5.0 out of 5 stars The updated S1300i brings you faster speeds
As you've probably seen, the original Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Scanner (PA03603-B005) has received great reviews here on Amazon. So what's this S1300i (notice the "i") all about?

What's New?
Published 24 months ago by Ryan

1.0 out of 5 stars Substandard Software
Published 21 months ago by Bartholomew Q.

5.0 out of 5 stars The updated S1300i brings you faster speeds, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Document Scanner (Office Product)

What's New?
Basically, it's just faster, up to 1.5x faster (up to 12 double-sided color pages per minute) than the original S1300 model. Everything else seems to be the same. Fujitsu boasts some new software features, but from what I understand, these features are also available to the original S1300 through a software update:

- Scan to mobile: you still need to have your ScanSnap connected to your computer and your computer powered on, but you can easily transfer scans to your iOS or Android device over WiFi

- Scan to DropBox: Technically, you could do this before since you could just set your destination folder to your DropBox folder, but now DropBox is directly supported

- ScanSnap Folder (PC-only): This sets up a temporary folder that allows you to then quickly attach a scan to a program that is not directly support. For example, if you wanted to e-mail a receipt through G-Mail's web interface, you would scan it to the ScanSnap Folder, then attach it from G-Mail's website. The folder automatically deletes the document after a configurable number of days.

PROs

+ This thing can handle pretty much everything I throw at it: receipts, forms, photos, even old greeting cards. Some things you can't scan include anything with whiteout or a sticky substance on it since it can get caught in the rollers or smear up the scanning glass (although, these things can be cleaned). Even though a document feeds in crooked, the software does a great job correcting the slant in most cases.

+ You can power it with two USB ports, although scanning is a bit slower compared to when it is powered by the AC adapter.

+ Scanning directly to Evernote is awesome: just select Evernote from the Quick Menu that displays after the scan and your document appears in the Evernote application instantly

+ It works with Macs and Windows and includes software for both (there are some differences, such as ScanSnap's Organizer program which is PC-only)

+ Paper jams are easy to clear by just opening up the front flap

+ Front and back scanning in one pass is amazing! The software can intelligently distinguish if a document is one-sided and then removes the blank pages from your scan

+ This thing is sturdy! I wasn't expecting it to be as heavy as it is, which is a good thing. When folded up, this thing is a solid brick.

CONs

- OCR (converting the document into usable text) can take a while to process after scanning (my multifunction printer/scanner seems to handle OCR a lot quicker, albeit less accurately than the ScanSnap)

- It can't handle a huge stack of documents (maybe about 10-15 pages), but it's fairly easy to "sneak" a few pages in at the end while it's running. UPDATE: Thanks to Andrei in the comments for pointing out that the software can be configured to prompt you if you want to add additional scans to the current document.

Overall, if you're looking to go paperless in your home or office, you can't go wrong with the ScanSnap 1300i!

UPDATE: 1.5 years later and this scanner is still going strong! Jacc on the third page of the comments has some great information for "power users" for securing your documents and setting up profiles.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent document scanner, okay for other stuff..., October 27, 2012
I've been on the lookout for a true duplex scanner for quite some time. Three years ago, I purchased an Epson V500 Photo, and while it was a great photo scanner and did well at scanning single sided, one-page documents, I was a bit daunted at the idea of scan/flip/switch/flip/switch/flip/etc... scanning for my longer documents. I didn't want to rely on a scanner which used a duplex document feeder (but still scanned one side at a time) because they tend to be unreliable, especially if the paper isn't perfect.

I had pretty much settled on a Fujitsu ScanSnap brand scanner, because for a long time, that was about the only affordable duplex scanner. I wasn't happy with the need to choose between Mac or PC, though, because I use both, but for different things. Unfortunately, all of Fujitsu's products where specifically limited to one platform or the other. I ended up putting off the purchase multiple times just because I wasn't happy with the offerings available.

I would go back every few months, though, and look again, both at Fujitsu and others. When I did a search on duplex scanners a couple of months ago, I noticed several new offerings, both from Fujitsu and other companies. Epson has a new Workforce series, Brother has a couple of new machines and Fujitsu has the new S1300i, which finally had both Windows and Mac compatibility. After a bit of indecision, I finally settled on the Scansnap, ordered it from Amazon and waited impatiently for the scanner to arrive.

Here are my observations after a month (and over 1000 scans) of using it.
The Good:
From the beginning I've enjoyed the ScanSnap s1300i. The ScanSnap Organizer program works well for keeping my PDFs organized, and the interface for the scanner software is pretty easy for scanning documents, both single page and multipage.
The scanner is able to be powered by a second USB cable (which makes it portable), or by plugging it in to the wall (which will produce faster scans).
There is only a single button on the scanner, which is lit when the scanner is on and ready for scanning, or dark when it has powered itself down or you've closed the "lid" (the fold down document feeder will power off the unit when it is closed).
It provides excellent quality PDF files, and the OCR capabilities (provided by an OEM copy of ABBYY Finereader) work better than expected for most documents.
The Automatic Document Feeder is rated at ten pages, but I can get at least 20 or so in there without a problem, then I can drop 10 or so more at a time after it has scanned some. I have successfully scanned 70 page documents in this way.
The scanner is able to be used with either (or both) Mac and PC machines.

The Bad:
The software isn't TWAIN compliant, meaning you can't use it from within other programs, like Adobe Acrobat or PhotoShop. This is only a minor annoyance, since you can scan to a file, then automatically open the file with a particular program (chosen from the ScanSnap Manager program).
The Scanner is OKAY at scanning photos. I did a side by side comparison between the ScanSnap and my Epson, and the Epson wins the quality contest, hands down. You can readily see the JPG mosaic patterns and artifacts (and you can ONLY save image files as JPG) in the ScanSnap file, even on the highest scan settings.
The scan settings are limited to 1200 dpi for black and white, and 600 for color. This is more than adequate for documents (I generally scan at 600 b&w/300 color), but it is a limitation. I don't know why the resolution is different for b&w vs color, but it is.
Since the scanner is a "Sheetfed" type, you can't scan things which are too stiff to go through the paper path. This isn't a problem for most things, and it should be pretty obvious when you're purchasing the scanner that this will be a limitation, but just in case you haven't thought about it, there it is.
The scanner has "consumables", meaning the pick rollers and pad assembly, which are rated at 100,000 and 10,000 scans, respectively. This is actually both good and bad, since these parts aren't user replaceable on most units, and they will just start giving sheet feed errors (too many pages at a time, or not grabbing any pages). However most scanners pads will be rated for more scans.
The scanner has a problem reading "legal" paper if the scan begins with "letter" paper. The manual says you can't mix different paper lengths in the same scan batch, but you actually can do this, so long as the first page scanned is a "legal" size sheet.

The Ugly:
Nothing. There are no "showstopper" problems with this scanner that I have come across.

Overall, I love the scanner. It is great for scanning documents, which is the exact reason I purchased it. I'm giving it four stars out of five, and mostly knocking the one star off because of the JPG quality, and the mixed paper length problem. It's really more of a 4.25, but regardless, I can't give it five stars because of these issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, August 7, 2012
Ok, so my title is a bit emphatic...but it's true.

If you are looking for a scanner that is fast, easy to set up, reliable and comes with a lot of options for output then the 1300i is what you are looking for.

I use to own a Neat scanner and nothing against them, but the 1300i is so much faster and easier, plus it comes with much better output options. I like that I can output to Evernote or to Word or Excel and it really is super fast. The OCR software works as advertised and the set up was super easy.

My only "complaint" is the feeder only holds as small amount of sheets but then again it isn't advertised as having a huge sheet feeder.

I really like this scanner and while it's not as cheap as a flatbed scanner it is far more useful (especially since it does both sides of the paper).

As you can tell I am completely sold on the 1300i, so much so that it got me to write my first product review on Amazon after buying products here for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome scanner - even for photographs!, July 19, 2012
This product is amazing and handy and light and... I cannot say enough good things about it. I am in the process of scanning in our photographs from years ago, and the choices for compression and colors, etc is amazing. The files can be as big or as small as you like. And, you can create profiles for each different scanning type you wish to perform.
Works great for scanning directly to Evernote, too. We are moving to being a paperless (or reduced!) household. Get this! And I don't think you need to spend the cash on the 1500. IMO.

1.0 out of 5 stars Substandard Software, October 9, 2012
I bought the Fujitsu S1300i ScanSnap Scanner after doing research and reading the reviews on Amazon. I specifically needed to scan product/price lists into Excel to make pivot tables for my business. I had tried the free demo version of Abbyy FineReader on my slow flatbed scanner, and it worked perfectly. Since Fujitsu's advertising says that with the included Abbyy FineReader software, you can "scan to Excel" this purchase seemed like an ideal solution.

The scanner itself works fine, if all you want to do is convert paper to PDF files. The paper-straightening function is especially good for small items. But, the software Fujitsu provides is pitiful! Once the sheets are scanned, and the ScanSnap does so quickly, it takes anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds to process. Then you must go through a laborious multi-step procedure to declare where to save the file. No pre-sets to send it directly to where you want. So while scanning itself is smooth and effortless, the software slows the process down to a crawl.

The business card software has a "database" that is limited to the person's name, business name, e-mail, phone and fax numbers. No way to add useless information like an address. Have fun transferring it to Outlook!

With regard to my original application, Fujitsu's claim that you can scan to Excel is not only misleading, it borders on being fraudulent. Yes, you can scan into an Excel file. But the results are useless garbage. From a six-column product sheet that is already formatted as a table, the first two columns appear in Excel correctly, the second two are placed below the first two and they appear one below the other with extra rows inserted between them. The last two columns appear below the others. Multiple pages appear in this same format. Scanned into Word, the information appears lovely, but it cutting and pasting it into Excel yields the same results. Ditto for cutting and pasting from a .pdf file. Even if cutting and pasting worked, I bought the scanner to save time, not to expend more.

Surely there must be some setting that will make this right! I called Abbyy. They were pleasant but told me that they had sold the software to Fujitsu and did not support it. Any software Abbyy supports requires a scanner with TWAIN driver. If I needed help, I would need to speak to the folks at Fujitsu. The agent at Fujitsu seemed bored by my problem. He suggested I try changing the one and only setting that the ScanSnap version of FineReader allows. (Duh! I had already tried this with no success.) There is no ability to choose areas of the document to scan, as there is with even the demo version of FineReader. It's impossible to get the results I need from this software. Well, I'd have to spend the extra money and buy FineReader from Abbyy and connect it to the scanner with a TWAIN driver. Fujitsu informed me that NONE of their ScanSnap line has TWAIN drivers. If I wanted a scanner with TWAIN driver from them, I could take my pick from another line of $600-$1200 scanners.

So, dear reader, if you are considering buying any ScanSnap scanner, be warned. Their scanners work ONLY with the proprietary driver and software that Fujitsu supplies. Their advertising uses the names of other software companies, but the Fujitsu version is stripped down to osteoporosis-eroded bones. And once Fujitsu has your money, they could care less whether their product meets your needs or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars After 1 Year - the most well designed piece of equipment/software I've ever used My absolute favorite piece of equipment ever!, January 7, 2014
Susan Mathieu (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had my Scansnap s1300i for a year now. I treat it roughly but It never falters. I use it to save every single document related to my restaurant - grocery receipts, tractor-feed receipts, invoices, stapled items, business cards, payroll runs, employee documents, credit cards (not recommended), and more. I also use if for my personal documents and to manage my mother's estate. Mail goes directly to my purse and from there to my Scansnap and from there to recycle (sometimes by way of a shredder).

Scansnap is like some little genie just waiting to help you - if you scan crookedly, it straightens, if you scan sideways or upside down - it's very easy to fix, if you want to add documents to something already scanned - its a snap, if you're scanning one-sided and suddenly want to switch to two-sided, it takes two clicks; if a paper jams (due to crumpling, missing parts, too many staples, etc.) - you just pull it out and re-feed; you can start and stop at will - it simply doesn't get confused. If a paper is faded and thin - it still turns out legible. I haven't found anything I can't scan. Really - the design is incredible - a sturdy little box with one push button. That's it. Coupled with the very very smart software - it's somehow, always one step ahead and keeping organized is effortless.

I bought my scanner with the Rack1-filer software which I didn't like and threw away. I use the filing system that comes with the scanner - some sort of 'file cabinet' thing which I like very much. Since I've put all of my filing cabinets on the cloud, I can access my entire business from anywhere; and I do. It's so easy to look up pricing from last year, or check the expiration date on something, or check a manual, or find an address, or work on a quote. Also, I am no longer anxious about losing things - important paperwork - paperwork needed for an audit - leases - contracts - payroll computations - employee letters; things that I used to misplace routinely are now secure. As documents are filed with Scansnap, it easy to determine if something is missing - just sort by name - and in a second you'll notice - for instance - a missing 3rd quarter L&I report or January Sales. Lastly, viewing documents no longer as risky as it is in the physical world. The documents stay put. And, it's quick - I can browse through a month's worth of sales closeouts (filed in one document) in just seconds. If something is hard to read, I just blow it up!

Some of the things I've learned from this endeavor are -
1. Figure out your file and document naming system before you start. First you have to decide what will go in each Cabinet, and then add and name the folders. I make use of one cabinet for each year of my business and one general cabinet for things that don't roll over at the end of the year - employee records, equipment, manuals, etc. As you move document files into a folder, the name of the folder will be appended to the file's current name. This is good since it means you don't have to type as much. If I expect to have many documents from one source, I make a folder for that source and just use the document's date as its name. If I have only a few documents from a source, I add the source name in front of the date and make a more general folder. Even though each of my Cabinets represents a specific year - I still use the year in each document's name. That way if I miss-file, or move a file, or whatever - I still know what year it belongs to. Figuring out your naming scheme is probably the most difficult part of moving to a paperless office.

2. When scanning crummy documents - (thermal paper, torn and crumpled, thick and thin and stained things) start feeding the document but hold on to it lightly until a little tension develops. This will prevent the document from rotating through the scan or performing some other undesirable gymnastic movement.

3. If you are scanning and a potential problem arises - paper doesn't quite feed all the way through - assume that the 'read' was incomplete and re-feed the offending paper. At worst, you'll get a duplicate page which can be easily removed. If it's too mangled to feed from the top, flip it and feed from the bottom or, try it sideways. Scansnap will probably rotate it for you, but if not, you can do it yourself the next time you view it.

4. When you setup your Scansnap Folder Default Settings, choose the settings you use most often. For instance, I use single sided, auto color detect, automatic resolution. When I need to override these, it takes just two 'right clicks' - it's no trouble to switch myriad times during the scan of one set of documents. And, you don't have to undo anything when you're finished. As soon as you start scanning another set of documents, you will revert to your default settings.

5. Although it might seem annoying, don't try to set a stack of paper on the scanner and expect it to feed itself. It will, if you have regular paper in good shape, but for the kind of scanning I do, it doesn't work well. I feed all sizes and weights and lengths of paper jumbled together and find I need to place them one by one in the 'hopper'.

While the Scansnap can convert your documents to Word or Excel or searchable PDF, I find this is unnecessary for my application and it slows things down. Scansnap can also 'read' a highlighted area on a document and turn it into a search key. But again, I found this was overkill and wasted a lot of my time.

I use this thing in it's simplest mode and it's truly great. I am continually amazed by how durable, smart, helpful, and well thought out it is. Buy one and your life will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I knew about sooner, October 16, 2012
At this stage of my life...having to go through tons of papers and photos from my deceased parents, and my from my wife's deceased parents and grandparents; I decided to digitize everything and not put my children through the ordeal. My flatbed scanner was too labor-intensive and time consuming for the task. I bought the NEAT System. It is great for receipts and certain papers, but not fast enough...especially for two-sided documents. Then, I learned about the Fujitsu S1300i. Two-sided, sheet feeder that scans documents rapidly and files them wherever I indicate, either on site or in the cloud. Plus, the quality is superb! Additionally, I discovered how easy it is to continually feed photos. The output is .jpg, and the resolution can be increased substantially--that setting slows down the scanning speed, but is still faster than laying my photos on the flatbed scanner.
Te Fujitsu will get a good workout for a long time as I will be digitizing my life...probably until I die.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Purchase, September 20, 2012
I am using the Fujitsu S1300i on a Macintosh. S1300i was easy to set up and comes with cords of a reasonable length. It does a reasonable job of accepting papers and receipts and the holding tray resizes reasonably well. It sometimes struggles to grab receipts well if they have an uneven bottom and receipts sometimes need to be tended as they are grabbed by the machine, but aside from not having more than one roller-grabber (a flaw in my eyes) I'm not sure what could have helped much with this. It scans quickly and has good quality based on the file size/readability tradeoff you have in mind. OCR also works great. For the most part I am satisfied with the performance of this unit (though I do think there is room in the market for something magnificent--something which doesn't yet exist).

I am fairly disappointed with the software, though none of the flaws are so terrible that I regret my purchase. If I used this product extensively on a day-to-day basis this would bother me much more. For example, there are multiple scan-to options and I haven't found an option to streamline this process by defaulting to one (which would be nice if you've hired it for one task). If a scan works out poorly there's no immediate cancel/delete option that I have seen. There's no way to easily accept input and store to a file after scanning that I have discovered. The best I have managed is to tab from a focus on file naming options and hit enter to store the scanned document. A keyboard shortcut or a simple return would have been preferable. In general, the interface works to accomplish everything but rarely goes the extra mile to make a feature particularly easy or streamlined to work with. As another example of this, you can create your own file-name formats, but they do not honor the automatic date symbols used by the default options. I do appreciate that it does not try to force some proprietary file-management system on me.

All said, I would consider this product to be adequate to good and, after experimenting with and researching some competing devices, that leaves this product among the highest tier of document scanners available anywhere near this price range. If you're looking for this sort of product I would be happy to recommend it. If someone comes along and creates the high-quality document scanner which focuses on good customer experience and quality from top to bottom it could easily land well ahead of this product in terms of quality and workflow.

Pros
- Decent construction quality and reasonable cord lengths.
- Fast and dependable for letter-sized documents.
- Usually does a good job in rotating, balancing, and reorienting scanned documents.
- Works well with managing your own files into directories.
- Good in a market where no competing devices are great.

Cons
- When feeding receipts sometimes the papers need to be guided a little for proper feeding.
- Two grabber-rollers would have resulted in less paper tugged in at an angle.
- Software interface is good enough, but never goes the extra mile.
- Storing documents requires more steps than it should.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but I'm not happy, November 6, 2012
Kurt (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
So, I ordered this a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. I played with it for about 3 hours so far.

A few random thoughts.

1.) Amazon and their 'smart' upsale technique wasted about $5.00 for me. - People who bought this 'also' bought.... and here is a USB cable. So, I click. - DON'T !!!!
The product comes with all the cables you need. Further, the one that Amazon suggests WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS SCANNER. It has the 'B' connector but the Scanner requires a 'mini' connector.

2.) Wanted to dump 2000 Business cards.
* Ok, it scans em fast. Enough anyway - no complaints here.
* the OCR works sometimes - I've seen a LOT better - but I realize that Business cards are not what they used to be. - Shoot, I've got one made out of wood!
* 2 sided cards - TOTAL CRAP! - Nothing obvious to handle this.
* CardIRIS - software shipped to handle Business Cards - Total CRAP - ships as 4.0.13 - of course... they want you to register - and IMMEDIATELY try to upsell you $80.00 more. That is my idea of Bait-n-switch. Not sure what you would call it. I call it CRAP!
* while I'm on the subject of CRAP - you'll love this one - there is no SAVE function in CardIRIS that I can find. - so, scan, convert, export AND LOSE ALL IMAGES -- Rinse and repeat for as long as you've got cards you want to import to your address book.
* oh yea, and don't do too many at once - I put about 30-40 in once - got too far ahead of the software - it crashed - had to start over.
* This is probably good for a few small (tiny) batches of cards. Don't expect this to save you any real time on a large batch. If you are a fast typist, you can do it manually faster. OCR failed on 40-50% of my cards. having to futz with 2 cards for one, 2-sided card slowed me down more - Losses with the crash - it just goes on and on....

3.) Scan to Evernote - LOVE IT!!!!
It has 2 options that I have found so far.
* Scan to Document an it combines all pages into one (PDF) note and OCRs it.
* Scan to Note and it creates seperate notes for each page (JPG) scanned.

4.) Scan to file - excellent.

5.) Workmanship of device - Yea, feels solid. I like it so far.

Summary - if you are looking for a Business Card reader - this is hardly 'Best of Class'. It is in my opinion, nothing but a bait-n-switch. - The documentation for 4X product on the IRIS site, indicates as one of its major features - 2 sided business card support. Since that doesn't seem to be true, I won't be sinking ANY more with those jokers.

It is unfortunate that I wanted to use this first to clear my drawers of old Business Cards. Everything else that I have tried works like an Apple - It just works.
But NOT the CardIRIS crap that comes with the hardware for handling the Business Cards.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken within 60 days, March 10, 2013
Don't buy this item. I own 2 of the larger ScanSnap 1500 units and had no issues. This smaller model is plagued with paper jams and consistent disconnecting issues from my PC.

Rate and Discover Movies