Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: Hardcover-spiralChange

on November 25, 2009
Hi, I'm Joe Hamilton. Nearly two years ago I was in a meeting with the people that wrote this book. I watched how they ate and listened to what they said. With no advice or help I simply followed the principles they were talking about. There was no Full Plate Diet at the time so I had to follow with memory what I'd seen. It wasn't hard and I didn't starve or suffer at all. I laugh because sometimes I think, "if only I'd had the book", but very simply the results are the same. It's just simple.

I was a really huge guy. Nearly 300 pounds. In the first 3 months I lost 45 lbs just following the concepts you can find in the book. I was so glad to see the recipes and concepts laid out for everyone to follow. I ended up coming down to 192 lbs. I really didn't exercise at all. My weight has not gone back up. This IS the real deal.

I've read the book and give it my personal stamp of approval.

I also need to say thank you for helping to change my life.
If it's been more than 3 months since I visited with friends, they actually don't recognize me until I actually tell them who I am.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2010
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2009
This is an outstanding diet book because it is based on sound nutritional principles. I'm a retired family physician who has studied nutritional principles all my professional life. I'm usually skeptical of books with "Diet" in the title, because they usually promote some kind of fad diet, and I've seen dozens of such diets come and go. This book is different. It is based on solid science, but it is also very attractively presented. The illustrations are great. They are plentiful, very appealing, and always supportive of the written text. The authors have done an excellent job of presenting complex nutritional concepts in clear concise language that is very easy to follow. The title of the book summarizes the basic concept beautifully. A plate full of colorful veggies and whole grains is high in fiber, very nutritious, and filling, and yet, if one needs to lose weight, this Full Plate Diet is tremendously helpful in reaching that goal.
In addition to giving excellent nutritional guidance, the book is well organized. Early chapters begin with a clear explanation of the Full Plate concept, its benefits, and how to get started. Subsequent chapters go on with clear descriptions and illustrations of the best high fiber foods and delightful recipes. Later chapters give advice about eating at work, at restaurants, and on the road, as well as giving guidance on how to shop at grocery stores. The authors get high marks for presenting excellent health information in such an attractive, easy-to-read book. They have my congratulations!
on January 4, 2010
So many health and diet related books promote complete overhauls that are difficult to commit to for the long-term. Often times, I would start with yet another diet and hope that my determination would make the change last "for real". Inevitably the diet would be so different from my normal eating habits, routine, cooking style, and preferences that I would go back completely to my "usual ways" within a few weeks (or days!).

Not so with The Full Plate Diet! By promoting step by step ADDITIONS to my normal routine as well as sensible substitution suggestions, the diet truly has become a lifestyle change without me ever noticing!

The book walks the reader through different food categories, with memorable nutrition and preparation information that empowers to make better decisions within one's normal daily routine.

The pictures and descriptions of the various (healthy) foods are brilliant! Just in flipping through the pages, one is left craving a ripe avocado or bowl of black beans. There's also very helpful recipes for someone without a lot of time. The online community provides even further support with more recipes and helpful tips.

Highly recommended!
on December 8, 2009
I wish everything in life was this easy to get great results. Simply powerup the stuff you already like with high fiber add-on's and stop eating when you are full.

While I don't need to loose much weight, one simple idea in this book has worked for me to keep me at the lower end of my natural weight. I had never eaten flax seeds in my life until I read this book. They have the highest level of fiber of just about anything and they taste great. I sprinkle them on my cereal, my tuna fish sandwich, and vegtables. Think of them as sesame seeds. You can put them on anything.

You can go from the low end of your recommended daily fiber to the high end by just spinkling a teaspoon here and there on the things you already eat.

I even mix them with non-fat yogurt for dessert.

And I can feel the difference. I fill up faster and with less food.

This book is awesome because of it's simplicity.

Like I said I only picked one idea of 100's in the book....Flax Seeds !!
on December 6, 2009
Throw out all your other "Diet" books; this is healthy eating done right!
This book is short and to the point. Here is an outline of of the simple, feasible, and fun things you'll find inside:

Simple - add Fiber to your diet.

Feasible - you are already eating foods that contain fiber - just eat more of those.
Follow the 9 colorful 'Fiber Wheels' (Pg. 84) for hundreds of fast, easy recipes...pasta wheel, smoothie wheel, pizza wheel, etc.!
Look at the Fast-Food Ratings (Pg. 127) to see if your favorites make the healthy/fiber cut.
Cut out the Grocery List (Pg. 159) and take it with you to the grocery store!

Fun - Interesting factoids, (to dazzle your friends with), on the 'Top 25' High Fiber foods (Pg. 44), alongside completely useful information.

Feel Good about "The Full Plate Diet"! -
The book lists 12 ways fiber foods will improve you and your life (Pg.16) - and they're scientifically proven.
The 3 healthcare professional authors work for a Non-profit - and "The Full Plate Diet" is backed by years of helping diabetics (and others) get healthy, lose weight, and stay that way!

Get healthy, stay healthy, "The Full Plate Diet" will show you how. I love it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2010
As an internal medicine specialist who has worked with patients for the past 25 years trying to encourage them to eat healthfully, exercise and maintain a normal weight, this is the 1st book I've seen that is medically sound and easy for people to follow. Instead of telling people what NOT to eat, it emphasizes all the fruits, nuts, veggies, grains that fill you up and keep you healthy! I thought I knew alot about nutrition, but I learned something new every few pages. Who would have guessed that raspberries have so much more fiber than bananas?

The book is also a very practical guide when it rates restaurant foods by green, yellow and red lights. It's reassuring to know that you can get some healthy food at fast food restaurants.

Rebekah Wang-Cheng, MD, FACP, Medical Director for Clinical Quality at Kettering Medical Center, Dayton, OH
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
I started off 2009 with a goal to lose 20 pounds. I joined a gym at the start of the year. Watched what I ate. And made slow progress towards my goal. Then I was asked if I'd like to be part of a trial group about a brand new book to be released in 2010 called The Full Plate Diet. I joined the group. Read the book and lost the weight. And it was easy. I don't think of the information shared by this book as "diet" (something temporary that one does for as long as they can stand before ending it -- as "diet" as come to mean in America) but more as a healthy lifestyle change. I'm still eating the foods I enjoy, but opting for higher fiber content. As an example, my bread growing up as a child was white bread. I changed to whole wheat bread as an adult. The Full Plate Diet showed me how changing to a Double Fiber Bread (6 grams of fiber per slice vs. 2 in whole wheat) added healthy fiber to my diet and helped me to lose weight. Sometimes finding the high fiber foods at the market can be a fun scavenger type hunt, but once located weekly shopping trips become fast and easy. My kitchen is stocked with only foods I enjoy. But each one is filled with the highest fiber I can find. My favorite exercise is walking and in good weather I try for 10,000 steps a day. I also own & enjoy my Nordic Track and try to log 30-minutes a day on that. Round out my fitness routine with sit-ups & push-ups and you can see I'm not a gym rat. Just a person who is trying to stay fit and healthy, and enjoy every day life has to offer. The Full Plate Diet was the perfect addition to this lifestyle program for me. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits too.
on December 8, 2009
This is the easiest and healthiest diet you will ever try and be on for a lifetime! The reason this diet is so great is that there isn't any keeping track of numbers, no writing anything down. You don't have to limit your portions, although as you add fiber you will eat less and as you eat healthier, you will eat less. If you are not a fan of meetings both public and online, counting, keeping track of everything you put in your mouth, then this is the diet for you. I am working my way slowly to eating more fiber and I am seeing results. I have only lost a couple of pounds so far, but I feel better and find myself exercising a little more because of feeling better. There isn't any pressure here and also I found out for me, taking it slowly is probably best for my personality. I have been on Weight Watchers several times and the minute I leave, I gain the weight back, but I can't afford to pay for WW forever! The principles here are the same, but there isn't the same pressure and I feel I can follow this plan as a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet and more yo-yo dieting in my future. I don't see how this diet can't work for anyone. I hate dieting and it's working for me.
on January 4, 2010
Finally, a diet book that's not about diet at all. It's about LIVING! I've read the book, want to buy another copy for my wife and one for each of my five daughters and another for my daughter in law. Why? Because I love them and when you read this book, you feel like the doctors and writers wrote it because they love you too. They cared enough to write it!

Marley Porter Architect