5.0 out of 5 stars Great Treats. My GSD loves them!
Published 9 months ago by R. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars One little detail that can spell disaster...
*Note: the following is a non-professional assessment based upon research papers that have been made available to the public. I am not a credentialed canine nutritionist, nor do I hold affiliation with any competing company in the industry. This is my honest opinion as a concerned pet owner.*

At first glance, Full Moon treats are fantastic. They don't contain...
Published 11 months ago by Ciaran

2.0 out of 5 stars One little detail that can spell disaster..., August 2, 2013
This review is from: Full Moon Natural Dog Treats Chicken Strips, 12.5 Ounces (Misc.)

At first glance, Full Moon treats are fantastic. They don't contain any of the usual suspects (artificial flavors, corn, soy etc.), the ingredients are sourced from the good ole' USA, and they are made with human-grade meat. If you're not informed about dog food-grade meats, I suggest a few internet searches - be warned, you will be horrified at what you have been feeding your furry friend!

With a reasonable amount of knowledge under my belt about canine nutrition, I felt comfortable giving these treats a try with our two rescue pups. It wasn't until the second purchase from a local store that I started to put two and two together. When our younger pup started throwing up here and there, I wasn't overly concerned at first - sometimes he'll swallow some fur from a stuffed animal toy and throw it up (perfectly normal and even desirable natural instinct) and around the same time he threw up in the car. Nasty yellow bile it was, and initially we thought he might be developing car sickness. You can imagine that with these circumstances, our first thought wasn't the new treats we were feeding sparingly.

After purchasing the second bag of chicken strips from full moon, I started to notice that within 12 hours of eating a piece of strips, Nico started throwing up. Uncharacteristically, I hadn't checked out the company before purchasing them, and I hadn't checked Amazon reviews. I wish I had. Jumping on the internet, I tried to find some information about Full Moon. None. This was the first red flag. I then came over to Amazon to research reviews, and lo and behold found two reviews mentioning dogs vomiting and getting sick on these treats. The rest went in the trash, and I put my Google-fu to work.

The ONLY suspect ingredient in these treats is green tea extract. At first I though the vinegar might be the issue, but found plenty of research on the benefits of vinegar for dogs (in moderation), but after trawling through several research papers (links in the comments of this review) I came across a study of the effects of green tea extract, tested on both dogs that were both fasted (empty stomach) and non-fasted (full stomach). In fasted dogs, the following was found:

---------------------------------------------------------
"Recent chronic toxicity studies performed on green tea extracts in fasted dogs have revealed some unique dose-limiting lethal liver, gastrointestinal, and renal toxicities. Key findings included necrosis of hepatic cells, gastrointestinal epithelia and renal tubules, atrophy of reproductive organs, atrophy and necrosis of hematopoietic tissues, and associated hematological changes."

- Green tea extract-induced lethal toxicity in fasted but not in nonfasted dogs, Wu KM, Yao J, Boring D. - PubMed (2011)
---------------------------------------------------------

Another very similar research paper stated:

---------------------------------------------------------
"All three groups of animals being administered PPE on an empty stomach exhibited gastro-intestinal irritation as evidenced by vomiting, mild diarrhea/loose stool and/or red material in the run occasionally. These symptoms were totally absent when PPE was not administered on an empty stomach."

- Exposure and Toxicity of Green Tea Polyphenols in Fasted and Non-Fasted Dogs, I.M. Kapetanovic,a J.A. Crowell,a R. Krishnaraj,b A. Zakharov,b M. Lindeblad,b and A. Lyubimovb - PubMed (2009)
---------------------------------------------------------

Now, I'm not a certified canine nutritionist, nor am I a researcher of any kind. I can however, with some certainty, now say that the only correlating factor between the occurrences of vomiting from Nico (each episode of two throwings up two weeks apart) was that all four times he was given one of these Full Moon strips he was vomiting within 12 hours. Whether it was on a empty stomach, I cannot recall, however if these research papers are to be given credibility, we simply do NOT know whether green tea extract is entirely safe for dogs yet.

Because I am NOT an expert in this field, I have awarded this product two stars rather than one - there is some merit in the human-grade chicken and lack of artificial products and other fillers. That said, I cannot recommend this product without strong reservations due to the effect that it had on one of our dogs. Poppy, our slightly older rescue pup, showed no external signs of gastrointestinal distress. She grew up on the streets and may have a more developed immunity to toxic foods, an important factor in my mind.

I cannot recommend these treats at this time. If Full Moon wants to be taken seriously in the human-grade, premium treats industry, I think it's high time they step out of the shadows and get their website finished. It's poor form for a company to be in production on a national scale without information that is easily obtained by the public. If they would like to publicly address their customers' concerns about illness induced by their treats, I will gladly offer them space on my website to do so. Until then, this is a product to avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Treats. My GSD loves them!, October 24, 2013
R. Brown (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I saw these online and recently purchased at a local Wal-Mart. They are great for the price compared to other Made in the USA treats with this quality. The stips have the least ingredients (3- chicken, vinegar, and green tea), which is something else I look for when buying dog foods, all from the USA. I'm not sure why someone's dog would get sick from Green Tea (as mentioned in another review), it's used in GNC pet products also (which I give to my dog as well, vitamins and pro/prebiotics) and has never made my dog sick. Perhaps that dog has a specific alergy, but you can't blame the product for that, or you gave the dog too much. I was checking for a good deal on Amazon and saw the horrible review - I couldn't let this good product get trashed without adding my positive experience to the lot. The research I've read states that green tea has the same health benefits for dogs as it does for humans; including boosting their immune system. It also states not to give your dog unhealthy amounts of Green Tea because it can upset their digestive functions. As long as you follow the feeding guide (as with any food or suplimental treats) you shouldn't run into any issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars No issues here with my dog, October 22, 2013
Before you feed your dog any food or treat you need to know their diet and what they can handle as well as what things dogs should never ingest and go from there. I feed these to my dog in small amounts he doesn't get manufactured treats often maybe 1-2 times a week and he only gets like a quarter of a strip. He is a very healthy muscular dog weighing in at 26lbs and he's never gotten sick. All his other treats are homemade and he only eats holistic dog food. I most likely won't buy these again but I will continue to let him snack on them from time to time seeing as it hasn't effected him in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our new favorite treats, July 12, 2014
Jack, our loving German Shepherd loves these treats. We play the game of hide the Chicken Strips in our pockets and watch him go wild trying to get to them. There's NO hiding these tasty treats. He knows exactly where they are at all times. Would definitely recommend and buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dogs love these things, July 10, 2014
My dogs love these things! We're health nuts and so I wouldn't give my dogs anything I wouldn't eat myself... Yes! I tried it myself and they are great :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best dog treats on the market, by far.., July 7, 2014
My dog find these treats to be very enjoyable, I can't get the bag open fast enough. Unlike a lot of high end treats these are easy to buy online or in my local Walmart. I like that the ingredients are human grade and she seems to think the world of them. So far we have tried the chicken strips and turkey sausages. Looking forward to trying more. Yes I would recommend them to my fellow pet owners. GREAT U.S.A PRODUCT

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I Found the Perfect Dog Treat, July 7, 2014
Brittany Dorsey (Gaithersburg, MD) - See all my reviews
I recently bought these treats while browsing through the doggy section in my grocery store and I'm so happy I settled on Full Moon! Patches, my Brittany dog (yes, we have the same name) is very picky and usually turns her nose to treats. She absolutely LOVES these strips! When I opened the bag and gave her a small piece, she started running around and acting like a puppy (she's 10 years old). I honesty haven't seen her this excited in a really long time. It made me so happy to know I did that, just by choosing this wonderful product which is 100% made here in the USA with ingredients that I would use in my kitchen! Can't beat that. I was a little concerned because of the reviews about these treats causing vomiting, but my Patches has been eating them for the past few weeks with no tummy issues at all. I think I will go back and try a different recipe next time!

4.0 out of 5 stars NO PROBLEM HERE, June 12, 2014
MY COCKER HAS BEEN EATING THESE AT LEAST 6 MONTHS AND WE'VE HAD NO PROBLEM THAT I CAN SEE. I JUST FEED HER ABOUT 1 INCH AT A TIME.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad for your dog, September 23, 2013
Causes dogs to vomit..DO NOT BUY, SEE OTHER COMMENT..MY DOG VOMITED FROM THESE TREATS BECAUSE OF GREEN TEA EXTRACT! They should be recalled ASAP, TOXIC!

Rate and Discover Movies