Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Deluxe Bundle with Rack2-Filer Mobile Document Scanner For PC (PA03643-B015)
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 7, 2014
I've had my Scansnap s1300i for a year now. I treat it roughly but It never falters. I use it to save every single document related to my restaurant - grocery receipts, tractor-feed receipts, invoices, stapled items, business cards, payroll runs, employee documents, credit cards (not recommended), and more. I also use if for my personal documents and to manage my mother's estate. Mail goes directly to my purse and from there to my Scansnap and from there to recycle (sometimes by way of a shredder).

Scansnap is like some little genie just waiting to help you - if you scan crookedly, it straightens, if you scan sideways or upside down - it's very easy to fix, if you want to add documents to something already scanned - its a snap, if you're scanning one-sided and suddenly want to switch to two-sided, it takes two clicks; if a paper jams (due to crumpling, missing parts, too many staples, etc.) - you just pull it out and re-feed; you can start and stop at will - it simply doesn't get confused. If a paper is faded and thin - it still turns out legible. I haven't found anything I can't scan. Really - the design is incredible - a sturdy little box with one push button. That's it. Coupled with the very very smart software - it's somehow, always one step ahead and keeping organized is effortless.

I bought my scanner with the Rack1-filer software which I didn't like and threw away. I use the filing system that comes with the scanner - some sort of 'file cabinet' thing which I like very much. Since I've put all of my filing cabinets on the cloud, I can access my entire business from anywhere; and I do. It's so easy to look up pricing from last year, or check the expiration date on something, or check a manual, or find an address, or work on a quote. Also, I am no longer anxious about losing things - important paperwork - paperwork needed for an audit - leases - contracts - payroll computations - employee letters; things that I used to misplace routinely are now secure. As documents are filed with Scansnap, it easy to determine if something is missing - just sort by name - and in a second you'll notice - for instance - a missing 3rd quarter L&I report or January Sales. Lastly, viewing documents no longer as risky as it is in the physical world. The documents stay put. And, it's quick - I can browse through a month's worth of sales closeouts (filed in one document) in just seconds. If something is hard to read, I just blow it up!

Some of the things I've learned from this endeavor are -
1. Figure out your file and document naming system before you start. First you have to decide what will go in each Cabinet, and then add and name the folders. I make use of one cabinet for each year of my business and one general cabinet for things that don't roll over at the end of the year - employee records, equipment, manuals, etc. As you move document files into a folder, the name of the folder will be appended to the file's current name. This is good since it means you don't have to type as much. If I expect to have many documents from one source, I make a folder for that source and just use the document's date as its name. If I have only a few documents from a source, I add the source name in front of the date and make a more general folder. Even though each of my Cabinets represents a specific year - I still use the year in each document's name. That way if I miss-file, or move a file, or whatever - I still know what year it belongs to. Figuring out your naming scheme is probably the most difficult part of moving to a paperless office.

2. When scanning crummy documents - (thermal paper, torn and crumpled, thick and thin and stained things) start feeding the document but hold on to it lightly until a little tension develops. This will prevent the document from rotating through the scan or performing some other undesirable gymnastic movement.

3. If you are scanning and a potential problem arises - paper doesn't quite feed all the way through - assume that the 'read' was incomplete and re-feed the offending paper. At worst, you'll get a duplicate page which can be easily removed. If it's too mangled to feed from the top, flip it and feed from the bottom or, try it sideways. Scansnap will probably rotate it for you, but if not, you can do it yourself the next time you view it.

4. When you setup your Scansnap Folder Default Settings, choose the settings you use most often. For instance, I use single sided, auto color detect, automatic resolution. When I need to override these, it takes just two 'right clicks' - it's no trouble to switch myriad times during the scan of one set of documents. And, you don't have to undo anything when you're finished. As soon as you start scanning another set of documents, you will revert to your default settings.

5. Although it might seem annoying, don't try to set a stack of paper on the scanner and expect it to feed itself. It will, if you have regular paper in good shape, but for the kind of scanning I do, it doesn't work well. I feed all sizes and weights and lengths of paper jumbled together and find I need to place them one by one in the 'hopper'.

While the Scansnap can convert your documents to Word or Excel or searchable PDF, I find this is unnecessary for my application and it slows things down. Scansnap can also 'read' a highlighted area on a document and turn it into a search key. But again, I found this was overkill and wasted a lot of my time.

I use this thing in it's simplest mode and it's truly great. I am continually amazed by how durable, smart, helpful, and well thought out it is. Buy one and your life will be better.
66 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2012
I've been on the lookout for a true duplex scanner for quite some time. Three years ago, I purchased an Epson V500 Photo, and while it was a great photo scanner and did well at scanning single sided, one-page documents, I was a bit daunted at the idea of scan/flip/switch/flip/switch/flip/etc... scanning for my longer documents. I didn't want to rely on a scanner which used a duplex document feeder (but still scanned one side at a time) because they tend to be unreliable, especially if the paper isn't perfect.

I had pretty much settled on a Fujitsu ScanSnap brand scanner, because for a long time, that was about the only affordable duplex scanner. I wasn't happy with the need to choose between Mac or PC, though, because I use both, but for different things. Unfortunately, all of Fujitsu's products were specifically limited to one platform or the other. I ended up putting off the purchase multiple times just because I wasn't happy with the offerings available.

I would go back every few months, though, and look again, both at Fujitsu and others. When I did a search on duplex scanners a couple of months ago, I noticed several new offerings, both from Fujitsu and other companies. Epson has a new Workforce series, Brother has a couple of new machines and Fujitsu has the new S1300i, which finally had both Windows and Mac compatibility. After a bit of indecision, I finally settled on the Scansnap, ordered it from Amazon and waited impatiently for the scanner to arrive.

Here are my observations after a month (and over 1000 scans) of using it.
The Good:
From the beginning I've enjoyed the ScanSnap s1300i. The ScanSnap Organizer program works well for keeping my PDFs organized, and the interface for the scanner software is pretty easy for scanning documents, both single page and multipage.
The scanner is able to be powered by a second USB cable (which makes it portable), or by plugging it in to the wall (which will produce faster scans).
There is only a single button on the scanner, which is lit when the scanner is on and ready for scanning, or dark when it has powered itself down or you've closed the "lid" (the fold down document feeder will power off the unit when it is closed).
It provides excellent quality PDF files, and the OCR capabilities (provided by an OEM copy of ABBYY Finereader) work better than expected for most documents.
The Automatic Document Feeder is rated at ten pages, but I can get at least 20 or so in there without a problem, then I can drop 10 or so more at a time after it has scanned some. I have successfully scanned 70 page documents in this way.
The scanner is able to be used with either (or both) Mac and PC machines.

The Bad:
The software isn't TWAIN compliant, meaning you can't use it from within other programs, like Adobe Acrobat or PhotoShop. This is only a minor annoyance, since you can scan to a file, then automatically open the file with a particular program (chosen from the ScanSnap Manager program).
The Scanner is OKAY at scanning photos. I did a side by side comparison between the ScanSnap and my Epson, and the Epson wins the quality contest, hands down. You can readily see the JPG mosaic patterns and artifacts (and you can ONLY save image files as JPG) in the ScanSnap file, even on the highest scan settings.
The scan settings are limited to 1200 dpi for black and white, and 600 for color. This is more than adequate for documents (I generally scan at 600 b&w/300 color), but it is a limitation. I don't know why the resolution is different for b&w vs color, but it is.
Since the scanner is a "Sheetfed" type, you can't scan things which are too stiff to go through the paper path. This isn't a problem for most things, and it should be pretty obvious when you're purchasing the scanner that this will be a limitation, but just in case you haven't thought about it, there it is.
The scanner has "consumables", meaning the pick rollers and pad assembly, which are rated at 100,000 and 10,000 scans, respectively. This is actually both good and bad, since these parts aren't user replaceable on most units, and they will just start giving sheet feed errors (too many pages at a time, or not grabbing any pages). However most scanners pads will be rated for more scans.
The scanner has a problem reading "legal" paper if the scan begins with "letter" paper. The manual says you can't mix different paper lengths in the same scan batch, but you actually can do this, so long as the first page scanned is a "legal" size sheet.

The Ugly:
Nothing. There are no "showstopper" problems with this scanner that I have come across.

Overall, I love the scanner. It is great for scanning documents, which is the exact reason I purchased it. I'm giving it four stars out of five, and mostly knocking the one star off because of the JPG quality, and the mixed paper length problem. It's really more of a 4.25, but regardless, I can't give it five stars because of these issues.
55 comments| 311 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2013
I purchased this to scan documents in the field when I don't have the luxury of bringing 'em back to the office. I also wanted to be able to scan receipts. It augments a Kodak i40 workhorse. I use it with a Macbook Pro 17, primarily running Windows.

The scanner comes with a couple of CDs that I installed first. I purchased this bundle with the Rack2File software because I've been looking for better document management software than my PaperPort.

The CDs only took a few minutes to install. I had to reboot after plugging in the scanner to have it properly recognized, so I would recommend doing that as soon as the disks are installed. Once installed, you can either use a USB power cable or an AC adapter. Note that you cannot power the scanner from the USB data cable, The USB power cable goes from a USB type "A" (the rectangle on your computer) to a round coax power connector--not an easy one to find so don't lose it.

When running with USB power, the scanner is slow and images are a wee bit distorted--stretched out in some places. This appears to be a known shortcoming, and my research determined that it's a shortcoming for all slow scanners. Running from the AC adapter yields much faster scans and the distortion vanishes. The distortion does not make the documents unusable nor does it affect the ability to OCR documents--it's purely aesthetic.

The scanner button invokes Fujitsu's ScanSnap software and begins scanning. The software lets you feed images into various programs very intuitively. I really like the ScanSnap software.

Similarly, I like the Rack2File software. It has the look and feel of manilla folders in Pendaflex hangers crossed with end-tab folders stuffed on a shelf. The small additional charge is substantially less than purchasing a license on its own.

I purchased the case with the scanner and would recommend it to anybody who may tote the scanner around. The case has a false bottom that gives you room for the cables and AC adapter.

Overall, this is a better-than-average scanner. I wouldn't use it to scan boxes full of documents every day, but for the small numbers one runs across in the field it's an excellent choice.
55 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
Ok, so my title is a bit emphatic...but it's true.

If you are looking for a scanner that is fast, easy to set up, reliable and comes with a lot of options for output then the 1300i is what you are looking for.

I use to own a Neat scanner and nothing against them, but the 1300i is so much faster and easier, plus it comes with much better output options. I like that I can output to Evernote or to Word or Excel and it really is super fast. The OCR software works as advertised and the set up was super easy.

My only "complaint" is the feeder only holds as small amount of sheets but then again it isn't advertised as having a huge sheet feeder.

I really like this scanner and while it's not as cheap as a flatbed scanner it is far more useful (especially since it does both sides of the paper).

As you can tell I am completely sold on the 1300i, so much so that it got me to write my first product review on Amazon after buying products here for years!
11 comment| 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
I have used a Fujitsu scanner since 1999. The previous model died only because the software wasn't compatible with Windows 7. This one is perfect. It is compact, portable, fast. I use it to scan and send documents via a hotspot on my I-phone and a 400w inverter in my vehicle from deep in the S Tx oil fields with never a glitch. I wouldn't have anything else. The first day I had it I used it to scan about 200 pages of legal documents... while sitting on the sofa watching sports.
on February 12, 2013
I love my scansnap S1300i scanner. It is small and doesn't take up much space on my desk. It does the job well and if you need to scan more than the the document holder will allow, just feed more papers while in progress.

If I were to buy this again, I would probably not purchase the bundle with the Rack2-Filer. Although it is OK and has some features like the pages turning, etc. it is not needed. The software that comes with the scanner works just fine and allows you to keep your files seperate whereas the Rack2Filer combines them all in a folder.

A great little scanner! Would highly recommend. Buy the scanner only though, not the bundle with Rack2-Filer.
on October 16, 2012
At this stage of my life...having to go through tons of papers and photos from my deceased parents, and my from my wife's deceased parents and grandparents; I decided to digitize everything and not put my children through the ordeal. My flatbed scanner was too labor-intensive and time consuming for the task. I bought the NEAT System. It is great for receipts and certain papers, but not fast enough...especially for two-sided documents. Then, I learned about the Fujitsu S1300i. Two-sided, sheet feeder that scans documents rapidly and files them wherever I indicate, either on site or in the cloud. Plus, the quality is superb! Additionally, I discovered how easy it is to continually feed photos. The output is .jpg, and the resolution can be increased substantially--that setting slows down the scanning speed, but is still faster than laying my photos on the flatbed scanner.
Te Fujitsu will get a good workout for a long time as I will be digitizing my life...probably until I die.
on July 6, 2013
I debated for months whether to buy the NeatDesk scanner (great software, not-so-great hardware) or the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i (great hardware, less-than-perfect software), finally opting for the latter. Now, after quite a few weekends of digitizing and shredding, I am convinced I made the right choice. While I still like the NeatDesk software, mostly because it purportedly recognizes receipt components -- store name, date, price, etc. -- the ScanSnap software does what it's supposed to do. (I haven't used the Rack2 app yet because it looks so hokey -- think Microsoft Bob, if you are old enough.) The only barrier to a five-star rating is the fact that the software doesn't consider PDFs created by Adobe Acrobat as searchable. So any PDF that is not scanned by the ScanSnap is opened in Acrobat instead of ScanSnap Manager. It's a relatively minor complaint, but it cost Fujitsu the ultimate star.
on September 13, 2012
There has been much written about this scanner and it would be hard to add additional details. I'm very pleased with the scanner. It's not perfect (mostly software related), but the scanner itself is very well designed and made. I will leave a comment about Amazon's recommendation (additional items) that you typically find. They recommended the case, which is a good recommendation and a USB cable (making me think that it might be needed). The cable recommended doesn't even fit this scanner. Very disappointed in Amazon, but very pleased with this particualr product.
on July 19, 2012
This product is amazing and handy and light and... I cannot say enough good things about it. I am in the process of scanning in our photographs from years ago, and the choices for compression and colors, etc is amazing. The files can be as big or as small as you like. And, you can create profiles for each different scanning type you wish to perform.
Works great for scanning directly to Evernote, too. We are moving to being a paperless (or reduced!) household. Get this! And I don't think you need to spend the cash on the 1500. IMO.
44 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse