip it over and run it through again to scan a second side. The result is a multipage PDF in a few seconds.
I've had this canner for a few months and it has yet to give me any trouble. Well worth the investment.
The only thing I wish this scanner had was a carrying case. It's designed for portability but it would be nice to have a felt bag or other case to drop the scanner into when transporting or storing. For the cost, I think Fujitsu could afford a little perk for this scanner.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES IT DOES WORK WITH A MAC!!!, June 16, 2011
It is unfortunate that some other users had difficulties using this scanner with a mac. The instructions are simple, install the software, then plug the scanner in via the USB port. I am not sure how that can be misconstrued, but clearly some people just do not understand their own computers or instructions.

This scanner is fast and works very well. I am getting rid of the huge boxes of paperwork that I've had laying around for years. Digital copies are the best way to go, especially with evernote.

Note: during the install (on a MAC) a second window will open for permissions for Cardiris for ScanSnap. You have to SCROLL DOWN to the bottom in order to continue with the installation. I can see how that might confuse some people, but it is not a big deal, just worth mentioning.

I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this scanner to anyone looking to clear up some space. It also seems very portable, anyone looking for something small and reliable this is the one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, May 2, 2012
Scott (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
I haven't been this pleased by a product in a long time. At first, I was hesitant about the price, but after scanning a few hundred pictures, I know it's worth it.

First, the rationale--I received a hand-scanner from work to do some research, where you manually rake it across a photo. Short of being a nightmare, it was, however, a pain. Dust was an issue (white lines/streaks), and stability as well (trying to prevent rotations and the smearing of photos that were too glossy). It was quick, and saved to onboard microSD, which was great, but then you have to go back and look at them on a computer to see what didn't work. And, good luck rectifying those.

For some family photos (in the process of archiving hundreds of pounds), I decided to upgrade. Saw this scanner and the auto rotate/skew and auto-feed, and decided to give it a shot. Bingo! Plug it in, and you're seconds from scanning. It stays off/dormant when the cute lid/cover is closed, and when you open it, it lights up, and provokes your software. There are a ton of options, but I set mine to grey scale and color versions of "600 dpi, let me feed you, you auto-name, and let me feed one after another, save them as different names, and put them in a folder". Feed a picture, it spits it out, it's saved automatically, and you can start putting the next picture in. Brilliant! When you're done, click finish, and the scan window on the computer goes away. You can scan pictures that are merely an inch or so by an inch or so (it crops automatically!!), all the way up to anything that's 8.5" or so wide by however long.

It's nice to look at the pictures in the folder as you're scanning to ensure there's no dust. Wait, dust? Yeah, some of these pictures are quite ancient, and now matter how much I wiped or sprayed air, dust gets in. Is this a problem? No. Lift up the scanner lid, and there's a strip of glass that's a cinch to clean! After maybe 100 pictures, I noticed one white streak, cleaned it, and haven't seen it since.

You can scan to JPG or PDF or whatever you'd like. In the slowest scanning mode, you can scan about 28 inches in length per minute. It doubles in speed when you switch from 600dpi to 300dpi. I'm doing high, but don't mind the slow because it's not too slow. I just scanned 28 8x10 photos and it took 12 minutes or so.

Quality is awesome--I couldn't ask for better colors and images.

It will also do full duplex scans, apparently, where it prompts you to flip the paper.

UPDATE: I've scanned over 2,000 pictures with this. The only issue I have is that reds and brown seem to be 'overmodulated' and splotchy. In other words, light reds and browns go to this dark red shade, making a lot of the pictures useless. I turned to my flatbed (which Fuji recommended, as opposed to this ScanSnap) for scanning any pictures with reds/browns of certain shades. For EVERYTHING else, colors, greys, it's great. There are no controls for color correction, so nothing can be done about it. That's what tech support at Fuji said. For old pictures, you'll be dusting more often. I use a strip of black thick paper to check and see if I have any dust in my sensor, taking a look at the image on the computer before moving on (every once in a while).