4.0 out of 5 stars good!
Published on June 11, 2006 by Dondi

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Disappointing.
As an avid Kim Harrison fan, I read this book when she recommended it on her website. Her other recommendation, Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, was an excellent read, so I dug into Full Moon Rising with high hopes, but was disappointed.

Published on May 9, 2006 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Disappointing., May 9, 2006

Unlike other reviewers, Riley's promiscuity didn't bother me (although the idea that werewolves lose an entire week each month because they are driven to do nothing but have constant sex makes me wonder how they stayed employed, and also seemed like a contrived plot device). What bothered me were predictable, one-dimensional characters (when the secondary characters like Rhoan's boyfriend become more sympathetic than the main ones, there is a problem), a plot that lacks cohesion and focus, and silly twists that make you roll your eyes at both the story line and the character's actions. The premise was interesting, and this could have been a much better book than it is. Instead it's yet another mediocre offering in a genre that's becoming flooded with poor quality works. There are much better books out there to spend your money on. Check out Kelley Armstrong, Robin McKinley (Sunshine), and Kim Harrison, to name a few.

3.0 out of 5 stars Give A Dog A Bone, March 16, 2007
L. J Lewis "Miss Amii" (Collierville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian) (Mass Market Paperback)
Keri Arthur is Australian author whose work I've been a fan of for some years. Unfortunately, she's had to publish under ImaJin Books, an indy publisher whose books are rather difficult to find and really expensive. I loved Dancing with the Devil and Circle of Fire, so it was with great joy that I ordered her mass market debut Full Moon Rising. I'm not sure I would have passed on it if I'd known even the slightest thing about the premise before hand, but it would have dampened my enthusiasm. I honestly love the urban fantasy genre, but when I read book blurbs like "...a sassy, sexy werewolf whose just gone into heat..." I know I'm heading for mediocrity-ville.

Full Moon Rising takes place in a future version of Australia (something I didn't figure out until the halfway point). Supernaturals of all kinds blend in with human society. Directorate acts as the police force for this community of Others. Riley Jenson is vampire/werewolf hybrid. Being more wolf than vamp, she is overcome for a week every month with Moon Fever, which makes her constantly amorous in the time period around the full moon. She is secretary for the Directorate, but her boss wants her become a Guardian, the muscle of the organization. Her twin brother Rhoan goes missing and she must find him. His disappearance is connected to something even more sinister, and Riley and Quinn, a vampire who is also seeking a missing friend, have to solve the mystery.

I really appreciate that Arthur tried to involve an engaging plot in what is essentially another book in that noxious publishing trend that has taken over the genre: Tough Girl shags anything and everything for Great Justice! The problem is the plot contrivance used to get Riley into hormonal overdrive is not compatible with sleuthing. The Moon Fever causes Riley to constantly need sex, often at the most inappropriate times and it makes her come off as a complete bonehead. It's a shame, because I suspect she would be a pleasant main character if she weren't forced into lust-fueled idiocy by the plot. So desperate for sex she is that she is completely blind-sided by two skeevy evil boyfriends and engages in a rather emotionally charged affair with another guy whom constantly calls her a ho even as indulged himself in her ho-charms. And not in the "Come give Big Daddy a kiss" way, but rather the "Here's fifty buck on the dresser" way. Why her boss wants her in a more important position in the Directorate when she acts like a complete dunce for 25% of the year is beyond me.

Unfortunately, the slightly interesting mystery disengages itself from the novel almost entirely at the midway point. This novel is written in first person, so anything Riley doesn't take part in, the reader only hears about in passing. Increasingly other people do all the investigating work while Riley goes skanking it up all around Melbourne. For example, her brother goes to break into a suspect's office to find out who is behind a nefarious cloning scheme. Riley on the other hand goes to a werewolf sex club to pump one of her evil, skeevy boyfriends for information (and other things) with great gusto even though she already knows he is evil, skeevy, and wants to do bad things to her.

The final confrontation with the story's villain is so utterly ridiculous, it almost makes the non-climax of recent Laurell K Hamilton books look good in comparison. Riley, after being kidnapped by the bad guy, must fight her way out of his high security laboratory. A duel in werewolf form between the two seems eminent. There is a brief scuffle and then Riley settles things by playing with the bad guy's wing-dang-doodle. My jaw hit the floor, and I had to reread that section three times to believe what I had just read.

To top it all off, to get the complete story behind the mystery, there are three more books to buy. Will I read them? I don't know. I know Keri Arthur is capable of much better, and maybe she can reach that point if the next couple books feature a Riley unencumbered by the Moon Fever.

1.0 out of 5 stars She's making a series out of this?, January 29, 2007
D. Black "Paike" (NOVA, United States) - See all my reviews
While this proved to be a quick read, I really felt that I shouldn't have been able to skim chapters at a time and still understand what was going on. That's a tell-tale sign that there's very little plot and character development. The fact that Arthur ends her book with a semi-cliffhanger was yet another disappointment. I would much rather have had a more sensical plot in one book, than a contrive one over multiple books.

Her main character Riley is unrelatable. There's no nuiance to her. She's yet another hardboiled female character to join the ranks of the over-exposed and increasing derived Anita Blake character.

Even though this was placed in the genre of "paranormal romance," I found very little in the story to identify it as a romance. Sex does not a romance make. The promiscuity of the werewolves make them very ineffective characters.

Also, the concept of a lab for testing creatures of the underworld is such an unoriginal concept. It's been around since Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and has been revived in sometimes intelligent ways (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Kelley Armstrong's "Stolen"), but this rehash came across as staid.

Many authors have caught the wave of paranormal fiction, and those who have done is successfully have taken the time to bring a sense of originality and intelligence to their characters and stories. Ms. Arthur's novel falls way short of such aspirations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meanwhile..., April 8, 2006
I couldn't agree more with some of the reviewer here. Yes. I did see many similarities is D.N.Simmons, LKH and Charlaine Harris, Joss Whedon and Kelley Armstrong. But that's to be expected in this genre, so I don't really "stress" that part of it. What matters is WHAT you do with it.

"Full Moon Rising" had potential to be a better book, but after reading it, I feel as though this author went on ahead and did what a great deal of other authors are doing, including Laurell K. Hamilton and that's feel up blank pages in their books with gratuitous sex and all things related.

Not only that, but I also feel as though, when writing some of the plot scenarios many authors, Keri included are so wrapped up in trying to make it "exciting" or "funny" or "clever" that they fail to make sure that it "make sense".

For instance. In the scene where Riley tries to rescue her brother with the aid of Quinn, they are planning to infiltrate the lab that has her brother, she and Quinn engage in a three page discussion about how much they want to screw each other and how hot the other looks to them. MEANWHILE her brother is STILL trapped!

There are other scenes where she can use telepathy and control people's minds to make them do what she wants them to do. Okay, cool little feature right? But when she goes through great lengths to put on a charade just to get into the lab, it seems a bit ridiculous in the end when she just hypnotizes the guards to do what she wants. The book could have been over a while ago with that much mental power. It was like the plot and characters contradicted each other.

Yes, Riley's obsession with sex blew the plot to pieces. Not only that but she took the time to stop the action to tell you about every other inconsequential details about EVERYTHING that ever popped up in the story. Includes the tale about her landlords dead husband.

I wanted to like this story, because I simply LOVE this genre, but this book added nothing. It would have been better if the author had made sure the plot made sense and limited the amount of sexual related detail in the book.

There's nothing wrong with sex, but it shouldn't overshadow everything else in a novel. I might give this series another chance, but first I'm going to skim.

I'd highly recommend reading D.N. Simmons as another reviewer stated. That is a series with plenty of action and awesome/appropriate sex scenes. Also Kelley Armstrong's Bitten.

4.0 out of 5 stars good!, June 11, 2006
It read like the Anita Blake Series. The story is told from Riley's viewpoint. She has a twin brother, Rhoan, who has disappeared. They both work for the same agency. The only difference is that Rhoan is an assasin. What makes the twins different from the rest of the characters, is that they are dhampires. They are a combination of werewolves and vampires. Rhoan is more vampire than wolf and needs to drink blood. Riley is more werewolf and has more telepathic abilities. She has a stronger sexual urge than her brother.

I love the fact that the characters in this book are not sexually inhibited. I would think that other creatures or species especially ones that are like wolves are not afraid of their nakedness. The description of the clubs is interesting.

Quinn, a very old vampire, shows up on Riley's doorstep and claims to know Rhoan. Riley does not trust him which is refreshing that a female character does not immediately trust and fall in love with the male character.

I did find the book kind of predictable perhaps, it is because I have read so many other books like this one. It is refreshing to read that the setting is in Australia. It is very different for this genre. I did want this book to continue. At the end, it did feel like a cliffhanger. I bet that she is going to have a sequel. I want to see what happens with Riley and Rhoan next.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could it get any worse?, June 26, 2007
This was, without question, the worst book I have ever read! I can't imagine trying to get through the rest of this series; I hardly read through this book, I kept turning the pages hoping for it to develop a decent plot...no such luck.
I like reading paranormals, especially when the author's imagination brings about originality! But this?
The heroine is in moon fever for the entire book. The one week in every month where she has to have sex constantly! I could even have dealt with this development if it had been toned down, but no. She has sex with three different men throughout, two of which don't seem to mind this at all. And she is so far gone in her fever that she doesn't mind being betrayed, insulted, drugged, and raped by her lovers!
Where did Keri Arthur come from?

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here...move along please...., April 4, 2007
I picked up 'Full Moon Rising' on a lark as I was searching for new authors in the genre and I was hoping for a read like Patricia Briggs or Carrie Vaughn. What Keri Arthur delivers is a paranormal romance plain and simple. If that is what you like then read this book. If you prefer urban fantasy then go with the other two authors mentioned above.

I found I really didn't care about or identify with Riley's predicament or life and I've read better sex (and better plots) in other books. I have skimmed the other books in this series and I have to say that they are just the same.

Again, if you are a paranormal romance reader (Feehan, Krinard, or the like) then you'll probably enjoy this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, August 22, 2007
The story could be interesting, but the writing is very disappointing. The sex scenes are just *awful*, and the pacing is off. Save your money - this is another author trying to cash in on the sex-and-supernatural trend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Main character is a Hussy, June 9, 2011
I like a good sex scene when it's between the heroine and her main love interest, and after you get to know the characters some. It builds up that way! This character just wants to have sex with everyone though, even people she just meets. Just one meaningless sex scene after another, and it's all she thinks about. It's not even good sex, but absolutely boring.

As for the setting and plot? Who could notice it between all the unimaginative sex scenes. Can't believe this was published.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get It From The Library, May 2, 2007
I'm usually pretty easy-going about most of the books I read. I give them the benefit of the doubt. This is one book that I had high hopes for when I saw that others in the series have already been published. Unfortunately, this was a let-down.

First of all, the positives.

I liked the general idea of the Directorate being an agency of Weres and Vampires. The universe the author created has some interesting takes on the society not frequented by humans and this seems to have some definite potential for story lines. I also liked the futuristic and science aspects that were introduced and thought it was interesting to have the story take place in the future. It was also nice to see an Australian setting rather than someplace like yet another story set in New Orleans. I thought that some of the characters were appealing with their bit of mystery (such as Quinn and Liander). And, at the start, I had high hopes that this book would have a likeable, intelligent and strong female lead character who would combine Werewolve and vampire traits in some unique way.

What didn't cut it for me was the fact that this lead character, Riley, wasn't likeable or smart at all. She came across as a hormone driven hussy who has no idea what happens to her when she's "mating" with some men. Even though it is established that she is at the beck and call of the moon, I still didn't buy her uncontrollable urge to mate with the nearest willing male no matter how inconvenient or how physically incapable she might be at the time. To top it off, she's not even clever enough or able to control herself enough to avoid "mates" that she knows are trouble after she realizes that she is uncomfortable with them and has times where she doesn't remember what's happened during her "escapades". Then, in spite of her personal beliefs, she'll sleep with these guys one more time anyway... just because of work and the moon, y'know... It's not her fault. Shades of Anita Blake anyone?

In the end, I'm glad I took the book out of the library and didn't purchase it myself. I may even read the next in the series (from the library, of course) just to see if my hopes pan out at all and Riley somehow redeems herself. I would love to see the character turn into a stronger, more controlled woman. But truthfully, my hopes aren't high.

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian)
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian) by Keri Arthur (Mass Market Paperback - December 26, 2006)
$7.99 $7.19